PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
I want the Lions to keep winning so we can see a battle of undefeateds on turkey day. It will be like having a second Super Bowl to watch.

Freak Out
10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
That would make for an incredible day.

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe the Packers need to lose. Things didn't go so well the last time an undefeated Packer team went to Detroit on Thanksgiving Day.

http://packerville.blogspot.com/2007/11/thanksgiving-1962.html

DETROIT (Nov. 22) — A picture hanging outside the locker room of the Lions' practice facility in Allen Park frames a special moment in time. It depicts an overpowering display of defensive dominance on Thanksgiving Day in 1962. Bart Starr, the Packers' Hall of Fame quarterback, is surrounded by a group of charging, swarming defenders. Starr is helpless, with no protective pocket of blockers near him. Starr went down on that play and was sacked 10 more times as the Lions atoned for a loss to the Packers earlier in the season with a 26-14 victory at Tiger Stadium.

There have been other big games, and great performances, in the traditional holiday game. It began in 1934 and continues today with the Lions playing the Packers at Ford Field. The 1962 game — 45 years ago today — is the pinnacle. For one day, one game, they were superior to Vince Lombardi's Packers. It was the Packers' only loss in the '62 season, in which they went 13-1 and won a second straight NFL championship.

Roger Brown, a defensive tackle who played the first seven of 10 pro seasons with the Lions, led the defensive charge that smothered Starr. "I don't think a Sherman tank could have stopped us that day," Brown said in a telephone interview from his home in Portsmouth, Va. Brown was in on seven of the 11 sacks, including five solos. He also trapped Starr in the end zone for a safety. "They were getting the jump on us something awful," Lombardi said after the game.

In 1962, the Packers were the gods of pro football as Lombardi, the legendary coach, was building a dynasty. The Packers won the NFL championship in 1961, the first of five under Lombardi. The Lions finished second to the Packers in the Western Division for three straight years, 1960-62. By 1962, the Packers-Lions rivalry was as fierce as any. The rivalry was fueled partly by the Thanksgiving matchup. The Packers were the opponent for 13 straight years, from 1951-63. After that, the NFL began rotating opponents.

The Lions were tired of being second-best. In the fourth game of the season at Green Bay, they led 7-6 late in the fourth quarter. On a third-down play, the Lions tried a pass. The receiver, Terry Barr, slipped. Herb Adderley got an interception and a long return to set up a field goal in the last minute for a 9-7 Packers win. Seven weeks later came the rematch. The Packers were 10-0. The Lions were 8-2.
"I think we were fired up the whole month, the whole week," Brown said. "Ever since that game in Green Bay, we looked forward to Thanksgiving so we could vindicate ourselves."

The onslaught began early. On the Packers' fourth play, Alex Karras broke through on a running play to throw Tom Moore for a 3-yard loss. On the next play, Darris McCord, Joe Schmidt and Karras sacked Starr, but the play was nullified by a delay-of-game penalty. It didn't matter. Brown sacked Starr for a 15-yard loss on the next play. A short punt put the ball at the Packers 39, and three plays later, Milt Plum passed to Gail Cogdill for a touchdown. The rout was on.

Starr was sacked eight more times in the half, and the Lions had a 23-0 lead at the intermission. The Lions coasted through the second half and won easily. After the game, Schmidt, the Hall of Fame middle linebacker, seemed in awe of the performance. "I've never seen anything like it," Schmidt said. "We killed them."

red
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
we're finally gonna have a watchable game on thanksgiving

and maybe the biggest game of the year

Joemailman
10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Does it mean anything with out a turducken?

pbmax
10-03-2011, 04:19 PM

It does to the duck.

channtheman
10-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm hoping for Detroit to be unbeaten. I know we should want Detroit and our other NFC North foes to lose, but what a game would that be to have to the only two unbeaten teams playing on Thanksgiving. I get excited just thinking about the Packers finally showing the Lions their place!

Upnorth
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
If GB and Det are undefeated it would be huge. Has there ever been two undefeated teams in the same division that far into the regular season before? Black and Blue on top where it belongs!

gbgary
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
F you people! i hope the lions go on 5 game losing streak, we keep winning, and the game doesn't mean a damm thing in the grand scheme of things. i don't need to have my insides tied up in knots, with children running around all over the place, while i'm trying to feed family (and a hand full of straingers that always seem to appear), and concentrate on a game of undefeated. calm, boring, a fast clock, and an empty house as soon as possible, are the thoughts for the day.

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
F you people! i hope the lions go on 5 game losing streak, we keep winning, and the game doesn't mean a damm thing in the grand scheme of things. i don't need to have my insides tied up in knots, with children running around all over the place, while i'm trying to feed family (and a hand full of straingers that always seem to appear), and concentrate on a game of undefeated. calm, boring, a fast clock, and an empty house as soon as possible, are the thoughts for the day.

You need a serious attitude adjustment. And a DVR. Lets start with your role as male head of household. Look to the lion pride for guidance. The lionesses are responsible for hunting and food prepartion (ripping off the tough hide of the gazelle to expose tender innards.) The lionesses and cubs step aside while the lion gorges himself. The entire pride eats later while the lion stretches, sleeps, passes gas.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this ideal model can be replicated exactly, but you need to harness the spirit. You watch the entire game, eating your food from a TV tray if necessary. If conversation is disturbing, up goes the volume. If anyone is offended, that makes next year's gathering smaller and more managable. You'll want to DVR the game for deeper analysis later in the quiet of your castle.

Pugger
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM

I don't want the loins to be undefeated either! I was pissed when Romo threw that game away to Detoilet on Sunday. We sure as hell don't need to have those clowns full of confidence and swagger. In my mind those bozos are our only threat to the division so the sooner they start losing the better.

mmmdk
10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't want the loins to be undefeated either! I was pissed when Romo threw that game away to Detoilet on Sunday. We sure as hell don't need to have those clowns full of confidence and swagger. In my mind those bozos are our only threat to the division so the sooner they start losing the better.

I agree; yet there's little doubt that it'll be the showdown of the regular season.

mraynrand
10-04-2011, 01:08 PM

It does to the duck.

We're better off without the turd

mraynrand
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM

If you lived near me, I would invite you to watch the game with me.

MJZiggy
10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

What about me? :mrgreen:

mraynrand
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
What about me? :mrgreen:

OK, OK, you can come too

gbgary
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
You need a serious attitude adjustment. And a DVR. Lets start with your role as male head of household. Look to the lion pride for guidance. The lionesses are responsible for hunting and food prepartion (ripping off the tough hide of the gazelle to expose tender innards.) The lionesses and cubs step aside while the lion gorges himself. The entire pride eats later while the lion stretches, sleeps, passes gas.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this ideal model can be replicated exactly, but you need to harness the spirit. You watch the entire game, eating your food from a TV tray if necessary. If conversation is disturbing, up goes the volume. If anyone is offended, that makes next year's gathering smaller and more managable. You'll want to DVR the game for deeper analysis later in the quiet of your castle.

lol...thanks!! was just trying to inject a little humor.

easy cheesy
10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
lol...thanks!! was just trying to inject a little humor.

Your humor is appreciated... and you know what?.... I know EXACTLY where you are coming from with regards to your post.... LIONS NEED TO TAKE A DUMP!... ***whew.... better now....***.... I think...

and.. btw.. I don't think any Gazelles were harmed in the posting of this message.. just sayin'...

MadtownPacker
10-04-2011, 09:50 PM
True shame is being told you're acting like a scared lil bitch by Harlan.

The Shadow
10-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I would prefer the Lions by Thanksgiving to have at least 5 losses (one less than the Bears) & be demoralized.
'Tense' does not go well with 'Turkey'.

Harlan Huckleby
10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, if some people want a boring football game so it doesn't distract from their Thanksgiving, I guess I can see that. Why don't people bring some marijuana to the feast, mellow out, bond, and enjoy an exciting game too? Problems have solutions.

gbgary
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Well, if some people want a boring football game so it doesn't distract from their Thanksgiving, I guess I can see that. Why don't people bring some marijuana to the feast, mellow out, bond, and enjoy an exciting game too? Problems have solutions.

LOL. Packer football is never boring...unless we're getting trounced. i just don't like distractions during the games and the thanksgiving melee is the ultimate distraction. lol

MadtownPacker
10-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I would prefer the Lions by Thanksgiving to have at least 5 losses (one less than the Bears) & be demoralized.
'Tense' does not go well with 'Turkey'.

At your advanced age I'm guessing you're watching every game with this guy?

http://www.solarnavigator.net/animal_kingdom/animal_images/death_grim_reaper_cloaked_skeleton.jpg

The Shadow
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
At your advanced age I'm guessing you're watching every game with this guy?

http://www.solarnavigator.net/animal_kingdom/animal_images/death_grim_reaper_cloaked_skeleton.jpg

What are you talking about? I AM that guy!
By the way, iI finally became a grandfather Monday night. I have immediately begun to teach my new grandaughter to hate the Bears.

gbgary
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
By the way, iI finally became a grandfather Monday night. I have immediately begun to teach my new grandaughter to hate the Bears.

way to go grampy and congrats.

The Shadow
10-05-2011, 11:10 PM
way to go grampy and congrats.

Thanks, gbgary!

Gunakor
10-06-2011, 04:35 AM
I have immediately begun to teach my new grandaughter to hate the Bears.

Shouldn't this be the responsibility of her parents?

See, this is how society crumbles. Parenting seems to be a lost art nowadays. Why should an otherwise healthy child be allowed to grow up to be a Bears fan? Thank heavens that Granddad is a stand up, take charge kind of guy. Kudos Shadow, and congrats on the new addition to the family!

AtlPackFan
10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Congrats Shadow and way to be a great Gramps! Be strong and show her the evils that are the Vikings, Lions and Bears!!!

My first and only (so far) grandson turns 1 in a couple of weeks. We have been showering him with Packers, Badgers & Brewers paraphernalia and clothes. We know he will have a hard time staying on the straight and narrow. His other grandparents are Hawkeye fans, his Mom graduated from UGA and all his friends growing up will probably be Falcon fans but we, as grandparents, are pledged to keep up the good fight and help him to see there is only one true NFL team - The Green Bay Packers, on true MLB team - The Milwaukee Brewers and one true college team, the University of Wisconsin Badgers!!!

AtlPackFan
10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Your all assuming that the Packers are going to be undefeated by Thanksgiving. With the way the defense has been playing, Sunday night's game scares me. The Falcons have more than enough weapons to keep pace with our offense if the D doesn't show up.

Yes...I know...I am a glass half empty kind of guy. I AM Eyore

pbmax
10-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Will you have a drum circle as well?

AtlPackFan
10-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Good God man, what are you suggesting? Have you not seen Reefer Madness? Don't you know? Marijuana kills!!!

denverYooper
10-06-2011, 11:08 AM

Excellent. Congrats Grandpa!

I have a 23 month old daughter who now says "Go Pack-Ers" every time she sees a football player.

The Shadow
10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Shouldn't this be the responsibility of her parents?

See, this is how society crumbles. Parenting seems to be a lost art nowadays. Why should an otherwise healthy child be allowed to grow up to be a Bears fan? Thank heavens that Granddad is a stand up, take charge kind of guy. Kudos Shadow, and congrats on the new addition to the family!

I fully admit I failed with my daughter - she just has no innate hatred for the Bears - in fact, she is actually indifferent to football! To make matters even worse, she would probably order sushi , if available, if dragged to a game against her will.
I plumped for the name "Nitschke Starr" for the new arrival, but again failed.
Nevertheless, I will atone with this child - she WILL hate all things Bears!

MJZiggy
10-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I fully admit I failed with my daughter - she just has no innate hatred for the Bears - in fact, she is actually indifferent to football! To make matters even worse, she would probably order sushi , if available, if dragged to a game against her will.
I plumped for the name "Nitschke Starr" for the new arrival, but again failed.
Nevertheless, I will atone with this child - she WILL hate all things Bears!

Instill Packer love and the Bear hate will come of its own accord. My science geek of a kid may be indifferent to most of football. But the Packers ALWAYS need to win and the Bears are just stupid.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
You faint-hearts pining for a tranquil Thanksgiving can just forget it. You better have your ankles taped this year.

The Packer Offensive line is going to have a sleepless Thanksgiving eve.

The Packers barely pressured Cutler at all. The Lions yesterday swarmed the Bears on every damn snap. Lions have 6 good defensive lineman. Oh ya, plus 3 great ones.

Doesn't matter much what the team records are, so they might as well be undefeated. This is going to be an epic challenge for the Packers to go into that dome against a physical, hungry team.

Upnorth
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
So we just had thanksgiving here in Canada and watched a frustrating win. I liked the game, but it had a lot of scratch your head moments. The worst part was that we had a lot of family here and My 7 year old daughter was to 'embarrased' to wear her packers cheerleader outfit. Breaks her daddy's heart.

denverYooper
10-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Meh. Cutler was able to make plays on the run. Rodgers is going to eat them alive. I won't be surprised if he draws them offside 10 times with the hard count the way they look to jump that snap (provided his own line doesn't move...) I'm thinking 50+ for the Pack.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking 50+ for the Pack. you a betting man?

The packers may be a slight favorite, we'll see. Its going to be awfully loud when packers have ball, I expect Packers will be going on silent count, don't count on your 10 offsides. The Bears were victims of most of the presnap penalties last night.

Noodle
10-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Are you suggesting you roll like this?

Because I don't think sitting in your bathrobe on Thanksgiving and yelling at your Mom for meatloaf really makes you the Lion King.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Its all about attitude. We can all be king of our castle, even if it is just a room at mom's house.

MadtownPacker
10-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Because I don't think sitting in your bathrobe on Thanksgiving and yelling at your Mom for meatloaf really makes you the Lion King.

Ahahaha, burn!! You got this fool pegged man!!

Noodle
10-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Blue dog, you are one funny dude.

And Huey Long would heartily agree with you.

As would Chaz.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__iHzedtY3VA/SLrwBe7AThI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/GMxDr1l7Rh0/s1600-h/chaz12.jpg

MadtownPacker
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Its all about attitude. We can all be king of our castle, even if it is just a room at mom's house.
Yeah break it down you leach.

I agree with you though, let it be a high powered matchup!

Fritz
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
That is one ferocious defensive line the Lions have. I was at the game last night; I've never been in a louder place than that was in the first quarter. Wow.

And that defensive line - it's like watching a feeding frenzy. Scary.

Joemailman
10-11-2011, 05:47 PM
That is one ferocious defensive line the Lions have. I was at the game last night; I've never been in a louder place than that was in the first quarter. Wow.

And that defensive line - it's like watching a feeding frenzy. Scary.

Will you stop wringing your hands and shaking in your boots? Get a hold of yourself man!

Fritz
10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Can I at least hold on to my wiener?

MJZiggy
10-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Can I at least hold on to my wiener?

I thought you had someone else to do that for you now.

Freak Out
10-11-2011, 06:37 PM
That crowd will shut up after Rodgers and the boys burn them a few times.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Why weep or slumber America
Land of brave and true
With castles and clothing and food for all
All belongs to you

Ev'ry man a king, ev'ry man a king
For you can be a millionaire
If there's something belonging to others
There's enough for all people to share

When it's sunny June and December too
Or in the winter time or spring
There'll be peace without end
Ev'ry neighbor a friend
With ev'ry man a king

Randy Newman from Huey P. Long campaign ditty

vince
10-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanksgiving day looks to me like it'll be the toughest game of the year for the Pack. I don't think any defensive frontline is close to as physical as the Lions. That's going to be a great test.

Joemailman
10-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Surprisingly though, teams have been able to run the ball a bit against them. Lions are giving up 115 rushing YPG with a 4.8 YPC. They apparently toughen up inside the 10 though as they have given up just 1 rushing TD. Lions are doing a good job of forcing teams to settle for field goals, so red zone efficiency would be a key against them.

denverYooper
10-12-2011, 11:20 AM
you a betting man?

The packers may be a slight favorite, we'll see. Its going to be awfully loud when packers have ball, I expect Packers will be going on silent count, don't count on your 10 offsides. The Bears were victims of most of the presnap penalties last night.

I'm not a money betting man.

I'm sure the offense will work with and know the silent count. I still won't be surprised to see them try to bait that D into jumping. 10 was just hyperbole for how jumpy those linemen are and the fact that the Packers O will probably look to take advantage of that.

You can be sure M3 will be looking to take advantage of that aggression. Screens. Cobb. Etc.

Upnorth
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Finley and Starks/Grant will have a great receiving day. I doubt we will destroy this team, but we should win putting the kitty's in their place. So long as our Oline plays at their peak we will be fine. Buluga will be back, right guys?

Noodle
10-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Um, dudes, Blue Dog just quoted an excellent Randy Newman lyric. I mean, I care about the Lions game and all, but respect should be paid when a poster goes outside the norm and brings in a little art.

Not that I think Blue Dog is anything but a louche dissipate, but given that, let's offer some praise when the blind squirrel finds a nut!

pbmax
10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
I wondered what that picture was.

vince
10-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I'm still wondering.