PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Again, pbmax On a Roll

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Somewhere, I cannot find the thread or post, there was a discussion of Woodson playing safety. I opined that he would not, as he had practiced there and there was still depth available.

But of course as it has repeatedly this week, my memory has failed me.

At different points last season (early, I think) Woodson did indeed line up in a defense as a safety, that defense was called Corner Oakie.

Wilde spent some time on the radio talking about it yesterday. It was a sub defense, not base, and it was designed I believe to be solid against the run when actually expecting pass and I think it was designed to help support Peprah (read: replace) in safety coverages. And I think it gave way mainly to the nickel they played a ton last year.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Unless Woodson lines up at a normal corner spot, don't you really just throw out typical designations when he's on the field? If they're playing nickel, is he really a safety or a LB rushing the passer? Or a corner in man coverage on the slot WR? Here's the question: when you say Woodson won't play safety, what are you thinking - that he won't play the 'typical' safety role' or something else? I don't think you're wrong, so much as I think Woodson just plays whatever position Woodson plays. Maybe along with S, CB, OLB, ILB, DL, etc. there should just be a 'W' designation for whatever the hell Woodson is doing.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Unless Woodson lines up at a normal corner spot, don't you really just throw out typical designations when he's on the field? If they're playing nickel, is he really a safety or a LB rushing the passer? Or a corner in man coverage on the slot WR? Here's the question: when you say Woodson won't play safety, what are you thinking - that he won't play the 'typical' safety role' or something else? I don't think you're wrong, so much as I think Woodson just plays whatever position Woodson plays. Maybe along with S, CB, OLB, ILB, DL, etc. there should just be a 'W' designation for whatever the hell Woodson is doing.

All true. When Woodson is in any position on the field except outside CB (like he was versus Carolina), his responsibilities are unique.

But the corner Oakie was a little unique in that he was the only other player on the field (beside Collins) who had any safety responsibilities. Often though, you are correct. He would line up near the line and play either run support or slot coverage (on a RB or TE if the offense was in a conventional formation) just like he would in nickel. He was not often a deep safety.

hoosier
09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Mike Hunt has an article in JS today where he pitches the idea of putting CW at safety. While I think Hunt has more to offer than most of their journalists, he does seem a little too wedded to the idea of Woodson playing a traditional position.

rbaloha1
09-21-2011, 12:59 PM
The last time Woodson lined-up at safety (Texans 2008 or 2009 game), the results were mixed.

Actually the board should be happy Peprah lining up. Burnett can play Collins position which he may be better suited for.

pbmax
09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
The last time Woodson lined-up at safety (Texans 2008 or 2009 game), the results were mixed.

Actually the board should be happy Peprah lining up. Burnett can play Collins position which he may be better suited for.

Yes, he even had some trouble in Capers first year didn't he? They occasionally had him and Al play bail coverage so they could form a deep 3 man shell in the back and I seem to remember he and the other DBs had some trouble communicating. Or was that during Sanders time?

KYPack will remember this. They once let a TD go untouched while giving each other the "I thought you had him" look.

Fritz
09-21-2011, 04:35 PM

Sometimes you can't even tell if he's a man or a woman. Or white or black.

CaliforniaCheez
09-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Woodson is a player that has many talents and can be moved around the formation.

Dom Capers can call any kind of crazy defense (like BJ Raji dropping into coverage).

Can Woodson wherever he is cover any better, tackle better or force as many fumbles?

Is the position name really that important?

Guiness
09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Did someone say to name a position?

I'll take Kama Sutra for 200, Alex.

bobblehead
09-21-2011, 07:23 PM

Are we talking about michael jackson? Move this thread to the RR.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Why are you always going on about women, Stan? You're putting us off.