PDA

View Full Version : Holding, #21 Kicking Team Penalty Enforced At the Spot of the Foul

pbmax
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
http://imgur.com/a/MLKx2

http://i.imgur.com/To5yl.jpg

pbmax
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
BUUUSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SkinBasket
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
That play was a team-wide embarrassment. The entire ST coaching staff should be fired, and every Packer on the field for that play should be worked over in practice like a mule until they fall over this week.

Patler
09-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Bush looks like he is headed in the right direction, doesn't he?

red
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
god help us, bush and the punter were the only ones that actually knew where the ball was going

red
09-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Bush looks like he is headed in the right direction, doesn't he?

he is the gunner though, so either he ran right in front of everyone else and they just ignored him, or he was coming from the left and he was grabbed and spun around

if he was grabbed and spun, then #21 is the dumbest man alive for trying to prevent bush from going the wrong way

pbmax
09-26-2011, 11:59 AM
He does look headed in the right direction there, but in the replay FOX had, he looped into the middle toward Hester and was way too deep.

Possible the blocking drove him deep or he caught sight of his teammates converging in the middle. But it didn't seem clear he saw Knox and he definitely did not know the ball had landed there.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
He does look headed in the right direction there, but in the replay FOX had, he looped into the middle toward Hester and was way too deep.

Possible the blocking drove him deep or he caught sight of his teammates converging in the middle. But it didn't seem clear he saw Knox and he definitely did not know the ball had landed there.

He could/should have known something was up, considering 21 and Knox were double teaming him at the start and - I think - on every other punt.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 12:09 PM
That play was a team-wide embarrassment. The entire ST coaching staff should be fired, and every Packer on the field for that play should be worked over in practice like a mule until they fall over this week.

It was a great fake. Guys running down field can't see the ball. They're headed for Hester and he's 'trying to catch the ball.' What are they to do - take their eyes off Hester to locate the ball thinking "Hey Masthay SAID he was going to kick it to the sidelines, so since Hester is drifting to the center of the field and making like he's going to catch it, it must be a ruse so I'll take my eyes off the most dangerous punt returner in the NFL to locate the ball or the other guy involved in a fake punt return - the kind of fake punt I've never seen before in my entire football life or ever on TV" - or maybe they thought "Masthtay kicked it wrong"

Thing is, is that Masthay should never have kicked the ball so that it had any chance of landing in bounds, even if the Bears got it at the 50. That was the unforgivable error on that play.

gbgary
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
i don't think it's the big embarrassment some think it is. you can't be looking up going down field, you'll get killed. in the huddle they say we're punting left but shit happens. punts get blocked, shanked, go deep, fall short, go left, and go right sometimes. when everyone goes right you go right. bush was too busy fighting off the guy to notice right away. they have to come up with some communication solution or as someone mentioned, punt ob. it was just a brilliant fake.

Freak Out
09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
god help us, bush and the punter were the only ones that actually knew where the ball was going

Ha ha... :)

red
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
the play called for mashtay to kick to the left sideline, the whole special teams knew he was kicking that was, yet every single one of them went to the right in one giant mass

it was an awesome play by the bears, but i think our ST should feel pretty stupid too

no staying home, no staying in your lanes. if hester had gotten the ball, the whole opposite side of the field was wide open for him

here's the video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8228f7c4/The-punt-return-that-never-was

Bossman641
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
the play called for mashtay to kick to the left sideline, the whole special teams knew he was kicking that was, yet every single one of them went to the right in one giant mass

it was an awesome play by the bears, but i think our ST should feel pretty stupid too

no staying home, no staying in your lanes. if hester had gotten the ball, the whole opposite side of the field was wide open for him

here's the video

http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8228f7c4/The-punt-return-that-never-was

Yes, because punters never mishit a ball. What do you expect? 2 guys to converge on hester and the rest to spread out around the field? Give credit where due, it was a great call by dave toub.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
It's funny how quiet the crowd is even as Knox is running downfield with the ball. They didn't just surprise the Packers, they surprised 70,000 people.

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Tim Masthay: "Hey!...Hey!...WTF!...You F***in' idiots!"

Guiness
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
It was a great play. Everyone, the coverage unit, the cameraman and the crowd was fooled.

I do wonder if there was some mis-communication with the coverage unit though. When you watch the video Red posted, it never looks like they were headed to the left side of the field, where the punt was supposed to be going. It's hard to tell, because the video of that time is fleeting and they're all trying to get off blocks, but it looks to me like they're generally going straight down the middle of the field.

channtheman
09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
I think they are converging on Hester as mentioned. They aren't going to ignore Hester because the ball is supposed to be going to the left. Imagine if they all go left and Hester fields the punt on the right and runs for a score untouched. This was really just an incredible play call and executed to perfection, other than 21 feeling like he had to hold for some reason.

SkinBasket
09-26-2011, 02:27 PM
The only way this should work is if our punter is in on it, which I hope he wasn't, and kicks the ball where he shouldn't, which apparently wasn't the case. The ST coverage was undisciplined, unresponsive, and totally fucking retarded.

pbmax
09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
McCarthy blamed poor awareness on the coverage unit as a culprit. So rather than Masthay simply yelling "LEFT LEFT!" over and over, it would seem they are supposed to track the ball or other return bodies somewhere along the line.

My question is this: Was Knox lined up on the sideline the whole time, like he was sneaking off the field or something? Or did he fade over there after the snap?

Patler
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
The thing this play does for them, even though they botched it with the hold, is put the seed of doubt in the mind of every player on coverage teams. No team can go as aggressively toward Hester again. This may open up the field for Hester in the future.

Patler
09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
My question is this: Was Knox lined up on the sideline the whole time, like he was sneaking off the field or something? Or did he fade over there after the snap?

Knox sprinted down to that corner from his position up on the line against Bush. If you watch the original angle that was from behind Masthay, you can see him release and sprint down the sideline. You can also see the hold of Bush. It comes into the screen on the left just as Masthay gets the punt away. From the still shot sequence on JSO, it looks like #21 actually hooked the collar of Bush's shoulder pads from behind and pulled his shoulder backward. Bush's upper body twists backward even though his is past the blocker. It was probably pretty evident to the official.

Bossman641
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
McCarthy blamed poor awareness on the coverage unit as a culprit. So rather than Masthay simply yelling "LEFT LEFT!" over and over, it would seem they are supposed to track the ball or other return bodies somewhere along the line.

Knox was lined up with Graham over Bush. If you watch this replay you can see him sprinting down the sideline. He makes a pretty nice over the shoulder grab too. It looks like Masthay hit a real nice punt, it was right near the sideline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5cYwx2WuE

pbmax
09-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Best explanation so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/31738/31738

Bush:
"We all went with Hester," Bush said. "You have to kind of respect it because Hester is the dynamic returner that he is. Everybody went that way. I knew the ball was supposed to go a different way. But I couldn't find it."

Fritz
09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Shawn Slocum is the new Kurt Schottenheimer.

TravisWilliams23
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Aikman said Hester called for a "fair catch" but I didn't see anywhere on the replay where he actually raised his hand to signal for such. I'm not 100% sure but I think if anyone signals for a fair catch the ball can't be returned. I know for sure the player signaling can NOT advance the punt.
I've read numerous complaints about the hold and how the ref's blew it, yada yada yada but #21 did grab Bush and a referee saw it and threw the flag. Sad part for the Bears is that Bush had no idea where the ball was going and was going for Hester too.
Bears "almost" pulled off one of the greatest trick plays of all time but it's now just a water cooler conversation piece.
Shame on the Packers ST and coaches. Even though it was brought back, it's a total embarrassment for them to have fallen for the gig.

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM
McCarthy PC:

Grant kidney bruise
Jones hamstring strain
Bulaga knee bruise (medical staff more concerned than Bulaga) its Newhouse for now
Marshall good solid game, some tech to correct
Bears tried something similar on earlier punt but Packers downed ball near endzone, some coverage issues but mainly great design and execution
Sherrod will get more reps and McCarthy is pleased with his development
Nickel D playing the run very well esp. Matthews, Walden and DTs
Peprah needs to keep feet, Burnett played well and he and Wynn won game balls

red
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM

knox was lined up on bush, he was one of the two guys that were suppose to harass the gunner. right before the snap he turned around and started sprinting down the side line. bush didn't pick up on this

knox said the bears knew where the punt was going to go based on where the packers were and what hash they were on.

so the bears knew where we were punting, but we didn't

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Grant is a runner who gets better with attempts and excels going North/South
McKenzie says they dodged a bullet with Bulaga
but won't know more until all scans are in

M3 not too happy about 15 pre snap penalties in last two regular season games in Soldier Field

pbmax
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
knox was lined up on bush, he was one of the two guys that were suppose to harass the gunner. right before the snap he turned around and started sprinting down the side line. bush didn't pick up on this

knox said the bears knew where the punt was going to go based on where the packers were and what hash they were on.

so the bears knew where we were punting, but we didn't

That works, only if you have Hester as your return man, I would imagine.

Guiness
09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
McCarthy PC:
Burnett played well and he and Wynn won game balls

And what about Wynn??? Certainly developing better than most thought he would. We'd all be bitching a LOT more about the DL, Neale being out and Jenkins gone if this guy hadn't stepped up the way he has. I haven't paid enough attention - how is he holding up in the run game?

Lurker64
09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
The number of Bears fans who complained about the "phantom holding" today was pretty funny.

Even if the call was illegitimate (despite Aikman and Buck, it wasn't) the call would only have changed the game if:
- The Bears recover the ensuing onside kick.
- The Bears are able to kick a score a touchdown after recovering the onside kick
-OR-
-The Bears are able to kick a field goal after recovering the onside kick
-AND-
-The Bears manage to score first in overtime.

The call wasn't missed, it's just funny the number of Bears fans who think that it mattered for some reason. Maybe it makes them feel better to lose by 3?

Freak Out
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought Grant won a game ball? How many do they give out per game?

Lurker64
09-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I thought Grant won a game ball? How many do they give out per game?

I think they give out 1-2 game balls for each unit (offense, defense, special teams).

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
The number of Bears fans who complained about the "phantom holding" today was pretty funny.

Even if the call was illegitimate (despite Aikman and Buck, it wasn't) the call would only have changed the game if:
- The Bears recover the ensuing onside kick.
- The Bears are able to kick a score a touchdown after recovering the onside kick
-OR-
-The Bears are able to kick a field goal after recovering the onside kick
-AND-
-The Bears manage to score first in overtime.

The call wasn't missed, it's just funny the number of Bears fans who think that it mattered for some reason. Maybe it makes them feel better to lose by 3?

Wasn't the point spread 3.5?

Iron Mike
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Maybe eventually this will be another "asterisk" game for Chicago..... :)

gbgary
09-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe eventually this will be another "asterisk" game for Chicago..... :)

hehe

Brando19
09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank you for finding that image, pbmax. The guys at work were saying it was a bullshit call and should have counted and were riding me all day. Now I have evidence. I can't wait for work tomorrow to prove them sorry bastards wrong.

swede
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Not that evidence matters to a Bear fan. They just move on to the next excuse.

Iron Mike
09-26-2011, 11:05 PM

here's the video

Take a look again at the video at 0:13........does #49 of the Bears not shove Masthay in the back during the return?? Would that NOT be an illegal block in the back?? Just askin'.

Patler
09-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank you for finding that image, pbmax. The guys at work were saying it was a bullshit call and should have counted and were riding me all day. Now I have evidence. I can't wait for work tomorrow to prove them sorry bastards wrong.

If you need proof, how about an admission from Graham that he did it:

Graham was stunned.

"It's unfortunate that something we worked so hard on would be called back because of a play by me," he said. "It was maybe 30, 40 yards away from the play. It wasn't blatant but it was just a bad play by me. I should have just let him go, just don't even touch him. He had nothing to do with the play.

"It worked just the way we planned on it."

Freak Out
09-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I have to give Masthay props for still going all out trying to get to Knox.....even diving at the end.

wootah
09-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Just a fantastic play design by the Bears ST coach. It's described in detail as the play of the week at JS online: LINK (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/130544948.html).

Kiwon
09-27-2011, 05:54 AM
That play was so successful that it looked like something out of Pop Warner. Can you imagine the reaction if Masthay actually beat the block and nailed Knox?

pbmax
09-27-2011, 07:21 AM

Go to the original link. There are three photos. You can send one per hour to drive the point home before lunch. :)

pbmax
09-27-2011, 07:22 AM
That play was so successful that it looked like something out of Pop Warner. Can you imagine the reaction if Masthay actually beat the block and nailed Knox?

It would have been Jon Ryan-esque.

Brando19
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Go to the original link. There are three photos. You can send one per hour to drive the point home before lunch. :)

Haha...you're right! I had the guys at work making other excuses...lol.

Packers4Glory
09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Haha...you're right! I had the guys at work making other excuses...lol.

you could have also printed the story where he admitted it was a boneheaded play.

Brando19
09-27-2011, 08:07 PM
you could have also printed the story where he admitted it was a boneheaded play.

You and Patler have a point...I'm going to print the story and slam it on their desks tomorrow.

MJZiggy
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Ahhhh vengeance!

Guiness
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I wonder if Graham's dog has been shot yet?

smuggler
09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Masthay did beat the block.

denverYooper
09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I've seen the "phantom hold" meme show up in national articles and Peter King tweets, not just on Bear discussion boards.

Lurker64
09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I've seen the "phantom hold" meme show up in national articles and Peter King tweets, not just on Bear discussion boards.

They ripped the refs on Monday Night Countdown on ESPN for throwing a flag for a "nonexistent" hold.

Packers4Glory
09-28-2011, 05:18 PM
they ripped it on pardon the interruption as well monday.

KYPack
09-28-2011, 09:15 PM
The "final evidence". Funny delivery by this guy. He calls it the "Zapruder Film"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NBz5S32Nc

Even a Bear fan could understand this shit.

gbgary
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
love the zapruder film above. lol

just watched a show called nfl single coverage on velocity hd (channel 281 on directv) which was focused on this Packer-bear game. it showed this play at the end and the only player who knew where it was was masthay.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
love the zapruder film above. lol

just watched a show called nfl single coverage on velocity hd (channel 281 on directv) which was focused on this Packer-bear game. it showed this play at the end and the only player who knew where it was was masthay.

I hope like hell he did, he booted the damn thing! Can you imagine what was going through his mind when he looked down the field and saw what was going on???

Joemailman
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I hope like hell he did, he booted the damn thing! Can you imagine what was going through his mind when he looked down the field and saw what was going on???
WTF?!!! Bunch of idiots!

Guiness
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
WTF?!!! Bunch of idiots!
I'd love to see a camera that was no him. I bet he was screaming his lungs out trying to get their attention!