PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Curry on the block

Spaulding
09-30-2011, 11:52 AM
I know TT isn't big into FA signings and you always worry about chemistry when taking on somebody outside the organization but given Curry was expected to be such an OLB propect, wondering if anybody had thoughts on him as a player.

Original draft BIO was the following:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/aaron-curry?id=79842

I haven't watched many Seahawks games over the past couple of years and so wasn't sure if he was purely a bust or just didn't fit Carroll's system and a fresh start might help. Then again, given he was projected in a 4-3 I'm guessing there's little chance he'd be any better than Zombo/Walden/Jones/Soto.

Any wagers what he goes for in compensation? I'm guessing Carroll who seems to be fine with fire sales (see Lawrence Jackson to Detroit) probably would accept as little as a conditional 5th rounder for him.

rbaloha1
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
This would be an interesting pick-up. Unsure if he fits the packers scheme.

Upnorth
09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I think a focus on DL / OL depth should be the pack's priority right now. If curry is not good enough for the seahawks ...

Guiness
09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I think a focus on DL / OL depth should be the pack's priority right now. If curry is not good enough for the seahawks ...

Just because a guy doesn't get it done in one place, doesn't mean he's a wash. Moss wasn't good enough for Oakland before going to NE, remember?

I guess that's probably apples and oranges though. It was a question of whether Moss was a has been - Curry is a 'never was'. I guess the more I think of it, if a player doesn't have some success when he comes into the league, he probably never will.

Are there many examples of a guy being a bust in one place then succeeding elsewhere? Tons of QB's are recycled, most don't amount to much. The only example I can think of is our very own Mandarich!

Brandon494
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
No thanks, we have Soto coming back soon.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I can't wait to rest all our hopes and dreams on a free agent rookie.

red
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
i've been watching this story too. curry was the can't miss, ultimate LBer in that draft class. a class that included orakpo, cm3, cushing, ayers, english. the guy has talent, and it wouldn't surprise me if seatlle just sucks so bad that they've screwed it up with him.

with that said, i don't know how he would fit with us. he isn't much of a blitzer, and his big weakness was his pass coverage

still, for a low round pick, why not. give him to kevin green and see what happens

Upnorth
09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Just because a guy doesn't get it done in one place, doesn't mean he's a wash. Moss wasn't good enough for Oakland before going to NE, remember?

I guess that's probably apples and oranges though. It was a question of whether Moss was a has been - Curry is a 'never was'. I guess the more I think of it, if a player doesn't have some success when he comes into the league, he probably never will.

Are there many examples of a guy being a bust in one place then succeeding elsewhere? Tons of QB's are recycled, most don't amount to much. The only example I can think of is our very own Mandarich!

I hear what you are saying, but shouldn't a player who has talent be treated like gold in that enviroment? That is why I am sceptical of Curry's potential.

Fritz
09-30-2011, 12:31 PM
i've been watching this story too. curry was the can't miss, ultimate LBer in that draft class. a class that included orakpo, cm3, cushing, ayers, english. the guy has talent, and it wouldn't surprise me if seatlle just sucks so bad that they've screwed it up with him.

with that said, i don't know how he would fit with us. he isn't much of a blitzer, and his big weakness was his pass coverage

still, for a low round pick, why not. give him to kevin green and see what happens

Don't we already have enough linebackers like that?

Guiness
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I hear what you are saying, but shouldn't a player who has talent be treated like gold in that enviroment? That is why I am sceptical of Curry's potential.

There seems to have been quite a few highly touted LB's who have washed out these past couple of years. Curry, Maybin, Gholston. With so many NFL teams playing 3-4 now, I wonder if part of the problem is teams expecting players to change positions, and they are unable to? Maybin was a college DE, and so was Orakpo who has had success. You often hear 'projects to an OLB'. Is it a case of tweeners going higher than they should?

Spaulding
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
According to NFL.com, pass coverage was a strength for him at Wake Forrest and I assume he'd be an upgrade over Zombo/Walden/Jones/Soto but the million dollar question is....is he worth giving up a draft choice and/or player, can he project successfully to a 3-4 where he'll be asked to rush the passer far more and what does he do to the team chemistry?

I'm guessing he goes for a 6th straight up and a team like the Lions gamble on him as anybody would be an upgrade over Carpenter for their other OLB. Durant has been solid but they could use upgrade beyond just him.

Fritz
09-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Was he considered a roid guy? Could a lack of roids or HGH be holding him back?

If that's the case, I say don't trade for the guy. If Pete Carroll can't get you steroids or HGH, who can?

mraynrand
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Was he considered a roid guy? Could a lack of roids or HGH be holding him back?

If that's the case, I say don't trade for the guy. If Pete Carroll can't get you steroids or HGH, who can?

You a funny guy Fritz. I like you. That is why I am going to kill you last.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VYgSTY5uD6U/TQa02MYMrkI/AAAAAAAAAjw/3StmbjriS6Y/s1600/Commando%2B2.jpg

Partial
09-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I think this guy could be solid. He was such a highly touted guy. Supposedly can't miss. Certainly athletic enough to take a flyer on for a 5th round or so.

Guiness
09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I think this guy could be solid. He was such a highly touted guy. Supposedly can't miss. Certainly athletic enough to take a flyer on for a 5th round or so.

Ya. Let's grab Vernon Gholston while we're at it. He was going to light it up! One of only 2 players to record a sack against Jake Long in college!

Highly touted and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee in the real world. Not that there's no chance, but the evaluations of 3 years ago are worthless.

Joemailman
09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
The comparison to Gholston is inaccurate. Gholston has been a complete bust, whereas Curry has been a starter, albeit a disappointing one given his draft position. Curry's career can actually be compared to A.J. Hawk, who until last year had been a starter with a lack of big play production. Like Hawk, he might be better at ILB in a 3-4 rather than outside in a 4-3. I don't know if TT would have any interest, but he might be an upgrade over a guy like Francois.