PDA

View Full Version : Jennings is a stud!!!!

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 01:55 PM
I just caught the third quarter when I was at home on my lunch break. Jennings is agreat looking receiver. This guy looks every bit as good as advertised.

Packnut
08-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I just caught the third quarter when I was at home on my lunch break. Jennings is agreat looking receiver. This guy looks every bit as good as advertised.

Not yet, but he does show promise that he will be something special.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I remember watching Murphy and thinking he had"it". Jennings is head and shoulders above him and it is just the first pre-season game. I'm not saying he is a Level headed T.O. he is more like a Marvin Harrison in the making.

fan4life
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
He needs to catch clutch 4th down passes before we we crown him. Short of that miss, though, he looks like the real deal.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I remember watching Murphy and thinking he had"it". Jennings is head and shoulders above him and it is just the first pre-season game. I'm not saying he is a Level headed T.O. he is more like a Marvin Harrison in the making.

Although he had a couple of drops he sure looks like he's got great potential.

Partial
08-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, lets not forget he did drop two big passes. I also think comparing him to a HOF receiver is a bit much. He looked competent as a rookie. He did not dazzle or light anyone up or even have a performance worth mentioning on any national shows. His numbers really aren't that good if you take the one big catch out, especially when you factor in the drops.

I'm not saying he won't be special, but he looked adequate at best. For a 2nd round draft pick at receiver, he looked about where he should be or slightly ahead.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I think he's looked a lot better than Murphy did at this point, and Murphy looked pretty good.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Well, lets not forget he did drop two big passes. I also think comparing him to a HOF receiver is a bit much. He looked competent as a rookie. He did not dazzle or light anyone up or even have a performance worth mentioning on any national shows. His numbers really aren't that good if you take the one big catch out, especially when you factor in the drops.

I'm not saying he won't be special, but he looked adequate at best. For a 2nd round draft pick at receiver, he looked about where he should be or slightly ahead.

Agreed. One of them was on 4th and 2 from the 12 yard line too. I don't think he's that awesome looking. You don't watch him and think Terrell Owens or Javon Walker. To me, what he looks like is a rookie that is tremendously polished. I tend to think his upside is somewhat limited though. I could see him eventually developing into a Derrick Mason type receiver.

Partial
08-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Agreed. One of them was on 4th and 2 from the 12 yard line too. I don't think he's that awesome looking. You don't watch him and think Terrell Owens or Javon Walker. To me, what he looks like is a rookie that is tremendously polished. I tend to think his upside is somewhat limited though. I could see him eventually developing into a Derrick Mason type receiver.

I agree, and that would be fine. I would kill for a Derrick Mason right now, and I don't think its reasonable to expect anything more than that from a second round pick at the peak of his career. Generally, the freaks that have the ability to change the game and be a perrenial pro bowler don't last past the first round. I don't know how TO came out of nowhere (3rd round pick) but I don't think Jennings has the speed, size, or height to ever ascend to that level.

CaptainKickass
08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
I agree, and that would be fine. I would kill for a Derrick Mason right now, and I don't think its reasonable to expect anything more than that from a second round pick at the peak of his career. Generally, the freaks that have the ability to change the game and be a perrenial pro bowler don't last past the first round. I don't know how TO came out of nowhere (3rd round pick) but I don't think Jennings has the speed, size, or height to ever ascend to that level.

Wasn't something similar said about Driver in his rookie year?

Also - I could not believe how much Jennings resembles Driver. It was honestly kind of creepy. But if TT can clone Driver and call him Jennings then I suggest he clone him again ASAP.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 03:48 PM
I agree, he's very much like Driver in that he doesn't have great size, speed, or strength. But he makes up for it in route running, effort, and heart.

PTPaQ
08-14-2006, 03:56 PM
If you can run routes and consistantly catch balls, you always have a shot in this league...

Jennings has that.

You can run a 4.30 and be 6'5" and be out of the league faster then you came in if you cant handle the fundamentals.

Jennings looks more then solid, reliable, he could be our bigtime posession receiver of the future, maybe we can compliment him with a game breaker like Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, etc...just examples.

I love the kid, but yes, he has to make those 4th down catches, and I'm sure he will.

p'c

4and12to12and4
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I just want to throw this out there. If Robert Ferguson had the exact same game that Jennings had, he would have been crtiticised unmercifully here for the two drops. Many would have said "Sure, he can catch a long pass when a second string defender is on him, and the ball is perfectly thrown to him, but what happens on the crucial short yardage plays when we need a first down? He doesn't even turn around in time to catch the ball, and then he sticks his hands up there deflecting it, almost getting it picked off". This would've been stated all over the place. Guaranteed. Hell, Fregy's catch was as impressive as Jennings long one, in fact people here have downplayed it because he was "wide-open" so he should've caught it. Yeah, he WAS wide open, and Favre almost overthrew him, it wasn't that easy of a catch. By the way, he was wide open for a reason, he GOT himself wide open. So, in reality, it was a better play than Jenkins.

This has turned into a bit of a rant, and I love this Jennings kid, dont' get me wrong, I'm merely trying to show that we if we are gonna give Fergy a fair shake this year, we need to clean the slate on the past years and let him prove himself on this years merit only. Whether you think he deserves it or not. It's only fair.

FritzDontBlitz
08-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I just want to throw this out there. If Robert Ferguson had the exact same game that Jennings had, he would have been crtiticised unmercifully here for the two drops. Many would have said "Sure, he can catch a long pass when a second string defender is on him, and the ball is perfectly thrown to him, but what happens on the crucial short yardage plays when we need a first down? He doesn't even turn around in time to catch the ball, and then he sticks his hands up there deflecting it, almost getting it picked off". This would've been stated all over the place. Guaranteed. Hell, Fregy's catch was as impressive as Jennings long one, in fact people here have downplayed it because he was "wide-open" so he should've caught it. Yeah, he WAS wide open, and Favre almost overthrew him, it wasn't that easy of a catch. By the way, he was wide open for a reason, he GOT himself wide open. So, in reality, it was a better play than Jenkins.

This has turned into a bit of a rant, and I love this Jennings kid, dont' get me wrong, I'm merely trying to show that we if we are gonna give Fergy a fair shake this year, we need to clean the slate on the past years and let him prove himself on this years merit only. Whether you think he deserves it or not. It's only fair.

the reason so many are down on ferguson is because he has had plenty of time to show us something but he continues to dissapoint for the most part. the only time fergy lived up to his hype was in the games prior to the donovan darius hit. in every other year he has been a resounding dud, except when he was allowed to play special teams...

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
4and12-

Well, we obviously would judge differently. Ferguson is a 6 year veteran. Jennings is a rookie.

For example. Take Aaron Rodgers as a rookie. He throws an interception. Would we judge him the same as Brett Favre? Of course not, he's a rookie and it's expected.

WRs almost NEVER contribute significantly in their rookie season. So when he shows polished route running and catching skills, of course people will get excited. That means that he'll only get better.

BlueBrewer
08-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Okay okay, comparing him to Harrison was a bit much, but there is so much potential from this kid. Walker was a 1st round pick and I remember him doing anything in his first year. All I am saying is that Jennings is way ahead of the normal receiver progression. What other receivers have come into the league and produced right away? Troy Williamson was a top pick last year, he had a few flashes last year but no steady production. I am just really excited to watch him grow.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Exactly, rookie WRs contributing is just very rare. So it's no wonder why people get excited by Jennings when he produces.

J-Rok
08-14-2006, 05:11 PM
I don't think he's that awesome looking. You don't watch him and think Terrell Owens or Javon Walker.

To be fair, in his first preseason, Javon Walker didn't look like Javon Walker either.

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I think that Jennings has great potential as well. Very well could get 45-50 catches this year, which would be great as a rookie. I think everyone here would be thrilled with that. I'll give the kid a break for the drops, first NFL game and all. I'd be happy with a Robert Brooks type performance (save the injury mind you) out of his NFL career.

BTW Banana, I love the location of your name in your autosignature, right where Gado's, err banana would be. :lol:

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, some things in life just need labeling. :wink:

Terry
08-14-2006, 06:35 PM
4and12-

Well, we obviously would judge differently. Ferguson is a 6 year veteran. Jennings is a rookie.

For example. Take Aaron Rodgers as a rookie. He throws an interception. Would we judge him the same as Brett Favre? Of course not, he's a rookie and it's expected.

WRs almost NEVER contribute significantly in their rookie season. So when he shows polished route running and catching skills, of course people will get excited. That means that he'll only get better.

Actually, I would say the opposite about Aaron Rodgers - that he gets criticized unmercifully for throwing interceptions and Brett gets a free pass. Maybe that will change now, after his showing in the game, but for the last year, I've heard the relentless drumbeat of how Rodgers is a bust.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 06:51 PM
True, I'm just saying that one would expect bad things out of a rookie. Bad example using Mr. Favre.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 07:24 PM
To be fair, in his first preseason, Javon Walker didn't look like Javon Walker either.

I don't know. Javon Walker looked the part from the get go. Caught a TD pass in his first game. The problem with him was that he had the dropsies his rookie year. He got that fixed when he got eye surgery. You could tell Javon would be a stud from the get go.

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 09:53 PM

Now that's not too fair.

Ferguson has always made a few great preseason plays and then failed during the regular season. Five years in a row.

Yes, I know he's had six years.

Ferguson was also a rookie 2nd round draft pick once. He was so frickin pathetic that year he didn't wear a uniform on game day til week 9 or 10.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be activated on game day.

Jennings is light years ahead of Ferguson as a rookie

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 09:55 PM
I agree, he's very much like Driver in that he doesn't have great size, speed, or strength. But he makes up for it in route running, effort, and heart.

I'd take another Driver long term. But I'd like to point out Driver was very very raw as a rookie. Jennings is much further polished.

I think the Derrick Mason comparison was solid. I can't think of a better one right now.

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 09:57 PM

I don't know. Javon Walker looked the part from the get go. Caught a TD pass in his first game. The problem with him was that he had the dropsies his rookie year. He got that fixed when he got eye surgery. You could tell Javon would be a stud from the get go.

I saw a TON of potential from Javon Walker from the get go. Honestly I saw more potential from JW than Jennings. JW has superstar potential.

Jennings has potential, to me, to be a very solid player for many years to come. And I'll take that.

BlueBrewer
08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Greg Jennings now = Joey Galloway now