PDA

View Full Version : Game day discussions - a report!

Patler
08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
For what its worth:

Some expressed concern here and elsewhere that Packerrats had insufficient membership for good discussions when games started. So I looked at the "official game day threads" at various sites:

PackersNews.com - started a new forum today, Monday August 14. It was a clean break from the old forum. No discussions or accounts were carried over. Sorry, I should have checked last night!

Packerchatters - couldn't find an "official" thread but one at game time had 137 comments and 9,117 views.

JSOnline - 113 comments and 3,450 views

Packerrats - 569 comments and 6,223 views.

Packerchatters had 1 erply for every 66 views.
JSonline had 1 reply for every 30 views.
Packerrats had 1 reply for every 11 views.

Packerrats had 5 times as many replies as JSO and 1.8 times as many views. Packerrats had 4.2 times as many replies as Packerchatters, but only a bit more than 2/3 as many views.

As I have said before, different sites offer different things, and I read and contribute at several. But after one preseason game indications are that the place to debate and discuss is here, you will lecture at other sites.

chewy-bacca
08-14-2006, 03:58 PM
as I recall, the packersnews "offical game day" topic started around 6PM est....the one in here had 3 or 4 pages by then.

After about a week, I think I like it here best.

PTPaQ
08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Out of all of the places I've been, I have to say PackerRats and PackerChatters are by far the best/my favorite...As far as the people go, the discussions, debates, team info, articles, etc, it doesnt get much better.

The ESPN Packer forum on the other hand...What a wreck. :shock:

p'c

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I guess thats why they call you stat rat, good research.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Stat Man - Zoom's into the Zone - with "the facts".

Good job Patler. :mrgreen:

Willard
08-14-2006, 07:29 PM
And only PackerRats had a 13 year-old slurping down the Smirnoff to ease his pain while following the game on Gamecenter.

Perhaps we can organize some sort of online intervention?

MadtownPacker
08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Hahah, thats some sick stats Patler!!!

Glad to know the place isn't going out of business. :cool:

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Hahah, thats some sick stats Patler!!!

Glad to know the place isn't going out of business. :cool:

Thank You Mad. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

FavreChild
08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
The stats don't lie. And neither does Patler. :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
08-14-2006, 08:38 PM
No Woody!!!

Thank YOU and ALL the great posters who love the Packers! Out here in Cali I dont get any news about the G&G besides the ESPN garbage and you know how that goes.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 08:59 PM
No Woody!!!

Thank YOU and ALL the great posters who love the Packers! Out here in Cali I dont get any news about the G&G besides the ESPN garbage and you know how that goes.

Your a humble Man. That's nice but . . .

The fact remains - you gave us a HOME and worked with other's here, to give us members a place where we feel more at PEACE as Packer fans.

I believe we are grateful for that Mad.

Now !! Send my DAM check in the mail Sir. PLEASE. :mrgreen: jk

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I've got it!! Patler, you've said that you are not TT and that you do not work for the Packers. That's it!!! You must be Ron Wolf!!! :mrgreen: :cool: :lol:

You do have an amazing talent for the numbers. Not even so much the display as anyone can google and come up with some of those, but you do dig down into them and have a great talent for figuring out what they really mean. And in this case, they mean PR is pretty amazing.

BallHawk
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
And only PackerRats had a 13 year-old slurping down the Smirnoff to ease his pain while following the game on Gamecenter.

HAHA! :mrgreen: I'm seriously considering changing my rat name to Smirnoff Rat. What do you guys think?

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
I've got it!! Patler, you've said that you are not TT and that you do not work for the Packers. That's it!!! You must be Ron Wolf!!! :mrgreen: :cool: :lol:

You do have an amazing talent for the numbers. Not even so much the display as anyone can google and come up with some of those, but you do dig down into them and have a great talent for figuring out what they really mean. And in this case, they mean PR is pretty amazing.

Maybe he's Ted "Ron Wolf" Thompson?

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm seriously considering changing my name to Smirnoff Rat. What do you guys think.

How about " the kool aid " Rat - with a twist ? :mrgreen:

BallHawk
08-14-2006, 09:33 PM
How about " the kool aid " Rat - with a twist ? :mrgreen:

Woodbuck, it's a coincidence you say twist 'cuz thats the drink that I have. Smirnoff Twisted. Here's how I rate them.

1. Rasberry. That's the good one. It's got a very nice taste and clean finish. Not very filling either. This is the one I had on gamenight.

2. Wild Grape. My Dad was at the store today so he picked a pack of these up. The flavor is a bit overbearing and it tastes almost like Juicy Juice. Very smooth, though.

3. Watermelon- Bland. Very bland.

4. Green Apple- Tart.

5. Mandarin Orange- Triple Sec kicks the shit out of this. Especially in a Cosmo.

6. Black Cherry- Do you like Benadryl? If you do, you'll love this.

There's also Smirnoff Ice, which is pretty good, but needs more flavor. There's also Triple Black, which is really good.

Smirnoff Ice and Smirnoff Twisted. The best shit that you can drink without seriously fucking up your brain cells and liver. CHEERS! :mrgreen:

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Awesome you are a Packer fan.

And I respect your football knowledge, and I think you may be the youngest person I've ever admitted that about.

But drinking at your age is not cool and I honestly feel that. Not going to go into any kind of lecture cause it's not my place, but if I ever catch my son/daughter consuming any alcohol near that age I'll be building a permanent jail cell in the basement (it's big enough) and they'll be paying a dear price for their decisions.

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, I agree, Bretsky.

Ballhawk, there's plenty of time to drink once you get out of high school. Enjoy the kid stuff now--because you are going to miss it when you get older. I've seen too many of my friends waste their lives because of alcohol and/or drugs. What starts out as a little something that you think you can control turns into a crutch and a life-long problem.

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
A few drinks on game night with Dad is a far cry from alcoholism and drug abuse.

There aren't many subjects on which I agree with the French, but in this case, I believe---as they do---that this country is way too conservative about alcohol. We make it a forbidden fruit, so people don't learn to enjoy it responsibly while young. Most people's first exposure is at some unsupervised high school or college party, where they abuse it from the get go, and those who fail to unlearn that habit will have lifelong problems.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Was it a few drinks with Dad? He's tried every Smirnoff drink out there. I missed the post where he said it was a occasional drink with Dad. At age 13?

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Of course, I don't know for sure ... but I doubt he tried them all on the same night.

He mentioned his dad buying the drinks, so I am guessing his dad is involved. In some families, a teenage kid is allowed to have a drink with dinner, or with Dad while watching the game. Happened in my case, and I turned out fine. Thirteen is a bit on the young side, I suppose, but a parent can judge his/her own child's maturity level. Ballhawk seems pretty mature for a young teenager, so I give his Dad the benefit of the doubt.

It's my belief that we manufacture our own problems with alcohol in this country by making it a taboo and modeling only bad behavior. If teenagers learn about it at home from responsible adults, and learn that you don't need to get drunk and stupid in order to enjoy it, they might never get to the point where they abuse it.

However, if their first and only exposure is running behind parents' backs and getting smashed at clandestine parties, then that may be all they know how to do.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Ballhawk might be filching booze from his parents and getting hammered. If that is the case, then there is a problem.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Well, I agree, Bretsky.

Ballhawk, there's plenty of time to drink once you get out of high school. Enjoy the kid stuff now--because you are going to miss it when you get older. I've seen too many of my friends waste their lives because of alcohol and/or drugs. What starts out as a little something that you think you can control turns into a crutch and a life-long problem.

I concur.....of course should you listen to a guy who had about 14 beers Sat night? Seriously, I'd drop the booze for now. I mean it.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2006, 11:11 PM

And I respect your football knowledge, and I think you may be the youngest person I've ever admitted that about.

But drinking at your age is not cool and I honestly feel that. Not going to go into any kind of lecture cause it's not my place, but if I ever catch my son/daughter consuming any alcohol near that age I'll be building a permanent jail cell in the basement (it's big enough) and they'll be paying a dear price for their decisions.

Cheers,
B

When are going to get that son of yours? Maybe you can get a nice little boy from China or Korea. Ever thought of that?

GrnBay007
08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I agree, Bretsky.

I concur.....of course should you listen to a guy who had about 14 beers Sat night? Seriously, I'd drop the booze for now. I mean it.

Yeah Rastak, it's because of you and the boys out boozin on Sat. night that the stats weren't better for Packer Rats in the game thread....lol :wink: :razz:

Glad u guys had a good time!!

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 11:30 PM

Cheers,
B

When are going to get that son of yours? Maybe you can get a nice little boy from China or Korea. Ever thought of that?

On those Soap Operas they have baby swappings all the time; wonder how easy that would be ?

Wife bought a book about increasing your odds of making a boy; haven't read it yet though.

Those chick swimmers of mine are just too dam fast; Olympic racers they are !

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Of course, I don't know for sure ... but I doubt he tried them all on the same night.

He mentioned his dad buying the drinks, so I am guessing his dad is involved. In some families, a teenage kid is allowed to have a drink with dinner, or with Dad while watching the game. Happened in my case, and I turned out fine. Thirteen is a bit on the young side, I suppose, but a parent can judge his/her own child's maturity level. Ballhawk seems pretty mature for a young teenager, so I give his Dad the benefit of the doubt.

It's my belief that we manufacture our own problems with alcohol in this country by making it a taboo and modeling only bad behavior. If teenagers learn about it at home from responsible adults, and learn that you don't need to get drunk and stupid in order to enjoy it, they might never get to the point where they abuse it.

However, if their first and only exposure is running behind parents' backs and getting smashed at clandestine parties, then that may be all they know how to do.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Ballhawk might be filching booze from his parents and getting hammered. If that is the case, then there is a problem.

I've never read a reference to having any sort of permission so I'm basing my judgement off of what I know.

Willard
08-15-2006, 03:14 AM

Patler
08-15-2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks MJZ! :D

I enjoy looking at the numbers and trying to attach meaning to them.
Maybe these aren't things I should admit to???? :?: :roll:

Rastak
08-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Well, I agree, Bretsky.

Yeah Rastak, it's because of you and the boys out boozin on Sat. night that the stats weren't better for Packer Rats in the game thread....lol :wink: :razz:

Glad u guys had a good time!!

That's true.....

BallHawk
08-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I've tried those over the course of about a year and never drink them more than once a week. I had one yesterday because it was my Parents Aniversery. I agree I came across as a chronic drinker in that post, but truth is I'm not. I see some kids at our school and they are just totally fucked up, drinking every night, smoking weed and shit, and I know just to stay away from that. You also see some kids that sneak in bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade into school in their backpacks and then drink it in the bathrooms. That's truley just pathetic. Thank you Bretsky and Harv for you words of advice and I shall keep them in mind. But believe me when I say, I will never turn out some High-School drop out because of alcohol. No way in hell I'm ever gonna fuck up my chances of getting a scholarship into UW-Madison. So once again everyone, thanks for you words of advice.

BallHawk
08-15-2006, 07:15 AM
And just to clarify something I NEVER drink without my parents permission. And I agree with you Idle with your statement. If a parent exposes their kid to alcohol on a limited basis, that child will be less inclined to drink. A lot of the problem with Teenage Drinking is the teens want the risk involved. They get a rush from drinking behind their parents back. My Dad's taught me as well as anyone, my grandad liver is completely wrecked from drinking and his cousin died in a car crash when he was drunk and driving. If you let your kid try it, then when someone at school ask them to come to a party to drink alcohol, it is more likely they will say no. Also when alcohol is around there is usually other bad stuff there, too.

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I actually like your dad's thinking there, though in our family we usually start them out a little later with sweet wine. There were some very wise words an old teacher of mine once said. He was the coolest teacher around and let the kids call him by his first name and everyone hung out in his classroom after school. Anyway, one day the subject of drinking came up and he said he didn't drink. The kids all figured he was recovering and he said no. He said (and I will never forget this) that when he drinks he doesn't feel like he's in control and he doesn't like the feeling of not having control. I never forgot that and the one or two times in my life I had too much, I could totally relate to what he said. I agree. I hate feeling like I'm not in control of myself.

GBRulz
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Now a days it's nothing for 12 and 13 year olds to be out boozing it up at parties. I have several friends with kids and the stuff they tell me that kids do at these young ages just blows my mind.

They also have the mindset that oral sex is fine. In fact, there is a MIDDLE school here in GB having several problems with that. Video camera's catching kids in the act.

Kids grow up so fast these days it seems.

and my last vent.... some stupid Wal-mart Back to School commercial where a Dad comes home with cell phone for his kids. The kids looked about 12 and 8 years old. WTF do kids need cell phones for?

GBRulz
08-15-2006, 09:40 AM
For what its worth:

Some expressed concern here and elsewhere that Packerrats had insufficient membership for good discussions when games started. So I looked at the "official game day threads" at various sites:

PackersNews.com - started a new forum today, Monday August 14. It was a clean break from the old forum. No discussions or accounts were carried over. Sorry, I should have checked last night!

Packerchatters - couldn't find an "official" thread but one at game time had 137 comments and 9,117 views.

JSOnline - 113 comments and 3,450 views

Packerrats - 569 comments and 6,223 views.

Packerchatters had 1 erply for every 66 views.
JSonline had 1 reply for every 30 views.
Packerrats had 1 reply for every 11 views.

Packerrats had 5 times as many replies as JSO and 1.8 times as many views. Packerrats had 4.2 times as many replies as Packerchatters, but only a bit more than 2/3 as many views.

As I have said before, different sites offer different things, and I read and contribute at several. But after one preseason game indications are that the place to debate and discuss is here, you will lecture at other sites.

NICE work, Patler. I am impressed....as always!!!

Partial
08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Now a days it's nothing for 12 and 13 year olds to be out boozing it up at parties. I have several friends with kids and the stuff they tell me that kids do at these young ages just blows my mind.

They also have the mindset that oral sex is fine. In fact, there is a MIDDLE school here in GB having several problems with that. Video camera's catching kids in the act.

Kids grow up so fast these days it seems.

and my last vent.... some stupid Wal-mart Back to School commercial where a Dad comes home with cell phone for his kids. The kids looked about 12 and 8 years old. WTF do kids need cell phones for?

quoted so people can read it twice.

sepporepi
08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Ah alocohol this is a topic I can contribute a lot :mrgreen:

Coming from germany I always wondered what the problem with alcohol in the states.
Correct me if i am wrong:
In most states you can drive a car with 16, but drink/buy alcohol legalally
with 18 or even 21. By the way it is the same age you can buy guns?

In my opinion this is exactly the wrong order.In germany we are allowed to buy beer an wine with 16 and everything else with 18, which is also the age you can get your drivers license.

So most guys make their first impressions with alcohol with 14 or 15 and "regular" weekend drinkings start with 15/16 in most cases.

When you finally get your drivers license you know what alcohol can do to
you, especially if you try using a vehicle :smile:.
But you explore this with a bike not a car :roll:.

So I had a lot minor accidents while drving my bike drunk. I lived in a small village and most of the way to/from a party was on little roads forbidden for cars. But nothing serious happend. One thing was and is always clear to me: never drive a car while drunk. Because I know what can happen on a bike, I always could imagine what trying to drive a car can cause.

And moreover the fascination of alcohol did not last long. Ok maybe 10 years :mrgreen: , but now I am 29 and the last 4 or 5 years I started to drink less and less. Not because I tried to or forced me to, it is more a "I have seen and tried it all"-feeling.

So starting (legally) early to drink, leads in most cases to drinking less as live goes on. At least this is my impression.

GrnBay007
08-15-2006, 01:56 PM

I used to feel the same way about cell phones until my kids started walking home from school. I got one of those cheap trak phones for my daughter and she's been very responsible with it. I just feel a lot better knowing they have a way to contact me if there's a problem.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Interesting story, sepporepi. Welcome! That being said, I think it's best for a 13-year-old living in the USA now to leave the alcohol alone. I think the drinking age should be lowered. (I personally think anybody who has graduated from high school should be allowed to drink--especially if they can serve their country). However, I'm not so sure that it's the wrong order. I think I'd rather have a 15-year-old allowed to drive a car to school over being allowed to drink after school.
:D

Noodle
08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Agree with you Harv on the order of things, though to be honest, I'm now getting so old that it freaks me out to see 16 year-old "babies" behind the wheel.

As to the topic at hand, I was active early on the game day thread and thought it was exceptional. The only problem was that stuff was getting posted so fast, it was hard to keep a discussion topic going. ND and PB were good at maintaining some coherent topics, but I'm afraid my posts were of the more reactive, "WTF ARE WE DOING?!?" variety.

I'll try to raise the level of my game.

Partial
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Agree with you Harv on the order of things, though to be honest, I'm now getting so old that it freaks me out to see 16 year-old "babies" behind the wheel.

As to the topic at hand, I was active early on the game day thread and thought it was exceptional. The only problem was that stuff was getting posted so fast, it was hard to keep a discussion topic going. ND and PB were good at maintaining some coherent topics, but I'm afraid my posts were of the more reactive, "WTF ARE WE DOING?!?" variety.

I'll try to raise the level of my game.

Mine too. This time, I will put a message at the start to have more detailed posts so we can tell "WTF r they dewing" the next morning :lol:

BallHawk
08-15-2006, 04:08 PM

It's the same here. I'm in 8th so It's not that big, but in 9th it is. It's the thinking "Well oral sex, isn't really sex." A lot of this is these girls trying to act out like these girls on TV or their own sisters. That's like I was saying earlier. There'll be a party. There will be alcohol. People will get stupid and consequences will happen.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that a sober 16 year old in a car is more dangerous than a 16 year old that is drunk, without a car? What's a 16 year old gonna do when he's drunk without a car? Break a window, crash his bike? A 16 year old with a car is more likely to try and be a show-off and crash into someone else. Hell, yestreday we almost smashed head-on into some dick who was trying to show off to his friends. My grandad's always said to me that a car is a gun. It'd be safer to higher the driving age to 18 and lower the drinking age to 16 or 18. I'm not saying they SHOULD do that, but'd it be safer.