PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here anything about Bulaga? Im worried.

gbpackfan
09-25-2011, 06:54 PM
This has the look of another season ender. Anyone hear anything?

At least Newhouse played well.

Joemailman
09-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Probably won't know anything definitive until tomorrow. I imagine it will require an MRI.

Lurker64
09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
We won't have any concrete information before tomorrow at 3PM.

Best case scenario: Misses a few weeks.
Worst case scenario: IR.

Teamcheez1
09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I'll be honest, it didn't really look that bad, but you never know.

After all, Neal simply fell down and has been out for weeks.

gbgary
09-25-2011, 07:09 PM
looked like an ankle when it happend, had ice on the knee, walked off under his own power. i'm guessing he's ok but will be out for a few (three or four) weeks. when i say ok i mean no surgery, just a sprain.

Lurker64
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Per MM: Bulaga has a "knee bruise." (multiple sources)

Per Rob Demovsky: two members of the training staff said that Bulaga did *not* tear an ACL.

gbpackfan
09-25-2011, 07:42 PM
rotoworld.com also saying it is a knee bruise. I dont know if I believe it yet, they way Neal and Collins' injuries ended up.

Head coach Mike McCarthy said after Sunday's Week 3 game that RT Brian Bulaga suffered a bruised knee.
Great news, as the hulking right tackle dropped to the ground early in the game in clear pain, and needed help off the field. He did not return, and Marshall Newhouse did an admirable job as his replacement. With rookie Derek Sherrod struggling to adjust to life in the NFL, the Packers will be hoping Bulaga can suit up in Week 4 against a dangerous Denver pass rush.

Pugger
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Per Rob Demovsky: two members of the training staff said that Bulaga did *not* tear an ACL.

If this is true, then thank goodness. I will say Newhouse played pretty well.

sheepshead
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Out with Bear fans today and they are jealous of many things but our depth is near the top of the list.

red
09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
not to be a downer, but didn't fin have a "bruised knee" last year?

Lurker64
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
If we're going to have an injury on the OL, we're lucky that it was a tackle. We're SOL if we lose Wells, Lang, or Sitton but we can get by with Newhouse at one of the tackle spots for a few weeks if need be.

Iron Mike
09-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Out with Bear fans today and they are jealous of many things but our depth is near the top of the list.

You know what happens to that team if Urlacher goes down, right???

MJZiggy
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
You know what happens to that team if Urlacher goes down, right???

Lovie gets fired.

gbgary
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM

bite your tongue!

gbgary
09-25-2011, 08:27 PM

acl was the last thing i thought about here. not the kind of impact that does in an acl.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2011, 08:40 PM

Same with Mike Neal. Personally, I'm worried. You usually get a bruised knee when something actually hits your knee. To me, it looked like Bulaga was hit in the lower part of the leg and his knee buckled.

mraynrand
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
The mechanism makes me think lateral collateral ligament tear.

(out 6-10 weeks)

pbmax
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Yep, I with the conspiracy theorists here. Its not simply a knee bruise or he would have come back in.

gbgary
09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
The mechanism makes me think lateral collateral ligament tear.

(out 6-10 weeks)

Yep, I with the conspiracy theorists here. Its not simply a knee bruise or he would have come back in.

yup, lcl tear or sprain, maybe meniscus tear.

pbmax
09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
M3 has nearly gone Pravda on us, it might be called a bruise since there is fluid where there shouldn't be. But he isn't saying its blood or that its located in muscle tissue.

rbaloha1
09-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Thank goodness its only a "knee bruise." +1 on Newhouse -- what a huge improvement from preseason.

mraynrand
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Thank goodness its only a "knee bruise." +1 on Newhouse -- what a huge improvement from preseason.

Nobody ate Newhouse's lunch. Dude acquitted himself well.

Joemailman
09-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't think Bulaga would have walked to the locker room if he tore something.

mraynrand
09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think Bulaga would have walked to the locker room if he tore something.

LCL de-stabilizes the knee, but you can still walk on it. Two things make me worried - the knee joint got bent inward, which would stretch that thing pretty far, and Bulaga's reaction looks just like the kind you make when you feel that 'pop' when the ligament goes.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Bulaga out for a few weeks worries me but not so much as Collins or any one of a half dozen other injuries waiting to happen. McDonald played well.....he may have been the only one on our O-line without a penalty unless I missed it.

Little Whiskey
09-25-2011, 09:28 PM
didn't Tausch or Clifton play a season with knee ligament damage?

pbmax
09-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Bulaga out for a few weeks worries me but not so much as Collins or any one of a half dozen other injuries waiting to happen. McDonald played well.....he may have been the only one on our O-line without a penalty unless I missed it.

Newhouse, McDonald was released and went to New England practice squad.

mraynrand
09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I looked again and that angle isn't quite as bad as I originally remembered. Grade one baby - couple of weeks. I'm keeping hope alive.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Newhouse, McDonald was released and went to New England practice squad.

Oops, brain cramp. Probably explains why I didn't hear any penalties called on him! Thanks.

smuggler
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
McDonald was cut from the NE practice squad. So he's a FA if we want him.

Lurker64
09-26-2011, 12:08 AM

He's also an interior OL, not a tackle. Backup tackles we've got (Sherrod and Newhouse). Backup interior OL, well that's dicey.

vince
09-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Didn't see the play but you guys don't inspire confidence. I'm fully prepared to eat some crow about Newhouse, but I'd have preferred to wait a while to do that and see Bulaga holding down the RT spot healthy for awhile longer - like a decade or so.
'

vince
09-26-2011, 12:30 AM
All practice squad players in the league are essentially free agents able to be signed, but McDonald was re-signed back to the Patriots PS the day after they cut him from the PS I believe.

SkinBasket
09-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Looked like his ankle was rolled on, and that stretched his knee. Hard to believe it's a bruise of any sort. Newhouse looked okay. Was left standing around looking for something to do a few times, but wasn't made a fool of like some of our other recent OL prospects.

KYPack
09-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Looked like his ankle was rolled on, and that stretched his knee. Hard to believe it's a bruise of any sort. Newhouse looked okay. Was left standing around looking for something to do a few times, but wasn't made a fool of like some of our other recent OL prospects.

Yeah, Skin. That was a classic roll-up. That Toeina cat really came in low on the ankle. There seems to be a fad in Packerville to call knee injuries "bruises". It calms the fans down, I guess. Finley, Neal, now Bulaga, all have had bruises that seem to last weeks or the whole season.

Cheesehead Craig
09-26-2011, 09:36 AM
This will at least get Sherrod in on more reps in practice which he really needs.

CaliforniaCheez
09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
1) Continue to pray for the kid. (Youngest player to ever start a Superbowl)

2) If there is pain it may not be as bad. Sometimes a complete tear doesn't hurt so much.

3) The Falcons are the best team coming up before the bye (Broncos, Falcons, Rams, viklings, bye week) the next 5 weeks are not too bad to miss.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, Skin. That was a classic roll-up. That Toeina cat really came in low on the ankle. There seems to be a fad in Packerville to call knee injuries "bruises". It calms the fans down, I guess. Finley, Neal, now Bulaga, all have had bruises that seem to last weeks or the whole season.

I'm hoping to hear that Nick Collins just has a neck bruise.

sheepshead
09-26-2011, 10:47 AM
1) Continue to pray for the kid. (Youngest player to ever start a Superbowl)

2) If there is pain it may not be as bad. Sometimes a complete tear doesn't hurt so much.

3) The Falcons are the best team coming up before the bye (Broncos, Falcons, Rams, viklings, bye week) the next 5 weeks are not too bad to miss.

My son went to HS with him. Great kid, great family.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
My son went to HS

First one in the Sheepshead family tree?

red
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
First one in the Sheepshead family tree?

a tree that has no branches

sheepshead
09-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, wish someone would finish. Dang thats tough.

hoosier
09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Ouch. Kids are brutal.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Blog from MM PC:

:49
Tom Silverstein: Welcome everybody. Mike McCarthy's press conference will begin about 3 p.m. We'll bring you the highlights here.
3:03

TomSilverstein: McCarthy; Bulaga has knee sprain and bruise, Grant has a kidney bruise and Brad Jones a hamstring strain [via Twitter]

TomSilverstein: New from JS: Live blog: McCarthy's Monday press conference http://bit.ly/n6pXSu #packers [via Twitter]

TomSilverstein: MM: Will know more at mid-week on Bulaga. Hopefully better handle then. But doesn't know if he'll play Sunday against Carolina. [via Twitter]

3:04

TomSilverstein: MM: Same with Grant. Will know more Sunday. [via Twitter]

Fritz
09-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Brad Jones has a hamstring strain? Did he do that lugging the post-game meal into the locker room?

I'm less worried about whether Bulaga's going to play this week than I am if he's going to play at all for the next eight weeks. How bad does it look, guys?

The Packers are getting skimpier and skimpier about giving injury info out. This is like an NHL team: "He has a lower body thingy."

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:17 PM
M3 said the doctors will know more Wednesday after all the scans are back. Which is a stall, but he did say McKenzie told him after the game they may have dodged a bullet.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Sounds like they know it's not a tear, but don't know the severity of the sprain.

Packers4Glory
09-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Inside info....But he could have played in the 2nd half but since Newhouse was performing well they saw no reason to risk it.

hoosier
09-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Blog from MM PC:

:49
Tom Silverstein: Welcome everybody. Mike McCarthy's press conference will begin about 3 p.m. We'll bring you the highlights here.

TomSilverstein: McCarthy; Bulaga has knee sprain and bruise, Grant has a kidney bruise and Brad Jones a hamstring strain [via Twitter]

TomSilverstein: New from JS: Live blog: McCarthy's Monday press conference http://bit.ly/n6pXSu #packers [via Twitter]

TomSilverstein: MM: Will know more at mid-week on Bulaga. Hopefully better handle then. But doesn't know if he'll play Sunday against Carolina. [via Twitter]

3:04

TomSilverstein: MM: Same with Grant. Will know more Sunday. [via Twitter]

I think Silverstein suffered a concussion during the Bears game.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Did Denver quit?

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I think Silverstein suffered a concussion during the Bears game.

Hee Hee - no, just a head bruise.

Fritz
09-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Which head? Are they concealing the injury so opponents don't try to hurt him even more?

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
On one hand, Bulaga has been downgraded

On the other hand, its possible McCarthy doesn't know (or prefers to appear that he doesn't know) the difference between a sprain and a bruise.

On the third hand, its possible Bulaga actually has a torn rotator cuff.

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Inside info....But he could have played in the 2nd half but since Newhouse was performing well they saw no reason to risk it.

Wasn't Bulaga in sweats on the sideline?

red
09-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Brad Jones has a hamstring strain? Did he do that lugging the post-game meal into the locker room?

I'm less worried about whether Bulaga's going to play this week than I am if he's going to play at all for the next eight weeks. How bad does it look, guys?

The Packers are getting skimpier and skimpier about giving injury info out. This is like an NHL team: "He has a lower body thingy."

honestly it didn't look bad at all. a bear rolled up on the back of his leg. i only saw the knee bend the proper way, nothing else. i thought like many others that it was an ankle injury at first because nothing seemed to happen to his knee

but last year it didn't look like a big deal when finley got injured and we ended up losing him for a year

here's a vid. did that fucker dive at his knee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTm8ccjV74

pbmax
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I think the DT trips, looks up again and sees he isn't going to hit Rodgers before the ball is gone (or thinks he's going to hit him low) and he changes his target left.

Its an odd looking hit. His knee never seems to buckle in to the right and the DT clearly makes contact with Bulaga's ankle/foot first. After the hit, as Bulaga is already headed down, the DT's leg kicks Bulaga near the knee.

BUt after Bulaga hits the turf, he immediately grabs the front of his knee.

Packers4Glory
09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Wasn't Bulaga in sweats on the sideline?

idk. the word I had was
said that he actually could have played after he came out of the tunnel for the second half, but his replacement was doing alright, so that decided to let him rest.

now whether it gets worse a day or 2 later before getting better is up for debate. He likely feels worse today than yesterday.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
I think the DT trips, looks up again and sees he isn't going to hit Rodgers before the ball is gone (or thinks he's going to hit him low) and he changes his target left.

Its an odd looking hit. His knee never seems to buckle in to the right and the DT clearly makes contact with Bulaga's ankle/foot first. After the hit, as Bulaga is already headed down, the DT's leg kicks Bulaga near the knee.

BUt after Bulaga hits the turf, he immediately grabs the front of his knee.

I didn't think there was an impact directly to the knee until looking at this again. And it looks like the later impact is what got the knee, and there's no lateral bend at all at this point. Maybe there is no ligament damage at all!

red
09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I didn't think there was an impact directly to the knee until looking at this again. And it looks like the later impact is what got the knee, and there's no lateral bend at all at this point. Maybe there is no ligament damage at all!

i bet he hurt is ankle and just got a bruise on his knee from the kick. you get kicked in the knee its gonna hurt like hell. and when a 320 pound lineman hurts his ankle, he's not gonna be able to grab it

Guiness
09-26-2011, 05:05 PM
watching that video, I wonder if he hurt his knee earlier in the play? When he steps back, just before he gets hit by Tohina, it looks like he might've jammed it then? Especially at full speed, the way was moving backwards and planted his left leg looked awkward.

red
09-26-2011, 06:47 PM
watching that video, I wonder if he hurt his knee earlier in the play? When he steps back, just before he gets hit by Tohina, it looks like he might've jammed it then? Especially at full speed, the way was moving backwards and planted his left leg looked awkward.

you know, i thought that same thing guiness when i watched the video. but it does look like he planted hard on it right after that

Upnorth
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
I really like how Newhouse stepped up, it was better than I feared.

gbgary
09-26-2011, 08:08 PM
mm said he's unsure if bulaga will be able to play this weekend. very encouraging.

RashanGary
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah, and Neal was day to day too. It looked fuckin bad to me. I'm thinking anywhere from 4 weeks to the year. Hopefully shit head sherrod gets his act together.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
mm said he's unsure if bulaga will be able to play this weekend. very encouraging.

Very unrealistic, I suspect. He has to have at least an ankle or knee sprain. Newhouse played well enough that there's no need to rush him back. I would expect him to miss a few weeks.

gbgary
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Very unrealistic, I suspect. He has to have at least an ankle or knee sprain. Newhouse played well enough that there's no need to rush him back. I would expect him to miss a few weeks.

i was only saying that even the thought that he might play was an encouraging sign that the injury wasn't serious. not that he'd actually play.

mission
09-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, and Neal was day to day too. It looked fuckin bad to me. I'm thinking anywhere from 4 weeks to the year. Hopefully shit head sherrod gets his act together.

You can't be serious.

Upnorth
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Has there been any updates? Buluga is key part to this team and it would be nice to hear he is coming back soon.

mmmdk
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm not worried, really, I'm not! :wave:

denverYooper
09-28-2011, 01:25 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/TyDunne/status/119106757367836672

Was limping a little but moving around pretty good. RT @jamoe17 Bulaga in a brace and/or gimpy/limping at all?

wootah
09-28-2011, 01:40 PM
The Green Bay Packers worked out free-agent OL Tony Moll (Jaguars) Tuesday, Sept. 27. According to Jason LaCanfora:link (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/119059911496839168)

Don't like the sound of that one, to be honest.

Lurker64
09-28-2011, 02:33 PM
According to Jason LaCanfora:link (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/119059911496839168)

Don't like the sound of that one, to be honest.

It's not like we signed him, even though we have a roster spot open (once we put Collins on IR). Why not do your due diligence on guys where you might need more bodies?

wootah
09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
It's not like we signed him, even though we have a roster spot open (once we put Collins on IR). Why not do your due diligence on guys where you might need more bodies?

I didn't mean to target Moll in particular, just the fact that they're working out a tackle makes me fear the worst regarding Bulaga's injury.

hoosier
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
From today's JSO blog: the good news is that Bulaga is doubtful for Sunday (not just definitely out). He was reportedly at practice but didn't participate and was seen limping slightly. I fully expect McCarthy to declare him "week to week" any moment now. If he can be back against Atlanta, I don't expect they will have missed him too much.

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM

I agree with the length of time. Sherrod got all messed up because of his try out at guard. Bad move to mess with a kid like that. I think ego might have had something to do with that.

Lurker64
09-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I didn't mean to target Moll in particular, just the fact that they're working out a tackle makes me fear the worst regarding Bulaga's injury.

Think of it this way. We started the year with fewer offensive linemen on the roster than any other year under MM. If Bulaga is out for a week or two, we're one injury away from having to start every single offensive lineman on the roster. It makes sense to look at guys, even if those guys are Moll.

hoosier
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
The 1996 version also flew by the seat of its pants. Look at who they started at LT that year: Gary Brown, John Michels, Ken Ruettgers (for part of one game) and Bruce Wilkerson. Wolf picked up Wilkerson and Brown from the scrap heap, Ruettgers was on his very last leg, and Michels was exposing himself as a bust. Even if it came down to starting Tony Moll at RT for a few games, if the 96 Packers could survive with Brown and Michels at the most important OL position for half the season, the 2011 Packers can live with Moll.

MadScientist
09-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Even if it came down to starting Tony Moll at RT for a few games, if the 96 Packers could survive with Brown and Michels at the most important OL position for half the season, the 2011 Packers can live with Moll.
I'm not sure Rodgers could live with Moll at LT (or even RT). I always thought of him as Tony 'I just got' Moll'd. That the Packers are looking at him is worrisome. I'd look at Taucher to see if he has anything left. I know football is a young man's game, but when dealing with the scrap heap, I'd lean toward the old vet who was cut to make way for someone younger, cheaper or better, instead of the younger guy who was cut because he proved he can't play.

pbmax
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
The 1996 version also flew by the seat of its pants. Look at who they started at LT that year: Gary Brown, John Michels, Ken Ruettgers (for part of one game) and Bruce Wilkerson. Wolf picked up Wilkerson and Brown from the scrap heap, Ruettgers was on his very last leg, and Michels was exposing himself as a bust. Even if it came down to starting Tony Moll at RT for a few games, if the 96 Packers could survive with Brown and Michels at the most important OL position for half the season, the 2011 Packers can live with Moll.

Bruce Wilkerson, the progenitor of the Packers "Thanks For Saving Out Ass Award". Won in 2010 by Howard Green.

Lurker64
09-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure Rodgers could live with Moll at LT (or even RT). I always thought of him as Tony 'I just got' Moll'd. That the Packers are looking at him is worrisome. I'd look at Taucher to see if he has anything left. I know football is a young man's game, but when dealing with the scrap heap, I'd lean toward the old vet who was cut to make way for someone younger, cheaper or better, instead of the younger guy who was cut because he proved he can't play.

Difference between Moll and Tauscher: Moll can play guard too, and we have no depth on the interior of the OL. The issue is not "who is backing up at tackle" the pecking order for backup tackles is set: Newhouse is first in, then Sherrod. If Bulaga's injury isn't season ending (and it looks like it's not) then any OL we bring in is going to be a guy who can play inside.

KYPack
09-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Moll is real versatile. He can't play two positions. Tony showed a little promise when he was young, but never made it off the plateau.

He would be possible for us, espec if the injury bug bites at OL again.

Guiness
09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Bruce Wilkerson, the progenitor of the Packers "Thanks For Saving Out Ass Award". Won in 2010 by Howard Green.

Isn't he the guy about whom Madden said "He's an old hand at LT, and knows how to get in the way"?

Patler
09-29-2011, 05:47 AM

Fritz
09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
This whole injury thing is starting to look ridiculous again. Let's see...Collins out for the year. Zombo and Neal out for probably the first half of the season. Grant and Bulaga out this week.

That's five starters out for this Sunday.

hoosier
09-29-2011, 07:31 AM
This whole injury thing is starting to look ridiculous again. Let's see...Collins out for the year. Zombo and Neal out for probably the first half of the season. Grant and Bulaga out this week.

That's five starters out for this Sunday.

Maybe this is the Packers version of Achilles's choice. Do you want a long, anonymous life or a short life of glamor followed by eternal fame? Do you want a healthy one-and-out team (2009) or an injury riddled SB champ (2010)? Somehow it seems that the Packers have an easier choice than Achilles.

mraynrand
09-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe this is the Packers version of Achilles's choice. Do you want a long, anonymous life or a short life of glamor followed by eternal fame? Do you want a healthy one-and-out team (2009) or an injury riddled SB champ (2010)? Somehow it seems that the Packers have an easier choice than Achilles.

I don't know what's gonna happen man, but I'm getting my kicks before this whole shit house goes up in flames
http://www.michaelarnoldart.com/jim_morrison.jpg

Freak Out
09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Until we lose guys like Rodgers, Raji, Jennings or Mathews the Packers have a fighting chance every week.

rbaloha1
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
IMO BB short term loss is not tragic. MN has acquitted himself very well.

Moll would be nice insurance.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Is Sherrod that far behind in his development that we are really looking to sign Moll? Bulaga is not out for season so I don't see why Newhouse and our first round pick can't hold it down until he comes back.

pbmax
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Is Sherrod that far behind in his development that we are really looking to sign Moll? Bulaga is not out for season so I don't see why Newhouse and our first round pick can't hold it down until he comes back.

Newhouse was the veteran backup tackle even though he had no actual NFL game experience and he is now starting. Even if Sherrod was the next guy in, there has to be someone else on the roster to play tackle if Bulaga is out for an extended period. It might be that Sherrod can't be trusted yet, but someone was going to get signed eitherway if Bulaga is more limited than imagined currently.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I haven't read this thread, and a quick glance at poster avatars tells me there are too many idiots in it to waste my time, but why do people want to sign a tackle when the need is so obviously at guard?