PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of New CDs/Music

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 12:25 PM
So, yeah, music is my thing. This thread is where we can review new music that has come out. We can all educate each other on what's worth buying for your CD player or IPOD or what's best left for the dollar shelf at CD Exchange.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on a recent music purchase. (This is not for "soon-to-be released stuff--this is for CDs that have been released and that you'd like to comment on. Please make them releases within the last few months).

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 12:35 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000ENWKN8.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Title: "Educated Horses"
Artist: Rob Zombie
Grade: B

Rob Zombie knows how to make good music. Plain and simple. At the core, he knows how to assemble a good song from the bottom up, starting with solid beats and keeping a song on a steady pace. He infuses his tunes with interesting clips from movies and TV to enhance the experience. "Educated Horses" is no different from anything Zombie has ever done, though it is not near as good as his last effort "The Sinister Urge".

Pluses: Very strong sing-along song "American Witch", "The Devil's Rejects" (see the movie), and "The Lords of Salem". Funky "17 Year Locust". A toned-down Rob Zombie image, minus all the freaky makeup and costumes.

Minuses: The rest of the album is somewhat weak. Zombie missed the mark with releasing "Foxy Foxy" as his leading single, a confused and plodding song that tries to echo great songs like "Never Gonna Stop" and "(go to) California". Unlike previous Zombie records, "Horses" seems to lack a cohesive theme, almost like Zombie is stuck in two different worlds--the horror market that he emerged from and a commercial rock market that he would like to be part of.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 12:50 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EHSVI2.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Title: "Karmacode"
Artist: Lacuna Coil
Category: Hard Rock
Grade: C

Italian rock band Lacuna Coil has raced up the metal charts in the last couple years off of the strength of their album "Comalies", slowly gaining acceptance and sales in the United States. 2005 saw them join Ozzfest, the highest honor a U.S. rock band can achieve these days. They will duplicate that effort in 2006. What is Lacuna Coil? If you merged Amy Lee from Evanescence, gave her voice a European tinge, and then partenered her vocals with Grover from the Muppets, you would have Lacuna Coil. That said, Lacuna Coil is strongest when lead singer Christina Scabbia is front-and-center in the music and in the band. Her beautiful voice and looks are really what have made Lacuna Coil what they are. With "Karmacode", Lacuna Coil return to their dual-vocalist formula.

Pluses: "Our Truth", featured on the "Underworld: Evolution" soundtrack. It is also their strongest song since "Heaven's A Lie" and showcases Christina Scabbia's impressive vocal range and diversity. Strong harmonies and composition.

Minuses: The whole rest of the album. I've listened to the album five or six times and no song even comes close to the power of "Our Truth". What's worse is that Lacuna Coil continues to attempt to showcase male-vocalist Andrea Ferro on certain songs. The presence of Ferro will continue to keep Lacuna Coil from soaring to the heights they could reach if they tried to compose without him. If you're interested in Lacuna Coil, check out "Unleashed Memories", which is an all-around better album than anything they're created since. Still, if you had to check out one Lacuna Coil song this year, give "Our Truth" a try.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000AADYYO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
Title: "Ghost Reveries"
Artist: Opeth
Category: Goth Metal
Grade: A

Opeth is the new face of progressive metal. While Dream Theater created some amazing material, they were often difficultly inaccessible (and, sometimes, relied too much on keyboards and techno). As they are from Sweden, they are most definitely European in sound and in nature, so many fans of metal in the United States will have trouble with their style and arrangement. But their talent and creativity is indisputable. Having mastered their death metal/goth acoustic mix over the last few albums, they have perfected it with "Ghost Reveries".

Pluses: A brilliant mix of death and beauty. The first time you listen to Opeth will be like taking your first shot of Jager. It will hurt and it may taste bitter, cause you to shake your head in convulsive rage, but the result will be well worth it and each succeeding sip will taste sweeter and sweeter. Opeth is a death metal band. But Opeth is more than the voice of death and decay. Intertwined within vocal the darkness of Opeth are angelic harmonies and peaceful acoustic interludes. Anyone that has checked out their companion albums "Deliverance" and "Damnation" know this very well. "Ghost Reveries" is a merging and balancing of both the ugliness of death and the beauty of darkness. To me, the last three songs of "Ghost Reveries" tell the story of Opeth--"Hours of Wealth", "The Grand Conjuration" and "Isolation Years" are a mix of beautiful acoustic vocals and string accompaniment, engaging and thought-provoking lyrics, and an a multi-tiered voice of rage. Another plus with Opeth is that they are grand storytellers. Each of the songs of "Ghost Reveries" carries on a story of loss and despair, twinged with hope, that I am still working to unwind.

Minuses: Depends on the listener. Their gritty and groaning vocals are not for everyone. But if you give Opeth a chance and listen past the growling, or try to listen deeper into the depths of the despair, you will be amazed at the diversity of Mikael Akerfeldt.

tyler

Little Whiskey
04-11-2006, 01:15 PM
what no country reviews jack?? shocking :shock:

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
what no country reviews jack?? shocking :shock:

I'll let you be the country expert Whiskey. I don't want to be the only one posting on this thread. :wink:

tyler

Anti-Polar Bear
04-11-2006, 01:47 PM
I know we're not supposed talk about soon to released albums, but I'm impatiently awaiting Snow Patrol's 4th album, "Eyes Open," which is scheduled to be out in the US on May 9th. I havent been this impatient since Coldplay's X&Y was coming out last year.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Speyesopen.JPG/200px-Speyesopen.JPG

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I know we're not supposed talk about soon to released albums, but I'm impatiently awaiting Snow Patrol's 4th album, "Eyes Open," which is scheduled to be out in the US on May 9th. I havent been this impatient since Coldplay's X&Y was coming out last year.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/80/Speyesopen.JPG/200px-Speyesopen.JPG

No worries. I'd rather not create rules. How about you update this post with a review once it comes out in a month? :D

tyler

Anti-Polar Bear
04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
No problem, will do.

Iron Mike
04-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I know we're not supposed talk about soon to released albums.

Who said??? I'll be all over this in a couple of weeks:

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/coverimages/M_682867_200.gif

Iron Mike
04-11-2006, 07:32 PM
How 'bout this one???

http://www.ultrastar.com/email/RHCP/030206/RHCPCover.jpg

GBRulz
04-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I was just browsing around on Itunes and it amazes me how so many artists think that by having one hit, they can put out a "greatest hits" album a year later.

An example "The very best of Aaron Carter". Um, ok. Sure. But did he even have ONE hit?? I think Hillary Duff is another one with a Greatest Hits album out now. What a joke.

Ok, an album that I highly recommend if you don't have it already is Jack Johnson !! He has such a unique sound. Makes me want to just sit on the beach with a drink in my hand.

and I know this won't be popular with the guys, but Madonna's latest is also very good. has a very disco/retro like feel to it.

GoPackGo
04-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I have 3 Jack Johnson albums...recommended

jack's smirking revenge
04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000E1ZBHM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56246507_.jpg
Title: "Operation: Mindcrime II"
Artist: Queensryche
Category: Hard Rock
Grade: F

I'm going to skip the plus/minus assessment for the review of this album. If you don't know Queensryche, then its no big deal. You're going to skip picking up this CD. But, if you do know Queensryche, and track them back all the way to 1988 when they released their masterpiece "Operation: Mindcrime", then you DEFINITELY should skip picking up this CD. Bottom line: its one of the worst rock CDs that I've heard in a while.

I've listened to it once and I think I'm going to put it up for purchase on Amazon. Nothing about this CD is remotely as good as the worst parts of the original Mindcrime. And its not because its a sequel and following a sequel is difficult. O:M II is just a horrible CD. Geoff Tate's singing sounds strained. The music is uninsipred. Honestly, the return of Mary as a ghost in some songs is probably the highlight. Even the guest vocals of Ronnie James Dio can't help this trainwreck. I had hoped the presence of Jason Slater (Snake River Conspiracy) would put them on the right path, but his production sounds just as bad.

I knew I shouldn't have purchased it, but, as a Queensryche fan, I thought I should at least give it a chance. If you're a Queensryche fan and you're reading this, learn from my mistake. Pass on this sequel and hope this band gives up on trying to duplicate their success of the past.

Like a QB far past his prime, trying to get that one last ring, Queensryche needs to ride off into the sunset. Count their winnings and recall the good ol' days, because things will never be that good again for them. Their attempt at resurrecting the Mindcrime franchise is proof of that.

jack's smirking revenge
04-17-2006, 09:17 AM
A gift for all of you who actually read this thread (and are fans of Tool). A link to the new Tool song "Vicarious"...

http://kate.circlestar.org/~mwt/tool-vicarious.mp3

DO NOT pass this link around. This is for my friends in the Packer Rats world only. The song is being released to radio today.

tyler

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the link, but a little heavy for me. Those into that genre should really like it, though.

billy_oliver880
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM

Brushfire Fairtales is my Fav....highly recommended. :thumbs up:

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:35 AM
What genre is that?

billy_oliver880
04-17-2006, 10:45 AM
What genre is that?

They call it adult alternative...I guess you could compare it to Dave Matthews?

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I like Dave Matthews. I'll have to take a listen to it.

Iron Mike
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
You can hear Jack Johnson's "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" here:

http://mal.otbservers.net

jack's smirking revenge
04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link, but a little heavy for me. Those into that genre should really like it, though.

Thanks for giving it a listen Zig. They're one of the biggest names in "mainstream" rock right now. It'll be wierd to hear this song on the radio. At 7 minutes long and without the typical rock hooks, it isn't likely to attrach new Tool fans.

tyler

GoPackGo
04-17-2006, 11:09 AM
A gift for all of you who actually read this thread (and are fans of Tool). A link to the new Tool song "Vicarious"...

http://kate.circlestar.org/~mwt/tool-vicarious.mp3

DO NOT pass this link around. This is for my friends in the Packer Rats world only. The song is being released to radio today.

tyler

thanks for sharing

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
You can hear Jack Johnson's "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" here:

http://mal.otbservers.netI know that song!! I guess the problem is I don't pay as much attention to Titles & Artist names as I did when I was younger. Yes, I do like this genre (among others).

Iron Mike
04-17-2006, 11:16 AM
I know that song!! I guess the problem is I don't pay as much attention to Titles & Artist names as I did when I was younger. Yes, I do like this genre (among others).

If you liked that, I'm gonna pimp Bob Schneider one more time......watch the video here:

http://www.bobschneidermusic.com/comewithmetonight/

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I've just finished listening to Placebo's recent album, "Meds", on Napster and all the tracks rock!!!. I am too lazy to write a review, but encourages everyone to check it out.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/Placebomeds.jpg/200px-Placebomeds.jpg

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I know that song!! I guess the problem is I don't pay as much attention to Titles & Artist names as I did when I was younger. Yes, I do like this genre (among others).

If you liked that, I'm gonna pimp Bob Schneider one more time......watch the video here:

http://www.bobschneidermusic.com/comewithmetonight/I like his voice. The vid was kinda crazy...Wonder if the EC considers him a hottie or not.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh shit!!! After reading Placebo's bio on wikipedia, i found out they are kind of a gay band (vocalist Brain Molko is bisexual, bass player Stefan Olsdal is gay). Honestly, listening to "Meds" was the first time I've ever listened to their music.

Nonetheless, "Meds" is pretty good, and as a heterosexual liberal, I won't let the band's sexualities prevent me from buying the album or listening to more of the band. I hope you all can find a way in your hearts do the same too.

:smile:

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't care who they sleep with, can they sing? Queen was a great band and Freddie was, shall we say, indiscriminate? Did it affect his singing?

billy_oliver880
04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't care who they sleep with, can they sing? Queen was a great band and Freddie was, shall we say, indiscriminate? Did it affect his singing?

Freddie is an amazing singer.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Your right. I would rather listen to a gay guy who can sing than a stright one who can't. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM

Freddie is an amazing singer.He really was. I haven't heard Queen's recent music, but I'm certain it can't compare.

GBRulz
04-17-2006, 09:16 PM
What genre is that?

I am not a fan of the Dave Mathews Band, but I love Jack Johnson.

GBRulz
04-17-2006, 09:21 PM
I really like the Red Hot Chili Peppers new song "Dani California". The album is out May 9 - can't wait to get that one!

I just bought LL Cool J's "Todd Smith" off itunes and will give it a listen and let you guys know what I think. I like the song "Control Myself" he sings with J Lo though..

billy_oliver880
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
What genre is that?

I am not a fan of the Dave Mathews Band, but I love Jack Johnson.

Jack Johnson has some super fun lyrics. :smile:

jack's smirking revenge
04-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Oh shit!!! After reading Placebo's bio on wikipedia, i found out they are kind of a gay band (vocalist Brain Molko is bisexual, bass player Stefan Olsdal is gay). Honestly, listening to "Meds" was the first time I've ever listened to their music.

Nonetheless, "Meds" is pretty good, and as a heterosexual liberal, I won't let the band's sexualities prevent me from buying the album or listening to more of the band. I hope you all can find a way in your hearts do the same too.

:smile:

I've always liked Placebo, ever since their "Pure Morning" single. Thanks for the head's up. I'll give it a listen.

tyler

Little Whiskey
04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Did it affect his singing?

uhh ya it did. didn't he die of AIDS which he contracted being "indiscriminate". I havn't heard him sing lately but i'm going to guess its not very good. death has the worst effect on you vocals.

jack's smirking revenge
04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
"A friend in needs a friend indeed,
A friend with weed is better,
A friend with breasts and all the rest,
A friend who's dressed in leather..."

:wink:

tyler

MJZiggy
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Did it affect his singing?

uhh ya it did. didn't he die of AIDS which he contracted being "indiscriminate". I havn't heard him sing lately but i'm going to guess its not very good. death has the worst effect on you vocals.Well, yes, I will have to give you that death can restrict the flow of oxygen to your vocal chords, and the elasticity of your jaw muscles, not to mention that decomposition is kind of a bitch, but...what were we talking about again?

Anti-Polar Bear
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
"A friend in needs a friend indeed,
A friend with weed is better,
A friend with breasts and all the rest,
A friend who's dressed in leather..."

:wink:

tyler

love that song. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
05-09-2006, 01:53 PM

Brushfire Fairtales is my Fav....highly recommended. :thumbs up:

Picked it up today and am listening to it now. Quite nice, relaxed, easygoing music with interesting lyrics. Thanks for the recommendation.

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Hank Williams III - Straight to Hell

This kid is a nut, going to see him in Lubbock 5/26

Yeah, it's country, but it rocks.

For older good stuff, Kings of Leon

Gonna try to see them at summerfest

Anti-Polar Bear
05-09-2006, 02:58 PM
the only country I listens to is Carrie Underwood, and even then I think she's letting her talent go to waste by singing the genre.

Dont take this the wrong way but country music SUCKS!

Eyes Open! Buy your Album today!

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
And I don't care for EMO, but that is OK, to each his own.

Also really like Lucero; Nobody's Darlings

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Hank Williams III - Straight to Hell

This kid is a nut, going to see him in Lubbock 5/26

Yeah, it's country, but it rocks.

For older good stuff, Kings of Leon

Gonna try to see them at summerfest

"Older good stuff, Kings of Leon," what do you mean? KOL have 2 cds and are kids.

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Cause they asked for reviews of new releases I thought.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Cause they asked for reviews of new releases I thought.

Gotcha.

Agreed on KOL. Seen them a couple of times, excellent.

If you haven't already, check out My Morning Jacket.

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Can't believe I'm fighting with ya on the other post, and loving ya on this one. Seen MMJ in Denver few years back. The parrot is a bit much. Great show.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Can't believe I'm fighting with ya on the other post, and loving ya on this one. Seen MMJ in Denver few years back. The parrot is a bit much. Great show.

Fighting: You just need to come over to the dark side, Luke. :mrgreen:

MMJ, great at Coachella.

Ever listen to Sparklehorse?

Badgepack
05-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Yup, like sparklehorse.

check out Lucero!!!!

Seen them in Lubbock

Highly recommended.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Yup, like sparklehorse.

check out Lucero!!!!

Seen them in Lubbock

Highly recommended.

Use to live in the South, so KOL and MMJ are required, along with Lambchop and Old 97's.

Lucero: Will check it out.

Listen to alot of Lips, Mercury Rev, Pernice Brothers, Elbow, the clientele.

BJM and offshoots?

packrulz
05-10-2006, 05:28 AM
The Cars have a new cd, "The New Cars", with Todd Rundgren taking over lead vocals for Ric Ocasek, who wants to go solo I guess. Todd copies Ric's vocal style which is usually a mistake but I think it works in this techno genre. I'm not into the Cars that much but I think people that are will like it. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers new one too.

Little Whiskey
05-10-2006, 10:40 AM
the only country I listens to is Carrie Underwood, and even then I think she's letting her talent go to waste by singing the genre.

country music is about life, the life most common people can relate too.

okay, que the stereotypes NOW.

by the way not all country music is about your dog dying, truck breaking down and your wife leaving. but even if it was, can't you relate to those thinkgs. ever had your dog die, or your car breakdown w/o any money to fix it, or your sig. other leave you for some reason or another?? see what i mean. its about life.

btw, Carrie underwoods song, Jesus take the wheel, is pretty good. she has a great voice that makes her songs believable.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-10-2006, 12:51 PM

by the way not all country music is about your dog dying, truck breaking down and your wife leaving. but even if it was, can't you relate to those thinkgs. ever had your dog die, or your car breakdown w/o any money to fix it, or your sig. other leave you for some reason or another?? see what i mean. its about life.

btw, Carrie underwoods song, Jesus take the wheel, is pretty good. she has a great voice that makes her songs believable.

I guess country music is just not my taste. I think I’ve only listened to two full country songs in my life: Underwoods’ “Some Hearts” (which sounds more like a rock song, imo) and Restless Heart’s “the Bluest eyes in Texas” (heard it for the first time on the transsexual movie Boys Don’t Cry)

Badgepack
05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Tank, smoke a fat one an listen to Johnny Cash ; American IV: The Man Comes Around, with the headphones on. You may still hate country music, but then again....

Badgepack
05-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Pearl Jam's new CD is pretty darn good, sounds like their first couple albums

jack's smirking revenge
06-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Anyone heard the new Zero 7 album "The Garden"? Curious if I should pick it up and am interested in a review.

tyler

Little Whiskey
06-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Anyone heard the new Zero 7 album "The Garden"? Curious if I should pick it up and am interested in a review.

tyler

no but the new toby keith cd, white trash with money, is pretty good, you should check that out. it has a couple more of his "bus songs" :mrgreen:

jack's smirking revenge
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM

tyler

no but the new toby keith cd, white trash with money, is pretty good, you should check that out. it has a couple more of his "bus songs" :mrgreen:

I'll get right on that Whiskey, just as soon as I become a NASCAR fan....

Redneck.

:lol:

tyler

Little Whiskey
06-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I'll get right on that Whiskey, just as soon as I become a NASCAR fan....

Redneck.

tyler

jack head on over to the race thread, we'll get you hooked up with a driver, then you can get hooked on nascar.

AtlPackFan
06-06-2006, 04:34 PM

"She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", Kenny Chesney???

Sorry, LW, but those lyrics sum up Country for me. I was almost hooked about 10 years back but it seems to have gone back to the twang and third-grade lyrics I detest.

Who knows, if Natalie Maines hadn't opened her big mouth, I still mbe listening. I heard the album they just released is their best yet but I can't bring myself to listen to it.

Musically, I think the women country artist are stronger than the men but they get about 1/2 the airplay.

All that said, to each his own! :mrgreen:

Anti-Polar Bear
06-06-2006, 07:32 PM

tyler

Hate to disappoint you Jack, but the album sounds a lot like a poor man's version of Coldplay, especially the songs "if I can't have you" and "your place." Despite the creative idea of composing an album with multiple vocalist, i must say, none of the singers measure up to Chris Martin, and therefore some songs become boring toward their conclusion; but thats just how i feel listening to it. Seems like most songs are instrumental with few lyrics, such as "your place" which have only 6 lines of lyrics but is 6 minutes long. "Seeing things" is all instrumental.

My favorite song is "crosses." Sounds a lot like Snow Patrol.

I'll grade it C+, for it's creativity and Coldplay-ish tone (on some songs)

jack's smirking revenge
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM

tyler

Hate to disappoint you Jack, but the album sounds a lot like a poor man's version of Coldplay, especially the songs "if I can't have you" and "your place." Despite the creative idea of composing an album with multiple vocalist, i must say, none of the singers measure up to Chris Martin, and therefore some songs become boring toward their conclusion; but thats just how i feel listening to it. Seems like most songs are instrumental with few lyrics, such as "your place" which have only 6 lines of lyrics but is 6 minutes long. "Seeing things" is all instrumental.

Thanks for the review Tank. I liked their stuff on the "Garden State" Soundtrack (and, yes, I liked the Coldplay song on there too), but haven't heard much else from them. Tried to find a link to a song on Amazon, but the CD is too new and they don't have clips up yet.

tyler

Badgepack
06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey Jack, check out Rhapsody Radio, you can sign up for free and get 25 free on demand songs each month. A great way to check out new songs.

I listened to a few of the songs from the Zero 7 album "The Garden, and personally did not care for it.

jack's smirking revenge
06-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Hey Jack, check out Rhapsody Radio, you can sign up for free and get 25 free on demand songs each month. A great way to check out new songs.

I listened to a few of the songs from the Zero 7 album "The Garden, and personally did not care for it.

Thanks for the head's up Badgepack! I'll give it a try.

tyler

AtlPackFan
06-07-2006, 10:06 AM
If this was posted and I missed it my apologies.

Artist: Antigone Rising
CD: From the Ground Up.

MJZiggy
06-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Could you please post the genre or a description of the music when posting new stuff because we have lots of different tastes in music in the forum.

Little Whiskey
06-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Could you please post the genre or a description of the music when posting new stuff because we have lots of different tastes in music in the forum.

sure, the toby keith album is Country. I would describe his music as outlaw country. :mrgreen:

LaFours
06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
So I saw the link to the new Tool album but no one reviewed it. I bought it the day it came out and I didn't take it out of my CD player for quite a while. Now though, I am sorry to say that it has lost some of its appeal. This album didn't maintain the intensity they left off with from Lateralus...but thats just me. I'd be interested in anybody else's take.

MadtownPacker
06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Welcome to PR LaFours.

I dont listen to country but some of it is cool. Does anyon eehere listen to reggaeton (latino hip-hop)?

jack's smirking revenge
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
So I saw the link to the new Tool album but no one reviewed it. I bought it the day it came out and I didn't take it out of my CD player for quite a while. Now though, I am sorry to say that it has lost some of its appeal. This album didn't maintain the intensity they left off with from Lateralus...but thats just me. I'd be interested in anybody else's take.

LaFours. Thanks for posting! Welcome to the forum. I'm the one who posted the link prior to its release to try to drum up some enthusiasm.

I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly on your experience with the new album. I don't find it as accessible as previous albums. Lateralus was definitely a good album, but I'm still looking for them to go back to the creativity and power of Aenima and Undertow ("Sober" is still my favorite Tool song, followed closely by "Aenema"). After giving it a listen quite a few times, the only song that has really stuck with me is "Jambi". I'll always love Tool and their creativity, but I'd have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll pick it up again in a couple months and try it again.

Right now, I'm into Sworn Enemy's "Beginning of the End" (metal).

tyler

AtlPackFan
06-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Sorry.

Picking a genre they fit into is a tough one...maybe a Folk Rock? Some have said Country but I don't hear it. Take a listen to some samples from the Amazon site (skip "Hello")

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3DG8U/102-8673645-3938564?v=glance&n=5174

This isn't normally my cup of tea but I like this.

Badgepack
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Pearl Jam is a alternative grunge rock type of band :mrgreen:

Little Whiskey
06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I dont listen to country but some of it is cool.

mad is the closet mexican redneck. come on mad we all saw the pic of you with the big belt buckle, the next pic with the nike cowboy boots, and now rolling with a stetson, and the longhorn hoody. who you kiddin! come clean and join me in the revolution!! next step, stop in on the race thread and let us hook you on nascar!! we've already started the brainwashing on jack. i think he is faultering!! :mrgreen:

jack's smirking revenge
06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I dont listen to country but some of it is cool.

mad is the closet mexican redneck. come on mad we all saw the pic of you with the big belt buckle, the next pic with the nike cowboy boots, and now rolling with a stetson, and the longhorn hoody. who you kiddin! come clean and join me in the revolution!! next step, stop in on the race thread and let us hook you on nascar!! we've already started the brainwashing on jack. i think he is faultering!! :mrgreen:

Whiskey's right. I've already plastered my car windows with brilliant racing decals (I don't think you can have enough window decals pimping your favorite driver) and purchased a colorful NASCAR jacket. I'm also planning on installing a gunrack in my Honda Civic coupe this weekend. The country conversion is a bit slower, but I'm working on it. I'm planning on watching CMT and hanging out at Wal-Mart and Farm & Fleet all weekend to complete my hee-hawness.

tyler

Little Whiskey
06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
that is a very good start jack. we just have to get you to dump that HONDA, and get into a nice FORD. preferably a 4x4 pickup!!!

if you need help picking out that gun rack, give me a shout.

LaFours
06-07-2006, 12:43 PM

LaFours. Thanks for posting! Welcome to the forum. I'm the one who posted the link prior to its release to try to drum up some enthusiasm.

I would have to agree with you wholeheartedly on your experience with the new album. I don't find it as accessible as previous albums. Lateralus was definitely a good album, but I'm still looking for them to go back to the creativity and power of Aenima and Undertow ("Sober" is still my favorite Tool song, followed closely by "Aenema"). After giving it a listen quite a few times, the only song that has really stuck with me is "Jambi". I'll always love Tool and their creativity, but I'd have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe I'll pick it up again in a couple months and try it again.

Right now, I'm into Sworn Enemy's "Beginning of the End" (metal).

tyler

I hear you loud and clear on Aemina and Undertow. I think Lateralus was at least comperable to those (in terms of energy) but they definitely supercede Lateralus. Before the new album came out I reflected on their entire catalogue and told myself if 10,000 Days was even close to Lateralus in terms of energy that it would rock. Unfortunately, it was not to be...but maybe it will grow with time.

MJZiggy
06-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Sorry.

Picking a genre they fit into is a tough one...maybe a Folk Rock? Some have said Country but I don't hear it. Take a listen to some samples from the Amazon site (skip "Hello")

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A3DG8U/102-8673645-3938564?v=glance&n=5174

This isn't normally my cup of tea but I like this.

I like it. Folk rock sounds like a good place to put it. It would be good for relaxing to. Still looking for new, fast, cleaning music though. 120-130 bpm would be nice.

Partial
06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Tank, I really hate to break it to you, but Coldplay is not that great of a band. They are popular because they have pop songs and martin has a catchy voice.

I suggest you check out broken social scene. There's a good band.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-07-2006, 02:29 PM

tyler

I haven't heard the new CD, but if you are interested in Zero 7, check out their first CD, Simple Things. Absolutely beautiful. A collection of laid-back soul, acid jazz, and funk tracks. Zero 7 is really just two producers that bring in singers. I have the second CD also, When it Falls..but, it is really all over the place and a disappointment.

Zero 7 is nowhere near coldplay. They are chill lounge music. Think lazy sunday mornings or cocktails in a stylish joint with a date.

APB is a bit to young to really appreciate Zero 7. As he says, boring. My guess is he would also find Koop, Bebel Gilberto, Thievery Corp, Air, Jazzanova, or even Massive Attack as boring.

Partial
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
some good tunes

Ryan Adams - 29
My Morning Jacket - Z
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Nickel Creek - Why Should the Fire Die?
The National - Alligator
Sigur Rós - Takk
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights
The Deadly Snakes - Porcella
Richard Hawley - Cole's Corner
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Született
Broken Social Scene-Broken Social Scene
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Doves - Some Cities
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Begonias
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Antony And the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs

Tyrone Bigguns
06-07-2006, 02:33 PM

tyler

I haven't heard the new CD, but if you are interested in Zero 7, check out their first CD, Simple Things. Absolutely beautiful. A collection of laid-back soul, acid jazz, and funk tracks. Zero 7 is really just two producers that bring in singers. I have the second CD also, When it Falls..but, it is really all over the place and a disappointment.

Zero 7 is nowhere near coldplay and to even make a comparison is foolish. They are chill lounge music. Think lazy sunday mornings or cocktails in a stylish joint with a date.

APB is a bit to young to really appreciate Zero 7. As he says, boring. My guess is he would also find Koop, Bebel Gilberto, Thievery Corp, Air, Jazzanova, or even Massive Attack as boring.

jack's smirking revenge
06-07-2006, 03:54 PM

I have to give a different opinion unfortunately. Based on your review, I picked up Pearl Jam's self-titled CD late last week. What stood out most for me is Eddie Vedder's screaming, strained vocals. "Ten" was a classic album ("Black" will always be one of my favorite PJ songs). "VS" was great and had some amazing, heartfelt songs. But I have to admit that nothing stood out for me on the new CD. It's packaged well and sounds slick but is somewhat hollow to me, much like the pitless fruit on the back of the package. The only song that really grabbed me was "Inside Job", but I only discovered that recently because I got bored with all of the rest of the songs that came before it.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

tyler

Badgepack
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
tyler, I have to admit that I read a good review of the new PJ album, downloaded (legally of course) quite a few songs, and liked them. However, the songs got real old real fast. Like many bands, it is hard for them to keep pace with the quality of thier first few albums. Ten and VS are hard to compete with. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

AtlPackFan
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Second Shift - Boozed and Bruised.
Alternative Rock with a 60s flavor.

http://www.secondshiftmusic.com/
Go to the media page and click on "Bethany". Ignore the cheezy video.

OK, yes, its my son's band...but I have to promote. He needs to make it big so I can retire to a house he buys my wife and I in Destin (or anywhere along the Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast)!

Badgepack
06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

!

Not bad at all, pretty good.
Which one is your kid, the one with the fro? :D

AtlPackFan
06-07-2006, 04:45 PM

!

Not bad at all, pretty good.
Which one is your kid, the one with the fro? :D

No, the tall one. He's the drummer.

Tyrone Bigguns
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
some good tunes

Ryan Adams - 29
My Morning Jacket - Z
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Nickel Creek - Why Should the Fire Die?
The National - Alligator
Sigur Rós - Takk
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights
The Deadly Snakes - Porcella
Richard Hawley - Cole's Corner
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Született
Broken Social Scene-Broken Social Scene
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Doves - Some Cities
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Caitlin Cary & Thad Cockrell - Begonias
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Antony And the Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
The New Pornographers - Twin Cinema
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs

Add the new Gomez CD to that list. Just saw them. Great show.

LaFours
06-08-2006, 07:28 AM

I have to give a different opinion unfortunately. Based on your review, I picked up Pearl Jam's self-titled CD late last week. What stood out most for me is Eddie Vedder's screaming, strained vocals. "Ten" was a classic album ("Black" will always be one of my favorite PJ songs). "VS" was great and had some amazing, heartfelt songs. But I have to admit that nothing stood out for me on the new CD. It's packaged well and sounds slick but is somewhat hollow to me, much like the pitless fruit on the back of the package. The only song that really grabbed me was "Inside Job", but I only discovered that recently because I got bored with all of the rest of the songs that came before it.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

I agree with that. The new Pearl Jam album function much like the new Tool album. Neither one lived up to my expectations. I guess thats what I get for putting my faith in mainstream rock to continue to crank out the hits.
tyler

jack's smirking revenge
06-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Live's "songs from Black Mountain".

Waste of time. Another bad CD by a once-proud and once-talented band.

tyler

Partial
07-17-2006, 12:00 AM
bump

Harlan Huckleby
07-17-2006, 07:19 AM
The Graying of the Record Store
By ALEX WILLIAMS
Published: July 16, 2006 NY TIMES

SO this is an evening rush?

The turnout is old school at shops like Norman’s Sound and Vision. Younger shoppers are busy downloading.

Norman Isaacs of Norman’s Sound and Vision remembers jam-packed aisles, but he has moved with the times. He sells used CD’s on the Web.
On a recent Monday, six people — soon enough four, then two — were browsing the bins of compact discs at Norman’s Sound and Vision, a music store on Cooper Square in Manhattan, around 6 p.m., a time that once constituted the daily rush hour. A decade ago, the number of shoppers might have been 20 or 30, said Norman Isaacs, the owner. Six people? He would have had that many working in the store.

“I used to make more in a day than I probably make in a week now,” said the shaven-headed Mr. Isaacs, 59, whose largely empty aisles brimming with punk, jazz, Latin music, and lots and lots of classic rock have left him, many afternoons, looking like a rock ’nÃ¢à ‚¬â„¢ roll version of the Maytag repairman. Just as troubling to Mr. Isaacs is the age of his clientele.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s much grayer,” he said mournfully.

The neighborhood record store was once a clubhouse for teenagers, a place to escape parents, burn allowances and absorb the latest trends in fashion as well as music. But these days it is fast becoming a temple of nostalgia for shoppers old enough to remember “Frampton Comes Alive!’à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢

In the era of iTunes and MySpace, the customer base that still thinks of recorded music as a physical commodity (that is, a CD), as opposed to a digital file to be downloaded, is shrinking and aging, further imperiling record stores already under pressure from mass-market discounters like Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

The bite that downloading has taken out of CD sales is well known — the compact disc market fell about 25 percent between 1999 and 2005, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, a trade organization. What that precipitous drop indicated by the figures doesn’t reveal is that this trend is turning many record stores into haunts for the gray-ponytail set. This is especially true of big-city stores that stock a wider range of music than the blockbuster acts.

“We don’t see the kids anymore,” said Thom Spennato, who owns Sound Track, a cozy store on busy Seventh Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. “That 12-to-15-year-old market, that’s what’s missing the last couple of years.”

Without that generation of buyers, the future looks bleak. “My landlord asked me if I wanted another 10-year lease, and I said no,” Mr. Spennato said. “I have four years left, then I’m out.”

Since late 2003, about 900 independent record stores have closed nationwide, leaving about 2,700, according to the Almighty Institute of Music Retail, a marketing research company in Studio City, Calif. In 2004, Tower Records, one of the nation’s largest chains, filed for bankruptcy protection.

Greta Perr, an owner of Future Legends, a new and used CD store on Ninth Avenue in Hell’s Kitchen, said that young people never really came back to her store after the Napster file-sharing upheaval of the late 90’s; she has responded by filling her windows with artists like Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen. “People come in and say: ‘I remember when I was 20, Steve Miller’s second record came out. Can I get that?’ ” she said.

Industry statistics bear out the graying of the CD-buying public. Purchases by shoppers between ages 15 and 19 represented 12 percent of recorded music in 2005, a decline from about 17 percent in 1996, according to the Recording Industry Association. Purchases by those 20 to 24 represented less than 13 percent in 2005, down from about 15 percent. Over the same period, the share of recorded music bought by adults over 45 rose to 25.5 percent, from 15 percent.

(The figures include CD’s and downloaded songs, with CD’s still an overwhelming share of the market in recorded music, 87 percent, in 2005.)

The dominance of older buyers is especially evident at smaller independent stores in metropolitan areas, where younger consumers tend to be more tech-oriented and older music fans tend to be more esoteric in their tastes, said Russ Crupnick, an analyst with the NPD Group, a market research firm.

At Norman’s, which is 15 years old and just around the corner from New York’s epicenter of punk, St. Marks Place, shoppers with nose rings and dewy cheeks are not unknown. But they may only be looking to use the automatic teller machine. A pair of teenagers — he with ink-black dyed hair, and she in ragged camouflage shorts — wandered in one evening recently and promptly froze in the doorway, stopped in their tracks by an Isaac Hayes cut from the 70’s.

They had the confused looks of would-be congregants who had stumbled into a church of the wrong denomination; they quickly shuffled off. Most of Norman’s other customers were old enough to remember eight-track tapes. Steven Russo, 53, for instance, was looking for jazz CD’s. Mr. Russo, a high school teacher in Valley Stream, N.Y., said that he values the store for its sense of camaraderie among cognoscenti as much as its selection. “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s the ability of people to talk to people about the music, to talk to personnel who are knowledgeable,” he said.

Richard Antone, a freelance writer from Newark whose hair was flecked with silver curls, said his weekly trip to the store is a visual experience as well as an auditory one. “I remember how people admired the artwork on an album like ‘Electric Ladyland’ or ‘Sgt. Pepper’ as much as the music,” he said.

The lost generation of young shoppers — for whom a CD is a silvery disc on which you burn your own songs and then label with a black marker — will probably spell doom for Norman’s within the next five years, said Mr. Isaacs, the owner. Several of his downtown competitors have already disappeared, he said.

Some independent owners are resisting the demographic challenges. Eric Levin, 36, who owns three Criminal Records stores in Atlanta and oversees a trade group called the Alliance of Independent Media Stores, representing 30 shops nationally, said that businesses losing young customers are “dinosaursà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ that have done nothing to cater to the new generation. Around the country, he said, shops like Grimey’s in Nashville, Shake It Records in Cincinnati and Other Music in New York are hanging on to young customers by evolving into one-stop hipster emporiums. Besides selling obscure CD’s and even vinyl records, many have diversified into comic books, Japanese robot toys and clothing. Some have opened adjoining nightclubs or, in Mr. Levin’s case, coffee shops.

“Kids don’t have to go to the record store like earlier generations,” Mr. Levin said. “You have to make them want to. You have to make it an event.”

But diversification is not always an option for smaller stores with little extra space, like Norman’s. Mr. Isaacs’s continued survival is due in part to a side business he runs selling used CD’s on Amazon and eBay. He buys them from walk-in customers who are often dumping entire collections.

Unlike the threatened independent bookstore, with its tattered rugs, dusty shelves and shedding cats, indie record stores in danger of disappearing do not inspire much hand-wringing, perhaps because they are not as celebrated in popular imagination as the quaint bookshop. (Record geeks can claim only “High Fidelity,Ã¢â‚¬â„¢à ¢â‚¬â„¢ the book and movie, as a nostalgic touchstone.)

Still, the passing of such places would be mourned.

Danny Fields, the Ramones’ first manager, points out that visiting Bleecker Bob’s on West Third Street in the late 70’s was “like experiencing the New York music scene” in miniature — it was a cultural locus, a trading post for all the latest punk trends. “Dropping into Bleecker Bob’s was like dropping into CBGB’s,à¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚ he said. (You can still drop into Bleecker Bob’s.)

Dave Marsh, the rock critic and author of books on popular music, noted that rockers like Jonathan Richman and Iggy Pop honed their edgy musical tastes working as record store clerks.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s part of the transmission of music,” said Mr. Marsh, who recalls being turned on to cult bands like the Fugs and the Mothers of Invention by the clerks at his local record store in his hometown, Waterford, Mich. “It seems like you can’t have a neighborhood without them.”

Zool
07-17-2006, 08:16 AM
If you guys havent tried it yet, use iTunes to listen to music clips. I've found bands on there I never thought I could.

Listen to Russian Circles if you havent yet. instrumental metal

Anti-Polar Bear
07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
If you guys havent tried it yet, use iTunes to listen to music clips. I've found bands on there I never thought I could.

I use Napster. About $15 a month. Gets to download all types of songs onto my Creative. Fuck Apple, and there Ipods. Buys the ones I really like. Most John Lennon songs you must pay for to listen too. Fuck.

Partial
07-20-2006, 12:22 AM
I encourage everyone who likes music to check out Original Pirate Material by The Streets. They're a brittish electronic hip-hop band. It's actually really cool. The songs are either really funny, or really serious. It's a high quality album. If I can point you towards one track to listen to 2-3 times, I would say go for "The Irony Of It All". I think Tank will have a particular affection to that song

Zool
07-20-2006, 08:20 AM

I use Napster. About $15 a month. Gets to download all types of songs onto my Creative. Fuck Apple, and there Ipods. Buys the ones I really like. Most John Lennon songs you must pay for to listen too. Fuck.

What I was saying about iTunes is you get 30 second clips to listen to very easily and the library is huge.

Zool
07-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Ping

Badgepack
08-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Just checked out Boy Hits Car's new CD, "The Passage".
Not as good as their 1st but pretty good.
"Sound of a Breaking Heart " stands out.

Hard to classify their music. The songs start out real mellow and end up thrashing it out. Never heard a male singer that can sing so well and scream/growl in the same verse.

GBRulz
09-05-2006, 07:37 PM
ok, I know this recommendation won't be real popular with most of the guys, but I have actually bought two albums in a row on on iTunes that I absolutely love.

Pink & Christina Aguilera. While I've always liked Pink, I wasn't a big fan of Christina, as I associated her with the Britney I can't sing Spears crowd. However, I like her new image and her CD is incredible....this girl can freaken sing.

SOOOOOOO excited that Justin's new CD comes out next Tuesday....

Also can't wait for Evanescence's new one coming out in October.

jack's smirking revenge
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Do you like Evanescence's "...Sober" song? I've been a big Evanescence fan, even back to "Origin", but just can't get into that song. Curious what you think.

tyler

BallHawk
09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Anybody here a Jimi Hendrix fan?

GBRulz
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Do you like Evanescence's "...Sober" song? I've been a big Evanescence fan, even back to "Origin", but just can't get into that song. Curious what you think.

tyler

It's growing on me, but it sounds almost too much like their first song...can't think of the name off hand.

TPF
09-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Love Evanesence.

Badgepack
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I am going to see Alice In Chains on Sept 29th, and I am very excited and had to let ya'll know. :mrgreen:

Does anybody know how the new singer sounds?

superfan
09-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Title: "Unlearn"
Artist: YoungBlood Brass Band
Category: umm... jazz, hip hop, funk, to name a few
Grade: B+

Imagine going to a live concert with absolutely no expectations and no knowledge about a band, and having your socks completely blown off. Oftentimes, you buy the album and experience a severe letdown -- certain bands just need to be seen live.

This is somewhat true with the YoungBlood Brass Band, a fairly unknown band with many of its members hailing from Madison, WI, and many (I believe) former Badger Band members in its numbers. The group is Parliament-esque on stage, featuring anywhere from one to two dozen people on stage at any given time. Live instruments include multiple bass drums, snare drums, trumpets, trombones, even a sousaphone. Somewhat surprisingly, not a single guitar to be found. My first reaction upon hearing them was a strange one -- bursts of spontaneous joy induced laughter. Not a common reaction, but not a common band either. I can best describe them by repeating a comment I made to a friend at the time -- "This is like Rage Against the Machine meets my high school marching band". And he agreed completely.

But enough with the concert review -- this is intended to be a music review, and the album reviewed is not a live album.

Pluses: A fresh, unique sound permeates the entire album. The first track, "BloodShot", is a solid overall song, although a bit too much in the rap anthem style for my tastes. Track 7, "Pastime Paradise", borrows heavily from Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" and the horn and drum combination works well here. My favorite is Track 12, "It's All Over", with a driving energy throughout and a brief stint of lyrics that every guy who has ever dumped (or is trying to dump) his woman would love to say.

Minuses: Although a solid album, it simply can't measure up to their live show. The experience of watching and listening to a veritable platoon of drums, horns, and vocals can't be translated directly to recordable media. Also there are four tracks on the album (referred to as various "feats" in the titles) that, while interesting in their own right, detract from the overall flow of the album. One of the feats is a sousaphone solo that sounds like a beatbox. So if you've ever wanted to hear a sousaphone that sounds like a beatbox before you die, you should check this out.

Recommendation: Check out Amazon for more reviews on the album and the band, iTunes, or go to the band website (youngbloodbrassband.com) for more details. DO NOT buy this album from amazon -- they are charging a ridiculous $60 for this album on Amazon. And if you have an opportunity to catch their show live, get your funky butt down there and have a blast.

jack's smirking revenge
09-07-2006, 09:00 AM

tyler

It's growing on me, but it sounds almost too much like their first song...can't think of the name off hand.

"Bring Me To Life". It was a great song for the first couple of months. I was instantly impressed when I saw it in Daredevil (that and "My Immortal". But man did that song get overplayed. Can't even listen to it now.

tyler

No Mo Moss
09-07-2006, 10:17 AM
The New Dylan is great. I'm going to see him in ND Friday. Can't Wait.

justanotherpackfan
09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Why doesn't anybody over 20 like rap or hip hop? Really, what do you have against it?

Partial
09-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Why doesn't anybody over 20 like rap or hip hop? Really, what do you have against it?

:razz: do you really want me to answer this?!? Outkast and the Black Eyed Peas are both catchy. But, rap isn't how it once was. Tubac was the man back in the day, songs with positive messages unlike Luda and today's rappers. Hip-hop hasn't really changed and is generally pretty catchy.

justanotherpackfan
09-08-2006, 10:52 PM

:razz: do you really want me to answer this?!? Outkast and the Black Eyed Peas are both catchy. But, rap isn't how it once was. Tubac was the man back in the day, songs with positive messages unlike Luda and today's rappers. Hip-hop hasn't really changed and is generally pretty catchy.
I'd say rap has plenty of positive messages. :lol:

I wasn't talk about black eyed peas and outkast. That stuff is crap. I'm talking about the good stuff like Chamillionaire, 50 Cent, Lloyd Banks, Youngbloodz. You can't tell me there is anything wrong with the song I'mma Shine.

superfan
09-09-2006, 12:26 AM

I was in my teens when rap started to take off, and I was a big fan of NWA, Eazy, Cube, Run-DMC, Beasties, Ice-T, LL Cool J, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane and many more. Not really into the newer stuff, but I haven't given it much of a chance either.

I recall at the time thinking "I'll ALWAYS love this and that will never change!". Well, it changed. I still like the old stuff, but more out of nostalgia than anything else.

As your life changes, your tastes change. That's about it. Except for fan loyalty. :smile:

jack's smirking revenge
09-09-2006, 07:38 AM

I was in my teens when rap started to take off, and I was a big fan of NWA, Eazy, Cube, Run-DMC, Beasties, Ice-T, LL Cool J, Slick Rick, Big Daddy Kane and many more. Not really into the newer stuff, but I haven't given it much of a chance either.

I recall at the time thinking "I'll ALWAYS love this and that will never change!". Well, it changed. I still like the old stuff, but more out of nostalgia than anything else.

As your life changes, your tastes change. That's about it. Except for fan loyalty. :smile:

Ditto superfan's message. I was into it once. For me, I'm not into the culture that goes along with it anymore. Personally, "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" is the wrong message to follow. If you let greed guide your life, you will have a frustrating and difficult existence....

tyler

Badgepack
09-12-2006, 02:43 PM
I think rap sucks, and I like all kinds of music.

There was one rap song that used Led Zep's Kashmir beat that was kinda cool.

Anyhow, one of my daughters installed Warez downloading software on her laptop and it messed up her computer big time. I got it cleaned up for her.

Are thare any recommendations for other services, Bearshare, Limewire, or others that anyone uses with little hassles?

Partial
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I think rap sucks, and I like all kinds of music.

There was one rap song that used Led Zep's Kashmir beat that was kinda cool.

Anyhow, one of my daughters installed Warez downloading software on her laptop and it messed up her computer big time. I got it cleaned up for her.

Are thare any recommendations for other services, Bearshare, Limewire, or others that anyone uses with little hassles?

Legal - iTunes Music Store, Napster

Illegal - Ares

Badgepack
09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks Partial,

Hows the Pioneers football team this year?

justanotherpackfan
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Illegal-Limewire has worked well for me. I'd have to reccomend it.

Badgepack
09-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I thought Limewire got shutdown.

justanotherpackfan
09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I thought Limewire got shutdown.
No, it still works for me. Where did you here this?

BallHawk
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Limewire works great. And what I love are the things you find on there, which you don't find on iTunes. Tons of jazz and orchestral music. Great selection of piano pieces(my favorite) and it's all free. Where else could I get 10 songs from SpongeBob Squarepants? :mrgreen:

J-Rok
09-12-2006, 09:39 PM
In the garbage? :wink:

The Walkmen's new cd = amazing

GBRulz
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
I use itunes, but yes, there are alot of songs on there that you can't find, so then I'll go to Limewire. It's the only P2P sharing platform that doesn't contain spyware (that I know of).

I highly suggest footing the $18 to buy the Limewire Pro version, you will be amazed at the faster download speeds and how many more items come up in searches.

In fact I'm upgrading to the latest version of itunes so I can buy Justin Timberlake's new CD...just released today!!! WOOT..I'm bringing sexy back.....

superfan
09-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Older versions of Limewire were notorious for spyware and other forms of malware. The new version appears to be clean, but I would still strongly recommend that you protect yourself as much as possible with updated AV and a decent firewall. Many of these programs not only serve up annoying third party apps and pop ups, but will even attempt to open ports on your computer that could allow your computer to be compromised.

I'm not really into p2p programs, but for those of you that are, this link will give you some info on the different apps available and risks they could pose. Somebody took the time to test different programs and record the results --

http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/

GBRulz
09-13-2006, 01:02 AM
good read, thanks for sharing.

I've never known Limeware to have spyware, but I've only been using it for a couple of years.

Had to upgrade the newest version of itunes tonight. Wow, major upgrade. They have movies for sale on there now. Now, I think movies are made to be watched on the big screen, but if you are traveling or something, it's a heck of an idea.

Partial
10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
its not new, but "ten" by Pearl Jam is one of the best albums of our time. I thought of this because I am listening to it while studying now.

jack's smirking revenge
10-10-2006, 11:38 AM
its not new, but "ten" by Pearl Jam is one of the best albums of our time. I thought of this because I am listening to it while studying now.

Agreed.

tyler

Partial
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
good read, thanks for sharing.

I've never known Limeware to have spyware, but I've only been using it for a couple of years.

Had to upgrade the newest version of itunes tonight. Wow, major upgrade. They have movies for sale on there now. Now, I think movies are made to be watched on the big screen, but if you are traveling or something, it's a heck of an idea.

I really HATE the new iTunes because it breaks all of the user interface conventions that Apple has within their operating system. It sticks out like a sore thumb and is just flat out ugly on the eyes now. iTunes 4 was so pretty back in the day.

I use iTunes as my jukebox of choice, but I really wish they would strip all the video viewing elements out of it and throw them into a seperate program. I am a firm believer in several small programs that do what they are supposed to do well, rather than something like iTunes that does everything acceptable, but nothing great.

Sorry about the rant, it just irritates me.

As for a GREAT p2p, Ares is just about the best in the biz! It's an open-source client, and I don't know what sort of technology is different in it, but it only searches the Ares network, versus the gnutella one that Limewire searches. The ares network is loaded with goodies and willing users that share. It is the new big P2p on college campuses.

I use that, or bit torrent.