PDA

View Full Version : Packers Looking to Add a D-Lineman?

vince
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
CBSSports.com

9 minutes ago - by James Carlton - Report: Packers work out three in hopes of bolstering DL
With second-year DE Mike Neal (knee) out for an extended period of time after having surgery last week, the Packers have only five defensive linemen on the roster. The team worked out three players Monday, according to Scout.com. The players were former fifth-round pick Hall Davis (6-6, 262 pounds), athletic Robert Rose (6-4, 294) and undrafted Sealver Siliga (6-2, 305). Packers RapidReports

red
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
how in the hell is a guy that weighs 262 gonna play d-line in a 3-4?

Joemailman
09-20-2011, 04:31 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Situational pass rusher?

Edit: He played OLB his senior year of college.

Freak Out
09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Is Fat Williams any good in a 3-4?

Joemailman
09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Is Fat Williams any good in a 3-4?

Packers already have to feed Raji, Green and Pickett. Might not be enough left for Fat Pat.

sharpe1027
09-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Rose was only released a couple days ago by Miami.

Hall has this interesting storyline (according to Wikipedia):
"Davis was traded to the Washington Redskins on August 30, 2010, for an undisclosed conditional draft pick. The following day, August 31, 2010, he was released by the Redskins."

Only the Redskins would trade for a guy and release him the next day.

MJZiggy
09-20-2011, 05:39 PM
And at 6' 6"? really? He's gotta be almost skinny at that height and weight. Maybe it's a typo.

Fritz
09-20-2011, 05:50 PM

"Davis was traded to the Washington Redskins on August 30, 2010, for an undisclosed conditional draft pick. The following day, August 31, 2010, he was released by the Redskins."

Only the Skins!

Lurker64
09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Didn't Pickett sprain an ankle in the Carolina game? If he's not able to go for the Bears game, they need to add another DL so they can have their five man rotation (barring a miraculous recovery by Neal) for the Bears game.

Plus they have the roster spot open from Collins going on IR.

Fritz
09-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Teddy, scraping the bottom of the barrel again.

Does he go dumpster diving for potato peelings late at night in the alleys of Green Bay?

pbmax
09-20-2011, 06:41 PM

I bet they didn't even validate his parking.

Brando19
09-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Didn't Pickett sprain an ankle in the Carolina game? If he's not able to go for the Bears game, they need to add another DL so they can have their five man rotation (barring a miraculous recovery by Neal) for the Bears game.

Plus they have the roster spot open from Collins going on IR.

I was at the game and with a minute to go...he was carted from the sidelines to the locker room. I didn't hear anything else about the injury.

red
09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I was at the game and with a minute to go...he was carted from the sidelines to the locker room. I didn't hear anything else about the injury.

christ

Brando19
09-20-2011, 08:07 PM
christ

I know, Red. The Panthers were trying to move the ball for a quick score and the next thing I know...a cart is over at the bench, Pickett gets on the back, and he's heading to the locker room. I've not read anywhere on the internet about that injury, but I told my wife our defense took two big hits that game.

Joemailman
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
I think it's a sprained foot. I guess if you can't walk and you weigh 340, you get a cart.

vince
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Pickett talked like he was going to play during Monday's lockerroom interview. He said he played most of the game with it on Sunday so it's not that big a deal according to him. It's been officially designated as a "foot bruise" according to McCarthy. Of course that means it's probably broken.

hoosier
09-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Really holding out hope they sign Sealver Siliga. I have no idea how he pronounces his name, but I am guessing it sounds like a Hispanic speaker saying "silver's illegal."

Brando19
09-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks, guys. I hadn't heard about the injury update. At least it's not serious and he'll be ready to go Bear hunting.

Fritz
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Really holding out hope they sign Sealver Siliga. I have no idea how he pronounces his name, but I am guessing it sounds like a Hispanic speaker saying "silver's illegal."

I hear what you're saying, but you gotta like "Robert Rose." Nothing like a little alliteration to get the blood pumping. And if he plays nose tackle in a 3-4, some bright announcer (Chris Collinsworth is the only one edumacated enough to know this) could say he was a rose between two thorns.

Pugger
09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Packers already have to feed Raji, Green and Pickett. Might not be enough left for Fat Pat.

:lol: :lol:

Partial
09-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes please. Pass rush nonexistent so far. TT is incredible but he's really had some questionable DL picks. Too bad about Jolly. They look a lot better today if JJ wasn't a moron. Gotta shore it up along with LB next year Teddy T.

Next year's draft should pretty much only look at DL, LB, S, CB, OL, QB. Hopefully we have another 10 picks.

The entire defense and OL are very talented but very, very thin right now in my opinion.

Upnorth
09-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I know it was mentioned before in another thread, but I can't remember how long Jolly is suspended for. He would be great to get back.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
:lol: :lol:

My guess is they want a guy that can play end, and have some kind of shot at rushing the passer, my guess is they go after Rose, or to hell with the bunch

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Jolly hasn't even applied for reinstatement, so he doesn't know if he is clear of the first problem, much less the second. he won't be back this season.

Jolly also was good, but not much of a pass rusher. Corey Williams had it over him in that department.

vince
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130286133.html

the Packers replaced WR Chastin West on the practice squad with DL Johnny Jones, a 6-4, 310-pound rookie free agent, who spent a month with the Miami Dolphins before being released.

hoosier
09-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Jolly wasn't a pass rusher but like Manute Bol he was a fantastic shot blocker and had good hands. If the pass rush is destined to be anemic, I would settle for that. Too bad his jones for purple drank is stronger than his jones for football.

rbaloha1
09-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Isn't this around the time TT found Howard Green? What about Walden?

No poster should question TT's season pick-ups.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Isn't this around the time TT found Howard Green? What about Walden?

No poster should question TT's season pick-ups.
Howard Green was a very lucky break, he got cut for being fat late in the season. Hard to find linemen anytime, let alone in the middle of the season.

MadScientist
09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Howard Green was a very lucky break, he got cut for being fat late in the season. Hard to find linemen anytime, let alone in the middle of the season.
Grady Jackson was a similar mid-season pickup a few years back that really helped the Pack in a time of need. Not a lineman, but the Andre Rison was a big mid-season pickup, also. Teams do sometimes dump useful players mid-season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Forgot about old Grady. well, lightening struck twice, five years apart.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Jolly wasn't a pass rusher but like Manute Bol he was a fantastic shot blocker and had good hands. If the pass rush is destined to be anemic, I would settle for that. Too bad his jones for purple drank is stronger than his jones for football.

He was a one man screen pass defense. Talk about having your head on a swivel, his whole torso was. I miss his weird skill set. I hope he decides to get paid again instead of consuming the drank.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2011, 07:55 PM
ya, Jolly was a damn good football player. Did many things well. I hope he makes it back to the NFL.

rbaloha1
09-21-2011, 08:18 PM

Its not luck -- prepared mind meets opportunity.

Nice recall with Grady Jackson. There must be other "overweight" d-linemen on the verge of getting cut.

What about Harrell?

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
rbaloha1, every GM is well aware of the marginal players on every other roster. It is 100% luck when a player at a need position suddenly becomes available.

The Packers would be very lucky to find a player better than CJ Wilson from another team's scrap heap. Wilson is OK, but the packers rarely trust him to play.

rbaloha1
09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
rbaloha1, every GM is well aware of the marginal players on every other roster. It is 100% luck when a player at a need position suddenly becomes available.

Why did 20+ teams pass on Green? Were the Packers the only team in-need of a d-lineman?

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2011, 08:36 PM
veterans don't have to clear waivers.

Packers desperately needed D-lineman, I'm sure they made a very competitive offer, and Packers were a great opportunity for Green to showcase his talents.

Green fell into Packers lap. Same deal with Jackson, another talented guy cut for discipline/weight problems.

It's possible that I owe TT some credit on this, can't say for sure that my perception is right.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 09:01 PM
veterans don't have to clear waivers.

I assume it's still 4 years to be a veteran. - even in the new deal? Howard Green was in his sixth year

Brando19
09-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Damn it, Ted....trade a TE for a D lineman!! Did anyone see that Asante Samuel is still unhappy in Philly? I'd love to see TT trade a 2nd round pick for that guy. Then moving Woodson to Safety wouldn't sound so bad.

Lurker64
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
We were just looking to add a DL to the PS, since the Jags signing West to their roster opened up a spot and we've wanted to have a PS 5-tech with some upside to develop for the past three seasons (It's why we drafted Wynn, Wilson, and Guy, none of whom are currently eligible for the PS.)

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
We were just looking to add a DL to the PS, since the Jags signing West to their roster opened up a spot and we've wanted to have a PS 5-tech with some upside to develop for the past three seasons (It's why we drafted Wynn, Wilson, and Guy, none of whom are currently eligible for the PS.)

Why wouldn't Guy be eligible?

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Guy was IRed

Lurker64
09-22-2011, 02:01 AM
Why wouldn't Guy be eligible?

He's on IR, so not allowed to practice or really do anything officially with the team other than "rehab."

pbmax
09-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Damn it, Ted....trade a TE for a D lineman!! Did anyone see that Asante Samuel is still unhappy in Philly? I'd love to see TT trade a 2nd round pick for that guy. Then moving Woodson to Safety wouldn't sound so bad.

Asante is no fan of zone coverage from what I have read. It would perhaps be difficult to have two freelancers like he and Wood in the backfield.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 07:26 AM
I assume it's still 4 years to be a veteran. - even in the new deal? Howard Green was in his sixth year

He was a waiver claim.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105903173.html

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 09:31 AM
He was a waiver claim.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105903173.html

Mahalo pb. The previous posts did not pass the common sense test.

Unsure why board members still negate TT's personnel and drafting moves given the fact TT rescued the Packers from Sherman's ineptness, won a super bowl and positioned the team for multiple super bowl appearances.

Expect TT to find waiver/street players to fit the scheme.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Mahalo pb. The previous posts did not pass the common sense test.

Unsure why board members still negate TT's personnel and drafting moves given the fact TT rescued the Packers from Sherman's ineptness, won a super bowl and positioned the team for multiple super bowl appearances.

Expect TT to find waiver/street players to fit the scheme.

If you're referring to my post, and not Harlan's, I don't know what you're talking about. Harlan claimed a veteran doesn't have to go through waivers(or can sign with any team he wants?). I looked it up and saw that a 'veteran' is someone who's played four years or more. So I wanted to know 1) Is this still true in the new collective bargaining and 2) Even if Green was claimed through waivers, did other teams with lesser records have a shot at him or not.

For me, this had ZERO to do with TT's prowess as a GM. PBmax saying he went through waivers didn't really answer my question, but I wasn't specific enough.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Unsure why board members still negate TT's personnel and drafting moves given the fact .... Holy strawmen, batman. TT's prowess as talent evaluator is unquestioned. The point I made is that finding a good player, especially at a tough-to-fill position like defensive line, from the scrap heap is mostly a matter of luck. I disagree that routinely players are available better than CJ Wilson, just waiting to be picked by a sharp shopping GM.

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Holy strawmen, batman. TT's prowess as talent evaluator is unquestioned. The point I made is that finding a good player, especially at a tough-to-fill position like defensive line, from the scrap heap is mostly a matter of luck. I disagree that routinely players are available better than CJ Wilson, just waiting to be picked by a sharp shopping GM.

Is it luck numerous teams misevaluated Green?

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Is it?

Did they?

Who else should have picked him up?

Freak Out
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
TT found Gado when we really needed him to lift the spirits of Packer Nation. Never forget it.

mraynrand
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
TT found Gado when we really needed him to lift the spirits of Packer Nation. Never forget it.

Who could forget Dr. Gado? Bend over, it's time for your rectal exam

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SamkonMD.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM

The story of Green is pretty funny, he was driving to his hometown somewhere in the South, dejected, got a call on his cell phone, then immediately changed direction and drove 2000 miles to Green Bay.

I believe that it was GB's dire need and attractive opportunity that pushed GB to the top of Green's queu. We can't prove our differing perceptions, so just have to agree to be disagreeable. I mean disagree on being agreeable. No, agree to disagree without being agreeable.

Guiness
09-22-2011, 01:46 PM
The story of Green is pretty funny, he was driving to his hometown somewhere in the South, dejected, got a call on his cell phone, then immediately changed direction and drove 2000 miles to Green Bay.

I believe that it was GB's dire need and attractive opportunity that pushed GB to the top of Green's queu. We can't prove our differing perceptions, so just have to agree to be disagreeable. I mean disagree on being agreeable. No, agree to disagree without being agreeable.

Driving home in a Ford pickup truck, I believe. Gotta bring it up Blue Dog, it adds colour!

hoosier
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM

You also left out the part about him going off the road and almost getting impaled by a post as he was talking to the Packers rep. Now that would have been a story.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2011, 10:33 PM
The Packers added a defensive lineman to the practice squad Wednesday when they signed rookie Johnny Jones. The The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Marshall University product signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in July and played in two preseason games before being cut.

The practice squad spot was opened when receiver Chastin West left to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday.

rbaloha1
09-23-2011, 11:25 AM
The Packers added a defensive lineman to the practice squad Wednesday when they signed rookie Johnny Jones. The The 6-foot-4, 310-pound Marshall University product signed with the Miami Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in July and played in two preseason games before being cut.

The practice squad spot was opened when receiver Chastin West left to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday.

Is this signing 100 percent luck if Jones performs like Green?

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2011, 01:45 PM
No, I'm not questioning TT's talent evaluation. This player is more typical of a midseason acquisition than guys like Green & Jackson who have experience as starters and can still play. There is a lot of luck in finding a guy like that at the Dline position.

Teamcheez1
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
TT likes defensive lineman named Johny. Jolly is gone, he needed a replacement.

Fritz
09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Guy would've been eligible for the practice squad if no one picked him up after he would've been cut. My guess is that the team felt they wouldn't be able to slide him through to the practice squad, so in the middle of the night they had Trgovac sneak in Guy's room and kick him in the head, then they put him on IR with a head injury.

As a fan who's allowed to make easy-sounding suggestions nearly impossible to pull off in real life, I suggest that Thompson trade James Jones and a pick for a young d-lineman maybe in a contract year. Which defensive linemen fall into that category and play for teams that are already struggling this season? Hell, I don't know. Ask Ted.

Lurker64
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Guy would've been eligible for the practice squad if no one picked him up after he would've been cut. My guess is that the team felt they wouldn't be able to slide him through to the practice squad, so in the middle of the night they had Trgovac sneak in Guy's room and kick him in the head, then they put him on IR with a head injury.

I don't think they needed to do that. For all the practices and preseason games that Guy missed because the doctors wouldn't clear him for a concussion, given the NFL's recent emphasis on concussions... nobody was going to call them out for putting him on IR.

AtlPackFan
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Who could forget Dr. Gado? Bend over, it's time for your rectal exam

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SamkonMD.jpg

Does he have small fingers. I only want a doctor doing that with small fingers. ;-)

Fritz
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Does he have small fingers. I only want a doctor doing that with small fingers. ;-)

I don't remember him having a fumbling problem, so his fingers were probably pretty good sized. I think you're out of luck, dude.

denverYooper
09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't remember him having a fumbling problem, so his fingers were probably pretty good sized. I think you're out of luck, dude.

Mooooooon River....

http://geektyrant.com/storage/page-images/fletch_moon_river.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION= 1296615566516

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Using the whole fist there, doc?