09-18-2011, 01:34 PM
@ halftime. details to follow.

MJZiggy
09-18-2011, 01:38 PM
@ halftime. details to follow.

:lol::lol:Sounds about right...

SkinBasket
09-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Skinbasket to rape NFL's fucked up TD rules immediately. That was almost as bad as the DET opener last season. Fucking stupid.

MJZiggy
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
I thought Ronnie was going to cry in the booth after the dagger...

red
09-18-2011, 03:20 PM
was it ron pitts all over cam's jock or was it mora?

pitts is the one that sounds like a white guy

Brandon494
09-18-2011, 03:23 PM
It was Mora all of his jock.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, by far, the most remarkable thing about this game was the performance of the broadcasters.

Cheesehead Craig
09-18-2011, 04:00 PM
It was Mora all of his jock.

I'm surprised one could understand Mora with Cam's dick in his mouth.

SkinBasket
09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
There was plenty of Cam cock sniffing to go around that booth. Pitts game-calling is worse than listening to Madden Football's computer announcers.

Little Whiskey
09-18-2011, 06:44 PM
looks like someone enjoyed the announcers today. sheesh

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130087438.html

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm surprised one could understand Mora with Cam's dick in his mouth.

well spoken.

this was a turrible broadcast team. Just annoying. Ron Pitts would be passable if paired with somebody good.

edit: maybe I'm being too generous

Smidgeon
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was severely annoyed by the one-sided announcing...

Tony Oday
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Mooch gave him a handy as well...he said Cam had a great day...HE FREAKING LOST AND THREE THREE INTS!!! That is a BAD game...

denverYooper
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Mooch gave him a handy as well...he said Cam had a great day...HE FREAKING LOST AND THREE THREE INTS!!! That is a BAD game...

He could have easily had 2-3 more INTs. He made some nice throws and plays but also several awful ones.

pbmax
09-19-2011, 11:48 AM
The praise for Rodgers was that they assumed everything he did was the smartest thing he could have done. The team was praised as being a championship team that knew not to panic and how to rally. It was automatic pilot praise and no breakdown. No mention of how the Packers staunched the TE problem then had a WR problem. That is all these guys are allowed to do, just be sure to say Aaron Rodgers full name 25 times before half.

The only time they get to try out something new is when someone new shows up. That is Newton. And beside Steve Smith, there isn't much else to talk about in a Panthers game.

The bigger problem is Rodgers newly minted status as cannot do any wrong QB. Local Milwaukee radio has already started the "he's just being honest" routine to explain any public missteps. When he seemed to blast Sanchez for the GQ spread (comments that could have derogatory to either Sanchez or Rodgers himself as though he was imagining himself in a similar situation), they fell all over themselves to apologize for their new radio star and bleat that they could not believe anyone could misinterpret the Good Witch Aaron's unscripted comments.

This is exactly how the last disaster got started and it may be unavoidable with a star QB. I am going to buy a Packers jersey with Sisyphus as the name on the back.

Tony Oday
09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Sanchez did look like an idiot and I love that AR blasted the media for not having offseason Captains Practices. Mora and Pitts were fighting to be the first one to both knees to a guy that is now 0-2.

Pugger
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
There was plenty of Cam cock sniffing to go around that booth. Pitts game-calling is worse than listening to Madden Football's computer announcers.

The national talking heads to a man are all sniffing Cam's cock. They all talk like he is the second coming of Joe Montana. :roll: Cam will be a good QB but lets wait until he actually wins something before the coronation.

pbmax
09-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Sanchez did look like an idiot and I love that AR blasted the media for not having offseason Captains Practices. Mora and Pitts were fighting to be the first one to both knees to a guy that is now 0-2.

No complaints on the lockout practices. I am sure he heard that question 200 times. He gets a pass from me on that topic.

But there is no reason to invite trouble. The fact that media willingly help him avoid it is the first step on the way to a fall from grace. You have to be accountable to yourself, because the media are no substitute.

pbmax
09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
The national talking heads to a man are all sniffing Cam's cock. They all talk like he is the second coming of Joe Montana. :roll: Cam will be a good QB but lets wait until he actually wins something before the coronation.

They weren't talking about him like that. They simply couldn't think of anyone else to talk about. Which I blame entirely on TV producers chasing stars on broadcasts. Its all they will allow on the air.

Even Aikman used to fight it and lost.

denverYooper
09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
The praise for Rodgers was that they assumed everything he did was the smartest thing he could have done. The team was praised as being a championship team that knew not to panic and how to rally. It was automatic pilot praise and no breakdown. No mention of how the Packers staunched the TE problem then had a WR problem. That is all these guys are allowed to do, just be sure to say Aaron Rodgers full name 25 times before half.

The only time they get to try out something new is when someone new shows up. That is Newton. And beside Steve Smith, there isn't much else to talk about in a Panthers game.

The bigger problem is Rodgers newly minted status as cannot do any wrong QB. Local Milwaukee radio has already started the "he's just being honest" routine to explain any public missteps. When he seemed to blast Sanchez for the GQ spread (comments that could have derogatory to either Sanchez or Rodgers himself as though he was imagining himself in a similar situation), they fell all over themselves to apologize for their new radio star and bleat that they could not believe anyone could misinterpret the Good Witch Aaron's unscripted comments.

This is exactly how the last disaster got started and it may be unavoidable with a star QB. I am going to buy a Packers jersey with Sisyphus as the name on the back.

Does it come with a rock?

Or a portable Camus?

Joemailman
09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
They weren't talking about him like that. They simply couldn't think of anyone else to talk about. Which I blame entirely on TV producers chasing stars on broadcasts. Its all they will allow on the air.

I can understand that on a national telecast. You're trying to hold viewers who may not have a rooting interest in the game. I game like yesterday though is likely being watched by just diehard fans of the 2 teams. Not sure the star chasing really works there.

Pugger
09-19-2011, 01:12 PM

I was talking about the national guys in the post game shows on BSPN and the NFL Network, not the goofballs we were stuck with during the game.

pbmax
09-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I was talking about the national guys in the post game shows on BSPN and the NFL Network, not the goofballs we were stuck with during the game.

I see. Try Mooch on him: http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8225fb8b/Growth-of-Cam

Mooch manages to remember both the mistakes and that he is a rookie while praising the big plays.

mraynrand
09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
The announcers were awful, but that being said - there typically is a lot of interest in the #1 draft pick, especially when he comes out game ready and throws for 900 yards his first two games. Guy looked pretty good leading a team that was pathetic last year and has zero running game this year - and was playing the Superbowl champs. I remember a while back the Packers and Colts had these two ironmen at QB that the press liked to talk about over and over and over and over, to the exclusion of any other players and - too often - the actual game action itself. Once, on a MNF game, they let one guy's wife recite an Ode to the QB - TWICE. That's more barf-inducing than the slurping Cam Newton got on Sunday.

http://www.mybassetbuddy.com/wp-content/uploads/20_6_orig.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhW3iRjOveA

Brandon494
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Hes the #1 overall pick, the heisman winner, and a national champion who just came off a NFL record setting game and was playing a impressive game against the World Champs... wtf did you think they were going to talk about? LOL

Fritz
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM
PB's on the money here. In the mad drive for more, more, more fandom, more viewers, more everything NFL, there's been a shift from analysis of the game being played to slobbering praise of the designated heroes as well as setting up entirely false dualities (Rodgers vs. Newton, for example). The criticisms are either minor ("He didn't let Nelson complete the route") or thoughtless ("There's no excuse for not getting that call right!").

It is no longer sport but entertainment spectacle, and fans who see it as a sport (I think most Packer fans see it this way) are bound to be disappointed/disgusted by the announcing, which is pretty well scripted any more.

Freak Out
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I just want someone to refer to him on air as Cam "Kensington Lock" Newton.

wootah
09-20-2011, 03:24 AM
Hes the #1 overall pick, the heisman winner, and a national champion who just came off a NFL record setting game and was playing a impressive game against the World Champs... wtf did you think they were going to talk about? LOL

True, but Mora went way over the top IMO. At a certain point in the 4th Q he was even praising Newton's composure because he was chewing gum during the game. I expected a bit more depth from a former coach.

Edit: one of the main articles featured on nfl.com right now is on Cam Newton. Title: "Unsung Hero".

pbmax
09-20-2011, 07:25 AM
True, but Mora went way over the top IMO. At a certain point in the 4th Q he was even praising Newton's composure because he was chewing gum during the game. I expected a bit more depth from a former coach.

Edit: one of the main articles featured on nfl.com right now is on Cam Newton. Title: "Unsung Hero".

Odd, I didn't know unsung meant winless.

Brandon494
09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
They aren't winless because of him. The coaches need to do a better job of having a more balanced offensive attack instead of relying on a rookie to throw it 40 times a game.

Zool
09-20-2011, 09:21 AM
My dream is to have an option to mute the announcers during all sporting events. I'd like to just watch a game and not listen to morons. At home I get TV "personalities". At the games I get fat drunk morons who assume they know every nuance of a football game and want to get into a fight with anyone who says different.

At the Metrodome a few years back I had quite an experience. A very classy woman sitting directly behind me decided to start in. She was explaining to the Packer fan in front of me how, and I quote, "you want Favre's salty discharge on your face". Mind you there were children sitting a mere 3 seats away as she screamed "fuck the Packers and fuck you".

Ahh liquor, you make fucktards stand out like a neon lit Chinese buffet across the street from a weight watchers.

Scott Campbell
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I liked it when they praised his facial expressions.

They were however fair and balanced when they criticized him for the position of the towel on his head.

pbmax
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
I liked it when they praised his facial expressions.

They were however fair and balanced when they criticized him for the position of the towel on his head.

I was surprised his choice of gum wasn't analyzed, after they noted the import of its presence. At least we weren't treated to "he's like a kid out there".

Smidgeon
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I thought they just noted that he was chewing. I thought Mora was about to rip him for it then backed off after the towel debacle.

Brandon494
09-20-2011, 05:11 PM
I thought they just noted that he was chewing. I thought Mora was about to rip him for it then backed off after the towel debacle.

Yea they did just note he was chewing. They were more analyzing how the guy did not have a smile on his face after playing such a great game because it didn't result in a win.

mraynrand
09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Towelgate has more traction than Gumgate

Fritz
09-20-2011, 06:14 PM
My dream is to have an option to mute the announcers during all sporting events. I'd like to just watch a game and not listen to morons. At home I get TV "personalities". At the games I get fat drunk morons who assume they know every nuance of a football game and want to get into a fight with anyone who says different.

At the Metrodome a few years back I had quite an experience. A very classy woman sitting directly behind me decided to start in. She was explaining to the Packer fan in front of me how, and I quote, "you want Favre's salty discharge on your face". Mind you there were children sitting a mere 3 seats away as she screamed "fuck the Packers and fuck you".

Ahh liquor, you make fucktards stand out like a neon lit Chinese buffet across the street from a weight watchers.

Here, here. The only way to combat such fucking drunktards is to become one yourself. Suddenly those around you are delightfully witty, and you yourself elevate your repartee to previously unimagined heights of brilliance and virtuosity.

Fritz
09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Towelgate has more traction than Gumgate

I, however, could not decide whether his picking his uni out of his butt as the clock wound down was an indication of his lack of seriousness about the loss, or whether it merely indicated a delightfully child-like joy and innocence. I was waiting for the announcers to clear this up for me, but alas.

MadtownPacker
09-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Yea they did just note he was chewing. They were more analyzing how the guy did not have a smile on his face after playing such a great game because it didn't result in a win.
You and all these gabas are hella racist. I didnt see you or the bitch ass announcers say anything when ARod did (they showed him real quick on the sidelines with a towel on the exact same way). Im thinking it was just fucking humid and that felt good on their domes.

RashanGary
09-20-2011, 07:43 PM
In their partial defense, Cam Newton does appear to have the greatest combination of physical dominance and passing skill of any player IMO who's ever entered the NFL. I like his skills over Vick, Favre, AR, S Young, McNabb (shit passer), Ben, McNair, and really any QB I've seen play.

Whether he can get his head really wrapped around the game is yet to be determined, but he has unprecedented talent. We're lucky we got him in week 2. He can single handedly take over a game. You can stop him, you can have your best guy in position to kill him and he gets a way far more often than he gets caught and he breaks your back with a 19 yard run on 3rd and 12. You have to dedicate a spy to him. You have to play zone. Even if he's not AR or Joe Montana with decision making, he's going to get predictable defense because he's so fricking dominant. He's like Randy Moss, Clay Matthews, BJ Raji, Aaron Rodgers. . .. You have to change your whole game to try to beat him and he'll still beat you down.

He's one of the most spectacular football players I've ever seen (short sample of course.) Maybe a young Elway compares, I wasn't old enough to remember that, but Newton is amazing.

But that's their defense. It was still a pathetic broadcast. The good one's have more to talk about and make the headline flow more naturally. They had no real attachment to what was happening on the field. Their inablity to mix what was going on with their big story was sort of pathetic.

SkinBasket
09-20-2011, 08:15 PM
They were more analyzing how the guy did not have a smile on his face after playing such a great game because it didn't result in a win.

"Great" game? Great? 3 INTs makes for a great game? Lots of yards that don't produce points are "great" yards?

He demonstrated he can throw a football with both great accuracy and great inaccuracy. He could have easily have had 5 or 6 INTs against a team missing a starting CB and later a starting safety. Would that have made his game even greater?

MadtownPacker
09-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I just dont see dude lasting playing like that. At the end of the game he was already gimpy looking. When he was running he was taking some hard cuts that are gonna put him in a bad spot with a knee eventuallyl. He is big but how long can he take getting beat up like that? There is a reason it aint done in the NFL.

pbmax
09-20-2011, 09:09 PM
"Great" game? Great? 3 INTs makes for a great game? Lots of yards that don't produce points are "great" yards?

He demonstrated he can throw a football with both great accuracy and great inaccuracy. He could have easily have had 5 or 6 INTs against a team missing a starting CB and later a starting safety. Would that have made his game even greater?

I think that was a paraphrase Skin. Maybe Jim Mora Jr. has a Twitter feed we can complain to directly.

pbmax
09-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I just dont see dude lasting playing like that. At the end of the game he was already gimpy looking. When he was running he was taking some hard cuts that are gonna put him in a bad spot with a knee eventuallyl. He is big but how long can he take getting beat up like that? There is a reason it aint done in the NFL.

I am not sure if the team will be able to make hay with that middle option/read, but he doesn't seem particularly eager to run beyond that. Not like Vick was, anyway.

I think like Rodgers he'll learn when to take his shot and then slide and stay down. Question is will his technique catch up to his arm strength? Because some of those loose passes came while he was dancing in the pocket.

Brandon494
09-20-2011, 09:36 PM

The guy just set two NFL records in his first two games as a pro, stop being fucking nitpick. Not to mention the guy had no OTAs and did it against the World Champs. Of course your going to have INTs when you ask a rookie to throw it 40+ times with no help from the running game.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
The guy just set two NFL records in his first two games as a pro, stop being fucking nitpick. Not to mention the guy had no OTAs and did it against the World Champs. Of course your going to have INTs when you ask a rookie to throw it 40+ times with no help from the running game.

It was an impressive start for a rookie, but 3 INTs is not nitpicking. Guy also is behind a pretty good O line. It's exciting, but don't overdo it. If I were a Carolina fan, I'd be excited about the future, but I'd want my coach to call fewer running plays for my QB so the dude can last.

SkinBasket
09-21-2011, 07:40 AM

HA!

Losing the game and throwing three INTs (and several other errant passes that hit defenders) is "nitpicking?"

But throwing for a buttload of pointless yards is "great?"

Someone's got a case of the fansies!

bobblehead
09-21-2011, 08:33 AM
They aren't winless because of him. The coaches need to do a better job of having a more balanced offensive attack instead of relying on a rookie to throw it 40 times a game.

I agree to an extent. they are winless because they aren't a good team. Cam is a typical rookie thrown in with minimal camp experience. A few WOW plays and many WTF plays. He may get better, he may not.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 08:47 AM
You and all these gabas are hella racist. I didnt see you or the bitch ass announcers say anything when ARod did (they showed him real quick on the sidelines with a towel on the exact same way). Im thinking it was just fucking humid and that felt good on their domes.

I thought he had some negative body language going on when things weren't going their way. He's not as bad as Cutler. But guys still don't want to see their leader tightening up like that on the sideline when you're a little up against it.

I'd give him a B-. He might be doing better in a different system. Carolina is clearly putting the whole thing on his back.

The yardage really doesn't impress me. There are a lot of guys who could rack up way more yardage than that if they don't have to stop chucking it till they hit 4 INT's for the game. Cam got bailed out of his 2nd INT by the refs last week. He threw at least 4 this week, with 3 of them being caught by Packers. I didn't see him throwing balls away when the coverage dictated it. Though I saw nothing that isn't correctable. He looks pretty promising.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
It was an impressive start for a rookie, but 3 INTs is not nitpicking. Guy also is behind a pretty good O line. It's exciting, but don't overdo it. If I were a Carolina fan, I'd be excited about the future, but I'd want my coach to call fewer running plays for my QB so the dude can last.

Cam could check down more. He's not consistently accurate enough yet to be throwing into tight windows. Take what the defense gives you, and throw a couple away when guys like Charles Woodson are daring you to throw at them when he's got help over the top.

Upnorth
09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Overall He has 3 td's 4 ints and a shit load of yards. What indicates a high potential, higher than I thought he would have, is a completion % of 62.7 with a average of 10.3 yrds per. Those are good numbers for a rookie. This does not make him an all star yet, but if allowed to develop he has a lot of potential.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:17 AM
I thought he had some negative body language going on when things weren't going their way. He's not as bad as Cutler. But guys still don't want to see their leader tightening up like that on the sideline when you're a little up against it.

I'd give him a B-. He might be doing better in a different system. Carolina is clearly putting the whole thing on his back.

The yardage really doesn't impress me. There are a lot of guys who could rack up way more yardage than that if they don't have to stop chucking it till they hit 4 INT's for the game. Cam got bailed out of his 2nd INT by the refs last week. He threw at least 4 this week, with 3 of them being caught by Packers. I didn't see him throwing balls away when the coverage dictated it. Though I saw nothing that isn't correctable. He looks pretty promising.

This. But as SC says, its all pretty standard fare for a good quarterback with a cannon for an arm. Stafford might be a comparable case.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
This. But as SC says, its all pretty standard fare for a good quarterback with a cannon for an arm. Stafford might be a comparable case.

How bout a comparison to Favre?

Can you imagine Holmy letting Bert go hog wild and chuck it up like that during his first season as starter? Remember how often he was right up in his grill after a bad play?

Who's doing that on the Panther staff?

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 01:45 PM

http://aidanphantom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/chud.jpg

But he sits in the booth during games

pbmax
09-21-2011, 02:07 PM
How bout a comparison to Favre?

Can you imagine Holmy letting Bert go hog wild and chuck it up like that during his first season as starter? Remember how often he was right up in his grill after a bad play?

Actually, during games I remember him being pretty calm, considering. I know he explicitly turned over day to day management to Mooch so he and Favre didn't butt heads constantly. But everyone talks about Holmgren's temper in these situations. So I suspect the real blowups were behind the scenes. I do remember one occasion (think it was discussed during that Mike Holmgren coaching tree show on ESPN) that Holmgren was all but threatening Mooch with new job responsibilities if he didn't get Favre on the correct page.

And there is more than one way to do this, McCarthy, despite talking about having a pretty good temper himself, has done OK with AR, Flynn and Harrell. I don't think a strong arm means you are as stubborn as a mule.

Guiness
09-21-2011, 07:34 PM
But he sits in the booth during games

lol! wtf is that???

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
lol! wtf is that???

C.H.U.D. = cannibalistic human underground dweller - or Rob Chudzinski, O coordinator for the Panthers

Brandon494
09-21-2011, 09:15 PM

The guy broke the NFL record for most passing yards in the first two games of a season not just for rookies but ALL-TIME! Then 4 hours later Tom Brady broke that record but that's beside the point. The guy got picked off twice by Charles Woodson, that's going to happen when you ask a rookie to throw it 40+ times but every play he knew where to go with the ball and never threw into double coverage. He has to work on his accuracy but you have to give the guy an A rating so far for what he has done. BTW dude also lead the Panthers in rushing that game.

SkinBasket
09-21-2011, 09:49 PM
You are a racist fanboy.

SkinBasket
09-21-2011, 09:50 PM
C.H.U.D. = cannibalistic human underground dweller - or Rob Chudzinski, O coordinator for the Panthers

I added it to my "quickster" cue earlier today. Thanks for the memory recall.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 10:22 PM
The guy got picked off twice by Charles Woodson, that's going to happen when you ask a rookie to throw it 40+ times but every play he knew where to go with the ball and never threw into double coverage.

B.S. I know for a fact that the pick where Charles jumped the route he had double coverage help over the top. It was a ball he never should have thrown.

The dude gets enough hype already without you making more crap up.

Brandon494
09-21-2011, 10:33 PM
B.S. I know for a fact that the pick where Charles jumped the route he had double coverage help over the top. It was a ball he never should have thrown.

The dude gets enough hype already without you making more crap up.

Calm the fuck down

The pass was low and away, Woodson made a great play on the ball.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Calm the fuck down

The pass was low and away, Woodson made a great play on the ball.

Woodson was able to make the play on the ball because he had help over the top. As in double coverage. Check the tape.

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 10:52 PM
The guy got picked off twice by Charles Woodson, that's going to happen when you ask a rookie to throw it 40+ times but every play he knew where to go with the ball and never threw into double coverage.

http://www.jerseyal.com/GBP/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/woodson-interception.jpg

Scott Campbell
09-21-2011, 11:01 PM
For the resident Newton jock sniffer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyTaVGi7MbA

Tell us again how he didn't throw it into double coverage.

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 04:33 AM
Tell me again how posting a picture from a Lions game proves your point. Some people just can't stand the fact that Newton won't be a bust.

SkinBasket
09-22-2011, 05:44 AM
SPOOOGE!

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Tell me again how posting a picture from a Lions game proves your point.

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/newton-2.jpg?w=475&h=275

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 07:58 AM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/why-passing-totals-can-be-deceiving/

September 22, 2011, 8:00 amWhy Passing Totals Can Be Deceiving

By ANDY BENOIT (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andy-benoit/)We’ve seen monstrous passing numbers in this young N.F.L. season. With the rule changes and proliferation of spread offenses, those numbers will only climb in the coming years.
But how much do the numbers really mean?
Cam Newton is second in the league in passing yards (854). His Panthers are 0-2. The next four passing yards leaders – Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Matt Hasselbeck – are on teams that are 1-1. It’s too early to read much into the numbers, but it’s not too early to understand why the numbers are climbing and why it may not matter.
The N.F.L. is undergoing a defensive revolution. Ten years ago, the idea of “good defense” was to stop the other team from moving the ball. The 2000 Ravens were a brick wall that yielded just 970 yards on the ground (fewest for a 16-game schedule in league history). But today, teams don’t sustain offense with the traditional run-run-pass approach. New rules and improved athletes have led to an explosion in the passing game, making it too much to ask for a defense to hang in there and continuously stop an offense.
The idea of “good defense” has morphed from stopping the opponent to making big plays. The best way to do this is to trick an offense into making a mistake. This is why we’ve seen rapid growth in versatile and confounding 3-4 schemes that are predicated on disguise concepts and blitzes (especially out of sub-packages). This has been the defensive approach of the past two Super Bowl champions (the ’09 Saints were second in the N.F.C. in forced turnovers and the ’10 Packers were fifth; ahead of the Packers were the Steelers, Patriots, Giants, Bears and Eagles – all playoff teams save for the 10-6 Giants).
Creating big plays requires taking risks (which often means blitzing). Those risks are contributing to more passing yards. But passing yards don’t always lead to points. Defenses know that with space being limited, offenses can’t spread out and dictate terms of engagement in the red zone the same way they can between the 20s. Thus, in taking risks, defenses have embraced more of a “bend but don’t break” mentality.
A great illustration of how this revolution is playing out can be found in Cam Newton. In Week 1, he went up against a Cardinals defense that’s run by the first-year coordinator Ray Horton, who came over from the Steelers. Horton has installed myriad blitz packages and is a proponent of taking risks to force offensive mistakes. His Cardinals D gave up 422 passing yards to Newton … but only 21 points. Late in the fourth quarter, on Carolina’s final drive, the Cardinals repeatedly blitzed Newton from inside the red zone. On fourth-and-five in that final drive, the Cardinals blitzed again and gave up four yards. Bending, not breaking.
The next week, Newton torched the Packers through the air. But Dom Capers also confused Newton with coverage changeups in the third quarter, resulting in two interceptions (Newton had also been baited into a pick by Charles Woodson late in the second quarter). Green Bay also capitalized when space became limited, holding the Panthers to two red zone field goals in the first half. In the end, Newton had played well for 90 percent of the snaps and posted 432 yards through the air. But the Packers were able to make big plays on the other 10 percent and, consequently, Carolina finished with only 16 points.
Quarterbacks are playing well these days. But defenses are more willing than ever to let quarterbacks play well. They just don’t want quarterbacks playing mistake-free. Thus, one of the reasons passing statistics are destined to inflate.
Andy Benoit is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com (http://www.nfltouchdown.com/) and an analyst for CBSsports.com. (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988/1?mcctag=Andy%20Benoit) He can be reached at andy.benoit@NFLtouchdown.com or @Andy_Benoit (http://twitter.com/#%21/Andy_Benoit).

pbmax
09-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Brandon is still closer to the truth than the deniers, but the kid's value is being lost while we debate who is more internally inconsistent.

Newton is a once a generation talent. Elway. Manning. That kind of thing.

He may never take full advantage of that talent, or even get the chance, but its there. He also seems to have a desire to be great, like an even more friendly Finley.

And to suggest that "anyone" asked to throw the ball alot could do what he has done is obvious non-sense. There have been plenty of teams with a passing game and a bad enough D to produce tons of garbage time yardage. None have done what this kid has done.

There was a list of 500 yards throwers (for Brady's Week 1 performance) and the list was the usual suspects of HoFs and the like. Plus Billy Volek, I think. Billy Volek pops up in a list like this because somewhere along the line, a prefect storm emerges and something truly strange and out of the ordinary happens.

Newton has performed ridiculously for a rookie. To have done it twice likely means it is no fluke.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/22/why-passing-totals-can-be-deceiving/

September 22, 2011, 8:00 amWhy Passing Totals Can Be Deceiving

By ANDY BENOIT (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/author/andy-benoit/)We’ve seen monstrous passing numbers in this young N.F.L. season. With the rule changes and proliferation of spread offenses, those numbers will only climb in the coming years.
But how much do the numbers really mean?
Cam Newton is second in the league in passing yards (854). His Panthers are 0-2. The next four passing yards leaders – Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Matt Hasselbeck – are on teams that are 1-1. It’s too early to read much into the numbers, but it’s not too early to understand why the numbers are climbing and why it may not matter.
Andy Benoit is the founder of NFLTouchdown.com (http://www.nfltouchdown.com/) and an analyst for CBSsports.com. (http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/22475988/1?mcctag=Andy%20Benoit) He can be reached at andy.benoit@NFLtouchdown.com or @Andy_Benoit (http://twitter.com/#%21/Andy_Benoit).

The fact that Benoit, who does great work, is comparing Newton to these Pro Bowl vets in good passing offenses should tell you something about a rookie.

I am not arguing he is taking the Panthers to the playoffs with this team. There are too many holes. But for Pete's sake, its his first two games. He's not in the Hall of Fame, but he has an obvious and good chance to be brilliant.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Brandon is still closer to the truth than the deniers......

Brandon said Newton never threw into double coverage. I'm not sure he even watched the game.

He's just in love with a portion of Newton's box score.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Let me address the litany of complaints before they happen. Teams now have film on him in two games plus preseason. He is going to slump at some point this season. And it will happen again next season when teams have an offseason to adjust to him. My money is on the kid bouncing back when that happens. We'll see.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Brandon said Newton never threw into double coverage. I'm not sure he even watched the game.

He's just in love with a portion of Newton's box score.

Same thing with Newton. I am not claiming everything Brandon writes is gospel or written on a stone tablet.

But he is right about what Newton can do. A week ago we thought (and when I say we I mean quality observers like Lurker, not just myself) that Newton wasn't reading defensive coverage.

Given the number of times he found single coverage after a blitz and the number of times he found a receiver in a hole in a zone, we are now left to debate how many mistakes he made reading that coverage. Whether anyone wants to admit it, he proved us wrong.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Same thing with Newton. I am not claiming everything Brandon writes is gospel or written on a stone tablet.

But he is right about what Newton can do. A week ago we thought (and when I say we I mean quality observers like Lurker, not just myself) that Newton wasn't reading defensive coverage.

Given the number of times he found single coverage after a blitz and the number of times he found a receiver in a hole in a zone, we are now left to debate how many mistakes he made reading that coverage. Whether anyone wants to admit it, he proved us wrong.

Except I already admitted that he played well at times. He has looked very promising.

What Newton hasn't been able to do yet is win. He should be able to fix that this Sunday.

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
(5 year old's voice) But Brandon said....

Hahaha haters going to hate.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 09:26 AM
(5 year old's voice) But Brandon said....

Hahaha haters going to hate.

That's true. Feel free to stop at any time and join the discussion.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Brandon is such an emotional cripple, he just can't admit Newton threw into double coverage. He was wrong.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder if Cam will have another game with 37/56 (66.1% completion) 413 yards 3TDs 0 Ints and a 105.7 passer rating?

Ooops, sorry - that's Andy Dalton in just over a game's worth of play. And he's 1-1.

Offenses are on a roll so far this season - 23 QBs have thrown 300+ yard passing games. Like I said above, Newton is impressive, but don't lose your seed over him.

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder if Cam will have another game with 37/56 (66.1% completion) 413 yards 3TDs 0 Ints and a 105.7 passer rating?

Ooops, sorry - that's Andy Dalton in just over a game's worth of play. And he's 1-1.

Offenses are on a roll so far this season - 23 QBs have thrown 300+ yard passing games. Like I said above, Newton is impressive, but don't lose your seed over him.

Did you really just use Daltons two games to compare to Newtons one game? OOOPS

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Brandon is such an emotional cripple, he just can't admit Newton threw into double coverage. He was wrong.

Ok Woodson fooled him and be threw into double coverage once, want your cookie now?

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Ok Woodson fooled him and be threw into double coverage once, want your cookie now?

Actually Woodson claims he was not trying to bait Newton.

IMO it was Newton's supreme confidence with arm strength. Eventually he learns not to make that throw against crafty veterans.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Did you really just use Daltons two games to compare to Newtons one game? OOOPS

No. I compared Dalton's less than 6 quarters with Newton's eight. Try to pay attention.

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
You might want to add double the passing yardage and Newtons rushing stats as well then.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
You might want to add double the passing yardage and Newtons rushing stats as well then.

We're making progress, but you're still struggling with the math. 8/6 = 1 1/3. So the multiplier is 1.33 to two for Dalton or x0.66of Cam. So let's see that's 2 INTs/ game for Cam and 0x1.33 = 0 for Dalton. For Dalton, it would be 413x.66 = 272yards/game. Passer rating is not divisible by quarters, so Cam = 89.1, Dalton 105.7. Wins: Dalton = 1x.66= .66, Cam =0 Dalton didn't rush the ball. Cam's got him there.

Whatever - perhaps you get the point. But I'm betting not.

Brandon494
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
So your saying Dalton is the better player? What point are you trying to make here?

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Actually Woodson claims he was not trying to bait Newton.

IMO it was Newton's supreme confidence with arm strength. Eventually he learns not to make that throw against crafty veterans.

You can't make a throw into coverage that tight regardless of who the defenders are.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
So your saying Dalton is the better player? What point are you trying to make here?

I suspect his point is that Newton's passing yardage thus far, in a vacuum, is really impressive.

But when you take all the other available information into account, it's a little less "special".

Nobody is trying to say the guy sucks here Brandon.

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
You can't make a throw into coverage that tight regardless of who the defenders are.

Tell that to Brett Favre.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Tell that to Brett Favre.

Apparently you didn't watch the video.

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Apparently you didn't watch the video.

Lets see it.

gbgary
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
i think he's gonna be friggin great...a monster.

Zool
09-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Tons of guys have thrown for a lot of yards in the NFL. Lets wait till he wins an actual game or 2 before we anoint. He has all the physical tools you could want, but as I've said, he's playing like a rookie.

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
i think he's gonna be friggin great...a monster.

Yup. As Packer players pointed-out its better to play him now.

Face of the NFL in two years.

Guiness
09-22-2011, 01:06 PM
snip

Good article.

I guess it's different than years ago, when passing numbers were climbing, and the talking heads loved to bring up that you were more likely to win if you had a 100yd rusher than if your QB had 300yd passing game. It seems now that the 100yd rusher doesn't matter so much either, it's all about having a mistake free QB.

Guiness
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Brandon is still closer to the truth than the deniers, but the kid's value is being lost while we debate who is more internally inconsistent.

Newton is a once a generation talent. Elway. Manning. That kind of thing.

He may never take full advantage of that talent, or even get the chance, but its there. He also seems to have a desire to be great, like an even more friendly Finley.

And to suggest that "anyone" asked to throw the ball alot could do what he has done is obvious non-sense. There have been plenty of teams with a passing game and a bad enough D to produce tons of garbage time yardage. None have done what this kid has done.

There was a list of 500 yards throwers (for Brady's Week 1 performance) and the list was the usual suspects of HoFs and the like. Plus Billy Volek, I think. Billy Volek pops up in a list like this because somewhere along the line, a prefect storm emerges and something truly strange and out of the ordinary happens.

Newton has performed ridiculously for a rookie. To have done it twice likely means it is no fluke.

Actually, the 'plus' isn't Volek, but Vince Ferragamo :shock:
Who, Wikipedia tells me, appeared in 3 games for the Packers in '86!

I remember seeing some announcers laughing about Boomer doing it during his stint with Arizona.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Actually, the 'plus' isn't Volek, but Vince Ferragamo :shock:
Who, Wikipedia tells me, appeared in 3 games for the Packers in '86!

I remember seeing some announcers laughing about Boomer doing it during his stint with Arizona.

I better get a scan. My memory is so bad this week, its like a sympathy concussion for Collins. Though I swear Volek entered the discussion of crazy QB yardages this week sometime. Even if that sentence was "The one QB you won't see on this list of passing accomplishments is Billy Volek..."

Ferragamo nearly led the Rams to a Super Bowl victory in 79 (and beat Dallas en route, my favorite part) but was ultimately unable to play better than the Steelers passing game, which eventually had its way with the Rams defense. At least, I think that was what happened ....

Guiness
09-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I better get a scan. My memory is so bad this week, its like a sympathy concussion for Collins. Though I swear Volek entered the discussion of crazy QB yardages this week sometime. Even if that sentence was "The one QB you won't see on this list of passing accomplishments is Billy Volek..."

Ferragamo nearly led the Rams to a Super Bowl victory in 79 (and beat Dallas en route, my favorite part) but was ultimately unable to play better than the Steelers passing game, which eventually had its way with the Rams defense. At least, I think that was what happened ....

No, no, you got it all wrong. It was Mark Brunell with the Jacksonville Jaguars! Geez, you're going to end up in a home with Cleft if you get any worse!