PDA

View Full Version : Whither Jordy Nelson

denverYooper
09-21-2011, 12:52 PM
From CHFFl (http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/10_4053_Power_Rankings%3A_Packers%2C_Patriots_lead _way.html):

The Cold, Hard Football Facts: Jordy Nelson’s numbers over his last eight games including playoffs: 35 catches, 610 yards, five touchdowns. That’s a 70-catch, 1,220-yard, 10 TD pace over a full season – not bad for a guy who averages 30-35 snaps a game.

Is Jordy benefiting from being the "#3" receiver? How much longer will that hold? Dan Pompeii is also wondering (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-20/sports/ct-spt-0921-pompei-bears-chicago--20110921_1_jordy-nelson-jermichael-finley-packers).

He's currently at 161 yards on 7 receptions and 2 TD so far this year, leading the team in yards and TD. His 84 yard TD accounts for a big part of that so far this year, so who knows if he'll end up with 1000+ and 16 TD ;), but his last 8 games have been impressive and he looks to be making the most of his opportunities.

What happens if he gets more snaps and/or teams start paying more attention to him?

Smeefers
09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
As long as Driver continues to perform at the level he's at, he's not going to get bumped down in the rotation. I know Jordy is turning into this shiny new toy that the fans want to see on the field a lot, but MM has so far resisted the temptation to downgrade DD.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Jordy played more snaps last Sunday then Driver.

mraynrand
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
It'a all about creating favorable alignments. Jordy was getting a lot of those numbers lined up against lesser defenders on the other squad. If opposing D's put their first or second best corner across from Jordy, or even rotate a safety to help, then the Packers go somewhere else - Like Jones against the dime back, or Finley against a LB. Not to mention Jennings, or maybe Driver sitting down in an open zone in the middle. Teams focus on Nelson at their peril.

Packers4Glory
09-21-2011, 02:35 PM
From CHFFl (http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/10_4053_Power_Rankings%3A_Packers%2C_Patriots_lead _way.html):

Is Jordy benefiting from being the "#3" receiver? How much longer will that hold? Dan Pompeii is also wondering (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-20/sports/ct-spt-0921-pompei-bears-chicago--20110921_1_jordy-nelson-jermichael-finley-packers).

He's currently at 161 yards on 7 receptions and 2 TD so far this year, leading the team in yards and TD. His 84 yard TD accounts for a big part of that so far this year, so who knows if he'll end up with 1000+ and 16 TD ;), but his last 8 games have been impressive and he looks to be making the most of his opportunities.

What happens if he gets more snaps and/or teams start paying more attention to him? Well, I think a lot of guys opposite Jennings and Finley will have success. Not to mention Driver. I still like Jones a ton, and Cobb looks like he's gonna be somebody one day. I think that even if Nelson ends up the #2 guy, there will still be plenty of weapons for teams to worry about. I'd not expect much if any drop off, and a possibly a little more consistent performances from game to game. Right now dude might get lost, which he did other than that one huge gain.

gbgary
09-21-2011, 03:43 PM
It'a all about creating favorable alignments. Jordy was getting a lot of those numbers lined up against lesser defenders on the other squad. If opposing D's put their first or second best corner across from Jordy, or even rotate a safety to help, then the Packers go somewhere else - Like Jones against the dime back, or Finley against a LB. Not to mention Jennings, or maybe Driver sitting down in an open zone in the middle. Teams focus on Nelson at their peril.

yup. the Packers shouldn't change a thing unless forced too.

CaliforniaCheez
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Unlike Pokeman, defenses can't catch 'em all.

rbaloha1
09-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Jordy is receiving favorable matchups and getting open.

Being white helps.

Brandon494
09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Jordy is good, hes the Ryan Grant of the Wide Receiver corp.

Smeefers
09-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Jordy is receiving favorable matchups and getting open.

Being white helps.

Agreed. White people are superior athletes. Especially when they have favorable match ups. :p

I think he's just accepted his role. I don't see him having much of a "me first" attitude. Heck, none of the packers have that me first attitude. When JJ was silent in the first game, you didn't hear a word from him. Same thing from Grant. No whining that he's not more involved in the game. I think the skill guys we have all understood that most of them are given opportunities to excel, and they're happy that they're given the opportunity. It's up to them to make the plays and thankfully, they do.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Actually JJ did bitch about not getting on the field after the first game. Finley is also a me first player. He wants the ball and if he doesn't get his passes he will speak up in the media.

pbmax
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Actually JJ did bitch about not getting on the field after the first game. Finley is also a me first player. He wants the ball and if he doesn't get his passes he will speak up in the media.

Unlike Jones, Finley has a case. And I think he share of the throws is one of the few things he hasn't been public about, has he?

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I think Finley needs more looks too. That series where they threw at Jennings 4 straight times made me nuts. They have the ultimate first down machine in #88.

rbaloha1
09-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Agreed. White people are superior athletes. Especially when they have favorable match ups. :p

I think he's just accepted his role. I don't see him having much of a "me first" attitude. Heck, none of the packers have that me first attitude. When JJ was silent in the first game, you didn't hear a word from him. Same thing from Grant. No whining that he's not more involved in the game. I think the skill guys we have all understood that most of them are given opportunities to excel, and they're happy that they're given the opportunity. It's up to them to make the plays and thankfully, they do.

Being white instantly means black dbs underestimate JN's speed. They find out quickly how wrong they are.

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Jordy might be our second best receiver right now, and third best receiving option. He needs to play more. Almost every time I looked at the third WR set against Carolina, Jones was in for Jordy.

denverYooper
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Unlike Jones, Finley has a case. And I think he share of the throws is one of the few things he hasn't been public about, has he?

At least not on Twitter lately. Someone asked him about putting up more TDs and he said he'd take Ws: http://twitter.com/#!/JermichaelF88/status/116185259250425856

He's worked on his media image. I don't know that the Packer Way comes easy to him but he seems to be trying.

denverYooper
09-23-2011, 11:58 AM
I think Finley needs more looks too. That series where they threw at Jennings 4 straight times made me nuts. They have the ultimate first down machine in #88.

1-10-GB 49 (1:25) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep middle to 85-G.Jennings.
2-10-GB 49 (1:21) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 85-G.Jennings to CAR 45 for 6 yards.
3-4-CAR 45 (:54) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to 85-G.Jennings.
4-4-CAR 45 (:50) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to 85-G.Jennings (20-C.Gamble).

That was just a little aggravating.

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
1-10-GB 49 (1:25) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep middle to 85-G.Jennings.
2-10-GB 49 (1:21) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass short right to 85-G.Jennings to CAR 45 for 6 yards.
3-4-CAR 45 (:54) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to 85-G.Jennings.
4-4-CAR 45 (:50) (Shotgun) 12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to 85-G.Jennings (20-C.Gamble).

That was just a little aggravating.

Fill my eyes with that tunnel vision

mmmdk
09-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Future Packer WR ranking: 1st GJ, 2nd Cobb, 3rd Nelson, 4th Driver, 5th JJ / PS player. Will this sooner rather than later? Man, that's a great, great corps.