PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson signed to 3 yr extension

digitaldean
10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Just read on Twitter that ESPN reporting Jordy Nelson is getting a 3 year $13.3 million contract extension.

Nice job in securing the future TT! :tup:

channtheman
10-02-2011, 10:08 PM
And some people thought Nelson would be gone...

There is no point in building through the draft if you don't extend the good picks. Luckily TT is the man at that.

pbmax
10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Zoinks! Finley next?

red
10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
nice move. thats #1 and #2 locked up for awhile

digitaldean
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
PBMAX, according Jason Wilde, that's exactly who they're targeting...

Packers4Glory
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
show Fin the money now! get this offense locked in and loaded.

mission
10-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Good for Jordy, good for the Pack... I like.

gbpackfan
10-02-2011, 10:42 PM
LOVE IT! A-Rod to have sick weaponary for years to come! Get Finley locked up next.

Cheesehead Craig
10-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I am loving it how these guys just want to stick around. There's a hell of a lot of loyalty on this Packers team which is outstanding to see.

Partial
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Do Scotty Wells first. He's earned it. Finley has to prove he can stay healthy and keep his mouth shut. I hope his contract has a "don't be a jackass" clause.

rbaloha1
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Outstanding signing at a good price. Yup Finley and Wells await.

RashanGary
10-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Do Scotty Wells first. He's earned it. Finley has to prove he can stay healthy and keep his mouth shut. I hope his contract has a "don't be a jackass" clause.

Agree. Tag Finley.

I'm a little disappointed in his comments after the game, that they need to find ways to get him the ball against double teams. The way Nelson, Jennings (even Cobb now) are playing. . . . I don't see why we should try to force it to Finley against the double team. I absolutely loved those Jennings seam routes. If they line up Finley on the outside and it pulls a safety away from Jennings, OMG, that seam route is ridiculous.

channtheman
10-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Finley still seems a little immature if those are his comments. He will have his games and others will have theirs. The offense runs best when Jennings is getting the ball. When Finley is the focal point (as he was the first 4 games last year) Rodgers and the whole offense seemed out of sync. There was just way too much forcing the ball to Finley in the first four games last year.

Brandon494
10-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Yea let's resign a center first over maybe the best TE in the league. You probably think we should resigned Fylnn over Rodgers too.

gbgary
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
good news. yup...get fin done next.

denverYooper
10-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Yea let's resign a center first over maybe the best TE in the league. You probably think we should resigned Fylnn over Rodgers too.

Did you see what happened to the Jets last night without their starting center?

I want them to get Finley done but I sure hope to hell they get Wells done. I don't give a hoot what order they do it in but everything indicates they're going to see if Finley gets a fair number of starts under the belt this year first.

bobblehead
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM

OMG...I have to give Partial positive rep for this post. I agree that Wells is the cosumate pro. Extend him. Let Finley sweat it a bit and then offer him what he has earned.

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Did you see what happened to the Jets last night without their starting center?

I want them to get Finley done but I sure hope to hell they get Wells done. I don't give a hoot what order they do it in but everything indicates they're going to see if Finley gets a fair number of starts under the belt this year first.

Good point. While everyone is in a good mood lets get contracts done.

bobblehead
10-03-2011, 11:39 AM

This could also read "resign a professional exceptional teammate over someone who still needs to mature a bit".

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 11:42 AM
If the choice is between signing Wells or Finley straight up, I'm laughing out loud at anyone picking Wells. LOL. Seriously: LOL

Patler
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
If the choice is between signing Wells or Finley straight up, I'm laughing out loud at anyone picking Wells. LOL. Seriously: LOL

Considering they don't have a decent center to replace Wells, and they did just fine without Finley last year and have even better receiving options now than in 2010, I would opt for signing Wells over Finley very easily.

I don't know if that is what you consider "straight up" or not, but it is the reality of the Packers situation.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't know if that is what you consider "straight up" or not, but it is the reality of the Packers situation.

Pick one or the other - straight up. LOL

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Considering they don't have a decent center to replace Wells, and they did just fine without Finley last year and have even better receiving options now than in 2010, I would opt for signing Wells over Finley very easily.

This is not a zero-sum game. Plenty of cap room and strategy to sign both. IMO Finley is not Hunt.

Patler
10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Pick one or the other - straight up. LOL

Well, if I was the GM right now and I could take one and only one of Wells and Finley, I would take Wells for the reasons I gave in my previous post. The TE position this year without Finley is better than it was last year without Finley, and with Cobb at WR that position is better than last year, too. Finley is even more of a luxury this year than last.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
This is not a zero-sum game. Plenty of cap room and strategy to sign both. IMO Finley is not Hunt.

Of course you're right. And Wells will likely be a lot cheaper - specifically because he is a center, and you can typically find a center to play close to his level easier than you can find a TE close to Finley - who draws double coverage throughout a game opening up your entire receiveing corps - and if not double-teamed, scores three TDs. Wells is a very good center right now, but IMO not anywhere near as good as Finley at his position.

Given ONLY the choice of Wells or Finley, I'd take Finley.

But I get the point about Wells being uniquely valuable to the Packers.

Still, LOL!

vince
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Sign Finley first I think, although the franchise tag is tempting for a TE at $7 mil (for this year). He's going to need to be signed sooner or later if you want to keep him through his prime years and the sooner the better I think.

There'll be a market out there for an athletic game-changing 24-year-old TE who must be doubled and catches everything that's thrown to him.

There won't be much of a market out there for a 30+ year old undersized center even if he's a good one. You can likely sign Wells after this year at a decent price and carry more of it on next year's cap.

channtheman
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think it's as much of an "LOL" as you are making it out to be mraynrand. Continuity on the O-line can be a big deal. Extend Wells and we have Sherrod, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga for potentially the next 5 years. I like that. Finley is a great player but health and attitude concerns are still there. Obviously get both if you can, but I would sign Wells first as well.

Patler
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Of course it is a zero-sum game. Over time there is no more to spend than the sum of the salary caps for each year. As Bob Harlan said in an interview when he retired, one of the hardest lessons he learned when he first came to GB and was in charge of contracts was that every dollar he gave to one player was a dollar he didn't have available for trying to keep another player at a later time, and that each extra dollar paid to one player upped the expectations for all later players to be signed. It's a zero-sum game, but just a little more complex than dividing a bag of cookies.

Before making Finley the highest paid TE in football, one has to consider that within another year Raji, Matthews, Rodgers and Jennings will all have to be signed again. I truly expect the Packers are entering a phase during which they will have to let a player or two go that they really would like to keep. It happens to all of the young, really good teams. It happened a lot to the Packers under Wolf. I think Finley is the least important of all the players mentioned, not because of his skill, but because of the position he plays.

Deputy Nutz
10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
For the price I will sign Wells because it isn't gonna cost you but 3 million a year, Finley is looking at 5 to7 million a year, and has lost significant amount of time to injury. If you could only sign one, then I would sign Finley based on the fact that Wells is no spring chicken and is going to need replacing at some point.

Patler
10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Of course you're right. And Wells will likely be a lot cheaper - specifically because he is a center, and you can typically find a center to play close to his level easier than you can find a TE close to Finley - who draws double coverage throughout a game opening up your entire receiveing corps - and if not double-teamed, scores three TDs. Wells is a very good center right now, but IMO not anywhere near as good as Finley at his position.

Given ONLY the choice of Wells or Finley, I'd take Finley.

But I get the point about Wells being uniquely valuable to the Packers.

Still, LOL!

Is Finley a better TE than Wells is a center? Sure, not much question about that.
However, the Packers need Wells more than they need Finley.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Is Finley a better TE than Wells is a center? Sure, not much question about that.
However, the Packers need Wells more than they need Finley.

Maybe, but I doubt it. We've seen the Packers without Finley. Last year's Superbowl run wasn't a sure thing at any point. Finley makes the Packers a whole lot more dangerous. Does the line fall apart without Wells? Who knows. I hope we don't find out. But here's a couple of scenarios for you - Do you worry more about Chicago in two years if they have Wells, or if they have Finley? Headlines around the football world: "Packers sign critical cog, center Scott Wells, over expendable Jermichael Finley." Have to think the knowledgeable football guys would be scratching their heads and licking their chops at a chance to sign Finley. LOL. It looks LOL ridiculous.

But, this is a hypothetical, because I don't think circumstances would ever make it come down to a direct choice between the two.

MadScientist
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Don't see what you are complaining about with Finley's comments. He said basically that he likes catching the ball more than being a doubled teamed decoy. He wants to find formation adjustments so he is not double teamed constantly, because when things aren't rolling, he wants to be in a position to put the offense on his shoulders and carry the team. I like that attitude. I'd have more of a problem if he placidly accepted a decoy role.

Sign him before he gets so expensive that it will hurt the Packers chances of extending Rodgers and Mathews.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Of course it is a zero-sum game. Over time there is no more to spend than the sum of the salary caps for each year. As Bob Harlan said in an interview when he retired, one of the hardest lessons he learned when he first came to GB and was in charge of contracts was that every dollar he gave to one player was a dollar he didn't have available for trying to keep another player at a later time, and that each extra dollar paid to one player upped the expectations for all later players to be signed. It's a zero-sum game, but just a little more complex than dividing a bag of cookies.

Before making Finley the highest paid TE in football, one has to consider that within another year Raji, Matthews, Rodgers and Jennings will all have to be signed again. I truly expect the Packers are entering a phase during which they will have to let a player or two go that they really would like to keep. It happens to all of the young, really good teams. It happened a lot to the Packers under Wolf. I think Finley is the least important of all the players mentioned, not because of his skill, but because of the position he plays.

Good post. When you start looking at a whole team structure, you're right. You have to make tough choices - especially when you're a Superbowl champ team, and other lesser GMs invariably overvalue your talent.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Don't see what you are complaining about with Finley's comments. He said basically that he likes catching the ball more than being a doubled teamed decoy. He wants to find formation adjustments so he is not double teamed constantly, because when things aren't rolling, he wants to be in a position to put the offense on his shoulders and carry the team. I like that attitude. I'd have more of a problem if he placidly accepted a decoy role.

Sign him before he gets so expensive that it will hurt the Packers chances of extending Rodgers and Mathews.

Or Raji. This time may be past.

Patler
10-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it. We've seen the Packers without Finley. Last year's Superbowl run wasn't a sure thing at any point. Finley makes the Packers a whole lot more dangerous. Does the line fall apart without Wells? Who knows. I hope we don't find out. But here's a couple of scenarios for you - Do you worry more about Chicago in two years if they have Wells, or if they have Finley? Headlines around the football world: "Packers sign critical cog, center Scott Wells, over expendable Jermichael Finley." Have to think the knowledgeable football guys would be scratching their heads and licking their chops at a chance to sign Finley. LOL. It looks LOL ridiculous.

But, this is a hypothetical, because I don't think circumstances would ever make it come down to a direct choice between the two.

Given the current Packer roster, I'm not so sure that other GMs wouldn't opt for the combination of Wells + Qurraless and friends over the combination of Dietrich-Smith + Finley and friends. The offense doesn't go well without good line calls and performance from the center.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Sign Finley first I think, although the franchise tag is tempting for a TE at $7 mil (for this year). He's going to need to be signed sooner or later if you want to keep him through his prime years and the sooner the better I think.

There'll be a market out there for an athletic game-changing 24-year-old TE who must be doubled and catches everything that's thrown to him.

There won't be much of a market out there for a 30+ year old undersized center even if he's a good one. You can likely sign Wells after this year at a decent price and carry more of it on next year's cap.

This.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Given the current Packer roster, I'm not so sure that other GMs wouldn't opt for the combination of Wells + Qurraless and friends over the combination of Dietrich-Smith + Finley and friends. The offense doesn't go well without good line calls and performance from the center.

That's not really a fair comparison. Because if you get rid of either one, you may not stand pat with what you have. Like I said above, I suspect it is far easier to find someone who can play at 80%-100% of Scott Wells than 80-100% of Finley.

Patler
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
That's not really a fair comparison. Because if you get rid of either one, you may not stand pat with what you have. Like I said above, I suspect it is far easier to find someone who can play at 80%-100% of Scott Wells than 80-100% of Finley.

Ya, I assume TT will go out and sign that replacement FA first thing in the off-season!

Patler
10-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Part of my argument is that if you lose Finley, you are OK with what you have. You were last year, and the existing options are better both at TE and at WR than they were last year.

If you lose Wells, are you content with Dietrich-Smith? I doubt it. Losing Wells would likely require further roster adjustments.

RashanGary
10-03-2011, 01:12 PM
There are two other factors I thought of.

1. Do they see Finley as unstable, hard to handle?
2. Larry Fitzgerald makes 15 million per year. Top TE is 7. Finley has WR type effect at TE price.

The thing that kind if irks me about Finley. . . . He went off and lost weight, worked on being a WR, said he was going to stand up more. . . . Jennings has been playing the lone weakside wide receiver position for however many years he's been here for the most part. He's drawn doubles for a really long time. He's so detailed and in tune with Rodgers, he's been able to dominate with that type of attention paid to him. Finley gets tossed on the outside, exactly where he wants to be and now he's whining because he's getting double coverage and they're not throwing to him. One friggin game and he's whining. Talent or not, we won the SB without him. Jennings is a pro. He'll be around for a while. Nelson is turning into a hell-of-a WR. Cobb looks fantastic at first glance. We have a couple young TE's with high potential. If Finley is a diva, I don't know that he's worth the headache. Resign Clay Matthews with that money, then Extend Rodgers. If Finley is selfish, if he's not happy with 4-0, 73% completion percentage, record scoring. . . . . Maybe he's not the right guy here. When AR and MM were appeasing Finley last year, we were losing games, throwing picks into double coverage and stumbling on offense. Bah, he's great and all, but we have a lot of great players. It's not worth it if he fucks up hte offense with his selfish demands.

To be quite honest, the couple snaps Cobb had inside, he looked as (or more) dangerous than Finley. Maybe Finley can go up and get it, but Cobb looks like he's going to be a Jennings-esque route runner so he doesn't need to fight for the ball. Great route runners get open, the way Jennings does. And I like Cobbs chances at breaking a long TD better than Finley. I love Finley's talent, I'm just sick of hearing him talk. I don't want him here with that attitude.

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM

2. Larry Fitzgerald makes 15 million per year. Top TE is 7. Finley has WR type effect at TE price.

The thing that kind if irks me about Finley. . . . He went off and lost weight, worked on being a WR, said he was going to stand up more. . . . Jennings has been playing the lone weakside wide receiver position for however many years he's been here for the most part. He's drawn doubles for a really long time. He's so detailed and in tune with Rodgers, he's been able to dominate with that type of attention paid to him. Finley gets tossed on the outside, exactly where he wants to be and now he's whining because he's getting double coverage and they're not throwing to him. One friggin game and he's whining. Talent or not, we won the SB without him. Jennings is a pro. He'll be around for a while. Nelson is turning into a hell-of-a WR. Cobb looks fantastic at first glance. We have a couple young TE's with high potential. If Finley is a diva, I don't know that he's worth the headache. Resign Clay Matthews with that money, then Extend Rodgers. If Finley is selfish, if he's not happy with 4-0, 73% completion percentage, record scoring. . . . . Maybe he's not the right guy here. When AR and MM were appeasing Finley last year, we were losing games, throwing picks into double coverage and stumbling on offense. Bah, he's great and all, but we have a lot of great players. It's not worth it if he fucks up hte offense with his selfish demands.

To be quite honest, the couple snaps Cobb had inside, he looked as (or more) dangerous than Finley. Maybe Finley can go up and get it, but Cobb looks like he's going to be a Jennings-esque route runner so he doesn't need to fight for the ball. Great route runners get open, the way Jennings does. And I like Cobbs chances at breaking a long TD better than Finley. I love Finley's talent, I'm just sick of hearing him talk. I don't want him here with that attitude.

plus finley is a great decoy as we found out against the broncos.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Well put, and to get back to the original topic, Nelson's signing, this is something that bothers me a bit. With this and Jones' contract, we're essentially paying $3mil/year for our #3 and #4 receivers. That seems like a lot in a league where the average salary is about $1.5mil/year (maybe more importantly, the median salary is still under $1million, I believe). Non-starting receivers don't generally make double the average. I know with the offense we run, these guys are closer to starters, the same as our nickle DB. When you put it in the light of a zero-sum game, what does it mean that two guys that are closer to the bottom of the roster than the top are making that money?

Patler
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Well put, and to get back to the original topic, Nelson's signing, this is something that bothers me a bit. With this and Jones' contract, we're essentially paying $3mil/year for our #3 and #4 receivers. That seems like a lot in a league where the average salary is about $1.5mil/year (maybe more importantly, the median salary is still under $1million, I believe). Non-starting receivers don't generally make double the average. I know with the offense we run, these guys are closer to starters, the same as our nickle DB. When you put it in the light of a zero-sum game, what does it mean that two guys that are closer to the bottom of the roster than the top are making that money?

I'm not too concerned about it. I expect that next year they will be the #2 and #3 receivers, and Driver will be gone. Besides, these are short term contracts (3 years) with not a lot of bonus money. Anytime there is a viable cheaper alternative than the current salary, they can simply release the player with little impact to the salary cap. It would also make them relatively easy to trade, signed to a lower cost, short term contract. For example, if Cobb develops well as a receiver, Jones could be a good trade value since a team getting him would have him for two years but at a not outrageous cost.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I think both Jones and Finley are nods to the eventual release of Driver. So that is one WR at premium dollars, plus two slightly above mid-priced vets who are great complements. Something I am curious about, and hope never to find out, is whether Jones and Nelson could be #1 and 2 successfully on their own. Though Cobb in the slot with those two might give me hope.

Its hard to argue that the team couldn't be successful without Finley, but last year was a struggle at a lot of times without him. Part of that was the running game and Tauscher plus four games where it seems Rodgers was affected by a concussion (Redksins, Dolphins, Lions, Pats). But a lot of the time it was a lack of a sure thing on 3rd down.

I think it would be a matter of time to replace Wells and line calls. It might take someone harder to find to reach block as well as he does, but again, the Packers don't do anything in the run game that is unheard of elsewhere.

Short term losing Wells probably makes the Packers look like the Jets last night. But longer term, the offense has to morph again without Finley and that puts more pressure on Rodgers.

smuggler
10-03-2011, 02:19 PM
You have to remember that our 3/4 WRs see the field a lot more than other teams' 3/4 WRs. In terms of dollar/production, maybe you have a point, but dollar/ability, these are bargain signings, honestly.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not too concerned about it. I expect that next year they will be the #2 and #3 receivers, and Driver will be gone. Besides, these are short term contracts (3 years) with not a lot of bonus money. Anytime there is a viable cheaper alternative than the current salary, they can simply release the player with little impact to the salary cap. It would also make them relatively easy to trade, signed to a lower cost, short term contract. For example, if Cobb develops well as a receiver, Jones could be a good trade value since a team getting him would have him for two years but at a not outrageous cost.

The salaries however do relate to other comments about having to make choices at some point. Because of our O, these guys are important, so some money is spent there, and I happen to like that choice. Does it mean we may come up short somewhere else?

Something that helps us is the lack of dead money the Pack has on the books. Is there any right now? Maybe a little from Barnett, he had 2 years left on his contract. It's a lot worse to have guys not on your roster chewing up the space than guys who are actually taking the field!

Patler
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Its hard to argue that the team couldn't be successful without Finley, but last year was a struggle at a lot of times without him. Part of that was the running game and Tauscher plus four games where it seems Rodgers was affected by a concussion (Redksins, Dolphins, Lions, Pats). But a lot of the time it was a lack of a sure thing on 3rd down.

I think it would be a simple matter of time to replace Wells and line calls. It might take someone harder to find to reach block as well as he does, but again, the Packers don't do anything in the run game that is unheard of elsewhere.

Short term losing Wells probably makes the Packers look like the Jets last night. But longer term, the offense has to morph again without Finley and that puts more pressure on Rodgers.

I suspect there will be struggles at times this year, too. But Quarless should be better than he was last year, and Cobb brings a lot more to the offense than Swain did. MM would just have to get creative again if they lose Finley, but he would have more weapons to do it with than he did in the middle of the season last year. Somehow, I can't help but think they are planning to go on without Finley, with all of the TEs kept this year. A lot will depend on how they feel about Quarrless (or others) by the end of the year (and whether Finley has been available for 15 or 16 of the games).

If Spitz had held up, and/or McDonald had progressed as hoped, Wells would have been an afterthought in their roster planning. But they seem to be starting over at finding a replacement, unless Sampson Genus turns out to be the one.

Smeefers
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM

I never thought I'd hear something like this from you JH. You gotta be pissed at the dude. I agree though, Mathews over Finley.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I have nearly forgotten about Quarless. Crabtree is out there all the time to block, but Quarless sightings have been few and far between.

Not sure about the stable of TEs. Taylor I believe was mainly targeted to help ST. Offense is optional with him for a year or two. DJ Williams has had a few snaps, but not much. He is a different type of receiver altogether.

A sturdier Quarless and Cobb might make the transition easier this year, yes. But I will be surprised if they don't offer Finley a market value deal.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
JH, Finley spent considerably time outside last year too. Not much has changed, if at all.

Patler
10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
The salaries however do relate to other comments about having to make choices at some point. Because of our O, these guys are important, so some money is spent there, and I happen to like that choice. Does it mean we may come up short somewhere else?

Something that helps us is the lack of dead money the Pack has on the books. Is there any right now? Maybe a little from Barnett, he had 2 years left on his contract. It's a lot worse to have guys not on your roster chewing up the space than guys who are actually taking the field!

Sure, every salary relates to every other salary, so it could be an issue. But these guys are on the field a lot, so I think it is money well-spent. After the starters and 3rd cornerback, they might be the most important positions.

Besides, Jones might just be keeping some money warm for Finley this year!

Patler
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I have nearly forgotten about Quarless. Crabtree is out there all the time to block, but Quarless sightings have been few and far between.

Not sure about the stable of TEs. Taylor I believe was mainly targeted to help ST. Offense is optional with him for a year or two. DJ Williams has had a few snaps, but not much. He is a different type of receiver altogether.

A sturdier Quarless and Cobb might make the transition easier this year, yes. But I will be surprised if they don't offer Finley a market value deal.

I really wish there was good salary cap data available like there had been before the uncapped year. It used to be really easy to look ahead a year or two to see what might be available for signing players. When I think about having to sign Raji, Matthews, Rodgers and Jennings in the following year, Finley just starts looking less important by next year.

They'll never find another Finley on their current roster, but the question is if they really have to, or if they can simply do something different.

mmmdk
10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Jordy Nelson is a great signing/extension at a fair price; Cobb is the future # 2 WR and Packers know this. The Finley extension will be a big hurdle and might get too expensive when all is said and done. I do hope the latter gets resolved as well.

retailguy
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Ya, I assume TT will go out and sign that replacement FA first thing in the off-season!

HILARIOUS. And so true...

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe he'll do something crazy like drafting someone to replace a veteran. Nah, that won't work.

ThunderDan
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM

But drafting at the end of round 1 can bring a lot of quality Cs into play. Look at Pouncey on PITT and the center from WI Konz might be there in that range after this year.

ThunderDan
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
But drafting at the end of round 1 can bring a lot of quality Cs into play. Look at Pouncey on PITT and the center from WI Konz might be there in that range after this year.

OK not really a lot. More like 1 or 2 a year.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I really wish there was good salary cap data available like there had been before the uncapped year. It used to be really easy to look ahead a year or two to see what might be available for signing players. When I think about having to sign Raji, Matthews, Rodgers and Jennings in the following year, Finley just starts looking less important by next year.

They'll never find another Finley on their current roster, but the question is if they really have to, or if they can simply do something different.

The only number I have committed to memory is that they expect to be above $160 million after 2014 and the new TV deals.

Brandon494
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Well, if I was the GM right now and I could take one and only one of Wells and Finley, I would take Wells for the reasons I gave in my previous post. The TE position this year without Finley is better than it was last year without Finley, and with Cobb at WR that position is better than last year, too. Finley is even more of a luxury this year than last.

LOL you would pick Bush over Finley.

Patler
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
The only number I have committed to memory is that they expect to be above $160 million after 2014 and the new TV deals.

I meant information regarding every player's contracts. The cap limit is easy to find, and individual player contracts as they are signed, but I'm too lazy to put it all together in a spreadsheet. I always relied on others to do that! Many had done it for years and years, to the point that there information was amazingly accurate.

I suspect they lost touch of accurate information last year, when contract details weren't always well reported.

Patler
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Could very well happen.

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I meant information regarding every player's contracts. The cap limit is easy to find, and individual player contracts as they are signed, but I'm too lazy to put it all together in a spreadsheet. I always relied on others to do that! Many had done it for years and years, to the point that there information was amazingly accurate.

I suspect they lost touch of accurate information last year, when contract details weren't always well reported.http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/gb/packers

They do not keep a running total, but they do have a lot of information.

Patler
10-03-2011, 05:01 PM
LOL you would pick Bush over Finley.

Aw come on, you know better than that. But I do try to consider what is needed for a complete roster, and sometimes that means letting good players go, like Adam Timmerman, Bryce Paup and maybe Jermichael Finley. It all depends what you have without them. It's prioritization.

I like having Finley on the team, and if the Packers had WRs like they did during Sherman's years I would want Finley a lot more than I do now. But with their current makeup, he is a luxury more than a necessity.

If they can find a way to keep him, I will be very happy. But if they keep him, and then can't find enough cap space for Raji, or Matthews, or Jennings I will not be very pleased. They are a better team with Finley, but not at the expense of many of the others.

Patler
10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/gb/packers

They do not keep a running total, but they do have a lot of information.

Thanks. I suspect someone will start compiling it all into current and future year totals, but right now no one seems to be doing it very much.

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 05:10 PM
It is not in TT's M.O. to let a dynamic player in his prime get away. The salary cap will be going up. I think they'll keep all their top players. I could see them cutting a guy like James Jones in order to keep Wells.

Brandon494
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Bottom line our chances of becoming a dynasty team are higher with Finley on the team over Wells. Also we'll have enough cap to resign all those guys, you have to take guys like Clifton, Driver, Pickett, and maybe even Woodson off the books by the time they need to be resigned.

Patler
10-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I could see them cutting a guy like James Jones in order to keep Wells.

I can see that too, which is why I wrote in one post that Jones might just be keeping Finley's money warm this year. If Cobb keeps coming on like he has, and, more importantly, keeps himself in one piece while returning kicks, Jones could be a decent trade commodity next spring. Not that they will get a lot for him, but he would be worth something to a receiver-starved team.

Brandon494
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't think they'll end up trading Jones but I could see them cutting Driver if he does not take a pay cut.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM

I bet he could sign that Scott Wells guy for peanuts

wpony
10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
I like wells but depending on how high he goes I hope we can pick up the center from WI Konz in the draft he is a great blocker and can pull block for the sweeps like no center I have seen in along time he is big but not fat solid muscle and fast and with his athleticism I bet he could play other positions if needed but I think he could push wells for his spot with in a yr or 2.

Upnorth
10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I like wells but depending on how high he goes I hope we can pick up the center from WI Konz in the draft he is a great blocker and can pull block for the sweeps like no center I have seen in along time he is big but not fat solid muscle and fast and with his athleticism I bet he could play other positions if needed but I think he could push wells for his spot with in a yr or 2.

If this is an accurate assesment then I really hope we do get him. Versitility in a backup olineman and eventual replacement to a very underrated center. That would be a great gift to this organization

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't think they'll end up trading Jones but I could see them cutting Driver if he does not take a pay cut.

Agreed -- DD needs to accept veterans minimum. Already made his money.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/h/homer_simpson-12447.gif

rbaloha1
10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I bet he could sign that Scott Wells guy for peanuts

No way. Wells is having a pro bowl season.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 07:50 PM

You must've taken a DEEP breath before typing that.

Punctuation, my friend!

Guiness
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I can see that too, which is why I wrote in one post that Jones might just be keeping Finley's money warm this year. If Cobb keeps coming on like he has, and, more importantly, keeps himself in one piece while returning kicks, Jones could be a decent trade commodity next spring. Not that they will get a lot for him, but he would be worth something to a receiver-starved team.

I would like to agree with this, but what happened this fall, honestly, startled me.

Why didn't Jones get some sniffs? The FA period was short, but frantic with a fair number of signings. I think many of us expected someone to throw at least #2WR money at him, but I didn't hear about any other offers.The way this season is playing out, he doesn't seem to be getting many looks. That could change if DD is out for a while, of course, but as it is right now, he's looking at a very bad year, statistically.

bobblehead
10-03-2011, 07:56 PM

But you understand that isn't what we are saying. We are saying extend Wells first.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
But you understand that isn't what we are saying. We are saying extend Wells first.

I think it should be clear that I'm talking about their relative value. I happen to think Finley is much more valuable and will be harder to replace. Patler made some good arguments to the reverse, but I still don't agree. Patler and others already pointed out - and it's obvious - that signing these guys is an integrated process that has a lot of moving parts; the straight up comparison is for entertainment purposes only.

I probably shouldn't have said I'm LOL at the person picking Wells, but the IDEA of picking Wells. I don't need another beat down from Patler.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Jordy Nelson is a great signing/extension at a fair price; Cobb is the future # 2 WR and Packers know this. The Finley extension will be a big hurdle and might get too expensive when all is said and done. I do hope the latter gets resolved as well.

I'm not sure. I could see him getting similar playing time, but I see Cobb as more of a inside/slot/#3 receiver. Jordy on the outside. I like Cobb for the role I see him having, but I don't think he'll be another Jennings. Even though Jennings is small, he can play outside regularly. Cobb is a poor man's Percy Harvin. Harvin is a great slot guy, but he's no better than average when you put him on the outside.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Finley is 24. Wells is on the wrong side of 30, right? Also, I think it would be much easier to find another Wells. Decent starting OCs aren't all that hard to find. Game changing TEs are. Just look at the Packers. They were terrible for many years, but have had decent starting OCs for the better part of 30 years or more. McCarren, Winters, Flanagan, Wells, etc.

swede
10-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I can see that too, which is why I wrote in one post that Jones might just be keeping Finley's money warm this year.

If I'd thought of a line that good I'd trot it out more than once also.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure. I could see him getting similar playing time, but I see Cobb as more of a inside/slot/#3 receiver. Jordy on the outside. I like Cobb for the role I see him having, but I don't think he'll be another Jennings. Even though Jennings is small, he can play outside regularly. Cobb is a poor man's Percy Harvin. Harvin is a great slot guy, but he's no better than average when you put him on the outside.

I see Cobb being a DD replacement, going over the middle and making those catches that you can't make if you hear footsteps.

Jennings stays on the outside, and Nelson runs those seem routes.

CaliforniaCheez
10-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Remember when the Governor of Kansas declared Jordy Nelson Day?
http://www.kmbc.com/2011/0218/26913199_240X180.jpg
http://www.kmbc.com/r/26902736/detail.html

Everybody loves Jordy!
http://houston.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2011-02-06/jordy_nelson.350w_263h.jpg

http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-538365-jordy-nelson-aaron-rodgers-autographed-hand-signed-green-bay-packers-sports-illustrated-da-817.jpg

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/mycountry955.com/files/2011/02/Green-Bay-Packer-Jordy-Nelson-300x200.jpg

https://maniacjoe.com/products/JORDY_NELSON_aanf006.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CotBYlX8vUU/TVDCWHO0jpI/AAAAAAAAAAw/mNoKU17-otM/s1600/alg_jordy_nelson_interception.jpg

Kiwon
10-04-2011, 06:47 AM
So Jordy's got his $5 million in guaranteed money. That kind of cash might change some players but I think there is little chance of that with Jordy Nelson. He'll earn his keep.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
It will be about money, first and foremost. Ted isn't signing a center to a blockbuster contract. Even Sitton took less than top of the market money. Wells signs if his expectation is Driver-like. A serviceable, non-embarrassing veteran contract with cash upfront to sweeten the deal. He would get more money than Lang or Newhouse, but less than Clifton, Bulaga, Sherrod and Sitton.

I may be undervaluing him, but this is not where you spend. Draft and develop. Then sign Finley, Raji and Matthews. Then Rodgers.

Patler
10-04-2011, 09:06 AM
It will be about money, first and foremost. Ted isn't signing a center to a blockbuster contract. Even Sitton took less than top of the market money. Wells signs if his expectation is Driver-like. A serviceable, non-embarrassing veteran contract with cash upfront to sweeten the deal. He would get more money than Lang or Newhouse, but less than Clifton, Bulaga, Sherrod and Sitton.

I may be undervaluing him, but this is not where you spend. Draft and develop. Then sign Finley, Raji and Matthews. Then Rodgers.

No one has suggested a blockbuster deal for Wells. The problem with your scenario is that it is too late to "draft and develop" Wells' replacement, unless you can do it with Dietrich-Smith or with Sampson Genus. He can't rely on having a rookie good enough to start because he will likely have to make a decision on Wells before the 2012 draft. TT might be in a bit of a corner with the need to re-sign Wells or another veteran center to at least a short term contract. He is more likely to do that with Wells than with an "outsider".

denverYooper
10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
No one has suggested a blockbuster deal for Wells. The problem with your scenario is that it is too late to "draft and develop" Wells' replacement, unless you can do it with Dietrich-Smith or with Sampson Genus. He can't rely on having a rookie good enough to start because he will likely have to make a decision on Wells before the 2012 draft. TT might be in a bit of a corner with the need to re-sign Wells or another veteran center to at least a short term contract. He is more likely to do that with Wells than with an "outsider".

I don't see Wells looking for a blockbuster deal, either. My guess is that something gets worked out in season and relatively quietly before a Finley contract. It has nothing to do with choosing Wells over Finley, but more to do with his years of service, fit, and my belief that he'll be willing to take a discount to stay with this team.

The Packers right now can right now provide a bonus in their elite status, especially to these guys who have come up in the system and make the team what it is. Guys understand that they will be part of a team that has a good chance to contend for the Superbowl for the next few years and they've been in on the ground floor of that. It's not unlike getting compensated in stock options when someone takes a job at an up-and-coming company.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Thompson has done it before. Colledge and Spitz took over as rookies and went to the NFC Championship game. The year before, he signed two free agents (or was Klemm a trade?) to start.

This team is in a different place. But I don't think this is either the position or the player who will change that approach. I suspect his offer will be in a certain ballpark and Wells will wait it out to see what else comes along if he doesn't think it's close enough to market. Like Sitton, he is either going to get a just off the market deal, or he will need to test the market.

Joemailman
10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Thompson has done it before. Colledge and Spitz took over as rookies and went to the NFC Championship game. The year before, he signed two free agents (or was Klemm a trade?) to start.

This team is in a different place. But I don't think this is either the position or the player who will change that approach. I suspect his offer will be in a certain ballpark and Wells will wait it out to see what else comes along if he doesn't think it's close enough to market. Like Sitton, he is either going to get a just off the market deal, or he will need to test the market.

Just to be sure, Klemm was a FA in 2005. Colledge and Spitz started as rookies in 2006. NFC Championship was 2007.

My question with Wells is how much of a chip he still has on his shoulder over the fact that the Packers basically handed Spitz his job a couple of years ago. I think he still probably wants to stay with the Packers, but may not be inclined to take less than the best deal he can get just to stay here.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Colledge and Spitz started as rookies in 2006. NFC Championship was 2007.

Matt O'Dwyer was the other guard acquisition. An yes, I did forget the newbies were sophomores in 2007.

MadtownPacker
10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
The dude grew up on a farm, enough said!

Great deal for all.

Patler
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM

I don't think we have said anything different. However, with this team already a contender, TT isn't as likely to leave a position to chance as he was in 2006 when they were clearly in a rebuilding phase. Obviously, TT will let rookies start, he has done it many times when they earn it, but I can't see him going into the 2012 draft essentially naked at the position, because he won't know if he can find a center in the draft or not, and by then the bulk of FAs will be signed.

Of course, if he has more faith in EDS or Genus than I think he does, he may be comfortable with them instead of Wells.

Guiness
10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I'd like to see Wells back - he's done yeoman's work there. Next year will be EDS's fourth year in the league, so you'd like to think he could start, but maybe he's nothing more than a career backup.

I'd forgotten about O'Dwyer. Did he make it out of camp? I don't remember him being on the field during the regular season.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't think we have said anything different. However, with this team already a contender, TT isn't as likely to leave a position to chance as he was in 2006 when they were clearly in a rebuilding phase. Obviously, TT will let rookies start, he has done it many times when they earn it, but I can't see him going into the 2012 draft essentially naked at the position, because he won't know if he can find a center in the draft or not, and by then the bulk of FAs will be signed.

Of course, if he has more faith in EDS or Genus than I think he does, he may be comfortable with them instead of Wells.

Well, you know what it means when there isn't a replacement immediately apparent on the roster. Draft pick and Franckenbacker. :lol:

I don't know. Thompson is not as cut and dried as many believe. He has resigned players I expected him to let walk and in the case of Jenkins he followed through (Clearly counting on Neal). Frankly, I could see him doing either. Would only be stunned if he (as with Grant and Clifton before) gave in to a bigger than budgeted deal.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I'd like to see Wells back - he's done yeoman's work there. Next year will be EDS's fourth year in the league, so you'd like to think he could start, but maybe he's nothing more than a career backup.

I'd forgotten about O'Dwyer. Did he make it out of camp? I don't remember him being on the field during the regular season.

He was finished, but not sure if he was on the roster at all during the season. He lost out to Whitticker.

Smeefers
10-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Yes, TT always leaves positions to Chance. Why else would we have 14 TE's on the roster and another 7 on the practice squad? The other outside linebacker opposite Clay is a joke no matter who you put in there. I don't think there's any big upgrade from Walden to So'to or Zombo. They're all the same non-existent couldn't make the team last year guys who just take up a spot on the defense. Our DE depth is suspect too. Everyone raise there hand who thought Jarius Wynn would be our starting back and that everyone would be waing with baited breath for the super freak injury prone player to return who we've rarely actually seen play and that this guy would magically fix all our pass rushing woes.

Listen, I'm not bagging on the guy just to do it. He's shown consistant flaws through the course of his tenure here. Luckily, in football, you don't have to be perfect. TT is way better at this than I am. I look over stuff 3 or 4 times a week, but hell, my main focus of football information is... oh god... you guys. <vomits>

Anyway, I'm just saying that I don't think TT would flinch at putting in Dietrich-Smith or some rookie he drafts next year if that's what he thinks is best for the team. Our team isn't the kind that all of sudden signs 4 vets to make a super bowl push. Our team is constantly in the rebuilding, retooling stage. It keeps us young and fresh and there's some good points to that and there's some bad points to it, but that's the way TT decided to go.

Patler
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM

He was finished, but not sure if he was on the roster at all during the season. He lost out to Whitticker.

O'Dwyer was signed to a minimum contract just to see if maybe he had anything left. He came to camp a beaten up shell of the guy who had started 100 games in the NFL. He was released during camp, I think at the first cutdown.

Not only did he not make the roster, he was one of the guys who, after TT gave him a chance for one more season, turned around and filed a grievance, arguing that he was injured in camp and was released while injured. He asked for his salary just like Hunt and Couch did. As I recall, the Packers settled for a very small amount with O'Dwyer, but, since the grievance had been filed, for a while they had to carry is contract on their books for cap purposes.

HarveyWallbangers
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
It seems like you can normally get a decent OC most years--either by signing a veteran at a position that teams don't want to spend a lot of money at or by drafting a top 2 OC prospect at the end of the first round. It seems that's the range that the top OCs usually fall.

Guiness
10-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I'd forgotten about that Patler - he did file a grievance.

HW - OC's don't always come cheap, and don't seem to move around that much. The Texans paid Flanagan what amounted to a lot. How much did Guerode, the guy from Dallas get in FA?

Upnorth
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
When it comes to other resignings, I have faith that TT will do what is right. His only kinda mistakes are Jenkins (thought Neal would replace him) and Ryan. He has a phenominal record. I hope he does resign them all, but if he has to pick and choose, I trust him to make the right choices much better than I could.

pbmax
10-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd forgotten about that Patler - he did file a grievance.

HW - OC's don't always come cheap, and don't seem to move around that much. The Texans paid Flanagan what amounted to a lot. How much did Guerode, the guy from Dallas get in FA?

I thought Dallas released him? He's in Baltimore with Birk and playing Guard.

denverYooper
10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Packers.com had this up yesterday, breakdowns of the Jordy and Jennings TDs.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Anatomy-of-a-Play-Rodgers-vs-Denver/12ad3de9-eae2-4401-b398-8c42d130fcd0

A few things jumped out at me.
1.) I wish we could see those camera angles on TV replays!
2.) Rodgers delivery has gotten even more compact. He must have some hellish core workout. He threw that 50 yarder like some guys throw 15.
3.) Jennings was wide open simply because Finley was lined up next to him. Even the deep safety looked like he was looking at Finley. There's more analysis involved, of course, but damn! He basically took 2 S and the CB out of the play.

Anyhow, point #3 is why I think they are going to try very hard to re-sign Finley if he stays healthy. Of course, they did win the SB without him but he sure makes a lot of people's jobs easier. He's like the Revis of TEs right now -- he might not get as many flashy plays as others (*cough* calvin johnson *cough*) but his presence forces the other team to deal with him.

Upnorth
10-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Finley definatley makes our O better and I hope he gets resigned, he is probably one of the top 3 or 4 TE's in the league. I just hope he does not try to break the bank.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Packers.com had this up yesterday, breakdowns of the Jordy and Jennings TDs.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Anatomy-of-a-Play-Rodgers-vs-Denver/12ad3de9-eae2-4401-b398-8c42d130fcd0

A few things jumped out at me.
1.) I wish we could see those camera angles on TV replays!
2.) Rodgers delivery has gotten even more compact. He must have some hellish core workout. He threw that 50 yarder like some guys throw 15.
3.) Jennings was wide open simply because Finley was lined up next to him. Even the deep safety looked like he was looking at Finley. There's more analysis involved, of course, but damn! He basically took 2 S and the CB out of the play.

Anyhow, point #3 is why I think they are going to try very hard to re-sign Finley if he stays healthy. Of course, they did win the SB without him but he sure makes a lot of people's jobs easier. He's like the Revis of TEs right now -- he might not get as many flashy plays as others (*cough* calvin johnson *cough*) but his presence forces the other team to deal with him.

Based on Finley's comments, he's not happy to see situation #3 go on too long. He doesn't want to be the guy drawing attention and pulling the coverage, he wants to be the guy getting the ball. Thing is, he may not be ball now, allowing others to, but if Jennings and Nelson have 100yard days, coverage will roll to them and give him his opportunities. Hopefully, someone can make him understand the ebb and flow of situations like that.

His comments after the game bother me, they have a 'what have you done for me lately' feel to them. He got 3 TD's the week before, Denver decided to game plan for him. Big surprise. Take it as a compliment.

mraynrand
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
PAnyhow, point #3 is why I think they are going to try very hard to re-sign Finley if he stays healthy. Of course, they did win the SB without him but he sure makes a lot of people's jobs easier. He's like the Revis of TEs right now -- he might not get as many flashy plays as others (*cough* calvin johnson *cough*) but his presence forces the other team to deal with him.

Scott Wells draws triple coverage all the time. Get him signed first! j/k Patler! :lol:

Guiness
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Scott Wells draws triple coverage all the time. Get him signed first! j/k Patler! :lol:

Wells is triple covered? What, has he got spagetti sauce, rib sauce and chocolate ice cream on his shirt again?

Upnorth
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Wells is triple covered? What, has he got spagetti sauce, rib sauce and chocolate ice cream on his shirt again?

I think its his bed, I heard he gets cold when he sleeps.

mraynrand
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM

funny. But seriously, the guy is playing well - pun intended. He's in a zone - PI - where he's calling the protections and helping the guards just the right amount. Can't wait to see the interior line do battle with the Lions' defensive front.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 10:15 AM
funny. But seriously, the guy is playing well - pun intended. He's in a zone - PI - where he's calling the protections and helping the guards just the right amount. Can't wait to see the interior line do battle with the Lions' defensive front.

Is Fairley playing? He was hurt, is he back?

ND72
10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Based on Finley's comments, he's not happy to see situation #3 go on too long. He doesn't want to be the guy drawing attention and pulling the coverage, he wants to be the guy getting the ball. Thing is, he may not be ball now, allowing others to, but if Jennings and Nelson have 100yard days, coverage will roll to them and give him his opportunities. Hopefully, someone can make him understand the ebb and flow of situations like that.

His comments after the game bother me, they have a 'what have you done for me lately' feel to them. He got 3 TD's the week before, Denver decided to game plan for him. Big surprise. Take it as a compliment.

This is what makes Green Bay a bitch to play against. You're gonna take Finley away, ok, TD Jennings. You're gonna take Jennings away, ok, TD Finley. If you take both, oh, Nelson, Driver, Jones, and Cobb, hello! Thompson and McCarthy have done what Wolf wish he had done, give his franchise weapons around him. I still feel as if Jones might be traded next off season...he's not happy, duh, but there was no market for him. His contract isn't a killer for a team, and I really think Cobb is gonna be scary good. I will take Jennings, Nelson and Cobb as my top 3. Give Finley some cash and keep him here, and yikes. I like Starks and Alex Green, and Grant is still productive obviously. If DJ Williams develops, or Quarless, we're freaking creepy for years.

mraynrand
10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Is Fairley playing? He was hurt, is he back?

Didn't play against Dallas. I think he is supposed to practice this week.

denverYooper
10-05-2011, 11:06 AM

I was just coming in to post pretty much the same thing. By many accounts his smarts are a big key to the effectiveness of their protection. Also, I agree 100% about the Lions -- I'm pretty excited to see how they play that game. If they neutralize that group, the Packers offense will eat up the field.

Cheesehead Craig
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM

Finley's on pace for a what, 70 rec 1000 yd season with likely 10 TDs? How much more production does he want?

MadScientist
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM

This was the first time a team really went all out to take Finely out of the game. Finley didn't like the decoy role, but the results were such a failure that there is no reason to expect that strategy to continue week after week. No defensive coordinator will look at the Denver game for strategy on what to do to stop the Packers.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
This was the first time a team really went all out to take Finely out of the game. Finley didn't like the decoy role, but the results were such a failure that there is no reason to expect that strategy to continue week after week. No defensive coordinator will look at the Denver game for strategy on what to do to stop the Packers.

lol, true that.

Denver looked at the week before, and said "we have to stop Finley". Reasonable conclusion.

But no one is going to look at the Denver game and think what Denver did was a good idea!

Smeefers
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
This is what Finley said:
"For sure, they took me out of the game. I don't know what I came out with, but hopefully we can go back and dial something up for the double teams. We've got to have something for it. We'll have to go back, not being selfish or nothing, but go back and dial up something so you can get yourplay makerr the ball in games like that when it's close."

I just don't see this as being that big of a deal. Not this year anyways. He's just looking to inflate his stats for free agency. And if you guys think we're actually going to keep Finley, you better start preparing yourselves to be disappointed. If he stays healthy, this kid is destined to get a gigantic paycheck. Highest payed TE in the league. He's going to compete for highest payed WR (Fitzgerald withstanding). The packearen'tn't going to pay him. He's one of the best damn players we've seen come through this town, but he's not our saving grace. If all we had was Finley, yeah, we'd pay the shit out of him. He's not all we have though, and I doubt we're going to get him atbargaingan. There's only one way we keep him; if he wants to win super bowls more than he wants to make money.

Guiness
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
"For sure, they took me out of the game. I don't know what I came out with, but hopefully we can go back and dial something up for the double teams. We've got to have something for it. We'll have to go back, not being selfish or nothing, but go back and dial up something so you can get yourplay makerr the ball in games like that when it's close."

I just don't see this as being that big of a deal. Not this year anyways. He's just looking to inflate his stats for free agency. And if you guys think we're actually going to keep Finley, you better start preparing yourselves to be disappointed. If he stays healthy, this kid is destined to get a gigantic paycheck. Highest payed TE in the league. He's going to compete for highest payed WR (Fitzgerald withstanding). The packearen'tn't going to pay him. He's one of the best damn players we've seen come through this town, but he's not our saving grace. If all we had was Finley, yeah, we'd pay the shit out of him. He's not all we have though, and I doubt we're going to get him atbargaingan. There's only one way we keep him; if he wants to win super bowls more than he wants to make money.

One word

Franchise

Upnorth
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM
One word

Franchise

That gets us a couple of years!!

Seriously though, if you think about the TE market, there are many top TE out there. Whitten (DAL), Gronoswski (NE), Gonzalez (ATL), Davis (SF), Olsen (Car), Winslow (TB). Finley is great, but any of those guys would have tremendous sucsess playing with our QB and WR's as well. I am certain Finley is one of the best, but I also am certain that we can replace him. Don't break the bank on a TE.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2011, 01:49 PM
That gets us a couple of years!!

Seriously though, if you think about the TE market, there are many top TE out there. Whitten (DAL), Gronoswski (NE), Gonzalez (ATL), Davis (SF), Olsen (Car), Winslow (TB). Finley is great, but any of those guys would have tremendous sucsess playing with our QB and WR's as well. I am certain Finley is one of the best, but I also am certain that we can replace him. Don't break the bank on a TE.

Couldn't you say that about most positions? Those guys are nice, but I'd take Finley over all of them--except Gates. There are plenty of good OCs out there too.

Upnorth
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Gates is amazing, but so are the rest. At TE it seems like there is more talent right now than any time in recent history. Its like Gonzo made teams redefine the position. I dont think that Finley is much better (if at all) than anybody mentioned. One way he looks better is the QB and WR group he plays with. Don't get me wrong, Finley is extremely good, but there are quite a few extremely good TE right now.

denverYooper
10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Gates is amazing, but so are the rest. At TE it seems like there is more talent right now than any time in recent history. Its like Gonzo made teams redefine the position. I dont think that Finley is much better (if at all) than anybody mentioned. One way he looks better is the QB and WR group he plays with. Don't get me wrong, Finley is extremely good, but there are quite a few extremely good TE right now.

Good point. It's pretty hard to say anyone has beaten Gates as The Best, yet. Finley has the potential to get there. There is a new crop of TE/WR types out too that will give Finley a run for the top spot on the list over the next few -- Jimmy Graham and Jermaine Gresham look the part. Graham gets a lean b/c he's playing with Brees, IMO. Vernon Davis would be up there with a better QB.

Fritz
10-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm not looking forward to the Packers' offensive line against the Lions' defensive front. The Lions ate them for lunch last year at Ford Field.

Smeefers
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Gah! I hate this. I am not a non-spell-checker fool. Whenever I see crap like this it makes me want to punch the internet. Stupid spell check.

Smeefers
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM
One word

Franchise

Do you really think Finley will play up to his potential with a franchise tag?

Guiness
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Do you really think Finley will play up to his potential with a franchise tag?

He'd be a fool not to.

I think players are generally disgruntled when they are tagged, but that is countered by the fact they they're in a contract year, and are playing for the chance at big money again.

Smeefers
10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
He'd be a fool not to.

I think players are generally disgruntled when they are tagged, but that is countered by the fact they they're in a contract year, and are playing for the chance at big money again.

Fair nuff.

pbmax
10-06-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm not looking forward to the Packers' offensive line against the Lions' defensive front. The Lions ate them for lunch last year at Ford Field.

Colledge was injured in that game, then Spitz spit the bit. Lang came in but it was too late to save the day. Since he will be there for the start, it will all be OK.

I think.

denverYooper
10-06-2011, 11:20 AM

I'm looking forward to it because I feel like we might have one of the best lines in the league this year, and that interior group looks as good as any GB has had in long time. That Lions game will be a huge test to see what we've got there.

Lang sure seems to be the right call at LG, and I think he's still on the way up. I hope Bulaga is healthy for that game. They'll need some extra nasty.

denverYooper
10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Andrew Brandt discusses Jordy's contract. (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jordy-Jumps-In.html)

The Choice

Nelson had to make a choice that many players around the league make early into the final year of their contract: (1) take what their team is offering, or (2) wait and see what will be behind Door Number 2 in March. Like the old show “Let’s make a Deal,” this is the choice that players have.

My sense is that Nelson looked at the situation and decided the grass may not be greener beyond Lambeau Field. The career longevity of Donald Driver could be limited – although I’ve learned never to write off Donald; he is a physical marvel. The team and its quarterback are the best ones going right now and poised for sustained success. Nelson has put roots down in the community, which certainly helped the Packers case. The fan base is second to none. And, as I know firsthand, the organization treats its players extremely well. All of these things probably went into Nelson’s choice.

The Risk

Nelson’s agent Vann McElroy has certainly apprised him of the potential risk and the fact the market will pass him by at some point. Nelson will see the numbers of other receiver deals pop off the page in March (players all read and talk about other players’ contracts) and potentially wonder if he made the right decision.

I went through this with Driver, who happily signed an extension one November and then in March saw Peerless Price, a decidedly inferior player, sign with the Falcons for decidedly more than Donald. Donald realized he had committed months before but was naturally upset at seeing those numbers. And, of course, the whisper crew of other agents and players telling Donald he didn't get enough money was in full throat.

ND72
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I think the biggest thing mentioned is that Jordy has laid down roots in GB. His wife is very involved in the community, and Jordy has become an active member in Green Bay as well. It's amazing how some guys act...Jordy is a farm boy, was very committed to Kansas State which his family grew up loving, his father told him when he was drafted to always pay back that team that is paying you, and you can see Jordy putting forth that effort. Someone is going to get a bigger deal than Jordy, but won't ever be worth it like Jordy. I think one thing the Packers did with Donald, knowing he was under paid, was they kept "updating" his contract and gave him different bonus' to make up for it...probably see the same for Jordy. Jordy will be our #2, probably is right now. McCarthy likes having his size on the outside with Jennings/Driver in the middle. The guy I'm interested to see what happens is James Jones...he may want out next off season.

smuggler
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
The Jaguars signed Mike Thomas to a 3 year 18 million dollar extension. He's comparable but slightly inferior to Jordy.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
After Finley’s comments this week I have turned on him completely. This guy is completely full of himself. Is he really that selfish of a player to be upset that his QB didn’t force him the ball in double coverage when Rodgers was simply picking Denver apart? Imagine if we start playing bad and he’s not getting the ball, then what.

Looking at the depth at TE and WR I am 100% in favor of a tag in trade at the end of the year. If we can get him his stats and if the organization doesn’t comment and seem upset by his comments I think some team would probably give up a first round pick for him. I mean we did get a 2nd for Corey Williams. The offense would still be loaded at WR and we could still easily survive at TE with Quarless (who I think is a good player), Williams, Taylor, and Crabtree.

With Nelson signing cheap the WR crops looks like they will be together for quite a while. It might be better for the packers to get a high draft pick or a couple mid round picks for Finley and avoid another big contract. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji all need significant pay increases soon anyways.

Imagine what the defense would look like if we added another OLB who could rush the passer or better players on the offensive and defensive line.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I think the biggest thing mentioned is that Jordy has laid down roots in GB. His wife is very involved in the community, and Jordy has become an active member in Green Bay as well. It's amazing how some guys act...Jordy is a farm boy, was very committed to Kansas State which his family grew up loving, his father told him when he was drafted to always pay back that team that is paying you, and you can see Jordy putting forth that effort. Someone is going to get a bigger deal than Jordy, but won't ever be worth it like Jordy. I think one thing the Packers did with Donald, knowing he was under paid, was they kept "updating" his contract and gave him different bonus' to make up for it...probably see the same for Jordy. Jordy will be our #2, probably is right now. McCarthy likes having his size on the outside with Jennings/Driver in the middle. The guy I'm interested to see what happens is James Jones...he may want out next off season.

Good post. I am interested to see about JJ as well. Next year could look very different though. I honestly believe that it would be in the best interest of the team to trade FInley and who really knows if Driver will be on the team next year or not.

rbaloha1
10-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Finley's recent tantrum is a big concern. Finley is a luxury not a critical necessity. Could morph into a Terrell Owens.

Opinion has changed from absolute to lukewarm.

bobblehead
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
After Finley’s comments this week I have turned on him completely. This guy is completely full of himself. Is he really that selfish of a player to be upset that his QB didn’t force him the ball in double coverage when Rodgers was simply picking Denver apart? Imagine if we start playing bad and he’s not getting the ball, then what.

Looking at the depth at TE and WR I am 100% in favor of a tag in trade at the end of the year. If we can get him his stats and if the organization doesn’t comment and seem upset by his comments I think some team would probably give up a first round pick for him. I mean we did get a 2nd for Corey Williams. The offense would still be loaded at WR and we could still easily survive at TE with Quarless (who I think is a good player), Williams, Taylor, and Crabtree.

With Nelson signing cheap the WR crops looks like they will be together for quite a while. It might be better for the packers to get a high draft pick or a couple mid round picks for Finley and avoid another big contract. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji all need significant pay increases soon anyways.

Imagine what the defense would look like if we added another OLB who could rush the passer or better players on the offensive and defensive line.

This is an excellent post. Not sure it wil happen, but I won't be disappointed if it does.

Fritz
10-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Why would you ever be so damn willing to part with superstar talent if the talent's attached to an even nominally checkable ego? Finley seems like a boy. A boy who wants to be loved. He's frustrating sometimes but he really does seem to mean well. I just don't see the evidence you guys do to trade a superstar talent. You had the #5 overall pick a few years ago and got AJ Hawk. There's just no guarantees. But you do know that Finley is a star talent.

Smidgeon
10-07-2011, 01:00 PM

I've actually noticed Quarless on the field a lot. Not catching passes, but being put in specifically to block. Plus, I think I read in McGinn's analysis that observers can tell that Quarless is passionate about being a great blocker. I don't know if it's now, but Quarless might be the most complete TE on the team. Not the most talented, but the most complete.

Guiness
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I've actually noticed Quarless on the field a lot. Not catching passes, but being put in specifically to block. Plus, I think I read in McGinn's analysis that observers can tell that Quarless is passionate about being a great blocker. I don't know if it's now, but Quarless might be the most complete TE on the team. Not the most talented, but the most complete.

That's interesting, because he supposed to have great hands.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Why would you ever be so damn willing to part with superstar talent if the talent's attached to an even nominally checkable ego? Finley seems like a boy. A boy who wants to be loved. He's frustrating sometimes but he really does seem to mean well. I just don't see the evidence you guys do to trade a superstar talent. You had the #5 overall pick a few years ago and got AJ Hawk. There's just no guarantees. But you do know that Finley is a star talent.

But what good is his talent if he becomes a distraction and has something to say after every game? Rodgers is coming off of SIX TD game and he is complaining. Basically he is saying I don't care if you play great and hit the wide open guy I want MY stats. How is that wanting to be "loved?" That definitely sounds like a selfish person to me. Sure seemed like Rodgers and the offense as a whole took off after Finley went down last year. I'm willing to bet his injury was a blessing and we just couldn't see it at the time. Trading him is not about the trade pick or the player we would get in return more than it is about getting as much as we can for a player we don't want. And if this how his attitude is going to be than I don't want him. Talent alone doesn't win you games.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Yep and didn't Finley say before the season started that he doesn't want to have to block or that it is a waste of his talents.

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
First this is the best thread I have read in a while. Great discussion

Second, with at least 7 to 8 comparable TE's in the league, is he really a superstar? Could it be that certain scheme's are making the TE much more of a weapon again?? Could it be that when opposing D's try to take away Jennings, Nelson and Driver that makes Finley an easy go to?

Brandon494
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1463993415/18589_AR_Instructor_9-11-1.jpg

Lets trade this fucker before he tears this team apart! :soap:

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 05:41 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1463993415/18589_AR_Instructor_9-11-1.jpg

Lets trade this fucker before he tears this team apart! :soap:

Lets hope he doesn't demand a kings ransom and act like a bitch at negotiation time. He ain't no snowflake chuckles.

denverYooper
10-07-2011, 08:00 PM
First this is the best thread I have read in a while. Great discussion

Second, with at least 7 to 8 comparable TE's in the league, is he really a superstar? Could it be that certain scheme's are making the TE much more of a weapon again?? Could it be that when opposing D's try to take away Jennings, Nelson and Driver that makes Finley an easy go to?

I think he's probably at the top of that group. Second in receiving skills only to Gates but I can see Finley passing him soon. Not as complete as Witten but his abilities as a receiver are superior. Vernon Davis is probably comparable if he hooks up with a better QB.

Thing is, (homer alert) Finley is one of the best receivers in the league. Not just receiving Tight End, but Receiver. If Aaron wanted to force him the ball, he'd make the Johnson-esque plays (playoffs vs Cards anyone?). But that's not how they roll. LIS before, he's the bait more often than not, much to his dismay at times. But he'll put up his share of eye-popping games. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop a few TDs on the birds this weekend.

denverYooper
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I agree with Fritz (and Brandon) about Finley's attitude. If you follow him on twitter, he seems like a good guy and really loves his wife and son a lot and honestly, a good portion of his tweets are about them. I think that says something about the guy. He's still working on his media game.

I don't think the attitude will be a contract holdup at all, really, because I don't believe the Packers feel it's an issue there. They're likely only waiting to find out some more about his durability, if that. Jordy's agent was in talks with the team for a few months before his contract was assigned. Nary a peep until last weekend. But if they're negotiating with Fin right now, you can bet they're trying to use his injury history in their favor in return for some security up front from him. He might be the one waiting to build up that history of availability.

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 09:17 PM

++++1

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
FWIW I really hope he stays with us, I just hope he is reasonable about the contracts. If we get arod at 10 mil a year I sure hope
finley is less. 7 mil a year tops.

vince
10-08-2011, 12:02 AM
If he stays healthy, I think Finley is going to achieve his goal of being the highest paid TE in the league, and it'll be with the Packers. That's about $8 mil a year if I'm not mistaken. He's worth that and then some. He's the guy, after Arod the trigger man of course, that makes this offense unstoppable. The cap is going up by $40 mil or so over the next three years, and so are the contracts of the league's elite. I think Ted and Russ Ball will find room to get Finley, Wells, Arod, Raji, Matthews, and Jennings again, all signed in good time. Prolly Pickett too. His role will diminish hopefully, but I could see him sticking around for a short re-up/extension.

Driver, Clifton, unfortunately maybe Collins, Woodson, are all top-of-the-money-list guys that'll be coming off the books in the upcoming few years as well. Jones may not survive his three-year deal as the number 4 or 5 receiver. I think they'll have room and make room if necessary, to keep those guys you can't reasonably expect to just go out and replace in the draft.

pbmax
10-08-2011, 01:21 PM
1. I don't know how this can be defined as a "tantrum":

"Percentage-wise, I'd say 80% of the time I was capped," Finley said of being double-teamed by a cornerback underneath and a safety over the top. "If every team wants to come in and double-team me, we've got guys like Greg and Jordy and James Jones.

"I just have to stick to doing my job."

Finley admitted it was tough to go from three touchdowns to three barely noticeable catches. He said it's going to be hard to stomach that if it continues.

Asked if it was a compliment that he drew two guys all day, he said, "Not really. I want the ball."

Finley said a perfect example of the attention he got was WR Greg Jennings' touchdown at the end of the half. Two defenders came after him, leaving Jennings wide open down the seam for a 17-yard completion.

"Both corner and safety ran to me and left Greg wide open," Finley said. "That shows you right there. Once you double team it leaves somebody open.

"I guess their main concern was stopping me today. But you know, 40-some points, I don't know what they were trying to do."

Finley said he hopes the coaches come up with some answers for the double teams so he can remain a big part of the offense. Against the Broncos, he stayed split out where he's more vulnerable to double teams.

"I'm not being selfish, but we'll have to come back and dial something up," he said. "You have to get your playmaker the ball in games when it's close. I can be the bull when everything's going wrong."

Notice he did not say the underlined part. 4 quotes about how the double team attention benefited the team and 2 about challenging the double team/wanting the ball more. A far cry from demanding the ball more. Also notice that Finley recognizes that the defensive plan of the Broncos enabled the Packers to win, and he can differentiate such a situation to one where they NEED Finley to win a game (last quote). This is an important part of recognizing one's role. He gets it.

2. Sometimes I think Packer fans do not know what a diva receiver is. For reference, think about the Bucs or the Eagles suspending a healthy receiver just to get him out of the locker room. Or picture Owens doing situps in his driveway.

3. Finley's level of diva-ish-ness can be measured by the amount of hand holding it took to get him to proclaim his solidarity with the team.

"He just told me to keep running my routes hard, that the ball was going to come my way," Finley said. "It's going to come."

4. Look at how picture-gate failed to divide the team before the Super Bowl. This locker room works and Finley is not a large problem in it.

Everyone needs to relax.

Upnorth
10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Excellent post PB, I never caught that he did not say that before. It really changes his perceived attitude. I still don't want to break the bank for this guy.

Brandon494
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Excellent post PB, I never caught that he did not say that before. It really changes his perceived attitude. I still don't want to break the bank for this guy.

Why does everyone think Finley is going to demand a outrageous contract? Its not like he has threaten to hold out or anything. Just because the guy wants a new contract does not mean he is going demand to be the highest paid TE in the game. You have to remember the guy was a 3rd round draft pick and this is his first year making over 1M.

Brandon494
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
JermichaelF88 tweet: Just landed in ATL. That feeling just hit me, Im ready to go to work. #YOTTO

rbaloha1
10-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Why does everyone think Finley is going to demand a outrageous contract? Its not like he has threaten to hold out or anything. Just because the guy wants a new contract does not mean he is going demand to be the highest paid TE in the game. You have to remember the guy was a 3rd round draft pick and this is his first year making over 1M.

That is the dude's MO. Finley is about the bling. More than likely will not settle for cap and team friendly contract like Jordy Nelson.

Best course of action is franchise period. JF shall be unhappy but too bad.

rbaloha1
10-08-2011, 08:26 PM
1. I don't know how this can be defined as a "tantrum":

Notice he did not say the underlined part. 4 quotes about how the double team attention benefited the team and 2 about challenging the double team/wanting the ball more. A far cry from demanding the ball more. Also notice that Finley recognizes that the defensive plan of the Broncos enabled the Packers to win, and he can differentiate such a situation to one where they NEED Finley to win a game (last quote). This is an important part of recognizing one's role. He gets it.

2. Sometimes I think Packer fans do not know what a diva receiver is. For reference, think about the Bucs or the Eagles suspending a healthy receiver just to get him out of the locker room. Or picture Owens doing situps in his driveway.

3. Finley's level of diva-ish-ness can be measured by the amount of hand holding it took to get him to proclaim his solidarity with the team.

4. Look at how picture-gate failed to divide the team before the Super Bowl. This locker room works and Finley is not a large problem in it.

Everyone needs to relax.

PR fluff by Finley. The tantrum refers going to MM's office about only catching 3 balls against the Broncos. Maturing from a baby to an adolescent.

pbmax
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
That is the dude's MO. Finley is about the bling. More than likely will not settle for cap and team friendly contract like Jordy Nelson.

Best course of action is franchise period. JF shall be unhappy but too bad.

How do you know he is about the bling? Has he held out? Complained about his contract? You seem to be projecting a set of characteristics for which there is not much evidence beyond immaturity.

pbmax
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
PR fluff by Finley. The tantrum refers going to MM's office about only catching 3 balls against the Broncos. Maturing from a baby to an adolescent.

Did Rodgers have a tantrum in 2009 when he and McCarthy hashed out a different approach to the offense prior to the Dallas game? How about 2010 when McCarthy said he started meeting with him every week? Was Rodgers throwing a tantrum when he suggested the Packers use of the run game was ineffective last year?

Was Woodson behaving like a diva when McCarthy asked him and Rodgers to take a more vocal leadership role?

Was Philbin molly coddling James Jones when he publicly praised him and said the first week was not indicative of the actual role of Jones in this years offense?

How about Capers and Moss publicly defending Hawk after the Eagles game last year when he played no snaps?

Or do Head Coaches and their Assistants probably meet and talk to a number of players every week to be sure they are all on the same page? Especially the ones that are the most talented.

Perhaps the reporters can smell the quote when Finley walks by and are quick to ask him questions about anything that might be a source of conflict?

Perhaps the most growing up Finley needs to do would be to realize the media are happy to use his loquaciousness against him?

Does anyone recall at all Jennings being a mite frustrated at Finley-palooza in the first 4 games last year? Recall how he handled it? Basically, he looked frustrated on the field at times and ignored the media the rest of the time. If Finley can learn that lesson, then look out.

rbaloha1
10-08-2011, 09:21 PM
How do you know he is about the bling? Has he held out? Complained about his contract? You seem to be projecting a set of characteristics for which there is not much evidence beyond immaturity.

Possible. Lets wait to how this plays out. Do not expect Jordy Nelson type of class though.

rbaloha1
10-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Did Rodgers have a tantrum in 2009 when he and McCarthy hashed out a different approach to the offense prior to the Dallas game? How about 2010 when McCarthy said he started meeting with him every week? Was Rodgers throwing a tantrum when he suggested the Packers use of the run game was ineffective last year?

Was Woodson behaving like a diva when McCarthy asked him and Rodgers to take a more vocal leadership role?

Was Philbin molly coddling James Jones when he publicly praised him and said the first week was not indicative of the actual role of Jones in this years offense?

How about Capers and Moss publicly defending Hawk after the Eagles game last year when he played no snaps?

Or do Head Coaches and their Assistants probably meet and talk to a number of players every week to be sure they are all on the same page? Especially the ones that are the most talented.

Perhaps the reporters can smell the quote when Finley walks by and are quick to ask him questions about anything that might be a source of conflict?

Perhaps the most growing up Finley needs to do would be to realize the media are happy to use his loquaciousness against him?

Does anyone recall at all Jennings being a mite frustrated at Finley-palooza in the first 4 games last year? Recall how he handled it? Basically, he looked frustrated on the field at times and ignored the media the rest of the time. If Finley can learn that lesson, then look out.

Nice tantrum! Agree that if Finley can temper his frustration -- watch out! I work with special need kids -- Finley's body language and actions are similar to autistic kids.