PDA

View Full Version : Best TD in Packer history

hoosier
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Which of the following was the best TD in Packer history*?

* Choices limited to 1980-2009. No TD from last year is eligible because only history will be able to judge last year. No TD from pre-1980s is eligible because that was a really long time ago, nothing really happened in the 70s anyway, and nobody is objective enough to remember the Lombardi years without being overcome by nostalgia.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
1989 Instant Replay TD pass from Don Majikowski to Sterling Sharpe to beat the bears

1996 Super Bowl, Favre to Freeman

1996 Desmond Howards TD Kick Return

(2000 or 2001) Packers Vs Minnesota at Lambeau Field, in overtime TD pass from Favre to Freeman

red
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
i like the desmond howard super bowl return

and also the insane catch by freeman, "the he did what catch"

what about robert brooks 99 yard TD against the bears?

or al harris with the pick 6 against the seachickens in the coin flip playoff game?

hoosier
09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Howard's KO return and Brooks's 99 yarder are good additions. I should have thought of those. I didn't include Free's SB catch and run because putting in two choices from the same game just seems wrong. Rightly or wrongly, I ruled out Harris's pick-6 on the grounds that it is forever tainted by what happened a week later. That is probably unfair to Al Harris but who said life is fair?

mmmdk
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I went with instant replay TD by Majik; 14-13 victory over biggest rival - Bears!

Still, Walter Stanleys Thanksgiving TD in 1986 was pretty sweet too in a wild 44-40 comeback win vs Lions.

red
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Howard's KO return and Brooks's 99 yarder are good additions. I should have thought of those. I didn't include Free's SB catch and run because putting in two choices from the same game just seems wrong. Rightly or wrongly, I ruled out Harris's pick-6 on the grounds that it is forever tainted by what happened a week later. That is probably unfair to Al Harris but who said life is fair?

what do you mean, because of what happened the next week?

that was the last game of the season, they canceled the the playoffs after the wildcard round that year if i recall

hoosier
09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
what do you mean, because of what happened the next week?

that was the last game of the season, they canceled the the playoffs after the wildcard round that year if i recall

Amnesia is the best defense.

Packgator
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Starr's QB Sneak in the Ice Bowl.

Raji's TD against the Bears last year.

sheepshead
09-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Starr?("ok run the play and let's get the hell outta here." Vince) McGee hung over? redo the list

Upnorth
09-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I like all of these choices, but would like to see more. Also I wanted to go with rison's due to it coming in a SB, but Howards was better from that game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I went with Majik. But probably Starks' long touchdown run this season is my fave.

Fritz
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
This one, from HowStuffworks. I would like to have seen one of these:

"Don Hutson sprinted toward the end zone as Green Bay's tailback faded back to pass. Four Chicago Bears guarded Hutson as they neared the big "H" goal posts then set on the goal line.

They all crossed the goal line on the dead run, but Hutson's arm shot out and hooked the upright. His body twisted and suddenly he was trotting by himself, in a direction 90 degrees from his previous path. The four Bears were still scrambling to stop their momentum as the Packer passer lobbed a touchdown to a wide-open Hutson."

Guiness
09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
The best Packer TD? Finley's 4th quarter catch last week-end.

The last one is always the best one.

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 03:28 PM
others to consider:

Robert Brooks 99 yarder at Chicago, 1995.

Favre's 36 yard run for a TD at Chicago in that 1994 MNF rain storm

LeRoy Butler takes lateral from Reggie and scores TD against the Raiders in 1993 - then does the first Lambeau leap!

Favre to Morgan 29 yard TD at Jacksonville in 1995. Throwing off balance, off his back foot, moving to his left. Or take the one to Chmura at NE in '97 - 32 yard TD. Similar strike.

Favre scrambling TD pass at St. Louis in '96

pbmax
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Must have video links.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 03:57 PM
others to consider:

LeRoy Butler takes lateral from Reggie and scores TD against the Raiders in 1993 - then does the first Lambeau leap!

Favre to Morgan 29 yard TD at Jacksonville in 1995. Throwing off balance, off his back foot, moving to his left. Or take the one to Chmura at NE in '97 - 32 yard TD. Similar strike.

Favre's first touchdown pass to Kendrick Taylor. I have never seen a ball thrown like that, it was the birth of a legend.

hoosier
09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
This is the worst conceived poll ever. I am going to let the comments accumulate for a few days and then start a new, better poll.

Joemailman
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
To me, the best ones are the ones that won Championships:

Bart Starr QB sneak in Ice Bowl.
Nick Collins INT return against Steelers in Super Bowl.
Desmond Howard Kickoff return in Super Bowl against Patriots

Next are the ones I saw in person:

Al Harris INT against Seahawks in playoff game.
Freeman's "He did what?" catch against Vikings.
Favre 23 yard TD pass to Corey Bradford on 4th and 1 against the Vikings in 1999.

Finally the ones against The Bears:

Chester Marcol TD
Magik to Sharpe.
Brooks 99 yard TD
Raji TD in NFC Title Game.

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Favre's first touchdown pass to Kendrick Taylor. I have never seen a ball thrown like that, it was the birth of a legend.

excellent choice

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Favre 23 yard TD pass to Corey Bradford on 4th and 1 against the Vikings in 1999.

I'd forgotten that one. I think I'll digitize that game tonight and watch it. Simply awesome! It was all the more exciting that it followed the Raiders game comeback and preceded the Tampa comeback - before the '99 season went to shit.

MJZiggy
09-30-2011, 06:04 PM
This is the worst conceived poll ever. I am going to let the comments accumulate for a few days and then start a new, better poll.

Better yet, if everyone gives their comments, we can compile them and make a blog post for the home page.

Smeefers
09-30-2011, 06:43 PM
others to consider:

My favorite was the start of the Lambeau Leap. Leeeeeerrrroooooy!

Brando19
09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Favre to Jennings on the first play in OT to win the game against the Broncos. I can still remember the butterflies.

Partial
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
The Greg Jennings slant against the Chargers week 3 of 2007. That was the very moment I knew it was going to be a special season.

Is it just me, or was the regular season just magical compared to last years run? It may have been the announcers gushing over the gunslinger but from the firemen carry of DD to the lambeau leaps it was a lot of fun.

The Charles Woodson fumble recovery for a TD against the Chiefs.

The record setting TD to Jennings against the Vikes.

Lots of good ones that year.

Pugger
10-01-2011, 07:40 AM
The most memorable TD since the Lombardi era is probably the one Freeman caught on MNF against the queens but I voted for the one by Marcol because back then big TDs were few and far between and I was there! Lambeau went absolutely nuts after that TD. It was also gratifying because we beat those stinkin' bares who were on top of the NFL back then. You would have thought we just won the SB. :lol:

Kiwon
10-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Change the thread title to "Best TD in Packer's Recent History"

Freeman's catch from the list. Favre to Jennings on the first play of overtime on MNF was a keeper as well.

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 10:12 AM
The most memorable TD since the Lombardi era is probably the one Freeman caught on MNF against the queens but I voted for the one by Marcol because back then big TDs were few and far between and I was there! Lambeau went absolutely nuts after that TD. It was also gratifying because we beat those stinkin' bares who were on top of the NFL back then. You would have thought we just won the SB. :lol:

"Best" not "Most Memorable"

I might include - for Best - Nick Collins' INT return versus Colts in 2008 or versus the Vikes the Same year. Those were amazing plays.

DD TD vs. 49ers was awesome last year - but doesn't 'qualify'

hoosier
10-01-2011, 12:54 PM

I might include - for Best - Nick Collins' INT return versus Colts in 2008 or versus the Vikes the Same year. Those were amazing plays.

Nick Collins--don't you mean Aaron Rouse?

mraynrand
10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Nick Collins--don't you mean Aaron Rouse?

Nope - Nick Collins had a 62 yard INT return for a TD as well. The Rouse TD was a straight shot, but the Collins TD was a weaving, juking, masterpiece.

channtheman
10-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Anyone have highlights of the aforementioned TD's?

Pugger
10-01-2011, 06:08 PM

Yes, I know the poll was about "best" but it is hard to label one TD better than the other so I went with memorable - for me.

KalamazooPackerFan
10-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Kitrick Taylor. Talk about the up and down life of an NFL player.....I think it was just a week later we cut him. Still love watching that game, though.