PDA

View Full Version : Cost of the Corps

ThunderDan
10-06-2011, 10:47 AM
The WR corps that is.

Just had a talk with a friend about the Packers WR corps.

We thought you could make a good argument that the Packers have the best group of WR in the league. Then we got to talking about where we picked them up in the draft.

DD - 7th round
Jennings - 2nd round
JJ - 3rd round
Jordy Nelson - 2nd round
Cobb - 2nd round

Not a single 1st round pick in the bunch.

Look at ATL:
Julio Jones - 1st round (cost 5 total draft choices)
Weems - Undrafted FA
Douglas - 3rd round
Meier - 5th round
R White - 1st round

Tampa was discussed in another thread:
A Benn - 2nd round
Briscoe - Undrafted FA
Parker - Undrafted FA
Stroughter - 7th round
Spurlock - FA signing from SF
Williams - 4th round

Interesting to see the difference in teams' approaches.

denverYooper
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM
While not a WR by title, I'd include Finley in our group... Same might be said for Gonzo on ATL.

ThunderDan
10-06-2011, 10:57 AM
While not a WR by title, I'd include Finley in our group... Same might be said for Gonzo on ATL.

Finley - 3rd round
Gonzo - Trade From KC (1st round )

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Recall Ron Wolf saying wr was always the toughest position to evaluate in the draft. RW never drafted a wr in the first round.

Given the advent of college spread offenses evaluated wr is tougher. Heard Bill Polian say that wr in spread offenses run to open spots.

Its obvious TT evaluates wrs correctly.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Ron Wolf and Mike Sherman had very little ability to draft WR. They had one hit combined in Javon Walker in terms of high draft picks. It is almost better to wait on WR and Defensive line in the draft than to expell high first round picks on them. Draft defensive backs high, offensive tackles high, Starting caliber QBs high, possible pass rushers high. Running backs in terms of value can be found after round one, WRs and Defensive Tackles are sketchy so it is best to wait on guys like Cobb and Jennings then to blow high picks on high ceiling low production guys in the first round.

I believe Robert Brooks was a second day pick maybe a 3rd round pick? I am too lazy to look it up. Freeman was a 5th rounder?

Guiness
10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Tampa's WR corps is bargain basement for sure.

I'm surprised at UDFA's at that position. WR is such a 'tools' dependent position, you wouldn't think the guys who have the basic building blocks would slip through the cracks. Guys like DD found in the 7th round are oddities, aren't they? Any other starting WR's in the NFL that are 7th round of UDFA?

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Ron Wolf and Mike Sherman had very little ability to draft WR. They had one hit combined in Javon Walker in terms of high draft picks. It is almost better to wait on WR and Defensive line in the draft than to expell high first round picks on them. Draft defensive backs high, offensive tackles high, Starting caliber QBs high, possible pass rushers high. Running backs in terms of value can be found after round one, WRs and Defensive Tackles are sketchy so it is best to wait on guys like Cobb and Jennings then to blow high picks on high ceiling low production guys in the first round.

I believe Robert Brooks was a second day pick maybe a 3rd round pick? I am too lazy to look it up. Freeman was a 5th rounder?

Freeman - 3rd round
Chmura - 6th round
Schroeder - 7th round
DD - 7th round

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
I can't believe Free was a third rounder, heck of a route runner, but he was so slow. He broke in with the Packers as a punt returner. I remember because he made a couple of nice returns and then he worked his way up the depth chart and became the number one receiver in 1996 when Brooks blew out his knee against the 49ers on Monday Night Football.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Tampa spent high picks on wide outs that didn't pan out. Clayton? From LSU was a first rounder that failed under Gruden.

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I can't believe Free was a third rounder, heck of a route runner, but he was so slow. He broke in with the Packers as a punt returner. I remember because he made a couple of nice returns and then he worked his way up the depth chart and became the number one receiver in 1996 when Brooks blew out his knee against the 49ers on Monday Night Football.

Poor 40 time plus ran ugly. Body and shoulder fakes was the key to AF. Once speed was greatly diminished AF could not play in the NFL.

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Tampa spent high picks on wide outs that didn't pan out. Clayton? From LSU was a first rounder that failed under Gruden.

SEC has physical specimens with primitive offenses.

CaliforniaCheez
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
You are only talking about the initial investment and not the ongoing contracts.

I think with the drafting of Cobb that Robert Ferguson, I mean James Jones, certainly was expendable.

I hope that Donald Driver does not become expendable next season but it could be that he is asked to depart.

It appears that cap casualties are going to be an annual event. The Packers are overpaying Jones now but maybe not in 2 years.

Joemailman
10-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Brooks was a 2nd round pick in 1992. Freeman was a 3rd round pick in1995. Wolf never drafted a WR in the 1st round. His preference was to make sure Favre was protected, so he drafted 3 Ol in the 1st round, as well as Clifton in the 2nd.

RashanGary
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Freeman was a great player. He didn't take care of his body. Incredibly savvy, similar to Jennings that way.

Upnorth
10-06-2011, 05:21 PM
You are only talking about the initial investment and not the ongoing contracts.

I think with the drafting of Cobb that Robert Ferguson, I mean James Jones, certainly was expendable.

I hope that Donald Driver does not become expendable next season but it could be that he is asked to depart.

It appears that cap casualties are going to be an annual event. The Packers are overpaying Jones now but maybe not in 2 years.

RF as JJ best post of day

smuggler
10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Jennings is better after the catch, but in his prime, Freeman was probably a little better receiver. Except he dropped a TD pass in a Super Bowl that we lost by 7.

red
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Jennings is better after the catch, but in his prime, Freeman was probably a little better receiver. Except he dropped a TD pass in a Super Bowl that we lost by 7.

i think jennings is better than freeman was

to me AF= driver in his prime

freeman was a good wr, but he was the only legit option favre had at the time so his number are a bit more inflated. jenning has 5 other targets to compete with and still put up great numbers

Upnorth
10-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Freeman did benifit from a lack of good talent around him, but he had amazing skills as well. Favre to Freeman was an awesome combo for a few years.

rbaloha1
10-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Freeman did benifit from a lack of good talent around him, but he had amazing skills as well. Favre to Freeman was an awesome combo for a few years.

50+ touchdowns. At the time it was one of the most prolific combos in NFL History.

pbmax
10-06-2011, 10:13 PM

I am going to disagree here. Freeman might have been a little bigger but no more durable and Jennings has all the makings of a #1 receiver for years, Freeman made it last for 2.5. The only I thing I see with later career Free and Brett above GJ was the ability to kill zones. If Aaron and crew experience enough of those things, and learn to sit in the holes, Cover 2 will not longer be a problem, Finley or no.

vince
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I am going to disagree here. Freeman might have been a little bigger but no more durable and Jennings has all the makings of a #1 receiver for years, Freeman made it last for 2.5. The only I thing I see with later career Free and Brett above GJ was the ability to kill zones. If Aaron and crew experience enough of those things, and learn to sit in the holes, Cover 2 will not longer be a problem, Finley or no.
I agree. I can't think of anything Freeman did better than Jennings, except maybe catch passes while lying on his back.

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I think Jennings is much better than Freeman. Don't get me wrong, Freeman was solid (ala Robert Brooks, Donald Driver). Jennings is an elite receiver that is still underrated. IMHO, he's the 4th best WR in Packers history--behind Hutson, Lofton, and Sharpe.

Freak Out
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I think Jennings is much better than Freeman. Don't get me wrong, Freeman was solid (ala Robert Brooks, Donald Driver). Jennings is an elite receiver that is still underrated. IMHO, he's the 4th best WR in Packers history--behind Hutson, Lofton, and Sharpe.

Agree 100 percent. Free was good, and pretty tough to boot.... but Jennings is at another level.

Fritz
10-07-2011, 05:32 AM
I still think Robert Brooks is underrated. He was smooth and ran routes well, had the hands. If he hadn't gotten hurt, we'd all be comparing him to Jennings instead of Freeman to Jennings.

Deputy Nutz
10-07-2011, 08:05 AM
And if Sharpe didn't get hurt we would be asking ourselves who was better, Rice or Sharpe.

pbmax
10-07-2011, 08:41 AM
And if Sharpe didn't get hurt we would be asking ourselves who was better, Rice or Sharpe.

Few will remember it that way, but most considered it an open question at the time.

Guiness
10-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Few will remember it that way, but most considered it an open question at the time.

In the end, you think it would have come down to work ethic. Rice stayed at the top of his game for a long time, came back from a bad injury. Would Sharpe have persevered that long? Shannon did.

Packers4Glory
10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
RF as JJ best post of day
not really. Not even a good comp.

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I remember thinking if that idiot could just catch the ball he would be good. I now think with JJ if that idiot could just catch the ball he would be good. Before some one pointed it out I never put two and two toghether. That is why I thought it was the best post that day (which I had read). It showed me something that when you look at it might be very very right which I never thought of before then. I( think it is a great comparision.

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 05:46 PM
So in my opinion the best WR corps are GB, NE, NO, SD, DET, and BUF. Any one care to do the work so we can compare them? I started but then had clients come in.

Packers4Glory
10-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I remember thinking if that idiot could just catch the ball he would be good. I now think with JJ if that idiot could just catch the ball he would be good. Before some one pointed it out I never put two and two toghether. That is why I thought it was the best post that day (which I had read). It showed me something that when you look at it might be very very right which I never thought of before then. I( think it is a great comparision.
really not fair considering Nelson dropped more balls than JJ. JJ's were more apparent because like 3 of them were bombs that would have been a TD.

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
really not fair considering Nelson dropped more balls than JJ. JJ's were more apparent because like 3 of them were bombs that would have been a TD.

And were easy catches, just like ferguson's, which was the point. Frustrating to no end when an easy 6 is taken away.

Packers4Glory
10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
And were easy catches, just like ferguson's, which was the point. Frustrating to no end when an easy 6 is taken away.

a drop is a drop and Nelson had more of them. Both had about the same number of targets if i remember correctly. Nelson, despite the huge Super Bowl numbers, should have had a lot more yards because of several drops in that game. Rodgers would have had unholy numbers had he caught those balls.

King Friday
10-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Once BRETT FAVRE WASN'T HIS QB AF could not play in the NFL.

Fixed. Brett Favre's cannon arm and ability to extend plays with his feet are what made Freeman. Freeman was an average WR in terms of talent and ability IMO. It is not a coincidence that both Freeman and Schroeder just disappeared the minute they left GB. Favre made both look far better than they really were. Freeman did have a clutch factor to him...I'll give him that. He was reliable (compare to a James Jones, who makes you pull your hair out) but I can't see him having anything close to 50 career TDs without an elite QB like Favre in his prime throwing him the ball.