PDA

View Full Version : Packer stock--anyone get in on the last offering? New offering coming

Packers4Glory
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8226f0ea/article/packers-ask-nfl-approval-for-fifth-stock-sale-in-team-history

how the heck did you get in last time? I want some!

Tony Oday
09-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a share and will buy two this time for my son and I.

Deputy Nutz
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
It isn't worth the paper it is printed. You are donating money to the Packers to pay for their nice things.

I don't know what is worth more the stock, or when they bagged up the turf at Lambeau Field and sold it.

Packer fan might not have front lawns in their trailer parks, but at least they have a nice clump of $40.00 sod in their freezer.

BZnDallas
09-22-2011, 12:14 AM
It isn't worth the paper it is printed. You are donating money to the Packers to pay for their nice things.

I don't know what is worth more the stock, or when they bagged up the turf at Lambeau Field and sold it.

Packer fan might not have front lawns in their trailer parks, but at least they have a nice clump of $40.00 sod in their freezer.

I dont own any stock... yet... i'll try and buy some this time around if i have the chance... i dont mind donating a lil bit of my money to my fav team... i donate to other organizations, why not...

but i do own a piece of that sod from Lambeau... its a dried up dirt claud now, sitting on a shelf with its ticket of authenticity...

what can i say... i'm a FAN-ADDICT!!!!!

Pugger
09-22-2011, 06:54 AM

My, aren't you charming.

If it weren't for the first 2 stock sales the Packers would not still be in Green Bay.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2011, 07:59 AM
^ charm has nothing to do with it, I am just that awesome. I wonder why their wasn't a stock sale in the 1980s?

pittstang5
09-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Anyone know how you can purchase the stock - via online or phone...how?

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
How cool would it be to win that lottery and go to an owners meeting.

sharpe1027
09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Relax Nutz. I doubt P4G was planning to make money on the stock. You are not enlightening us all some great insight. I think it is a cool idea to own part of the team, even if that doesn't mean much else monetarily or otherwise.

Pugger
09-22-2011, 12:21 PM
^ charm has nothing to do with it, I am just that awesome. I wonder why their wasn't a stock sale in the 1980s?

The same reason why there wasn't one in the 60s. There wasn't a financial need.

AtlPackFan
09-22-2011, 12:57 PM
The same reason why there wasn't one in the 60s. There wasn't a financial need.

Or maybe there wasn't one in the 80s because they sucked so bad for the previous 2 decades (2 decades by the time Infante was coaching) that no one would buy stock at that time.

MadScientist
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
One of the articles noted that the stock sale was likely to be approved because it was to be used for stadium improvements. There weren't any big stadium projects in the 1980's. Stock sales were not likely to be approved for routine operating costs, with the TV revenue sharing in place.

Pugger
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
One of the articles noted that the stock sale was likely to be approved because it was to be used for stadium improvements. There weren't any big stadium projects in the 1980's. Stock sales were not likely to be approved for routine operating costs, with the TV revenue sharing in place.

This.

I assume the Packers want to use money raised with this stock sale for the improvements they want for Lambeau Field.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Or maybe there wasn't one in the 80s because they sucked so bad for the previous 2 decades (2 decades by the time Infante was coaching) that no one would buy stock at that time.

We have a winner! The Packers would have been smart to sell their make believe stock in the 80s so they could actually afford a competitive football team.

What saved this franchise was free agency, Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Brett Favre, and Reggie White.

If you could sell your stock like any other stock that gets traded then I think it would be a great concept. But stockholders hold exactly nothing besides the knowledge that the Packers can't ever be moved by a single owner. The Packers would be shut down and the profits would go to the Shriners, or an elk club of some sort.

You don't even get season tickets or even a game ticket with a stock purchase. you get a piece of paper. It doesn't even have an original signature on it.

sharpe1027
09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Can't you get your money back by selling the stock back to the Packers and don't you also get voting rights? I'm not a saying it is a good return on your investment, but it is not "exactly nothing" either. Also, while you don't get season tickets or a game ticket, you also don't get an free Ipod for buying Apple stock.

Relax, it is mostly about being able to contribute to the team and/or owning part of the team. Some people feel proud to be able to do that. No need to be an ass about it.

MadScientist
09-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Can't you get your money back by selling the stock back to the Packers and don't you also get voting rights? I'm not a saying it is a good return on your investment, but it is not "exactly nothing" either. Also, while you don't get season tickets or a game ticket, you also don't get an free Ipod for buying Apple stock.

You do get voting rights, and the right to attend the shareholders meeting at Lambeau every year. You also get to say that you are part owner of an NFL franchise. (Bar pickup line perhaps?) I don't think you could sell the stock back to the Packers unless they authorized a stock buyback program.

You don't get an Ipod when buying Apple stock, but if you bought it some time ago and sold it now, you sure could afford one. Nothing like that will happen with Packers stock.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Would you rather have a stock certificate, or a trio of Javon Walker, Mike McKenzie and Johnny Jolly jerseys?

Little Whiskey
09-22-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't believe the stock has any voting rights. nuts is right. its just a peice of paper. just like it was a clump of dirt in a box when they sold turf.

Joemailman
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.quora.com/Do-Green-Bay-Packer-shareholders-think-public-ownership-is-an-effective-ownership-strategy-for-an-NFL-team

The benefits of being a shareholder are:
A stock certificate with your name on it (memorabilia)
Bragging rights / pride of ownership
A (small) say in the management of the team

I am a shareholder of the Packers (I received a share as a Christmas gift in 1997 from my father who was a big fan). Each year I get a ballot in the mail to vote for members of the Board of Directors who select an executive committee of 7 people who then hire the team management. The management and the Board of Directors hear from the shareholders (fans) at an annual meeting.

Despite its non-profit status, shares in the Packers are handled in much the same way as shares of normal public company. The ballot looks the same as a public company proxy and the team uses Bank of New York Mellon as the transfer agent.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Would you rather have a stock certificate, or a trio of Javon Walker, Mike McKenzie and Johnny Jolly jerseys?

I did buy a Sterling Sharpe jersey the day before he broke his neck.

After than I have refused to buy another jersey.

I would rather have a Jolly Jersey because that dude is off the hook with Grape Drink!

Scott Campbell
09-22-2011, 07:57 PM
http://www.quora.com/Do-Green-Bay-Packer-shareholders-think-public-ownership-is-an-effective-ownership-strategy-for-an-NFL-team

The benefits of being a shareholder are:
A stock certificate with your name on it (memorabilia)
Bragging rights / pride of ownership
A (small) say in the management of the team

I am a shareholder of the Packers (I received a share as a Christmas gift in 1997 from my father who was a big fan). Each year I get a ballot in the mail to vote for members of the Board of Directors who select an executive committee of 7 people who then hire the team management. The management and the Board of Directors hear from the shareholders (fans) at an annual meeting.

Despite its non-profit status, shares in the Packers are handled in much the same way as shares of normal public company. The ballot looks the same as a public company proxy and the team uses Bank of New York Mellon as the transfer agent.

Didn't a couple of shareholders get to attend some kind of owners meeting recently?

gbgary
09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
it's a way of supporting the team that goes directly to the team (not shared with some manufacturer, the league, or lining the pocket of some billionaire owner). it's another connection to the history and tradition of the Packers. it's voluntary (not a mandatory tax). it's harmless.

KYPack
09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
In other related posts, Nutz thought Santa was a fat guy and the Easter Bunny was a too-cute rodent.

Lighten up, Nutroll, the schtick is a mite too thick.

Deputy Nutz
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
If they could scam stock sales when ever they wanted why did they take tax dollars from Brown County when they did the renovation? They didn't sell stock to pay for the renovation.

Joemailman
09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
If they could scam stock sales when ever they wanted why did they take tax dollars from Brown County when they did the renovation? They didn't sell stock to pay for the renovation.

Yes they did. The stock sale of 1997-98, which netted 20 million, was used for the renovation. They would have had to sell over a million shares to fund the whole thing with stock sales. They shockingly came to the conclusion they couldn't sell that many. If my memory is correct, the 20 million was less than they were hoping for.

MJZiggy
09-22-2011, 09:34 PM

Because the drought in fan loyalty was just too much to bear. For fuck's sake nutz, maybe folks just think it's fun to feel like they own a piece of the team that they love. And I believe given the option, if they'd had a stock sale in the 80's people would have bought it. It isn't like there was ever an empty seat in that stadium, like ever. You may have noticed, but this team has a VERY loyal fan base. They buy dirt for godssakes.

Pugger
09-22-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't believe the stock has any voting rights. nuts is right. its just a peice of paper. just like it was a clump of dirt in a box when they sold turf.

No, shareholders have voting rights at the annual shareholders' meeting.

jpompo
09-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I very rarely post but this thread (in my somewhat inebriated state) is really pissing me off. Oh really, the stock is effectively worthless? NO WAY! What earth shattering information! You know what else is a waste of money(time) watching games, going to games, posting on this site, reading articles, it's all taking away from time that could be used making money. The stock, like going to games, is something that an individual can spend money on that makes the purchaser happy, and if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, more power to you. If posting 7,000 times about how you like 4 and don't like the Packers on a Packers website makes you happy, more power to you. In the time it takes to make 7,000 posts I'm sure I've made more than enough to buy plenty of worthless Packers stock, but posting was certainly more worthwhile.... right....

MJZiggy
09-23-2011, 05:18 AM
I very rarely post but this thread (in my somewhat inebriated state) is really pissing me off. Oh really, the stock is effectively worthless? NO WAY! What earth shattering information! You know what else is a waste of money(time) watching games, going to games, posting on this site, reading articles, it's all taking away from time that could be used making money. The stock, like going to games, is something that an individual can spend money on that makes the purchaser happy, and if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, more power to you. If posting 7,000 times about how you like 4 and don't like the Packers on a Packers website makes you happy, more power to you. In the time it takes to make 7,000 posts I'm sure I've made more than enough to buy plenty of worthless Packers stock, but posting was certainly more worthwhile.... right....
You should post more...

Little Whiskey
09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
7350 posts to be exact.

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Because the drought in fan loyalty was just too much to bear. For fuck's sake nutz, maybe folks just think it's fun to feel like they own a piece of the team that they love. And I believe given the option, if they'd had a stock sale in the 80's people would have bought it. It isn't like there was ever an empty seat in that stadium, like ever. You may have noticed, but this team has a VERY loyal fan base. They buy dirt for godssakes.

Is buying dirt a good thing? Where are your priorities if you are buying dirt?

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes they did. The stock sale of 1997-98, which netted 20 million, was used for the renovation. They would have had to sell over a million shares to fund the whole thing with stock sales. They shockingly came to the conclusion they couldn't sell that many. If my memory is correct, the 20 million was less than they were hoping for.

The renovation began at the turn of the century I believe. I went to a Playoff game in 2002 and they were just begining work on the outside of the stadium. Now they could have taken that 20 million of stock revenue and invested it, but the majority of the funding came from the tax payers of Brown County. Which is totally acceptable in my opinion because of the revenue generated by the Packers. I couldn't even begin to estimate the amount of cash that floods Brown County on weekends of home games.

ThunderDan
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
The renovation began at the turn of the century I believe. I went to a Playoff game in 2002 and they were just begining work on the outside of the stadium. Now they could have taken that 20 million of stock revenue and invested it, but the majority of the funding came from the tax payers of Brown County. Which is totally acceptable in my opinion because of the revenue generated by the Packers. I couldn't even begin to estimate the amount of cash that floods Brown County on weekends of home games.

We tried to in another thread but it turned into more mudslinging than actual debate.

MadScientist
09-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I did buy a Sterling Sharpe jersey the day before he broke his neck.

After than I have refused to buy another jersey.

Now would be a good time for you to invest in Bears jerseys, or possibly a Megatron one :)
You should definitely not be buying Packers stock.

MadtownPacker
09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Man, some hard but deserved jabs there. I like it.

So when is the sale? I'm gonna buy one maybe it can be in PackerRats name. Maybe we should all pitch in to buy one for Nutty. :lol:

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 10:12 AM
We tried to in another thread but it turned into more mudslinging than actual debate.

So don't bother posting. I don't think I mentioned you or any of your posts in this thread.

AtlPackFan
09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Wow. This has become heated.

MJ, I respectfully disagree. I really don't believe a stock sale in the 80's would have been as successful as the stock sale in the 90s. You would have had the same core loyal Packer fans buying stock (that could afford it...I couldn't) but the 90s sale caught a lot of fair-weather/casual fans that I don't believe would have otherwise participated. I know a few people with money to burn that couldn't have told you who the coach(s) were in the 80s but "became avid fans" and bought stock in the 90s sale. Its kind of like the Brewers drawing 3 million...wouldn't be happening if they were playing like they had before Anastasio (spelling) bought the club and their play started to turn around.

On the flip side, Nutz, I would buy stock if I could afford it...even in the 70s and 80s. I don't care what voting rights, perks it affords me...it would be my way of being a piece of the greatest organization in professional sports.

Question for you all....doesn't the league have to approve the stock sale and doesn't the organization have to tell the league what the stock sale is for up front? For example, I don't think the money can be invested (though I guess renovations is kind of an investment) or used for player saleries.

Pugger
09-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow. This has become heated.

MJ, I respectively disagree. I really don't believe a stock sale in the 80's would have been as successful as the stock sale in the 90s. You would have had the same core loyal Packer fans buying stock (that could afford it...I couldn't) but the 90s sale caught a lot of fair-weather/casual fans that I don't believe would have otherwise participated. I know a few people with money to burn that couldn't have told you who the coach(s) were in the 80s but "became avid fans" and bought stock in the 90s sale. Its kind of like the Brewers drawing 3 million...wouldn't be happening if they were playing like they had before Anastasio (spelling) bought the club and their play started to turn around.

On the flip side, Nutz, I would buy stock if I could afford it...even in the 70s and 80s. I don't care what voting rights, perks it affords me...it would be my way of being a piece of the greatest organization in professional sports.

Question for you all....doesn't the league have to approve the stock sale and doesn't the organization have to tell the league what the stock sale is for up front? For example, I don't think the money can be invested (though I guess renovations is kind of an investment) or used for player saleries.

Yes. Back during the first 2 stock sales there was no TV revenue sharing so the team used the monies raised to pay off debts and keep the team in GB. Now the team has to get league approval and not use that revenue for players salaries.

Patler
09-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes. Back during the first 2 stock sales there was no TV revenue sharing so the team used the monies raised to pay off debts and keep the team in GB. Now the team has to get league approval and not use that revenue for players salaries.

Yup. There are strict limitations on what expenses money from the sale of stock can be used for now. It's basically just for capital improvements, not operating expenses.

The league approved and the Packers authorized more shares than were sold the last time, which had required "manipulations" of the previously owned shares to comply with business laws on corporation stocks classes. The will probably now just sell the unsold shares from the previous offering.

Is the purchase of a Packers share certificate to hang on your wall any less smart tha the purchase of a poster of Lambeau Field, a jersey as others have said, or any other rec room or other wall decoration? It's a piece of Packer memorabilia, with a few side perks; nothing more.

I will buy one if I can, even though I have no other Packer memorabilia or clothing other than a complete collection of their yearbooks.

gbgary
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM

this!

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 03:03 PM

We are supposed to be respectful of new posters or those that are afraid to post so I will be gentle. You can spend your dollars any way you want. If you want to by stock because it brings you closer to the Packers and makes you feel part of the organization by all means. If you want to shell out your money for clump of dirt, don't let my opinion on dirt stand in your way, especially if Brett Favre spit a wade of Skoal on that torn up piece of sod.

It is really hard to support a team and associate yourself with such a disturbed fan base. This is apparently part of my 12 step program of removing myself from the Packerfandom. It will get worse before it gets better.

swede
09-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Well Nutz, Packerfans are like a bucket of crabs. You don't need to put a cover on a bucket of crabs because if one starts to crawl out the others pull him back in the bucket. Welcome back.

Travbrew
09-23-2011, 03:53 PM
We are supposed to be respectful of new posters or those that are afraid to post so I will be gentle. You can spend your dollars any way you want. If you want to by stock because it brings you closer to the Packers and makes you feel part of the organization by all means. If you want to shell out your money for clump of dirt, don't let my opinion on dirt stand in your way, especially if Brett Favre spit a wade of Skoal on that torn up piece of sod.

It is really hard to support a team and associate yourself with such a disturbed fan base. This is apparently part of my 12 step program of removing myself from the Packerfandom. It will get worse before it gets better.

Which step is your final signoff of PR? j/k!
(had to do it before someone else did)

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Well Nutz, Packerfans are like a bucket of crabs. You don't need to put a cover on a bucket of crabs because if one starts to crawl out the others pull him back in the bucket. Welcome back.

You poor confused bastard, I am not coming back. The 12 steps was in relation to me leaving the Packerfandom.

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Which step is your final signoff of PR? j/k!
(had to do it before someone else did)

I am Packerrats.

Travbrew
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I am Packerrats.

I'm Batman!

MadtownPacker
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I am Packerrats.

Sad but true.

mraynrand
09-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I am Packerrats.

I'm Spartacus!

AtlPackFan
09-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I am Packerrats.

I'm Spartacus!

I am the Walrus.

MJZiggy
09-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I am the Walrus.

coo coo kachoo. (you know you were thinking it)