PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to speed challenges WR Greg Jennings

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Adjusting to speed challenges Jennings

Monday, August 14, 2006

By Scott Jungman
Special to the Gazette

SAN DIEGO -- Greg Jennings' play-making ability has gained him early star power in his first NFL training camp. There have even been whispers he could be the first rookie receiver to start opening day for the Green Bay Packers since Sterling Sharpe in 1988.

But all that chatter developed off his efforts in practice. The Kalamazoo Central High School and Western Michigan University finally got the chance to show what he could do in a game Saturday night and he didn't disappoint -- catching four passes for a team-high 68 yards in the Packers'
17-3 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Jennings was in on the Packers' longest play of the game -- a 47-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers in the second half.

Afterward, the second-round draft pick confided to Packers running back and Mattawan native Noah Herron that he was floored by the speed of the game.

" I was telling Noah, it was like I didn't feel anything. I didn't know what to feel,'' Jennings said.

"When I got out there that first play, it was just like, man, the speed of the play. I couldn't believe it. You definitely can't practice the speed of the game and can only experience it by being out there.''

Jennings entered the game on the third play from scrimmage and his first lesson came on a quick hook pattern. Jennings battled two defenders for position and turned just in time to have a Brett Favre laser ricochet off his face mask.

" I told Brett that one was my fault,'' Jennings said.

" I didn't get my head around quick enough.''

But two plays later, Jennings hauled in a Favre pass and tip-toed the sidelines for a nice 8-yard gain to set up a fourth-and-2 at the Chargers' 14-yard line.

Then, the speed of the game overwhelmed him once again. On fourth down, Jennings made the catch over the middle only to have two defenders strip the ball out of his grasp for an incompletion.

"I had it and they knocked it out of my hands,'' Jennings said.

"I should have caught it and there's no excuse."

Top Packers receiver Donald Driver noticed Jennings' frustration after the drop.

" I told Greg that you have to go out there and just play,'' Driver said. ``I told him that the game is faster than practice, believe it or not. I think he realized that in the first half when those guys were coming at him, and when he caught the ball they were right there.''

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Good article, thanks.

ahaha
08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
If he was overwhelmed, he did a hell of a job adjusting.

Partial
08-14-2006, 03:42 PM
I really think Jennings performance is being vastly overrated and blown out of proportion. It was alright, and he didn't look bad, but he didn't look good either. He caught one deep ball against 2nd-3rd string defenders that greatly padded his stats. It was a nice grab, though.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Good article, thanks.

It's my pleasure to help. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 Packer Fans !!

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Partial-

Well, I think considering all the circumstances, he had a good game.

Being his first game EVER in the NFL, I think he made some great catches. Just because a WR doesn't get over 100 yards doesn't mean he didn't have a good game.

It wasn't a probowl worthy performance, but for a rookie WR it was very good. Especially since rookie WRs typically contribute very little.

Partial
08-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Partial-

Being his first game EVER in the NFL, I think he made some great catches. Just because a WR doesn't get over 100 yards doesn't mean he didn't have a good game.

It wasn't a probowl worthy performance, but for a rookie WR it was very good. Especially since rookie WRs typically contribute very little.

touche, pussycat

4and12to12and4
08-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Partial-

I don't think Partial is saying he didn't have a good game because he didn't get 100 yards, I think he's saying that because he had two critical drops. Also, although he had a long catch (which was very nice, by the way), he didn't do anythng "spectactular" like break a tackle, or zig-zag his way through the middle of the field with unbelievable jukes, etc.. So, though he had a pretty good showing, I think that Partial is just reminding everybody to remember that he hasn't shown that he's the second coming of Terrell Owens just yet. I mean, some one here referred to him in the likes of Marvin Harrison. That is just too much for now, anyways. We are all excited about his potential, but let's not do the same thing to him as we are doing to Hawk. Hawk has nowhere to go but down because of all the hype he has gotten. I really feel sorry for him, and I'm sure he feels that pressure and it can affect a player adversely. So, let's not put Jennings in the pro-bowl and hall of fame just yet. Let's just enjoy what he gives us game by game.

red
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
i think the catch on the sideline was special. he showed great pro awareness to get one foot in and drag the toe of the other

the two drops, one you could blame favre just as much as jennings, yet i haven't seen anyone say it was favres fault. it was a rocket from about 5 yards away that went high and a bit behind jennings. it could have been thrown better. jennings had almost zero time to adjust to that ball

the other, you could also say was a great defensive play. jennings caught the ball and started to make a move when the defender behind him dove and punched the ball out from behind. (at least thats what it looked like to me). he said it was both defenders that were pulling the ball out. he did run a nice route to get open on that play. and its something he'll learn from, he'll now know in the pros the ball can be stripped from anywhere, you have to wrap up better. this is something ferguson should have already known in his 5th year when he would catch a ball and the hand it to the cb, almost without a fight.

jennings has shown to this point that he has heart, he was pissed on the sideline after the "drop", he couldn't wait to get back in, you could see it in his eyes. when fergy does in he shows no emotion, like he's already been defeated

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 09:49 PM
the two drops, one you could blame favre just as much as jennings, yet i haven't seen anyone say it was favres fault. it was a rocket from about 5 yards away that went high and a bit behind jennings.

What? The first one hit him in the face mask. Perfect pass. Jennings admitted it was his fault, and that he should have been quicker to turn around on that route. The 4th down ball was right in his mitts too. Don't pass the buck onto Favre on those. Those were NFL throws.

red
08-14-2006, 09:56 PM
the two drops, one you could blame favre just as much as jennings, yet i haven't seen anyone say it was favres fault. it was a rocket from about 5 yards away that went high and a bit behind jennings.

What? The first one hit him in the face mask. Perfect pass. Jennings admitted it was his fault, and that he should have been quicker to turn around on that route. The 4th down ball was right in his mitts too. Don't pass the buck onto Favre on those. Those were NFL throws.

sorry but he was running fromright to left and it went over his left shoulder, thats definately not the ideal spot, and like i said a favre bullet from 5 yards away. of course he's going to say its his fault, whats he gonna do? blame favre for a bad pass and piss off the entire packer nation after playing one preseason game? the perfect pass would have been right at his gut and just ahead of him, right where his hands were. that throw would have been tuff for the best of pros to grad IMO, you need some damn quick reflexes to get that

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
5 yards away is a slight exaggeration. If he would have turned around quicker and in the spot he should have for a hook route, it would have been dead on. It's a hot route. The QB doesn't have a ton of time back there

red
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
5 yards away is a slight exaggeration. If he would have turned around quicker and in the spot he should have for a hook route, it would have been dead on. It's a hot route. The QB doesn't have a ton of time back there

well that could be the case, and in that case it would be jennings fault, but thats the first i've heard that he ran the wrong route there, he sure wasn't running like it was a hook

running a short hook to where favre threw the ball with 2 defenders on your back doesn't get you a first(if i remember right). running a slant and favre throwing it where it should have gone on a slant would have gotten you a 1st. on 4th and two they had no choice but to get a fist down. jennings had the first down where he was if the ball was thrown right. but IMO if he should have run the hook, and if thats where brett was throwing, the ball would have been turned over on downs if he caught it

how does the hot route work? does brett tell everyone what to do? do they know already what to do if the heat is on? or are they just suppose to get open ASAP?