PDA

View Full Version : Zorro returns

rbaloha1
10-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Linebacker Frank Zombo took part in practice today for the first time since he broke his scapula in the Aug. 19 preseason game against Arizona.

Zombo was actually in pads while the rest of the players were not, so it could be just a trial return.

Also returning were running back Ryan Grant (kidney) and linebacker Jamari Lattimore. Both missed Sunday’s win over Denver.

Not practicing were: cornerback Charles Woodson, safety Nick Collins, linebacker Clay Matthews, right tackle Bryan Bulaga, receiver Donald Driver, tight end Andrew Quarless and defensive end Mike Neal. Quarless is the only new injury of the group.

We’ll have the official participation report and comments from coach Mike McCarthy after practice concludes at around 1:25 p.m.

smuggler
10-06-2011, 03:43 AM
So Nick still isn't on IR? Why are they dragging their feet on this? He had two vertebrae fused. He's done.

pittstang5
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM
So Nick still isn't on IR? Why are they dragging their feet on this? He had two vertebrae fused. He's done.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought maybe there might be a shred of hope that he could return, even though McCarthy said repeatedly that he was done for the year. But now that I heard the surgery deal, there's no way he's coming back this year.

Is there a financial implication if they put him on IR? I just don't get it.

Joemailman
10-06-2011, 06:23 AM
I think they're waiting to decide who they want to replace him with. My guess is that they're required to maintain a 53 man roster, and if they put him on IR, they have to add someone. They don't have a ton of injuries like last year, so it's not like they need the roster spot right now.

Guiness
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
There was a post earlier about some obfuscate rule that changes the rules about who can be on your practice squad if your 53 man roster is not full.

denverYooper
10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
They secretly know he'll make it back for the playoffs to the surprise of opposing offenses...

\conspiracy

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
What does the board think -- Does Zombo help the current state of the defense? I say yes.

Zool
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
If he can generate any sort of QB pressure opposite 52 then he will help. Remains to be seen.

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 12:20 PM
If he can generate any sort of QB pressure opposite 52 then he will help. Remains to be seen.

Expect a good pass rush due to energy and fresh legs. Zombo also improved run play. Thought Zombo would win the starting job. Walden lacks instincts -- relies too much on athleticism.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Zombo was more of a run stopper, but he has to better than Walden who has not impressed at all. This whole linebacking corps is off right now.

Pugger
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
What does the board think -- Does Zombo help the current state of the defense? I say yes.

He can't be any worse than Walden's lousy pass rushing skills. :-\

pittstang5
10-06-2011, 02:13 PM
He can't be any worse than Walden's lousy pass rushing skills. :-\

Agreed. I don't see him nor hear his named called for anything, except against the Bears for that penalty.

Instead of Where's Waldo, it should be named Where's Walden?

Fritz
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Walden reminds me of KGB at the end, rushing the passer: a lot of outside speed rushes and getting pushed outside, far from the QB.

pbmax
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Zombo was actually getting some push at the end last year and was the only one to get to Rothliesberger in the SB. If healthy, he could help. But its going to take a couple of weeks to get up to speed for him.

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Walden reminds me of KGB at the end, rushing the passer: a lot of outside speed rushes and getting pushed outside, far from the QB.

He's not going to overpower an OT too often unless he catches them off-balance, he's gotta go speed on them.

CaliforniaCheez
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Nick Collins gets paid the same IR or not. The Packers are saving money by not promoting some undeserving player. The fact that Collins is not on IR is a sign of confidence the Packers have. With Zombo and Neal returning there is less pressure to add anyone to the team.
The longer Collins is on the active roster the better.

He is saving about $15K every week of important cap dollars. If Nick Collins stays on the active long enough he could save $200K.

Fritz
10-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Nick Collins gets paid the same IR or not. The Packers are saving money by not promoting some undeserving player. The fact that Collins is not on IR is a sign of confidence the Packers have. With Zombo and Neal returning there is less pressure to add anyone to the team.
The longer Collins is on the active roster the better.

He is saving about $15K every week of important cap dollars. If Nick Collins stays on the active long enough he could save $200K.

Isn't that enough to pay an undrafted street free agent hot dog vendor next year?