PDA

View Full Version : Just To Get This Off My Chest

pbmax
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
I am sure the guy is a wonderful coworker and a good husband, father and friend. However ...

I hope Vic Ketchman is removed soon from the Packers Pregame Radio rotation. Or at least that he is an infrequent guest. I caught most of his appearance last week and it seemed a train wreck as he insisted on unlikely scenario after unlikely scenario during the broadcast and kept steering the conversation away from the game at hand to the future of Matt Flynn and others.

Anyone else hear this guy?

With Bill Michaels gone, I have also heard complaints about Trenni Kusnierek's job in the post game. Now I am not a fan of Michaels, but he seemed to use his strongly held opinions to keep random callers in check. Otherwise, he seemed reasonably good at conducting the interviews and letting his guests say what they wished to say and keeping traffic moving.

That seems like a far tougher job (and bigger shoes to fill) than Ketchman's assignment of preparing a listener for a game with a host to guide him. So while I will cut the new post game cutie some slack, Ketchman has plenty of others behind him who could do that job better.

Fritz
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I only wish I had access to those programs so I could commiserate.

Instead, here in Detroit, caller after calling is confidently predicting a route of Kansas City. The fans here already have the Lions in the playoffs.

What's amazing to me is that they seem far more interested in the 1 - 0 Lions than in the Detroit Tigers, who have clinched the division and are duking it out with the Rangers for home-field advantage in the first round.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Instead, here in Detroit, caller after calling is confidently predicting a route of Kansas City. The fans here already have the Lions in the playoffs.

What's amazing to me is that they seem far more interested in the 1 - 0 Lions than in the Detroit Tigers, who have clinched the division and are duking it out with the Rangers for home-field advantage in the first round.

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/listen

You can stream the pregame stuff, and probably the post game too. But after years of Bill Scott, McGinn, Michaels, Silverstein, Oates, Wilde on with Falconio or Sorgi, Ketchman was like a hamster dropped into a punch bowl.

Deputy Nutz
09-18-2011, 11:17 AM
If you like Bill Micheals he does the post game show on 1250am, and they steam all of their programs online. I don't hate Micheals, but I don't really like him for obvious reasons.

Patler
09-18-2011, 11:21 AM
I am sure the guy is a wonderful coworker and a good husband, father and friend. However ...

I hope Vic Ketchman is removed soon from the Packers Pregame Radio rotation. Or at least that he is an infrequent guest. I caught most of his appearance last week and it seemed a train wreck as he insisted on unlikely scenario after unlikely scenario during the broadcast and kept steering the conversation away from the game at hand to the future of Matt Flynn and others.

Anyone else hear this guy?

With Bill Michaels gone, I have also heard complaints about Trenni Kusnierek's job in the post game. Now I am not a fan of Michaels, but he seemed to use his strongly held opinions to keep random callers in check. Otherwise, he seemed reasonably good at conducting the interviews and letting his guests say what they wished to say and keeping traffic moving.

That seems like a far tougher job (and bigger shoes to fill) than Ketchman's assignment of preparing a listener for a game with a host to guide him. So while I will cut the new post game cutie some slack, Ketchman has plenty of others behind him who could do that job better.

Ketchman has rubbed me the wrong way since the start, even on the website. I have written about it here several times. I'm not sure why, but I just don't enjoy his commentary. I think it is intended to instigate rather than report. I didn't hear the pregame last week, but it sounds like he was doing the same thing in it.

I am willing to give the post game crew a while to get their bearings and develop format, chemistry, etc. It's a long program with a lot to accomplish and it is a lot unscripted. The game will determine its content to a large extent. It's a lot to manage for a new crew. It should get better with experience. Personally, I think the WTMJ evening sports show has improved tremendously since Bill Michaels left. I felt that he got lazy, and made the show about him more than about his guests or the callers. For that reason I have hope for the new post game show, too.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 11:27 AM
If you like Bill Micheals he does the post game show on 1250am, and they steam all of their programs online. I don't hate Micheals, but I don't really like him for obvious reasons.

I was never a big fan of his outlook on the Packers or football in general. But he handled a tough job well as a post game broadcaster and he was good enough to listen to while waiting for the Press Conferences, Larrivee's review and McCarren's lockerrom interviews. And the scoreboard if I was in the car.

Old School
09-18-2011, 05:29 PM
I stopped even going to the Packer website since Vic showed up. I got my fill of him on TV during the preseason. As for pregame, I turn the game on just prior to kickoff. After the game I read the box score thoroughly and draw my own conclusions. You might think I'm only a lukewarm fan, but I'm old enough to no longer be suseptible to hype or the company line.

There are unlimited places to find info on the Packers. No need to be held hostage by those who speak loudest.

For other opinions, info, and food for thought, I enjoy "some" of the posters right here. How good is that?

Save a minnow: kill a job.

Patler
09-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I stopped even going to the Packer website since Vic showed up.

I haven't stopped completely, but I don't go there nearly as much as I did in the past.

Even the NFL site is getting worse and worse with each change.
I can't even find the "Gamebook" anymore.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I only heard him once during preseason, thought Ketchum was fine in the round table.

Bill Michaels is a loud-mouthed pain in the arse. (pot calling the kettle black?)

pbmax
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I haven't stopped completely, but I don't go there nearly as much as I did in the past.

Even the NFL site is getting worse and worse with each change.
I can't even find the "Gamebook" anymore.

Took me five minutes to spot the last link I went looking for. I thought they had removed it entirely.

Patler
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Took me five minutes to spot the last link I went looking for. I thought they had removed it entirely.

Do they have the "Gamebook" this year?
If so, where?

swede
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I stopped even going to the Packer website since Vic showed up. I got my fill of him on TV during the preseason.

The Packer website was 100% better before this moron showed up. It's not the Packer website. Packers.com is now a link to Vic.com. And then the organization peddles the guy relentlessly on broadcast when he isn't the least bit entertaining or informative.

Booo.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Do they have the "Gamebook" this year?
If so, where?

Go to the Game Center Page and right below the score at the top of the page are four links. Click Game Info and the gamebook link will be in the box on the right of those links.

Fosco33
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM

Guess those Lions' fans have something to cheer about... Chiefs aren't looking good - but Lions may be...

Patler
09-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Go to the Game Center Page and right below the score at the top of the page are four links. Click Game Info and the gamebook link will be in the box on the right of those links.

Thanks! (Could they conceal it any better without eliminating it completely?)

Guiness
09-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks! (Could they conceal it any better without eliminating it completely?)

I thought it was gone too.

Sherrod not dressing again; what's the plan if a tackle goes down? Is Newhouse the backup for both sides, or if Clifton went down would Lang maybe slide over?

pbmax
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I thought it was gone too.

Sherrod not dressing again; what's the plan if a tackle goes down? Is Newhouse the backup for both sides, or if Clifton went down would Lang maybe slide over?

Newhouse for both sides. EDS is the inside utility belt.

Pugger
09-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not surprised the loins beat the chiefs. KC is pretty dreadful. I doubt the queens will beat them next week either.