PDA

View Full Version : MM3- a complete evolution in how he's viewed

Packers4Glory
09-16-2011, 08:20 AM
by me specifically.

I really believed for the longest time that he was a good coach, but something was missing in that he wasn't going to get us to the big game. I thought maybe he was best suited to be an OC. The team was a penalty machine for 2-3 seasons in a row w/ no end in sight. That might have annoyed me more than anything else. Maybe that was an ignorant view.

But seeing the entire picture from start to now, you can see that he's grown a lot as a coach and now I view him as one of the top guys in the game.

He's surrounded himself w/ an excellent staff, ST excluded, and even made the ballsy call to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and get a bad ass DC in Capers.

I'll always first and 2nd guess some play calls, but wow, I was ready for him to be gone and now I hope he sticks around because continuity is an under-valued trait in the NFL, and we can see the fruits of having a stable coach and a relatively stable coaching staff. It's also apparent that Mike works extremely well w/ young players which is going to be a calling card of a Thompson ran team. which means having a coach at the helm for the long term won't eventually be a detriment like maybe how Tom Coughlin is now in NY. The team has aged and his style has grown stale. I'm not sure that will happen in GB w/ the way Thompson constructs his roster...plus MM3 isn't an overbearing guy.

It's amazing how a super bowl victory can completely change your view and make you step back and re-examine previous misconceptions.

sorry if nobody cares, but I started a thread about getting rid of the guy so its only right I eat my crow in the same manner.

In Mike we trust.....

Smidgeon
09-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Very eloquently stated.

I think TT and M3 pair really well together. Really complementary.

hoosier
09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't call you old view of MM ignorant. Things including the penalities, the special teams ineptitude, the annual disorder on the OL: those things all point back to McCarthy and his ability to instill a culture of responsibility in his players and coaching staff. I agree that last year's late run shed an almost entirely new light on McCarthy. The Packers could easily have missed the playoffs even after beating NYG and Chi (for instance, if Tampa had taken care of business against Detroit). Had things gone down like that, I suspect that the shadow of doubt lingering over MM would have grown stronger instead of lifting.

Packers4Glory
09-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't call you old view of MM ignorant. Things including the penalities, the special teams ineptitude, the annual disorder on the OL: those things all point back to McCarthy and his ability to instill a culture of responsibility in his players and coaching staff. I agree that last year's late run shed an almost entirely new light on McCarthy. The Packers could easily have missed the playoffs even after beating NYG and Chi (for instance, if Tampa had taken care of business against Detroit). Had things gone down like that, I suspect that the shadow of doubt lingering over MM would have grown stronger instead of lifting.

probably w/ some people. However the way the team played and competed in spite of all the fawking injuries was a testament to MM. This team could have, and prob should have, folded up shop and waited till next yr. Not only did it validate MM3 as a coach, but it also validated Ted's strategy as a team builder. I still wish he'd dip into FA a bit more if the resources are there for a need. That Woodson guy panned out.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:34 AM
After last season Lions debacle last season thought MM was another Sherman. Peter King at SI was saying MM was slightly in trouble if the Packers failed to make the playoffs.

MM has evolved into a premier head coach. Always a respected offensive mind, MM is clearly a top NFL head coach.

Pugger
09-16-2011, 11:55 AM
But MM3 never gets the accolades nationally that other coaches without his success (like Reid) enjoy. I'd bet if you asked a fan of another team outside of the NFCN who our HC was you'd probably get a blank stare.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 12:03 PM
But MM3 never gets the accolades nationally that other coaches without his success (like Reid) enjoy. I'd bet if you asked a fan of another team outside of the NFCN who our HC was you'd probably get a blank stare.

MM is not a self promoter like Rex Ryan. BB acts mysterious. Peter King says MM is not a great public speaker (disagree) which is probably why the general public is unaware of MM.

mraynrand
09-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Stubby is OK. A Superbowl win papers over your shortcomings. Stubby has a few, but man did he coach lights out last season. He made that team believe in themselves. I think that's the mark of the greatest coaches.

Upnorth
09-16-2011, 12:44 PM
He lets the leaders lead, which is great leadership in and of itself. I still think he has some weakness, and would put BB, Reid and Tomin at the elite level. MM is probably a top 5 coach, but has flaws still. We may all have SB blinders at this point.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Blinders indicates fluke. IMO this is not a fluke given the numerous obstacles to overcome. But only winning multiple super bowls erases all doubts.

Packers4Glory
09-16-2011, 02:05 PM
He lets the leaders lead, which is great leadership in and of itself. I still think he has some weakness, and would put BB, Reid and Tomin at the elite level. MM is probably a top 5 coach, but has flaws still. We may all have SB blinders at this point.

what has Reid ever won? He's had some pretty damn good teams that ultimately came up short in big games and a super bowl loss

Fritz
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM
One aspect of MM that no one could predict would be his ability to evolve and change. He's grown in his job, like folks sometimes do. He seems more relaxed with the team, and now he's got the authority of A Ring.

sharpe1027
09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure whether Caper's hiring and the switch to 3-4 should be credited more to MM or TT. Also, while he seems to have a good coaching staff now, IMO he still held on to guys like Shottenheimer too long.

I do give MM credit for a lot of the offensive success including:

1) gradually shifting the blocking scheme to account for a change in players and poor success at running the ball,
2) adding successful wrinkles on offense: using two FBs and a HB, multiple uses for TEs (as FB, WR or traditional TE positions) depending on the defense, and generally adjusting their play calling to suit the individual player's strengths.

Packers4Glory
09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure whether Caper's hiring and the switch to 3-4 should be credited more to MM or TT. Also, while he seems to have a good coaching staff now, IMO he still held on to guys like Shottenheimer too long.

I do give MM credit for a lot of the offensive success including:

1) gradually shifting the blocking scheme to account for a change in players and poor success at running the ball,
2) adding successful wrinkles on offense: using two FBs and a HB, multiple uses for TEs (as FB, WR or traditional TE positions) depending on the defense, and generally adjusting their play calling to suit the individual player's strengths.

well we forget this was his first pro HC job. There were going to be rough spots and a learning curve. A lot of coaches get swallowed up like a high draft pick QB behind a shitty O-line and get canned in just a couple seasons. MM did grow in his job and learned and evolved into a damn fine coach. It was a work in progress and there were growing pains. Now we are getting a coach coming into his own along w/ a QB coming into his own. The future looks bright

Upnorth
09-16-2011, 07:51 PM
He is probably the best qb coach in the league, and that is very important. He is a great leader and relates very well with his players. I would like to see him better at half time adjustments and playing with a lead. It seems like we come out and get a lead in the first half, and theb the other team catches up in the second half. Once he gets better at playing with a lead, he will be a top 2 or 3 coach (IMO).

gbgary
09-16-2011, 10:06 PM
at one point i wanted to see his head roll but the last two years i've turned 180* on him. great coach and has all the players respect.

vince
09-17-2011, 01:30 AM
McCarthy was an innovative offensive mind, a developer of QB's, and a strong leader since the day he arrived. He molded the youngest team in the league for 3 or 4 years in a row into a Super Bowl Champion. Sure there were some growing pains associated with inexperience with lack of discipline and consistently knowing how to win, but I attribute those shortcomings to youth and inexperience as much as the coaching.

The year before he fired the defensive staff, the old staff, includng Schottenheimer and Vanilla Bob Sanders, produced a top 10 defense. The first year they regressed, he canned them all and implemented a higly successful new philosophy with Capers and Co. It's hard to say he held on to the old staff too long when they produced strong results the year prior. It doesn't make a bunch of sense to start canning assistants mid-season.

Sure he's evolved and the team has developed, but I see a pretty consistent coach from '06 to today in McCarhy. I don't agree that there has been some big transformation in either his approach or abilities. He controlled Brett Favre the way that only Holmgren did before and after him, and was instrumental in the successful timing and transition from one elite QB to another.

Pugger
09-17-2011, 07:37 AM
what has Reid ever won? He's had some pretty damn good teams that ultimately came up short in big games and a super bowl loss

No kidding. Until he wins a SB he shouldn't be considered elite.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 08:40 AM

He did/does more than this. He told Woodson and Rodgers he needed them to step up as more vocal leaders during the season last year.

Iron Mike
09-17-2011, 09:12 AM
He's a redneck....
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/TVAnqFnZ_NI/AAAAAAAAlik/vOy7iCe04vI/s1600/500x_screen_shot_2011-02-07_at_9.53.31_am.jpg

Packers4Glory
09-18-2011, 11:39 AM
He did/does more than this. He told Woodson and Rodgers he needed them to step up as more vocal leaders during the season last year. I really believe in this. Teams need strong leaders aside from the coaching staff. He has everyone working on the same page.

Its going to be interesting to see how this team plays w/ a bulls eye on their backs and how they do, indeed, handle success. If MM can keep them focused and hungry this could be a special few seasons.