PDA

View Full Version : Sam Shields

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2011, 01:49 AM
I must say that after worrying about him having a sophomore slump earlier in the year, he stepped up his game vs. Chicago.

Bretsky
09-27-2011, 06:20 AM
gotta agree; he has a sub par preseason and game one was junk
But he stepped it up against the Bears; maybe since he's only in yr two he needed more time and is effected by lack of practice time.

pbmax
09-27-2011, 07:20 AM
He pulled a great Woodson on that last tip. He was a millisecond away from PI and got away with it with good timing and technique. I also am glad to see him battling Hester, even if he shoved or punched once more than was probably safe.

Pugger
09-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I suspect Hester was getting frustrated because he was up against a guy who could actually run with him. :wink:

vince
09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
But he stepped it up against the Bears; maybe since he's only in yr two he needed more time and is effected by lack of practice time.
+1 He either needed more time or learned something about what he needs to do to come into camp ready to play.
Hopefully he becomes more consistent from here on out.

bobblehead
09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
He pulled a great Woodson on that last tip. He was a millisecond away from PI and got away with it with good timing and technique. I also am glad to see him battling Hester, even if he shoved or punched once more than was probably safe.

Sometimes you have to stand up to a bully. Backing down would only embolden him. If Devon Hester starts shit with you, you can't back down, sometimes even if it costs you 15 yards. Its a fine line, but psychologically you NEED to win that battle to finish your domination of him on the field. Once you finish it, he will always be intimidated facing you.

I know it sounds like I'm reading too much into it, but I think many an athlete would agree with me.

pbmax
09-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Sometimes you have to stand up to a bully. Backing down would only embolden him. If Devon Hester starts shit with you, you can't back down, sometimes even if it costs you 15 yards. Its a fine line, but psychologically you NEED to win that battle to finish your domination of him on the field. Once you finish it, he will always be intimidated facing you.

I know it sounds like I'm reading too much into it, but I think many an athlete would agree with me.

They might, but I think the number of players mentally weak enough to "lose" forever to another player over a physical confrontation is relatively low. If Hester was a classic middle school bully, maybe. But he has been competing at a high level like this as an adult for years.

More likely, its an adult who is very frustrated and thinks he has been wronged and acts impulsively in response. And I doubt too many minds were changed over slapping helmets. Shields would be best served, as most would, by simply showing up each play and playing it the same way over and over again. That was what caused Hester's frustration in the first place. Shields was winning already, both on the scoreboard and with their individual battle.

Deputy Nutz
09-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Sam Shields is still a great value to this team, although I am wondering if he is going to be skilled enough in the coming years to be a solid starting cornerback in the NFL. He plays almost 90% of the snaps now, but let Packer fan hope he is not another flash in the pan type player(Sam Gado).

rbaloha1
09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
IMO SS may have too much confidence. Relies too much on closing speed. Getting beat too often.

It would be nice to see Davon House.

sharpe1027
09-27-2011, 12:34 PM

I would agree to a point. But does he need to smack Hester upside the head in order to stand up to him? Standing in there after Hester gives Shields his best shot and then staring Hester down (or even laughing at him) to let him know his best shot didn't phase him might even be more effective.

Harlan Huckleby
09-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I must say that after worrying about him having a sophomore slump earlier in the year, he stepped up his game vs. Chicago. I thought Shields played well. McGinn was pissy.

Capers moved Morgan Burnett from strong safety to free safety as an accommodation for Charlie Peprah, the replacement for Nick Collins, who has proven to be better-suited near the line. Burnett keeps demonstrating that he can be a complete safety, intercepting two passes off the hash. On the first, Burnett trusted his eyes and vacated the middle at the right time when Cutler pump-faked right and threw deep right to Roy Williams. Then he came across and, when the ball was thrown a bit inside, vaulted high for a leaping pick. His second interception, reading an overthrow by Cutler from deep in a two-safety shell, wasn't as spectacular, but many safeties have dropped that same type of ball. Burnett had a bad open-field miss on Davis' 32-yard touchdown, as did Sam Shields. There also was another miss by Shields, who just isn't playing well. Woodson replaced Peprah at safety a few times in the base defense, giving Capers a better player in coverage. Late in the second quarter, Capers made a major coverage decision after Johnny Knox was wide open on the deep sideline for 40. Playing zone, neither Woodson nor Shields got proper depth to help Peprah, who got turned and burned on the play. After that, Capers played nothing but man-to-man under his two-deep looks. Williams, Shields and Woodson all had plays in which they were beat deep but for various reasons the passes weren't completed. Jarrett Bush's sack might have been the best play of the game. Blitzing off the slot to Cutler's right, Bush defeated Forte and then actually trashed the 315-pound Omiyale. Nobody plays harder than Bush.

mraynrand
09-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Standing in there after Hester gives Shields his best shot and then staring Hester down (or even laughing at him) to let him know his best shot didn't phase him might even be more effective.

He did that too.

Partial
09-27-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm far from an expert but I feel like he may have been better last year. Hopefully now that Tramontana is back, he will be matched up with a less capable receiver and have more success.

Fritz
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Man, people are harsh. He's still a young player, still developing. What is he, like 23 years old? He's still learning the craft.

Guiness
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Man, people are harsh. He's still a young player, still developing. What is he, like 23 years old? He's still learning the craft.

No kidding, eh? A UDFA who played in 14 games as a rookie, was listed as a nickle back, but was really essentially a starter. Tramon didn't start until he was in the league for 2 1/2 seasons, he sat behind Woodson ad Harris and learned.

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't look at Shields and kick themselves.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
No kidding, eh? A UDFA who played in 14 games as a rookie, was listed as a nickle back, but was really essentially a starter. Tramon didn't start until he was in the league for 2 1/2 seasons, he sat behind Woodson ad Harris and learned.

There isn't a team in the league that doesn't look at Shields and kick themselves.

Can we get the facebook "like" bottom on here???

Deputy Nutz
09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm far from an expert but I feel like he may have been better last year. Hopefully now that Tramontana is back, he will be matched up with a less capable receiver and have more success.

Tramon isn't playing like he was last year, but I would still take both of those guys. Woodson has officially lost a step and he needs to be locked on the slot and around the LOS. I have said he hasn't played safety yet, and even if he were to make that move and Collins comes back healthy where would Woodson play? You have Morgan Burnett and from everything that I have seen he is going to be a full time starter in this league for a while.

Packers4Glory
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
remember it took Williams a few yrs to be what he is today. You can see it in Shields. If he keeps on this path he'll be ready to take over when Woodson is done at CB.

rbaloha1
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Good point. Nontheless this is the time big leaps are most possible. No doubt the lack of minicamps hurt development. Maybe the giant leap happens in his money year. Reference Jordy Nelson.

Upnorth
09-28-2011, 11:31 AM
remember it took Williams a few yrs to be what he is today. You can see it in Shields. If he keeps on this path he'll be ready to take over when Woodson is done at CB.

Sheilds will be very good, hopefully great, but replace woodson? One can only hope.

Cheesehead Craig
09-28-2011, 03:29 PM

True that, he's been playing corner for what, his 3rd season now? He'll get better.

Packers4Glory
09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Sheilds will be very good, hopefully great, but replace woodson? One can only hope.
haha I think you are reading a bit too much into what I said.

I don't mean that he'll be as good as Woodson. Only that Woodson's career at CB is going to be coming to an end here pretty soon. When that happens I think Shields will be more than ready to step in as a capable starter provided he continues to improve, learn, and grow. He's got a great guy to pattern his game after much like Williams had Wood and Al.

I really believe the rookies and 2nd yr players lost a lot of valuable time in the lockout and you can't expect huge leaps from yr 2 guys like you would usually look for because of it.

bobblehead
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Sam Shields is still a great value to this team, although I am wondering if he is going to be skilled enough in the coming years to be a solid starting cornerback in the NFL. He plays almost 90% of the snaps now, but let Packer fan hope he is not another flash in the pan type player(Sam Gado).

Hard to be a flash in the pan CB. Teams attacked him often last year and paid the price for it. CB isn't a position you can just be lucky at for more than a game or 2.

Joemailman
09-28-2011, 07:15 PM

I kind of agree with B. I think Shields may have been affected by the lockout just like a lot of rookies are. He's still in a situation where he needs reps to bet better.

Smeefers
09-28-2011, 07:28 PM
I don't think Sam Shields has a ceiling. The guy has three pro bowlers teaching him how to play his position and he's eating it up. The kid is amazing. He has all the natural talent in the world and I think a Tramon comparison is perfect. Give him a couple more years and I think he's going to be a star.

RashanGary
09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't think Sam Shields has a ceiling. The guy has three pro bowlers teaching him how to play his position and he's eating it up. The kid is amazing. He has all the natural talent in the world and I think a Tramon comparison is perfect. Give him a couple more years and I think he's going to be a star.

Agree. I'm not the least bit worried about Shields.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2011, 10:00 PM
It took Tramon Williams 4 years to be good.

vince
09-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I hope he follows in Tramon's footsteps. He's definitely got the skills, although his slightly checkered past suggests that he hasn't always been a "sit in the front row with pen in hand taking notes in meetings" kind of family guy like Tramon is.

The fact that he came to camp and was very inconsistent isn't necessarily damning, but it does make one wonder if maybe he could have worked a little harder in the offseason. He's a young single guy making six-figures living in South Florida with a relatively recent drug charge. His motivations and values could be different than Tramon's and that's the kind of stuff (lack of discipline) that can separate the talented from the great. Hopefully he's a good guy who made some mistakes and wants to be great because without that he won't be.

Marquis Mosley, his former receivers coach at Miami summed it up pretty welll in this article...
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/Former-UM-Corner-Shields-Busted-for-Pot-88723722.html

“Florida State is not holding back Sam Shields." Oklahoma is not holding back Sam Shields. Texas A&M is not holding back Sam Shields. Sam Shields is holding back Sam Shields. If Sam can get out of his own way, he will be a great football player.”

Shields seemingly did get out of his own way in time for one final season and a crack a new position where he might increase his chances at playing in the NFL. He started 10 out of 12 games at cornerback last season and was sixth on the team in tackles, and isn't known to have been in any trouble.

Expected to try his hand at the league as either a very late-round pick or an undrafted free agent, Shields can at least comfort himself with the knowledge that any future NFL employer is probably less concerned with a little pot possession and more stymied as to how one actually gets oneself arrested for it.

Upnorth
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
So with Williams and Sheilds as our starters, Peprah and Burnett play saftey, and Woodson doing his thing in the Nickle, how are we giving up so many yards in the air?

Fritz
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I hope he follows in Tramon's footsteps. He's definitely got the skills, although his slightly checkered past suggests that he hasn't always been a "sit in the front row with pen in hand taking notes in meetings" kind of family guy like Tramon is.

The fact that he came to camp and was very inconsistent isn't necessarily damning, but it does make one wonder if maybe he could have worked a little harder in the offseason. He's a young single guy making six-figures living in South Florida with a relatively recent drug charge. His motivations and values could be different than Tramon's and that's the kind of stuff (lack of discipline) that can separate the talented from the great. Hopefully he's a good guy who made some mistakes and wants to be great because without that he won't be.

Marquis Mosley, his former receivers coach at Miami summed it up pretty welll in this article...
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/Former-UM-Corner-Shields-Busted-for-Pot-88723722.html

But aren't quotes from Whitt often filled with praise for Shields's humble demeanor and his work ethic?

Smidgeon
09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
I suspect Hester was getting frustrated because he was up against a guy who could actually run with him. :wink:

I actually think this hits pretty close to the mark myself.

Smeefers
09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
So with Williams and Sheilds as our starters, Peprah and Burnett play saftey, and Woodson doing his thing in the Nickle, how are we giving up so many yards in the air?

I think it has to do with the off season. I don't see any defenses out there flat out dominating and shutting down opponents. I admit though, that I'm concerned with the play of our secondary. We're still getting turn overs and making plays, but they're getting beat at least twice a game.

I'd also like to put out the theory that our offense, being so awesome, is sorely testing our secondary. Everyone is playing from behind against us... sometimes by a lot, and so they can't just sit and run the ball and play a balanced offense. They have to attack and push the ball down field.

Pugger
10-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Maybe because of our lack of a pass rush? If you give any NFL QB enough time back there somebody's gonna get open. DBs can only cover so long. CM3 is continually double and triple teamed so somebody else has to get in there. It was nice to see Wynn get in there a couple of times against the bares last Sunday. Let's hope this is repeated tomorrow afternoon.

Upnorth
10-01-2011, 08:49 AM
So I am thinking about our pass d this morning instead of working and had a couple of thoughts.
1. Bree's ripped them a new one, but that is what Bree's does, and the pass d gave up a couple of big plays.
2. Carolina was a trap game, emotional week one win, bears in week three, easy to over look last years last place team. After giving up 13 points quick, they gel and wind up with 3 picks but gave up a couple of big plays.
3. Against bears, pass d felt like it really came around but still gave up 300 uards. 2 pics, but gave up a couple of big plays.

The common theme is giving up the big pass play. Last year we gave up very few big plays through the air, this year it seems to be the d's achilles heel. If they eliminate 2 big passing plays per game I doubt that the first two games come down to the last play. When a team tries to build a long drive against our d it tends to stall or end in a turn over this year. I havent seen a change in our scheme, so I wonder if it is coming down to a lack of pass rush? Do we miss Jenkins? Can Soto or Walden provide push opposite CMIII?

pbmax
10-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I think they can stop making mistakes in coverage (McGinn said there was trouble in the zone in the Bear game) and that alone might improve the pass D to acceptable.

Not sure about So'oto, but Neal will make at least a small difference if he can come back full strength.

Upnorth
10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
What is the word with Neal? Is he probable, questionable or inactive tomorrow?

mmmdk
10-01-2011, 09:19 AM
What is the word with Neal? Is he probable, questionable or inactive tomorrow?

Maybe back for week 9, maybe!

vince
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Shields may never be a great tackler, but Whitt is putting some heat on him to step it up. I'm not sure I like Shields' defensive and dismissive response. "I don't understand it." he says, "Other guys are missing tackles too." ... If this kid can stay out of his own way he'll be great some day.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/shields-needs-to-step-up-his-tackling-130898228.html

Green Bay - Sam Shields' woeful tackling after three games potentially has given Jarrett Bush the opportunity for expanded playing time on the Green Bay Packers' defense.

Joe Whitt, who coaches the team's cornerbacks, is not pleased at all by Shields' inability to tackle.

"He hasn't made the big play or anything, but he's covered really well," Whitt said Friday. "He's just got to tackle. If he doesn't tackle we've got to look at something."

The Journal Sentinel has Shields down for six missed tackles, three more than anyone on defense. Whitt suggested that he has charged Shields with more than seven.

"You can't have three missed tackles a game," said Whitt. "It hurts the structure of the defense. Our corners have to tackle. Period.

"Is he ever going to tackle like ( Charles) Woodson? No. But this kid has a special skill set. He has to get them on the ground. There's no ifs, ands or buts about it. He understands. We've talked."

A year ago, Shields missed 11 tackles, fifth most on the team. Whitt said his tackling wasn't acceptable early in his rookie season, but he was more than physical enough down the stretch.

Shields said he realizes that Whitt is trying to develop him into a complete cornerback.

"He's so worried about the tackling part of it," said Shields. "I don't understand, but I do have to tackle. That's a part of the game.

"It's not that I'm scared. It's just that, hey, I missed tackles. It's not just me missing tackles. It's something I do have to work on."

Shields readily acknowledged how tough Woodson plays, saying, "I get it. I get it. I'll start tackling this Sunday."

Bush, the dime back, had an exceptional sack against the Bears in which he beat double-team blocking. Whitt was asked if Bush's pressure ability might lead Dom Capers to play more dime.

"We're hoping so," said Whitt. "Because he (Bush) has played more consistently than probably anybody back there right now. In the pass game and the rush game.

"He's adding pressure to Sam because this kid is playing well. He really is. Either we get him on the field that way (more dime) or he becomes the third guy. One of the two."

Shields allowed a 29-yard touchdown pass to New Orleans' Devery Henderson and a 32-yard jump ball to Carolina's Brandon LaFell.

Bush already has been used to rush nine times, second in the secondary behind Woodson's 13.

Asked if he'd really consider playing Bush outside in nickel, Whitt said, "It's my job to make sure he's in the right position to be impactful. How we've used him this year, he's been impactful."

Lurker64
10-01-2011, 01:31 PM
The thing is, Cornerbacks are there to cover. You want them to tackle, but you can play guys who don't tackle well if they can cover (Deion Sanders is in the hall of fame, and there is no evidence of him ever tackling anybody.)

So if your choice is "play Bush, who can tackle but not cover" or "play Shields, who can cover but not tackle"... you pick the latter option 10 times out of 10.

You just hope you can teach/convince/cajole Shields to tackle.

MJZiggy
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I think this is more about motivating Shields to tackle than to teach him. If he was doing it at the end of last season, then he can do it. Maybe he just needs to have something to prove.

Guiness
10-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Shields may never be a great tackler, but Whitt is putting some heat on him to step it up. I'm not sure I like Shields' defensive and dismissive response. "I don't understand it." he says, "Other guys are missing tackles too." ... If this kid can stay out of his own way he'll be great some day.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/shields-needs-to-step-up-his-tackling-130898228.html

It's the other line I worry about - "I get it. I get it. I'll start tackling this Sunday."
Sounds belligerent. I hope that reads worse than it was. Quite possible for this kid to get a swelled head, starting at CB on an SB winning team as a rookie.

Have to laugh at the dime comment though. We're already playing nickle on first down. Now they're talking about more dime? Is our base D going to be 2-3-6???

pbmax
10-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I have grown to like Jarret Bush quite a bit. But I never imagined there would be a day where the coaches were quoted as saying:

"We have to find ways to get Jarret Bush on the field for his defense."

:lol:

3irty1
10-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Sam Shields is a real puzzle to me. Its EASY to see why he went undrafted. When you listen to him talk he sounds like Hester or Pat Williams AKA one of the stupidest MFers on the planet. Yet he learned his position at an incredible rate and has become a solid starter. I used to think he had a serious ceiling in the form of his mental capacity. Seems I was wrong, some people just can't talk I guess.

pbmax
10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Sam Shields is a real puzzle to me. Its EASY to see why he went undrafted. When you listen to him talk he sounds like Hester or Pat Williams AKA one of the stupidest MFers on the planet. Yet he learned his position at an incredible rate and has become a solid starter. I used to think he had a serious ceiling in the form of his mental capacity. Seems I was wrong, some people just can't talk I guess.

Any idea on his wonderlic score?

rbaloha1
10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I have grown to like Jarret Bush quite a bit. But I never imagined there would be a day where the coaches were quoted as saying:

"We have to find ways to get Jarret Bush on the field for his defense."

:lol:

Amazing isn't it -- Bush replaces Shields.

vince
10-02-2011, 06:12 AM
I can't see Bush replacing Shields as an outside cover man. He's been playig pretty much excusively in the slot and blitzig more often than not. At the end of the article in the JS, Whitt says that they have been putting Bush in positions where he can be successful, and outside coverng isn't that position.

Asked if he'd really consider playing Bush outside in nickel, Whitt said, "It's my job to make sure he's in the right position to be impactful. How we've used him this year, he's been impactful."

Packers4Glory
10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I can't see Bush replacing Shields as an outside cover man. He's been playig pretty much excusively in the slot and blitzig more often than not. At the end of the article in the JS, Whitt says that they have been putting Bush in positions where he can be successful, and outside coverng isn't that position. Bush plays the mini-woodson role on defense. He does a lot of the same things woodson does in the defense when he's out there...granted not as well as woodson, but he's done a pretty good job in his own right.

mraynrand
10-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Bush plays the mini-woodson role on defense. He does a lot of the same things woodson does in the defense when he's out there...granted not as well as woodson, but he's done a pretty good job in his own right.

He has very good speed and athleticism, just not great cover skills - either in zone or man. He's probably best playing W.

pbmax
10-02-2011, 11:24 AM
He has very good speed and athleticism, just not great cover skills - either in zone or man. He's probably best playing W.

Actually, I think he CAN cover. But he has never been able to turn good position into defense against the reception. He makes it a tight window, but that's it. Because of that, he is better facing forward in zone. I think the one thing that could turn him around is a lot of playing time. But on a team this good with CB depth, its the one thing he is not going to get.

Packers4Glory
10-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Actually, I think he CAN cover. But he has never been able to turn good position into defense against the reception. He makes it a tight window, but that's it. Because of that, he is better facing forward in zone. I think the one thing that could turn him around is a lot of playing time. But on a team this good with CB depth, its the one thing he is not going to get.

yeah. He's better blitzing or playing in space in zone and closing on a ball. He's got a lot better and I don't cringe as much when i see him out there. I'll make the obligatory Bush jokes, but I have a level of confidence in him now that didn't exist at the beginning of last season.

smuggler
10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I agree with pbmax. Shields could be good for us, though. He can makes plays on the ball.

rbaloha1
10-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree with pbmax. Shields could be good for us, though. He can makes plays on the ball.

Shields needs to take his position more seriously -- does not seem to have the same angst as last season.

Agree that Bush functions best in a Woodson type role -- blitzing and covering in the middle of the field.

Should SS fail JB could win the position by default. Obviously JB could require more safety help (not a bad thing since even Revis gets more safety help than advertised).

After all who else is there -- Pat Lee. IMO Davon House once he gets pt could replace SS -- dude is long and skilled.

superfan
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a rules question on the Shields INT. He catches the ball, takes two steps in the field of play, and his momentum carries him into the end zone. If he had downed the ball or been tackled in the end zone, would that have been ruled a safety? Or would it be ruled forward progress, with GB ball at the spot of the interception, which would have been about the 2 yard line?

Upnorth
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
It would have been a touchback. That was a beautiful play, when he first started running back I was yelling at him, but man did he have great blocking.

Guiness
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a rules question on the Shields INT. He catches the ball, takes two steps in the field of play, and his momentum carries him into the end zone. If he had downed the ball or been tackled in the end zone, would that have been ruled a safety? Or would it be ruled forward progress, with GB ball at the spot of the interception, which would have been about the 2 yard line?

I think I can answer part of your question - it would not have been a safety, because Denver had possession at the start of the play. Can't have a safety on a turnover, can you?

KalamazooPackerFan
10-02-2011, 06:36 PM

I believe since his momentum carried him into the end zone he could have kneeled down and we would have had the ball at the 20. I'm betting that's what he is coached to do as well and Whitt and Perry may have some words withihim about his decisionmaking. I mean, it's not like he's Randall Cobb!

pbmax
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM

I think you get leeway when momentum carries you into the endzone on such a play. There is a term for it (more specific then leeway) and it came up somewhere recently in one of the other games, but its escaping me right now.

rbaloha1
10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
SS continues the matador defense -- anyone notice the apparent one play benching for a matador tackle on the sideline?

rbaloha1
10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Converted wide receiver which shows in SS's ability to catch the ball nicely and run.

pbmax
10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
SS continues the matador defense -- anyone notice the apparent one play benching for a matador tackle on the sideline?

Did not see it. Will be interesting to see if it gets discussed.

mission
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Did not see it. Will be interesting to see if it gets discussed.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was on the goal line and no CB would have stopped the carrier from scoring there either. High effort or no. Maybe Antoine Winfield, but the momentum would have carried them in...

rbaloha1
10-02-2011, 09:23 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was on the goal line and no CB would have stopped the carrier from scoring there either. High effort or no. Maybe Antoine Winfield, but the momentum would have carried them in...

Its not that play. It was in the third or fourth quarter on a sideline completion on a second down.

Joemailman
10-02-2011, 09:23 PM
If your nickel back is benched, isn't it possible they were in base defense?

smuggler
10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Safety: It's a judgment call. If he'd turned around and tried to move forward at any point, he would have lost access to forward progress and could have been tackled in the end zone for a safety.

Once he continued the play, and turned to face the other endzone, if he'd been tackled in the end zone, it would have been a safety.

This happened to Doug Evans once in Carolina. Honestly, it's a shitty rule.

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 09:42 AM
On one third down against Denver, coaches replaced Shields with Bush in nickel.

The play before was the matador defense.

Before Sunday, Shields had just one more tackle (seven) than missed tackles (six). He said that cornerbacks Joe Whitt Jr. has been on him about this. To stick around in this defense long term, he must play more physical.

hoosier
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Re. the Shields momentum question, if he establishes possession in the field of play (say, the three yard line) and then his momentum carries him into the end zone where he gets tackled, the Packers get the ball wherever he first established possession (the 3). If he were juggling the ball when he went into the end zone and got tackled there, it would be a TB. It can only be a safety if the officials judge that he went into the end zone on his own volition. Whether he is trying to run it back out of the end zone or not is immaterial, the only thing that matters is how he got into the EZ in the first place.

Smidgeon
10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe because of our lack of a pass rush? If you give any NFL QB enough time back there somebody's gonna get open. DBs can only cover so long. CM3 is continually double and triple teamed so somebody else has to get in there. It was nice to see Wynn get in there a couple of times against the bares last Sunday. Let's hope this is repeated tomorrow afternoon.

I think it's because the yards given up is basically irrelevant. Someone else recently brought up the point that there's a high correlation between pass rating differential and successful championship teams. While the Pack is giving up yards, they're also intercepting the ball well, creating turnovers, and capitalizing. I'm pretty sure they're in the Top 5 in the NFL in pass rating differential (but that's a guess)...

hoosier
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I think it's because the yards given up is basically irrelevant. Someone else recently brought up the point that there's a high correlation between pass rating differential and successful championship teams. While the Pack is giving up yards, they're also intercepting the ball well, creating turnovers, and capitalizing. I'm pretty sure they're in the Top 5 in the NFL in pass rating differential (but that's a guess)...

Yup. Their current QB rating differential is 32.4 (120.8 vs. 88.6). That is minimally better than last year's Packers who lead the league with 31.7.

smuggler
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
I have seen this safety question called the other way. The point is, officials are the ones who determine your intent when entering the endzone after the pick. If you were running at full speed and then continued running at full speed out of the back of the endzone, it's a safety. If you tried your best to stop your momentum and then slid down in the endzone and stayed down, you get a touchback.

The way Shields played it, it would probably have been ruled a safety in the endzone.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
As far as I can see smuggler, there's nothing in the rule, as it is written, that would say that it's a safety because he tried to run it back - it was obviously his momentum that carried him in. However, I tend to agree with you, and could see the officials awarding the safety after Shields juked a guy or two and was obviously trying to run it back.

Fritz
10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm a little concerned with Shields's comments in the JSO the other - his tone seemed casual, in a way. Like "Oh, that tackling thing - yeah, I'm definitely going to start doing that on Sunday." He mentioned Whitt had been on him about tackling, but he seemed a bit mystified as to why it was a big deal, this tackling thing.

I suppose part of being a young man learning the craft is also simply growing up and maturing and taking the job seriously - all of it. Like Finley with blocking.

HarveyWallbangers
10-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Good player. Still a dumb ass. I remember him showing no remorse for trying to house that game clinching interception in the NFC Championship Game (and then nearly fumbling). He said he'd do it again. I like ya, Sam, but you need to wise up.

woodbuck27
10-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Yup. That afterall is the Packer way. He has to be given a break and allowed to develop his full potential.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-17-2011, 08:56 AM
He's one of my favorite players. I think he can be really good, but he has to start playing like he wants it. What I mean by that is he has to start tackling better and follow Tramon and Charles lead and study study study. If he does that he can be as good as Tramon.

Guiness
10-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Any word on his injury? Did he come back into the game against the Rams?

pbmax
10-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Its a concussion, or at least concussion like symptoms :roll: and he did not return.

I hope he missed a game, one to get healthy, but two, to drive home a point about being smart with the ball.

Upnorth
10-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Its a concussion, or at least concussion like symptoms :roll: and he did not return.

I hope he missed a game, one to get healthy, but two, to drive home a point about being smart with the ball.

If he does not wise up from a smack like that, what will smarten him up? If he fumbled there and the rams recovered it would have been a td, stupid play by a great player. Hope capers rides him about it.

sheepshead
10-17-2011, 11:02 AM

Agreed. Who was the Packer sort of facing him? His body language says he was saying dude, take a knee already, Im not blocking for you.

rbaloha1
10-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Poor judgement. Huge loss if misses playing time. SS was really steeping it up.

mraynrand
10-17-2011, 11:50 AM
SS was really steeping it up.

https://myorganicchemistry.wikispaces.com/file/view/steeping_tea.jpg/147083335/steeping_tea.jpg
After receiving an unnecessary concussion due to my own stupidity, I like to relax with a soothing cup of Lemon Lift tea - with my homies.
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/37/8a/378a8e236d5c2c9956d3e3986d2362d2.jpg

sheepshead
10-17-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzesqlQyf5Q

bobblehead
10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Good player. Still a dumb ass. I remember him showing no remorse for trying to house that game clinching interception in the NFC Championship Game (and then nearly fumbling). He said he'd do it again. I like ya, Sam, but you need to wise up.

TT is very wary of giving big second contracts to dumb people (Jolly). I think this will be an interesting offseason to see how we handle Finley. His whining about the ball followed by dropping 3 passes (one a TD pass) the next week might have cost him a big contract from TT. I have been accepting of some of his talk because he is talented and works hard. Lately he seems to be crossing the line he was close to.

I put this in the Shields thread because we might be seeing his future ahead of time through finley.

mraynrand
10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Shields had better be careful - too much tea will melt the igloo

Guiness
10-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Shields has been quiet, and kept out of the news since being here in GB, so he's got that going for him.

He's made some questionable decisions on the field, and has seemed pretty remorseless about them...and has shown a propensity to repeat them. He must know by now that 'YAC' is not a stat a CB should be worried about. He has a lot of raw ability and is a young guy, but how coachable is he?

What is his contract status? I don't know much about the new CBA and how, if at all, stuff like the RFA tenders have changed. When would he be looking for his true second contract?

gbgary
02-08-2017, 09:41 AM
released by the Packers: packers-shields-says-he-s-been-released (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1227363-packers-shields-says-he-s-been-released)

Smidgeon
02-08-2017, 11:53 AM
His hashtag streak is pretty impressive. It reads like a stream of consciousness going through the five stages of grief.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQQPsH1gs6z/

SevenStrongYears
IWasGettingBetter
TedThompson
RussBall
CoachmcCarty
StillMad
AtleastLetMeRetireFromThePack
BusinessisBusiness
BoucebackShields
ICan'tPlayWithAnybodyElse
ThatsHowTheGameGo
ImDone
ThanksGreenBay
Ring
Probowl
Money
NowWithMyFamily
NoMoreFreezingWeather
EverythingHappensForAReason

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2017, 11:55 AM
He seems high

vince
02-08-2017, 05:48 PM
haha that seems likely. Shields came into the league getting busted for pot a month before signing with the Pack and went out getting busted for pot a month before being released.

Feel bad for the guy but there's nothing else the Packers could reasonably do here. He made a ton of money. Hopefully he hasn't blown it all.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3h3 hours ago
According to the official #NFL transaction wire, #Packers released Shields with "failed physical" designation. Means he was never cleared.

red
02-08-2017, 08:26 PM
That should free up plenty of money to sign a decent cb in free agency

gbgary
02-09-2017, 11:17 AM
saw that he said he "can't play anywhere else (but Green Bay). i'm done." shields and tramon had a good run.

SkinBasket
02-09-2017, 12:08 PM
He seems high

Like a high fuck face. Does anyone really use hashtags anymore? Or twitter? His only thank you hashtag to GB had an eyeroll after it. And rest reads like a tweenage girl's diary. What a fucking pussy. Now we know that his skull isn't the only soft thing about him.