PDA

View Full Version : Sportsbubbler dead

KYPack
09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe the title should be "Dead On the Sportsbubbler", I dunno.

As many on here know, PR started after an exodus from the old JSO forum. The JSO then commissioned (or whatever) another independent forum called "SportsBubbler". It staggered on for several years, but finally died of it's own accord a week or so ago.

No fond epitaph here, just thought a few might like to know the Bubbler is dead.

Iron Mike
09-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Kinda sad. :( That's where most of us hooked up, so to speak.

MJZiggy
09-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Kinda sad. :( That's where most of us hooked up, so to speak.

That's what I was thinking. Started thinking about the exodus and the early days here...

KYPack
09-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Anyone who was around for the whole "Lawyer Joe" deal knows how scary one of these forums can get. The Rats are a real family deal in that respect.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
The Rats are a real family deal in that respect.

That'd be great, except why do we have to be a Mexican family?

Freak Out
09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
How in the hell can a large newspaper let its online forums die? Wait.....never mind.

pbmax
09-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Are there many newspapers that run forums? I am assuming you can still comment through a Facebook login on the articles themselves, but an actual forum with threads created by users themselves?

I am sure they see it as both burden and opportunity. They would love to keep all the sports eyeballs to themselves, but really don't want to spend money or time managing it and REALLY don't want to be responsible for its behavior. As they have proven previously.

Fosco33
09-24-2011, 02:42 PM
That's what I was thinking. Started thinking about the exodus and the early days here...

One of the biggest pricks I've never had the pleasure to meet face-face...

Fritz
09-24-2011, 02:59 PM
I was one of those who started on the old JSO forum - it got bad, really bad, at the end. Made the Packerrats stuff look about as rowdy as the Brady Bunch episode where Marsha gets a black eye.

When I found Packerrats, I found a famblee. A dysfunctional family, but still.

Guiness
09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I've been around since the Journal forums as well. They were really good, opened a world of being able to talk intelligently with fellow fans of the Pack. Being geographically challenged, I was introduced to the team during a trip - then arrived home and had no one to talk to about them!

The JSO forums let me find someone who could speak intelligently about important issues, like whether or not Brad Bedell was going to get through the final cut downs!

It was really bad when Lawyer Joe and his pals (real or imagined) showed up. I seem to recall there being a Mr. Blonde as well. IIRC there were a few people who were seriously targeted - I think it was Jack's Smirking Revenge, and another person who still posts here (and probably wishes to remain anonymous).

Don't forget the pit stop we all made at the Christian Encourager, courtesy of UpnorthFan (not the one that is here) on our way to PR!

Guiness
09-24-2011, 03:29 PM
One of the biggest pricks I've never had the pleasure to meet face-face...

Who are you talking about? Lawyer Joe? Did you actually meet him?

Little Whiskey
09-24-2011, 03:32 PM
.......- I think it was Jack's Smirking Revenge, and another person who still posts here (and probably wishes to remain anonymous).

has anybody heard from JSR? I know he left to start his own site (which failed, I think?) he was a good poster here. I would be nice to have him back.

Joemailman
09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Wither Tank?

Pugger
09-24-2011, 04:49 PM
The Sportsbubbler truly became unreadable. It was overrun with political threads and/or trolls. One of the posters on the old bubbler started another forum and that one is not too bad.

MadtownPacker
09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
That'd be great, except why do we have to be a Mexican family?
Because there are so many of us?

Little Whiskey
09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Because there are so many of us?

like cockroaches?

MadtownPacker
09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
like cockroaches?
That you want exterminated?

Little Whiskey
09-24-2011, 05:19 PM
nope. everything has a purpose.

SkinBasket
09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah! Death to the infidels!

There were a couple real cocksuckers left over there who decided to take on a kingly air after most of us left. I would reminisce about meeting nutz there, but it wasn't the same forum, so it doesn't really matter.

Talk about a clusterfuck of mismanagement over at the Journal... State's top paper can't keep a sports forum alive with the Packers as the headliner.

Fosco33
09-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Who are you talking about? Lawyer Joe? Did you actually meet him?

yeah - he was the spoofer as I recall. No - never did have the pleasure.

KYPack
09-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Yeah! Death to the infidels!

There were a couple real cocksuckers left over there who decided to take on a kingly air after most of us left. I would reminisce about meeting nutz there, but it wasn't the same forum, so it doesn't really matter.

Talk about a clusterfuck of mismanagement over at the Journal... State's top paper can't keep a sports forum alive with the Packers as the headliner.

Those lads were total fuck-ups. The forum was actually done 6 months ago. They re-assiged the mod to another job and terminated the forum, but forgot to shut it down! So it staggered along, like a blind queer at a wienie roast. It ambled thru cyberspace, unmoderated and out of control, but stumbling along. It got over-run with trolls and goofy political posters. Worst Packer Forum I'e ever seen. Worse even than the old alt.profootball.packer usenet forum. Sportsbubbler finally figured out it was still out there and pulled the pin 10 days ago.

Tank? He went down with the ship. He'll be here. With a phony ID & IP or something. You know, the usual Tank drill. He's worse now than ever. Totally detached from reality

That will be funny when he shows up.

swede
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Those lads were total fuck-ups. The forum was actually done 6 months ago. They re-assiged the mod to another job and terminated the forum, but forgot to shut it down! So it staggered along, like a blind queer at a wienie roast. It ambled thru cyberspace, unmoderated and out of control, but stumbling along. It got over-run with trolls and goofy political posters. Worst Packer Forum I'e ever seen. Worse even than the old alt.profootball.packer usenet forum. Sportsbubbler finally figured out it was still out there and pulled the pin 10 days ago.

Tank? He went down with the ship. He'll be here. With a phony ID & IP or something. You know, the usual Tank drill. He's worse now than ever. Totally detached from reality

That is a funny story, KY. Well-spun. Thanks.

The Christian Encourager was a great chapter in Rat life. Was it Nutz that went on a mission to get banned? It really felt like we were meeting in the back room of a church getting scolded constantly for inappropriate language.

It made home feel so much nicer when we finally moved in here, knowing that there was a place for Rats.

mraynrand
09-24-2011, 07:57 PM

QFT. They were so disabled that their solution to any problem was to kill it.

swede
09-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Rats don't die easy!

MJZiggy
09-24-2011, 08:06 PM

The Christian Encourager was a great chapter in Rat life. Was it Nutz that went on a mission to get banned? It really felt like we were meeting in the back room of a church getting scolded constantly for inappropriate language.

It made home feel so much nicer when we finally moved in here, knowing that there was a place for Rats.

I thought it was Skin and his new friend Tony...

swede
09-24-2011, 08:24 PM
TMurph? That guy was working blue material.

MJZiggy
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM

No, Tony the pubic louse. Drove UNF nuts.

Freak Out
09-24-2011, 10:26 PM
The Encourager....fuck.....I could only take it for a day or two. I thought Tex had a role in that place?

Freak Out
09-24-2011, 10:27 PM

I fondly remember the Nutz and Murphy show.

Joemailman
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm sort of feeling like someone who had terrible parents which eventually caused me to leave home. Even though I had almost no contact with them over he years, I still felt bad when I heard they passed away. Weird, I know.

Our FYI Forum is named after the thread that started all the political talk at JSO. Who was that guy who started the thread which I think was about the Lions signing someone in FA. Somehow the subjecxt turned to global warming or something, and the rest is history.

Joemailman
09-24-2011, 10:36 PM

I left CE after a couple of weeks because I felt uncomfortable with the fact that we were invited there and then broke all the house rules. I guess I'm not a very good party crasher.

KYPack
09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I left CE after a couple of weeks because I felt uncomfortable with the fact that we were invited there and then broke all the house rules. I guess I'm not a very good party crasher.

I couldn't hang in there either. The kiddie religioso types were claiming damage to their virgin psyches when sombody would post poo-poo, or something like that.

Then came Nutz and Murph and Holy Moly, there was big trouble in cyber city.

Bretsky
09-25-2011, 12:01 AM
With the Bubbler gone where will cpk and tank go ?

Joemailman
09-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Beware of extremely argumentative new members. And don't forget Pacopete!

MJZiggy
09-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Anywhere but here...

Fritz
09-25-2011, 08:33 AM
"So it staggered along, like a blind queer at a wienie roast."

KY, I laughed out loud - for real - when I read that line. It's gonna be my new sig line! Bye-bye, Jenn Sterger quote!

pbmax
09-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Worse even than the old alt.profootball.packer usenet forum.

Holy crap KY, we are old. I didn't read that particular group, but just the mention of it reminds of all the other threads I used to read.

I could almost take Tank/APB again. Would love to read an article by him describing the various ways the Polar Bear has prevented multiple Super Bowls by being incompetent. Not sure about long term viability though.

pacopete and cpk would be too much to bear.

Iron Mike
09-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Worse even than the old alt.profootball.packer usenet forum.

Holy crap KY, we are old. I didn't read that particular group, but just the mention of it reminds of all the other threads I used to read.

And where were the rest of you in 2003, when I was single-handedly telling the Bucs' fans that they would flame out after their one Super-Bowl win on Pro Football Weekly's forum??? Nobody had my back, and I had to beat down Bears' fans all by myself!!! :(

pbmax
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM
And where were the rest of you in 2003, when I was single-handedly telling the Bucs' fans that they would flame out after their one Super-Bowl win on Pro Football Weekly's forum??? Nobody had my back, and I had to beat down Bears' fans all by myself!!! :(

It's all right Mike, you can forgive yourself. All those things you did were just necessary to survive. :D

It's over now.

KYPack
09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
"So it staggered along, like a blind queer at a wienie roast."

KY, I laughed out loud - for real - when I read that line. It's gonna be my new sig line! Bye-bye, Jenn Sterger quote!

That ain't my line. It belongs to my dad's old boss. Wisconsin contruction bosses tend to be profane. There's more to it. "That sonofabitch is about as useless as a blind queer at a weinie roast" would be the full quote, IIRC. You could throw a few "fucks" in there to make more authentic, if ya want. Old Faye would.

Back in the day when the ships were wood and the men were iron.

Iron Mike
09-25-2011, 09:23 AM
That ain't my line. It belongs to my dad's old boss. Wisconsin construction bosses tend to be profane. There's more to it. "That sonofabitch is about as worthless as tits on a boar hog" would be the full quote, IIRC.

Fixed. :)

Iron Mike
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I could almost take Tank/APB again. Would love to read an article by him describing the various ways the Polar Bear has prevented multiple Super Bowls by being incompetent. Not sure about long term viability though.

I'd be willing to bet the number of "Ted's Trapped In The Closet, Pt. ##" threads would be about equal to the number of "Tank's Sure-Fire #1 Round Draft Pick Flames Out" threads. Just sayin'. :-P

pbmax
09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd be willing to bet the number of "Ted's Trapped In The Closet, Pt. ##" threads would be about equal to the number of "Tank's Sure-Fire #1 Round Draft Pick Flames Out" threads. Just sayin'. :-P

Yes, look at the money Logan Mankins just got paid. He is a sure fire Super Bowl accessory.

esoxx
09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
And Trey Wingnut, where will he go?

red
09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
none of you assholes ever told me you were going to SB when the exodus came, actually i might have left a few days before the exodus. but i ended up at chatters instead for a couple of years before i found all you clowns back together here

i'm still bitter and hold a grudge against all you

sheepshead
09-25-2011, 11:04 AM
God, I havent been there in years. Is the Truth still there? That cat was scary.

Pugger
09-25-2011, 11:09 AM
The Truth? That bozo along with tinkerbelle (tank) and little john were still there along with a couple of annoying as hell queen trolls.

SkinBasket
09-25-2011, 11:41 AM

LOL. I remember we were explicitly told to be ourselves, and then it took exactly two posts for me to shut down the entire site for a couple hours. There was some confusion about Tony, as Ziggy points out, and his place at CE.

Guiness
09-25-2011, 12:40 PM
That ain't my line. It belongs to my dad's old boss. Wisconsin contruction bosses tend to be profane. There's more to it. "That sonofabitch is about as useless as a blind queer at a weinie roast" would be the full quote, IIRC. You could throw a few "fucks" in there to make more authentic, if ya want. Old Faye would.

Back in the day when the ships were wood and the men were iron.

My brother's line is similar and quite good as well! "He's shaking like a queer at a wienie roast"

Pack-man
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Wasn't just the Packer forum at the end. The Brewer forum was horrible too. One moron completely derailed the Brewer forum. Thats why the new forum Badger State Sports was started.

The new forum is pretty good. Moderated to keep the trolls & politics out!

SkinBasket
09-28-2011, 11:41 AM

I would say. It's so well moderated that there are 0 posts and 0 replies in the packer section. I guess that's one way to keep the trolls and politics out.

Pack-man
09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I would say. It's so well moderated that there are 0 posts and 0 replies in the packer section. I guess that's one way to keep the trolls and politics out.

??? don't know what you looking at.

http://badgerstatesports.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

AtlPackFan
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
The Truth? That bozo along with tinkerbelle (tank) and little john were still there along with a couple of annoying as hell queen trolls.

That reminds me...not that he was a troll but he was a Vikings fan. Whatever happened to Rastak? Anyone know? Good guy. I think the whole "he who shall not be named" (former Packer/Jets/Vikqueen QB who is into texting) stuff drove him away.

SkinBasket
09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
??? don't know what you looking at.

http://badgerstatesports.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Oh, I went here: http://badgerstatesports.com

I don't trust .net domains. They're full of nerds.

Scott Campbell
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM

You can't say "Nazi" over there. You can say "Nazi" right here at PackerRats.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Murphy and I had the "Nutz and Boltz Show" but Murphy flaked out after he moved to Southeastern Wisconsin. He might have logged on to PR once or twice, but needless to say the relationship fell apart. I am now saddled with the Skinbasket.

pbmax
09-28-2011, 06:15 PM
That reminds me...not that he was a troll but he was a Vikings fan. Whatever happened to Rastak? Anyone know? Good guy. I think the whole "he who shall not be named" (former Packer/Jets/Vikqueen QB who is into texting) stuff drove him away.

Rastak got into a tiff with a few over the Official Favre thread during the Favre as Vikings year and at a certain point I think he stopped coming by. Its too bad because he was on the receiving end of most of it. There may have been other reasons, but that was I thought at the time.

Freak Out
09-28-2011, 06:49 PM
You can't say "Nazi" over there. You can say "Nazi" right here at PackerRats.

Nothing like a Banned and Warning thread to start things off.

Partial
09-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Rastak got into a tiff with a few over the Official Favre thread during the Favre as Vikings year and at a certain point I think he stopped coming by. Its too bad because he was on the receiving end of most of it. There may have been other reasons, but that was I thought at the time.

That stinks. Ras was a good poster and a cool guy. His draft stuff was fantastic.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2011, 08:34 PM
You know what stinks? A tampon lodged in a womans vagina for more than 3 weeks. That stinks.

Little Whiskey
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
That ain't my line. It belongs to my dad's old boss. Wisconsin contruction bosses tend to be profane. There's more to it. "That sonofabitch is about as worthless as tits on a boar hog" would be the full quote, IIRC. .

Fixed. :)

"useless as a ten inch dick on a tit-mouse"

MJZiggy
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
You know what stinks? A tampon lodged in a womans vagina for more than 3 weeks. That stinks.

You know this from personal experience?

Joemailman
09-29-2011, 05:51 PM
You really want to know how he knows?

MJZiggy
09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
You really want to know how he knows?Ew. No, thanks.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I tell you what, if I could smell something bad and it was my best friend's girlfriend's tampon lodged in her vagina, then you know it was a problem of serious stink. And I wasn't oodeling her vag and she had her pants on.

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Goddammit. So much for lunch. Blech.

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Goddammit. So much for lunch. Blech.

Must..resist...tactless...joke....

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Must..resist...tactless...joke....

Resistance appreciated. (unless it was truly funny)