PDA

View Full Version : Nice King Article On #4

Packnut
08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
The paragraph about Favre telling MM he'll understand if half way through the season, MM wants to give Rodgers playing time. Kind of makes idiots out of the morons who are posting the Farve is selfish BS. Also the reason about him coming back do to what Simms said was very interesting and makes perfect sense.

Packnut
08-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry, forgot to paste.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/index.html?cnn=yes

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 01:03 PM
This is good and bad. Good that it shows Brett is not selfish, but bad because he must be expecting us getting crushed in some games because thats the only way A-Rod gets in.

mission
08-14-2006, 01:07 PM
cool article, thanks for sharing.

god, watching favre... it's so hard not to feel what (i think) he's feeling. so many years rooting for the guy, you just want to see him go out with a big ol' smile. :mrgreen:

mission
08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
This is good and bad. Good that it shows Brett is not selfish, but bad because he must be expecting us getting crushed in some games because thats the only way A-Rod gets in.

i dont know about that. brett is a saavy vet, he's been around for what, 16 years, and i think he has some realistic expections. even if being "realistic" isn't necessarily the BEST quality for a leader (versus being blindly confident) you have to understand that after last year, he's not 100% sure we're gonna go out there and be 9-7.

if not, he's saying that he wants whats best for the team and if that means getting aaron out there for a half (or game) or two this year then so be it. if he doesnt make the comment now and we are having a rough season then it creates much more of a media distraction when the time comes... not to mention even more retirement inquiries which is definitely not something we need to go full bore into during the season again.

might even spark him up a bit... who knows.

Packnut
08-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I think he's approching it realistically. The way I see it, this season he can't be undecided. If he plays well and the team is only averagre or a little below
then he has to state he's coming back for next season. If not then Rodgers need's to play the last 4 games.

Partial
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I think he's approching it realistically. The way I see it, this season he can't be undecided. If he plays well and the team is only averagre or a little below
then he has to state he's coming back for next season. If not then Rodgers need's to play the last 4 games.

Why? Rodgers gets the helm when favre is done. He is paid generously for a backup, and can and should ride the pine until favre decides to call it quits. Ideally, I think him starting in his 4th year would be the most beneficial to the club and his career.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Why? Rodgers gets the helm when favre is done. He is paid generously for a backup, and can and should ride the pine until favre decides to call it quits. Ideally, I think him starting in his 4th year would be the most beneficial to the club and his career.

I agree.

Packnut
08-14-2006, 02:01 PM

What I was trying to say is if we are 4-8 then what is the point of Brett playing IF he is'nt coming back for the next season? In that case Rodgers will need game experience if he is indeed our future. I also think that is the same point Brett is trying to make i8n this article.

Hey, I'm the biggest Favre backer on the planet as evidenced by all the arguements I have in forums when someone takes an unfair shot at him like that moron Z. However, I am above all a Packer fan and the good of the team comes first. If Brett has his mind made up that he is'nt coming back, then Rodgers need's game experience even if he only plays 2 games..

Obviously if the last game this season is Brett's last, then of course he should play.

The best case senario is for us to be competitive whith a glimer of hope for the 2007 season and Brett comes back.

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 06:18 PM

He gets in if we're dominating too... :idea:

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 06:36 PM

He gets in if we're dominating too... :idea:

When were dominating Brett has to much fun to leave.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I love Brett Favre as a Green Bay Packer, as an awesome QB,as a dedicated football player par excellence,as a role model of how to conduct yourself as a PRO athlete,as a supreme competitor, as OUR Leader, as one very excellent person and a fine MAN.

Seeing him enter possibly his final curtain call, is beyond anything I can properly put into perspective, at this time.

It sickens me, to read what some write negative about Brett Favre and especially Packer fans. Packer fans, that are in such a rush to dismiss him. I can't find anger for these people, only pity.

Brett Favre deserves one thing from Packer fans - RESPECT.

He's a classy man, and we get to see him at least, for this season. I'm so pleased he made the right decision for himself to return. Will that decision have a cost. I expect so, but DAM I am behind this GREAT GREEN BAY PACKER - all the way to that final goodbye - and that has to be all his decision based on whatever falls on him.

A decision based on where the game of NFL football has taken Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers.

Is he selfish? He's selfish to win - yes !! That's what it means to be a Pro athlete. He's not along for any ride, but to help OUR team come as it may.

I loved the story. It really tugged at my Green Bay Packer heart. As a person is he selfish?

Well all of you decide that, and note this from Peter King's story:

It also helps that Aaron Rodgers is having a good camp this summer. McCarthy even told Favre to get lost for the last five days of organized offseason practices, which meant Rodgers could get all the reps with the first unit those days.

"We found out a lot of good things about Aaron,'' McCarthy said.

"I've got a lot of confidence in him right now.''

Peter King - I asked Favre:

"What do you say to those who would say it's stupid for a guy like you to come back to a rebuilding team?'' . . . P.K.

"You mean from those people who think the Packers ain't gonna be worth a s---?'' . . . B.F.

"No,'' I said. "I mean from anyone.'' In other words, how could he say this was the most talented Green Bay team he's been around? . . . P.K.

"Well, that's fine,'' he said. . . B.F.

"I'm telling you, we're going to be OK. I know people will be surprised if we're 8-8. But who knows? This year may be better, it may not be. And if there comes a point in the season where it's like it was last year, I won't walk away, but I will totally understand if Mike says, 'We're going to look to the future.' That's fine. This thing has to be about our team, not about me.'' . . . B.F.

GO ( as in give errrr Hell ) Brett Favre. This fan willl never turn his back on YOU - MAN !!

NEVER !!! woodbuck27

My name is Ed.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Good article. What an amazing coincidence with the Simms thing.

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't know if it's all that amazing. It's all anyone talked about for 3 months. You couldn't have paid these people to shut up about it. There are a million other reasons to wish for it as well, but I hope we kick ass this season so the decision gets made early and easily this year.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 07:38 PM
But I'm sure Brett rarely listens to it. And yet he turns on his radio and there's Phil Simms (a guy I'm sure Brett has some respect for) saying exactly what he needed to hear.

Either way, I don't really care. He's back.

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
You're right. Had it been Clayton, he'd be retired right now. :lol: :shock: :sad:

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 08:32 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/Favre.jpg

This man is my ALL Time Favourite - Pro Athlete.

fan4life
08-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Excellent choice, Woodbuck.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 08:40 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/08/13/morning/Favre.jpg

This man is my ALL Time Favourite - Pro Athlete.

Records and Milestones

Favre currently possesses a number of NFL records:

** Most seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 8 (1994-1998, 2001, 2003-2004)

** Most consecutive seasons with 30 or more touchdown passes: 5 (1994-1998)

** Most consecutive seasons with 20 or more touchdown passes: 12 (1994-2005)

** Most seasons leading the league in touchdown passes: 4

** Most consecutive 3,000-yard passing seasons: 14 (1992-2005)

** Most 3,000-yard passing seasons: 14

** Most consecutive NFL MVP awards: 3 (1995, 1996, 1997 [co-MVP with Barry Sanders])

** Most NFL MVP awards: 3 (all in a row)

** Most consecutive starts by a quarterback: 221 (241 including playoffs)
Longest touchdown pass: 99 yards (to Robert Brooks, 1995) (tied with several others)

** Only five other quarterbacks in NFL history have recorded at least two consecutive 30-touchdown passing seasons in their careers: Steve Bartkowski, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Jeff Garcia and Y.A. Tittle.

** With a TD pass to RB Tony Fisher in 2005, Brett Favre broke John Elway's single-stadium record with his 181st TD pass at Lambeau Field (Elway threw 180 at Mile High Stadium)

** Favre continues to close in on several NFL career records. As of the end of the 2005 season, Favre currently stands at:

* Second all-time in career passing touchdowns, with 396 (Marino, 420)

* Second all-time in career passing yards, with 53,615 (Marino, 61,361)

* Second all-time in career pass completions, with 4,678 (Marino, 4,967)

* Second all-time in career pass attempts, with 7,610 (Marino, 8,358)

* Second all-time in career interceptions thrown, with 255 (George Blanda, 277)

* Second all-time in career games by a quarterback with 225 (Marino, 242)

* Third all-time in career record by a starting quarterback, at 139-82 (John Elway, 148-82-1)

* Third all-time in career wins as a starting QB, with 139 (Elway, 148; Marino, 147)

In addition, Favre owns a number of team records, having printed his name into almost every passing category in the annals of Green Bay Packers history.

Consecutive starts

Considered the Iron Man of the NFL, Favre is the only NFL player to have started every game his team has played over the past 14-year period.[citation needed] Brett Favre is currently in first place for consecutive NFL games started by a quarterback, and in fourth place for all-time NFL starting streaks of players in any position. During the first 200 straight games started by Favre, 178 other quarterbacks started in the NFL. In that time, the St. Louis Rams alone have started 13 different quarterbacks.

Although sometimes cited as the only professional in any sport to play this many games consecutively, there are a few examples of professional players in other sports having longer streaks. MLB, CFL and NBA all have had similar or longer streaks recorded in their sports, although not necessary representing consecutive starts.

2005 Season

* Started all 16 games for the 13th consecutive season, stretching his consecutive starts streak to 221 (241 including playoffs), an NFL record among quarterbacks, and the fourth-longest among recorded streaks

* Completed 372 of 607 attempts – both career highs, Packers records and the league's highest marks in 2005 – for an NFC-high 3,881 yards, with 20 TDs and 29 INTs, a passer rating of 70.9

* Also had 62 rushing yards (on 18 attempts), more than the 51 he had in the previous two seasons combined, thanks in part to his offseason regimen with former Notre Dame strength and conditioning coach Ken Kroener at Favre's Mississippi home

* Over the course of 2005, padded three streaks: seasons with at least 20 TD passes (12), seasons with at least 300 completions (14) and seasons with at least 3,000 yards passing (14)

* Also engineered his 2,500th drive

* A trying preseason served as a harbinger for the most difficult campaign of his 15-year career

* Learned Aug. 30 that Hurricane Katrina had wiped out his childhood home in Kiln, Miss., along with many of his personal trophies and awards, but more importantly didn't claim the lives any of his numerous family members on the Gulf Coast

* Worked with fellow-Mississippian Steve McNair to gather supplies for victims; had his donations flown on the Packers' team charter to Nashville for preseason finale (Sept. 1), then trucked them to Mississippi

* From the team's season-opening roster, injuries struck two of his top three receivers, two of his top three tight ends, all three of his running backs (as well as a fourth) and his starting center

* Placing the mounting pressure firmly on his own shoulders, threw a league-leading and career-high 29 interceptions and finished with a career-low 70.9 passer rating

* Played without Javon Walker, his primary deep threat coming off a career year, for all but the first 37 minutes of the season

* Also lost No. 3 wideout Robert Ferguson for five full games and parts of others, top running back Ahman Green to a season-ending injury in Game 6, Green's backup Najeh Davenport for the year in Game 5 and top tight end Bubba Franks for six games

* Completed passes to 18 players, two more than his previous career high (16 in 1998) and one shy of the team record, 19 in 1987, when Green Bay used replacement players in three contests

* Kicked off his 15th season at Detroit (Sept. 11), completing 27 of 44 for 201 yards, with no touchdowns, two interceptions and two fumbles; was sacked four times in 17-3 loss and saw 75 yards in offensive gains wiped out by penalties, including Walker's third-quarter pass interference on a 55-yard completion that ended the receiver's season (ACL) at the Detroit 3-yard line
Green Bay's three points marked its fewest during Favre's starting streak (1992-present)

* In 26-24 loss vs. Cleveland (Sept. 18), completed 32 of 44 for 342 yards and three TDs, with two interceptions, for a passer rating of 98.9
His 20-yard run in the second quarter was his longest since 1999, when he also had a 20-yard rush

With a 17-yard completion to Green in the second quarter, became the third ever with 50,000 career passing yards, joining Marino (61,361) and Elway (51,475) later in 2005 Brett Favre would pass John Elway to sit at 53,615 yards, second only to Dan Marino at the completion of 2005.

Also, with a last-second TD pass to RB Tony Fisher, broke Elway's single-stadium record with his 181st TD pass at Lambeau Field (Elway threw 180 at Mile High Stadium)

Led touchdown drives of 80, 96 and 78 yards

In the opening quarter, hit Donald Driver on a shallow crossing route, with Driver sprinting the rest of the way for a 42-yard TD

On a 96-yard fourth-quarter drive, completed 9 of 10 for 93 yards; finished the drive by pump-faking and then throwing to an open Ferguson in the end zone for a 19-yard score (drive lasted 6 minutes, 20 seconds)

On the Packers' final drive, completed six passes for 73 yards, including the 4-yard TD to Fisher

* Against Tampa Bay (Sept. 25), completed 14 of 24 for 195 yards and two TDs with three INTs

On fourth-and-4 in the first quarter, connected with Ferguson on a fly route down the left side for a 37-yard TD, the Packers' first points

In the second quarter, found Antonio Chatman on an inside post for a 20-yard touchdown

* In difficult 32-29, Monday night loss at Carolina (Oct. 3), completed 28 of 47 for 303 yards and four TDs, with one interception, for a 98.1 passer rating

In a valiant comeback attempt, rallied the Packers from a 19-point deficit, throwing two TDs and a pair of two-point conversions in the fourth quarter

With no timeouts, had the Packers in a position to win on their final drive, but his fourth-and-2 pass to Driver fell incomplete inside the Carolina 40 with a minute left

Earlier in the final quarter, threw a 16-yard TD to TE Donald Lee on a one-play drive, capitalizing on a fumble, then hit TE David Martin for the two-point conversion

On Green Bay's last TD drive, completed 8 of 12 for 86 yards, capping the march with a sharp 4-yard scoring pass to Chatman, and hitting Ferguson for another two-point conversion

* Rebounded in 52-3 win vs. New Orleans (Oct. 9), completing 19 of 27 for 215 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions for a passer rating of 130.9

Completed passes to eight receivers

In the first quarter, ran for 9 yards on third-and-4, keeping a drive alive that would result in a Davenport score

In the second quarter, threw a bullet to Ferguson in the end zone where only Ferguson could catch it, a 25-yard score

Later in the quarter, found Martin in the end zone for a 1-yard TD and a 35-3 Green Bay advantage

Then, began the second half with a 26-yard touchdown to Lee

Was named 'FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week' for Week 5, edging Dallas signal-caller Drew Bledsoe by 20 votes

Also in Saints contest, started his 210th consecutive game, matching the fourth-longest streak in recorded NFL history, held by Otto and Cox

* Surpassed the two in crushing 23-20 loss at Minnesota (Oct. 23), finishing 28 of 36 for 315 yards and two touchdowns, a 121.6 rating

Completed his first 13 passes, with his first incompletion coming at the 2-minute mark of the second quarter.

Led the Packers to their first touchdown drive, which spanned 96 yards, completing all three of his attempts for 77 yards

On the drive, hooked up with Ferguson for 44 yards and two plays later hit Driver with a perfectly thrown 22-yard score

Later, in the second quarter, completed all four passes for 60 yards in a seven-play drive, ending the series with a 4-yard TD pass to Chatman
After Minnesota took a late, 20-17 lead, orchestrated a 56-yard field goal drive that tied the contest with 24 seconds left, but the Vikings won on a 56-yard field goal as time expired

Was named 'FedEx Air NFL Player of the Week' for Week 7

* In bizarre, 21-14 loss at Cincinnati (Oct. 30), completed 26 of 39 for 279 yards with one touchdown and a career-high five interceptions
In the process, surpassed Elway and moved into second place all-time in both attempts and yards; the former Broncos passer had 7,250 attempts and 51,475 yards

Down 21-7 in the fourth quarter, engineered a 13-play, 88-yard touchdown drive, on which he went 9 of 12 for 87 yards, finishing with a 1-yard scoring toss to Franks

Got the ball back at his own 10-yard line with 56 seconds left, and after a 48-yard pass interference and 18-yard pass to Chatman, had the ball at the Cincinnati 28 with 23 seconds on the clock

Then, with Favre dropping back, looking for a potential game-tying TD pass, a Bengals fan who had slipped past stadium security guards literally took the ball out of Favre's hands; after several minutes, while security chased down the fan, the Packers' next play resulted in a sack, setting the stage for the final snap, a desperation throw on which officials flagged an exhausted Favre for an illegal forward pass

* Against Pittsburgh (Nov. 6), went 20 of 35 for 214 yards with one interception in 20-10 loss. Did not throw a TD pass at Lambeau Field for the first time since Oct. 20, 2002, a win over Washington in which Favre departed with a knee injury ended his streak of 24 games (27 including playoffs) with a TD toss at the stadium

* Quietly led his team to arguably its most impressive 2005 win, a 33-25 triumph at Atlanta (Nov. 13); completed 26 of 39 for 252 yards and one touchdown with one interception

Tossed a shovel pass to RB Samkon Gado for the team's second TD in the first quarter

* In 20-17, Monday night loss vs. Minnesota (Nov. 21), connected on 20 of 33 for 227 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions
On the Packers' second drive, in which he completed all four attempts for 62 yards, avoided a tackler and threw to the other side of the field, completing a 30-yard pass to Gado, Later in the same drive found Driver streaking to the end zone, a 15-yard TD

With 34 seconds remaining in the first half, again hooked up with Driver, this time for a 53-yard score on a catch and run play.

Paul Edinger for the second time in less than a month hit a last-second field goal to beat Green Bay.

* At Philadelphia (Nov. 27), completed 15 of 33 for 171 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions

Ran once for 4 yards, gaining a first down on third-and-3 in the third quarter; the carry marked No. 500 in his career
Gave the Packers a 14-10 lead in the second quarter, finding Martin in the back of the end zone for a 13-yard TD

* At Chicago (Dec. 4), completed 31 of a season-high 58 attempts for 277 yards, with two interceptions and three fumbles (two lost)

On the Packers' lone touchdown drive, went 3 of 5 for 30 yards, including a 6-yard completion to Driver on third-and-2 to move the ball to the Chicago 2; Gado scored on a 2-yard run two plays later

On Green Bay's drive just before halftime, completed 7 of 8 for 58 yards before throwing an interception to end the series

* In chilly Sunday night win vs. Detroit (Dec. 11), went 21 of 31 for 170 yards and one interception

With a first-quarter completion to Ferguson, set an NFL record by reaching 3,000 yards passing for a 14th overall season, breaking a previous tie with Marino (13, 1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98)

On a first-quarter field goal drive, went 3 of 4 for 29 yards
Engineered a game-saving series in the fourth quarter, going 2 of 3 for 34 yards to set up a 39-yard field goal that tied the contest, 13-13

Orchestrated the game-winning drive on the only overtime possession, finding William Henderson for 8 yards on third-and-7, and three plays later completing a 17-yard pass to Ferguson, advancing to the Detroit 35; after three Gado runs, Green Bay won the game, 16-13, with a 28-yard field goal.

Brett Favre went two straight games without a TD pass for the second time in his career, his first streak since Sept. 26-Oct. 3, 1993

* In Monday night loss at Baltimore (Dec. 19), completed 14 of 29 attempts for 144 yards and two interceptions
Was replaced by Aaron Rodgers toward the end of the third quarter

Extended his streak without a TD pass to three games, the longest stretch of his career

* Was swept in a Chicago season series for the first time in 24-17 loss at Lambeau Field (Dec. 25); went 30 of 51 for 317 yards with four INTs

In the fourth quarter, accounted for all 65 yards (5 of 7 passing) on a drive that ended with a 26-yard field goal narrowing the Chicago lead to 24-17
On the game's final drive, stunned the NFL's No. 1 defense at the time with a 56-yard pass to Driver, but then was sacked on consecutive plays and ended the contest with a last-second interception

* In season-ending, 23-17 win vs. former coach Mike Holmgren and the NFC's best team, Seattle (Jan. 1), connected on 21 of 37 for 259 yards with one touchdown, with one interception, on a day in which fans repeatedly chanted "one more year"

In the third quarter, hooked up with Chatman for a 9-yard touchdown, giving Favre at least 20 TD passes in 12 straight seasons, extending an NFL record

Also sustained the 400th sack of his career

With seconds remaining, Sherman inserted Rodgers and an emotional Favre left the field to a stirring ovation from fans and teammates.

He's not done yet Packer Fans ! woodbuck27

My name is Ed.

Packnut
08-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Great post! Ya read all that and it makes Z look even more pathetic.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Great post! Ya read all that and it makes Z look even more pathetic.

Brett Favre is truly still special and we'll all see that again soon.

He's set up for a really tough fall but this MAN. . . . mmmmm.

If he goes out with a serious injury due to excessive heat - from a porous OL watch for my post.

It may be HOT !! :mrgreen: