PDA

View Full Version : Packers mix up offensive line in practice

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 04:32 PM
JsOnline.com:

The Green Bay Packers tried out a new combination of players on the offensive line today after the unit struggled in the team's first exhibition Saturday night.

Left guard Daryn Colledge was replaced by right guard Jason Spitz, with Tony Moll taking over right guard. All three are rookies.

This is the first time Moll has played guard in camp.

From left to right, the Packers offensive line in practice today consisted of Chad Clifton, Spitz, Scott Wells, Moll and Mark Tauscher.
---

Guess they thought Colledge didn't pull his weight, but I'm guessing this is temporary. Would they really start a Tony Moll?

Ugh.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 04:39 PM
They are just shaking things up. It's TC.

OUR coaching staff are really almost Rookies themselves. We'll see lots that may really surprise even shock us. This will be an interesting season to be a Packer fan.

Especially those of you that are young, and will learn alot.

We'll all learn alot I predict. :mrgreen:

The main thing is never PANIC for more than a day or two, LOL.

If your losing sleep. Get on here and post. We'll support you.

To ALL PACKER Fans and Rastak. :mrgreen:

Patler
08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
They have to start looking at who can backup where. It determines how many they keep at some positions, especially the O-line.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
They have to start looking at who can backup where. It determines how many they keep at some positions, especially the O-line.

Yes Patler.

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd agree on Patler's take as well. Plus, a rookie who was handed the starting job needs a kick in the pants every now and then to let him know he still has to perform or he can be replaced.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 05:04 PM
I'll join the chorus with Patler also. They didn't say where Colledge played. I have a feeling this has more to do with Junius Coston. Like it or not, if Clifton or Tauscher gets injured, you are likely going to see Colledge at OT with the lack of depth there now (because of the injuries to Barry and Klemm). They have to get him snaps at OT, and they need to get some of the backups some snaps at OG if that were to happen.

J-Rok
08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Like it or not, if Clifton or Tauscher gets injured, you are likely going to see Colledge at OT with the lack of depth there now (because of the injuries to Barry and Klemm). They have to get him snaps at OT, and they need to get some of the backups some snaps at OG if that were to happen.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read it. Colledge didn't perform very well, but that can't be all the reason for putting in Moll. They need a capable back-up at tackle, and since Colledge used to be a tackle, they'll train him in there just in case.

gbpackfan
08-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Hear this! After reading that Moll was put in a LG, I went back and watched Moll's performance in San Diego. Now, I am not trying to be a homer here but he looked pretty good. He held the point of attack a lot better then Colledge did. I kind of like this move. I am VERY interested to see how he works out. I think Colledge is going to be a solid player, but he needs some time in the weight room. Moll is a big, strong, athletic kid who has some learning to do but he looked solid the other night. Now lets see how he does inside and against starters!

PTPaQ
08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
IMO Colledge is a natural tackle, when we drafted him I was more looking at it as a tempory OG, and the future at LT, thats what he played at Boise St. and did it damn well...

I believe we are set at Center with Scott Wells, hes a smart, strong player, knows what hes doing and will replace Flanagan well. Spitz will be a good guard for us in the future, but IMO next year we need to go after the next big FA Guard to plug into this O-line.

Would of been nice to snag Hutchinson this year...

That would of changed the entire look of our offense.

BananaMan
08-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Hear this! After reading that Moll was put in a LG, I went back and watched Moll's performance in San Diego. Now, I am not trying to be a homer here but he looked pretty good. He held the point of attack a lot better then Colledge did. I kind of like this move. I am VERY interested to see how he works out. I think Colledge is going to be a solid player, but he needs some time in the weight room. Moll is a big, strong, athletic kid who has some learning to do but he looked solid the other night. Now lets see how he does inside and against starters!

Interesting. Maybe they are seriously considering him there? Should be fun to watch this play out. I just pray Brett gets some protection, and we can actually run the ball, no matter who is on the line.

Willard
08-14-2006, 07:17 PM
This is all well and good, but I pray that Clifton and Tauscher can stay healthy and excel in the ZBS! If not, the OL will be juggling on a tightrope without a net--and the guy who will get splattered is Ol Brett. Maybe the new Commissioner will let Brett wear that magic Red Jersey all season long.

gbpackfan
08-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I didnt realize it at the time, but Moll was going against Shawn Merriman most of the time. Didnt he make the pro bowl last year? I think that is what Christl said. Moll really did hold his own and he would seem to be a better fit against the gigantic DT in the nfc north.

SD GB fan
08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
i didnt see the game but if Moll held his own against the first team D of SD..then that is impressive. but prior to this..moll had questions about even making the 53 man roster cos he is not NFL rdy yet. right now it sounds like bringing colledge competition and motivation to improve but cud be a permanent move if it works out.

digitaldean
08-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I'll join the chorus with Patler also. They didn't say where Colledge played. I have a feeling this has more to do with Junius Coston. Like it or not, if Clifton or Tauscher gets injured, you are likely going to see Colledge at OT with the lack of depth there now (because of the injuries to Barry and Klemm). They have to get him snaps at OT, and they need to get some of the backups some snaps at OG if that were to happen.

You're right about Colledge, Harv. Coston was a train wreck at OT.

ahaha
08-14-2006, 09:08 PM

You're right about Colledge, Harv. Coston was a train wreck at OT.

Coston is making us wish Witticker was healthy. How sick is that?

motife
08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
What is it with Thompson and these godawful offensive lines?

Ron Wolf said that offensive line was the most important area on the team, because if you didn't have 5 capable lineman, you can't play.

Based on the 2 consecutive sacks and 5 knockdowns of Favre on 12 plays, the 3 sacks, 3 scrambles, and various knockdowns on Rodgers, the 1.6 yards per carry by the RB's, (not including the scrambles), Tauscher's comment that "panic set in" Saturday night, starting 2 untested rookies one week who just got blown off the line and overpowered by SD's 1st team, then moving everybody around the next in positions they haven't practiced or know the plays, all while installing the zone blocking system which evidently neither Samkon Gado nor the OL can fathom, Najeh can't stay healthy, and who knows about Ahman, my head is spinning.

It wasn't very encouraging to hear Cliff Christl say Arliss Beach looks like the best back out there.

Wow, talk about starting over at square one.

I really have my doubts about Bob Sanders and Kurt Schottenheimer. To think they can keep the defense at the level Jim Bates had it at looks like a lost cause.

Not to end so negative, bright spots are Rodgers and Jennings. David Martin made a great play.

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
If it makes you feel any better, TT did say last week that we should be surprised if he doesn't bring in O-linemen before the end of training camp. He is looking for people.

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 10:07 PM
What is it with Thompson and these godawful offensive lines?

Ron Wolf said that offensive line was the most important area on the team, because if you didn't have 5 capable lineman, you can't play.

Based on the 2 consecutive sacks and 5 knockdowns of Favre on 12 plays, the 3 sacks, 3 scrambles, and various knockdowns on Rodgers, the 1.6 yards per carry by the RB's, (not including the scrambles), Tauscher's comment that "panic set in" Saturday night, starting 2 untested rookies one week who just got blown off the line and overpowered by SD's 1st team, then moving everybody around the next in positions they haven't practiced or know the plays, all while installing the zone blocking system which evidently neither Samkon Gado nor the OL can fathom, Najeh can't stay healthy, and who knows about Ahman, my head is spinning.

It wasn't very encouraging to hear Cliff Christl say Arliss Beach looks like the best back out there.

Wow, talk about starting over at square one.

I really have my doubts about Bob Sanders and Kurt Schottenheimer. To think they can keep the defense at the level Jim Bates had it at looks like a lost cause.

Not to end so negative, bright spots are Rodgers and Jennings. David Martin made a great play.

I LOVED HIM BATES; I do not love Bob Sanders. He will have to earn my respect and it's very likely he will do less with more talent than Bates had.
They chose him over some very very qualifies candidates and I hope he shows me why.

I hated Kurt Schottenheimer before; I still don't like him and thought he was the lousy hire of the group. Once again I hope I'm wrong.

RIPackerFan
08-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Was College on second team OT? I couldn't find out where he was practicing - only that Moll took his spot on the first team.

If he was - then the coaching staff was building some depth behind Tauscher and trying to send a message.

However, if he was playing OG on the second team - then I would think that is not good for College. When I watched the game (thanks Cali-Cheese), there were several times he was bowled over. Spitz had the better game (from what I saw) so I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff wanted to try someone else - however, if that is the case - I am surprised that it happened so quickly.

Doe
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Unfortunately, I think some of the "experts" were right about Colledge. They said he needed to get stronger to hold the point of attack and its starting to look that way. He will probably do good against a finesse d-tackle like Tommie Harris, but I don't think he will fare too well with Shaun Rogers or Fat Pat Williams.

On the plus side, I was impressed with Spitz. He seemed to hold his own and didn't look lost out there. He also looked slightly more athletic than I remember he did when he played at Louisville.

Looking back on it, I wish Thompson could have resigned Flanny. I think he is athletic enough for the zone blocking scheme and the rookies could've used his leadership. I read somewhere today that the o-line's communication was bad during the game and the center is the quarterback of the o-line. I'm not sure if it is due to have Wells out there or the new scheme, but it couldn't have hurt to have a veteran out there.