PDA

View Full Version : Raiders @ Vikings

falco
08-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Watching this makes me wonder why TT didn't pick up Koren Robinson.

Not that he's that spectacular, but I think he'd easily be our #2 receiver. Easily.

MadtownPacker
08-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Living in an area infested with raiders fans I always root against them but when it comes to purple vs black I take the lesser of two evils. So since the both dont forfeit I have to hope the queens lose and that th raiders look terrible winning. :mrgreen:

FavreChild
08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Didn't like seeing Longwell kick that XP. Doesn't look right. :sad:

digitaldean
08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Didn't like seeing Longwell kick that XP. Doesn't look right. :sad:

He's probably going to Applebee's to celebrate after the game.

:mrgreen:

FavreChild
08-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Tee hee!!!

Aaron Brooks did NOT try to kiss Suzy Kolber.

BooHoo
08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Go Oakland. Yes, they are the less of two evils. Not a purple fan at all.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Thinking of Rastak? :mrgreen:

Man - their grinding it out.

Some awesome punting on both sides.

gbgary
08-14-2006, 10:15 PM
GOD...warren sapp makes me SICK! LOL

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Did they really just lose that game on a Longwell whiff? (Rastak, you may want to look away.) Wonder if he'll blame the holder.

retailguy
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM

Not that he's that spectacular, but I think he'd easily be our #2 receiver. Easily.

If I recall, he tried when Minny released him before the 1st game, with the intent to resign him. TT tried to sign him, but KR came out and said that he "promised" Tice he'd resign and honored that promise on the basis that Minn "took a chance on him" when no one else would.

there is some truth to that.... No one else did take a chance on him.

red
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM

If I recall, he tried when Minny released him before the 1st game, with the intent to resign him. TT tried to sign him, but KR came out and said that he "promised" Tice he'd resign and honored that promise on the basis that Minn "took a chance on him" when no one else would.

there is some truth to that.... No one else did take a chance on him.

you are correct, from what i remember

Homer Jay
08-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Living in an area infested with raiders fans I always root against them but when it comes to purple vs black I take the lesser of two evils. So since the both dont forfeit I have to hope the queens lose and that th raiders look terrible winning. :mrgreen:

I'd say you got your wish.

superfan
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I watched a little of this game, and it was somewhat entertaining as only preseason football can be. Both teams made some eye opening plays, but it was pretty ugly at times, too.

QB T. Jackson, MN looks like he could be a player. Moves a bit like Vick, and I didn't see too much of the deer in the headlights look.

I heard something about Greenway leaving with an injury, but I didn't hear the extent of it. I guess Moss blew past the Twin Cities media by ducking out the back door -- atta boy Randy.

Irv Cross and some other guy (Jim Rich) are just gushing about the Vikes on the local (MN) post game show. I thought the Vikes looked fair at best, but these guys are just wearing shit eating grins and acting like it's Christmas morning. Pretty funny...

I do respect Childress for going for it with 5 seconds left in the game, down by 3, somewhere around the Raiders 20 yard line. Didn't want to risk injury in OT.

Deputy Nutz
08-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Did anyone hear that jackass say that the Packers should have not brought Favre Back? I refuse to mention Jackass by his god given name, but holy sweet baby Jesus, is he serious? Thank God for Tony K putting Jackass in his place.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
THEESman is a horse's ass. Every year the Vikings are his sleeper (he has a hard on for them), and every QB that plays is the second coming of Christ. He makes me want to puke. I can't believe they brought his sorry ass back.

superfan
08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that same Jackass has been a Packer hater for years. He's always saying stuff like that. Not sure what his problem his. I won't mention his name either.

On the other hand, I thought Kornheiser and Turico were solid overall.

It's a shame Madden wasn't there to stick up for Brett. :smile:

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Did anyone hear that jackass say that the Packers should have not brought Favre Back? I refuse to mention Jackass by his god given name, but holy sweet baby Jesus, is he serious? Thank God for Tony K putting Jackass in his place.

Wish Kornheiser would have been a little firmer about it, though. I completely agree with your sentiment though. It's what he said before and should be shitcanned for those comment immediatly. Not brought back my ass.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, just got home from the game....more positive than negative from my perspective...first team defense was very good....pass rush was good most of the night. Offense had a nice long drive and Tavaris Jackson looked good considering his backround in div II and him being a rookie. I like that Childress didn't send it into overtime or I'd still be there. Vikings outplayed the Raiders and should have won but as you guys know, they don't count anyway.

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2006, 11:16 PM
The Viking fans up here are going nuts over QB Travaris Jackson. Well, he beat up on the 2nd string Oak D. Yep, time to start him over Johnson. :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Jackson showed good potential. He definitely can run, but that's not what will ultimately make or break him QB (although having good feet in the pocket is nice). They kept it pretty simple for him, and he didn't have to make many tough throws. It was mostly dumpoffs and checkdowns. For a first game, he looked good though. The only negative is that I thought he looked smaller than the 6'2" 225 he is listed at. The same guy who measured Mike Vick must have measured him.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
The Viking fans up here are going nuts over QB Travaris Jackson. Well, he beat up on the 2nd string Oak D. Yep, time to start him over Johnson. :roll:No no no.....he made a few mistakes but looked ok overall. He didn't "beat up" Oak's second string defense, but he was playing with 2nd and 3rd string players on his side also. The whole offensive line was replaced and there were a few street free agents out there in the 3rd quarter. I would like to see him start next year if he progresses though.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Jackson showed good potential. He definitely can run, but that's not what will ultimately make or break him QB (although having good feet in the pocket is nice). They kept it pretty simple for him, and he didn't have to make many tough throws. It was mostly dumpoffs and checkdowns. For a first game, he looked good though. The only negative is that I thought he looked smaller than the 6'2" 225 he is listed at. The same guy who measured Mike Vick must have measured him.

As usual I agree with Harvey.....didn't notice the size thing, being 100 rows up...LOL.....he threw a couple of passes that should have been picked....but he also COULD have gotten a TD with the pass that was dropped on the 3 yard line.....would have won the Vikings the game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-14-2006, 11:29 PM
He'll learn to slide though. Man, Bing light him up. I'm iffy on whether it should have been a flag. Bing hit him with an elbow to the helmet, but in Bing's defense Jackson didn't slide and it almost looked accidental that he got him in the head. Jackson was kind of falling forward. Now that I think about it, it probably should have been a flag.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:36 PM
He'll learn to slide though. Man, Bing light him up. I'm iffy on whether it should have been a flag. Bing hit him with an elbow to the helmet, but in Bing's defense Jackson didn't slide and it almost looked accidental that he got him in the head. Jackson was kind of falling forward. Now that I think about it, it probably should have been a flag.

Actually he did slide the right way his first scramble. He came back in after getting his bell rung and got a standing ovation, which I think was meant for JT O'Sullivan leaving.....

superfan
08-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Michelle Tafoya reported that Brad came over to Tarvaris and told him that he played well but needs to learn how to slide. Jackson smiled and said "okay".

I think he'll be fine, with a solid chance to be good. Can't ask for much more from a guy in his first NFL action coming from a small school. And he definitely should have had a TD -- that drop was one of the worst I've seen in the NFL. Whoever dropped that is cut for sure.

(Brad Johnson, not Childress)

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Michelle Tafoya reported that Brad came over to Tarvaris and told him that he played well but needs to learn how to slide. Jackson smiled and said "okay".

I think he'll be fine, with a solid chance to be good. Can't ask for much more from a guy in his first NFL action coming from a small school. And he definitely should have had a TD -- that drop was one of the worst I've seen in the NFL. Whoever dropped that is cut for sure.

(Brad Johnson, not Childress)

Hey superfan.....I think it was a street freeagent backup fullback that dropped it. Steven Jackson might be his name...it was funny, in the 4th quarter I had no clue who half the friggen players were.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Interesting Packer org view on the Vikes......not sure on the original link....

The Green Bay Packers ran a version of the West Coast offense under former coach Mike Sherman that is similar to what Brad Childress is installing with the Vikings this season.

John Schneider, the Packers personnel analyst to the general manager, was at the Vikings' preseason opener Monday against Oakland and was impressed by what he saw. Schneider credits quarterback Brad Johnson with making the transition look so smooth.

"They look very good, and it's primarily because Brad is such a good game manager and such an efficient player," said Schneider, who also attended the Vikings' practice against Kansas City in Mankato. "That's going to put the progress of the offense that much ahead of schedule."

Johnson played all three series of the first quarter for the Vikings before being replaced by backup Mike McMahon. Johnson completed five of six passes for 32 yards and had an 88.9 quarterback rating. He led the Vikings on their only touchdown drive of the first half.

Johnson's longest completion was a 12-yarder to Koren Robinson. That was no surprise considering the West Coast offense is based on a short-passing game.

Schneider said that Johnson is the key to the Vikings' success on offense because it might take a quarterback not familiar with this system two years to get a complete grasp of it.

"That's what a quarterback would say," Schneider said. "But based on Brad's experience, especially having played under Jon Gruden [in Tampa Bay], he's that much further ahead. I don't think they are going to miss a beat. ... Basically the transition will be that much smoother for all of the players if the quarterback is able to help everybody line up and just be able to give the team confidence in what they're doing."

Schneider also was impressed by the play of rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, who entered in the second quarter. Jackson completed four of seven passes for 39 yards in the second and also ran twice for 19 yards. Jackson, a second-round pick, looked poised in leading the Vikings down the field for a 41-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell as time expired in the first half.

Jackson left the game in the third quarter after taking an elbow to the helmet from linebacker Darnell Bing at the conclusion of a 17-yard run that included a nifty move. Jackson was able to return to finish the quarter.

"I think he looked very poised," Schneider said. "Darrell Bevell [the Packers former quarterbacks coach and the Vikings offense coordinator] is very good with quarterbacks, and so in terms of [Jackson's] progress, he's around Darrell and he's around an experienced guy like Brad Johnson.

"J.T. O'Sullivan [another former Packer] has worked under excellent quarterback coaches, too. Mike McMahon has been around good quarterback coaches.

"[Jackson's] got an advantage a lot of rookies would not have. I think it showed. He's such a good athlete and has so much talent.

"I think the sky is the limit for that guy."

superfan
08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Rastak,

Good article, and you are correct on Steven Jackson. And that's why preseason records don't matter. He cost the Vikes a win, and won't make the final roster.

That's some impressive coherence for that late in the game. :razz:

Lurker64
08-15-2006, 02:14 AM
Too bad about Greenway for the Purple. Any word on how bad he's hurt?