PDA

View Full Version : Will AR have a better career than Favre?

Tony Oday
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Head to head so far AR is on pace to have a better career. what do you think?

Joemailman
10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
He'll have a hard time breaking Favre's career records because he started later as a starter, and because he probably won't play until he's 40+. He has a great chance to win more titles than Favre. In fact, if he doesn't, we'll all be wondering what the hell happened.

Tony Oday
10-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Both won the superbowl at 27 and I think AR will win more championships and be the best QB we have seen...oh and he wont put on Vikings Purple.

Scott Campbell
10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Aaron is a far better human being.

mmmdk
10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
The force is strong with young Aaron Rodgers.

Darth Favre turned purpleside. You can't win Darth Favre. If you strike Aaron Rodgers down, he shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

...Oh you went on and did it, didn't you, Darth Favre?

Well, thanks. The force will be with you, Aaron Rodgers. Always.

May the :pack: force be with you.

channtheman
10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I think Rodgers is already better than Favre. If he wins 1 more Super Bowl than everyone else will see it to.

Lurker64
10-07-2011, 08:01 PM
In the record books, unlikely (since that INTs record is pretty untouchable)... but in the hearts and minds of Packer fans? Absolutely. Rodgers has a pretty good chance of surpassing Favre in hardware, but those 3 MVPs are going to be hard to touch since the media still thinks so highly of Brady.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I think Graham Harrell is the guy to keep an eye on.

Joemailman
10-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Just looking at the TD pass record, Aaron is the same age that Favre was heading into the 1997 season. At that point Favre had 147 TD passes. Aaron entered this season with 99. If Aaron plays another 10 years including this one, he would need to average 41 TD passes per year to match Favre. If he averaged 30 TD passes per year, he would have to play another 14 years. Same thing with career passing yards. If Aaron averaged 4000 yards per season, he would have to play another 14 years to match Favre, So, the records will be Favre's. The titles will probably favor Rodgers. My guess is Rodgers will win the hearts and minds of the Packer faithful.

denverYooper
10-07-2011, 08:29 PM
In the record books, unlikely (since that INTs record is pretty untouchable)... but in the hearts and minds of Packer fans? Absolutely. Rodgers has a pretty good chance of surpassing Favre in hardware, but those 3 MVPs are going to be hard to touch since the media still thinks so highly of Brady.

Brady and Brees will make it difficult to get that many MVPs for sure. Rodgers is entering his prime, though, and if the Packers can keep him well-protected and surrounded by targets, we should see a pretty amazing few years. He currently holds the highest-ever passer rating, so that'll be worth something. I don't think he'll hit some of Favre's amazing marks in the end. Someone (I think Patler) said last year when Rodg got his second concussion that he believes Aaron will be the kind of guy that can just walk away from the game if he feels it's going to be a drag on his long-term health. I agree with that, and feel that he will not hit some of the volume stats. But we could very well see some recordbreaking single-season and efficiency numbers.

I don't think we can really decide between the 2 though. Favre was a different style from a different era. He was the best of his time just like Rodgers has a good shot to be the best of his.

Joemailman
10-07-2011, 08:32 PM
I think Graham Harrell is the guy to keep an eye on.

Yes, I heard you've had your eye on Graham Harrell.

denverYooper
10-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Just looking at the TD pass record, Aaron is the same age that Favre was heading into the 1997 season. At that point Favre had 147 TD passes. Aaron entered this season with 99. If Aaron plays another 10 years including this one, he would need to average 41 TD passes per year to match Favre. If he averaged 30 TD passes per year, he would have to play another 14 years. Same thing with career passing yards. If Aaron averaged 4000 yards per season, he would have to play another 14 years to match Favre, So, the records will be Favre's. The titles will probably favor Rodgers. My guess is Rodgers will win the hearts and minds of the Packer faithful.

It's all about the dismount. Favre sure botched his.

It brings me back to the 49er comparison though... In the end they're both remembered as greats and fans had a great run.

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I hope he becomes the greatest qb in history, it would be awesome to see arod take that trophy from starr. Just so long as the GOAT stays with the pack.

The Shadow
10-07-2011, 09:14 PM
So far :
1. Starr
2. Rodgers
3. Favre
4. Dickey

mraynrand
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
So far :
1. Starr
2. Rodgers
3. Favre
4. Herber
5. Dickey

Fixed

Upnorth
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
1 Starr
2 Herber
3 Arod
4 Farve
5 Majik
6 Dickey

You know, we have had some of the greatest qb's in history, 4 of them, but after the 5th qb it goes to crap really quick. Talk about feast and famine.

vince
10-07-2011, 11:40 PM
1 Starr
2 Favre
3 Arod
4 Arnie Herber
5 Cecil Isbell
6 Red Dunn
7 Tobin Rote
8 Lynn Dickey
9 Majik
10 Indian Jack Jacobs

There isn't a franchise that can hold the jock of that all-time list of quarterbacks. Not. Even. Close.
Arod will supplant Favre one day. He's got it all. But he hasn't yet.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM
1 Starr
2 Herber
3 Arod
4 Farve
5 Majik
6 Dickey

You know, we have had some of the greatest qb's in history, 4 of them, but after the 5th qb it goes to crap really quick. Talk about feast and famine.

Dickey was better than Majkowski. Majik Man, even though I love him for the good season or two he had in a time when our team was horrible, is probably the most overrated player in team history.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Depends on how you judge. Rodgers won't have the career numbers, but I'd be surprised if he didn't end up being a better QB at his best than Favre was. He might be there already.

Right now, I'd go with Vince's list, but I'd probably have Favre over Starr--which pains me to say. Hard to compare the two though.

smuggler
10-07-2011, 11:52 PM
What, no Scott Hunter?

King Friday
10-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Rodgers' career has only just begun (we hope) so it is impossible to suggest he compares favorably to Favre just yet. It will take at least one more ring and 4-5 more Pro Bowl caliber seasons before Rodgers is truly on par with Favre. I certainly would be willing to bet that Rodgers makes good on that. The scary thing is that he will only get BETTER over the next 3-4 years, just as Tom Brady did in the second half of the previous decade. With the surplus of receiving talent on the roster, Rodgers is primed to have one of the greatest QB careers of all-time.

Starr obviously had the most successful career of any Packer QB by a wide margin due to the titles, although he is probably only the 4th most talented QB to wear the green and gold. Rodgers is probably one of the very few who actually has a legitimate chance at establishing a career that eclipses Starr's. I think it would take 3 SB wins in the modern era to compare favorably to what Starr accomplished, since it certainly is much harder to consistently win today with three times as many franchises fighting for the title, plus free agency.

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2011, 01:04 AM
It will take at least one more ring and 4-5 more Pro Bowl caliber seasons before Rodgers is truly on par with Favre.

I'd agree with this.

King Friday
10-08-2011, 01:21 AM
Depends on how you judge. Rodgers won't have the career numbers, but I'd be surprised if he didn't end up being a better QB at his best than Favre was. He might be there already.

Very hard to compare the two, really. Their games are polar opposites. Favre played on a knife's edge...relying on his superior physical talent to accomplish throws that 99% of other NFL QBs could never come close to imitating. Because of that, he threw TD passes that no one else could throw...as well as INTs. Rodgers relies far more on a cerebral approach.

The beauty of both players was that they are able to blend both styles to a degree. Favre's decision making during his MVP run was actually very good (as opposed to later in his career) and was what drove the heightened level of play over such a long period of time. Rodgers certainly has that ability to take chances when needed, although he clearly still applies logic even in those situations.

Rodgers is considerably more accurate than Favre, which is probably the ultimate reason why Rodgers will ultimately eclipse Favre. Both have comparable mobility. Favre's arm strength is slightly better, but that is basically a moot point since Rodgers' arm is elite on its own right. Both are natural leaders who make the players around them better. Rodgers' accuracy is uncanny...probably top 3 all-time IMO with Montana and Brady. He can put it *right there* when he has to...and the number of guys in league history who could do that for the better part of their career can probably be counted with the fingers on one hand. Granted, that kind of accuracy wasn't even really thought of prior to the modern era, but even during the last 30 years there aren't many guys who consistently thread the needle like Rodgers. That accuracy leads to more big plays for the offense and fewer big plays for the defense...which is why Rodgers seems practically invincible at this point.

wpony
10-08-2011, 01:32 AM
King Friday I could not agree more with everything you said going right back to Star ,Star was not the most talented QB but propably one of the smartest, Farve was talented but not the smartest in Rogers we have the closesest thing to a complete QB that has been seen in yrs very smart and very talented (I think he will pass every GB qb that ever lived if he stays healthy both mentaly and physically

Pugger
10-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Right now, I'd go with Vince's list, but I'd probably have Favre over Starr--which pains me to say. Hard to compare the two though.

Because of Starr's multiple championships I'll always have Starr over Favre and most likely the rest of the QBs listed here.

Brandon494
10-08-2011, 06:17 AM
wow really? Whats next a poll on which QB has a bigger dick?

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 07:00 AM

Well, I can tell you which one probably wouldn't win that one, but I'll need to see the rest of them to be sure.

sheepshead
10-08-2011, 07:23 AM
The answers are future tense and present tense.

If Rodgers stays healthy he has an opportunity to over shadow a legend. Off field stuff aside Brett Favre is the best football player to wear the green and gold ever. No one even comes close.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2011, 12:37 PM
No one even comes close.
silly

pbmax
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Aaron is a far better human being.

Perhaps, but we really don't know that, do we?

pbmax
10-08-2011, 03:43 PM
1 Starr
2 Favre
3 Arod
4 Arnie Herber
5 Cecil Isbell
6 Red Dunn
7 Tobin Rote
8 Lynn Dickey
9 Majik
10 Indian Jack Jacobs

There isn't a franchise that can hold the jock of that all-time list of quarterbacks. Not. Even. Close.
Arod will supplant Favre one day. He's got it all. But he hasn't yet.

Ahem.

Cleveland/Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams
1. Roman Gabriel
2. Norm Van Brocklin
3. Kurt Warner
4. Bob Waterfield
5. Jim Everett

San Francisco 49ers
1. Joe Montana
2. Steve Young
3. John Brodie
4. Y.A. Tittle
5. Jeff Garcia

Philadelphia Eagles
1. Donovan McNabb.
2. Norm Van Brocklin
3. Ron Jaworski
4. Randall Cunningham
5. Sonny Jurgensen

Dallas Cowboys
1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Don Meredith
4. Danny White
5. Tony Romo

Cleveland Browns
1. Otto Graham
2. Frank Ryan
3. Bernie Kosar
4. Brian Sipe
5. Milt Plum

Now, if we are simply going to reduce QB play down to the lowest common denominators (did he win a Super Bowl/NFL Championship? OR how many TDs did he throw?) then its going to be an uninteresting argument. But who was the best QBs on a franchise? Great argument. See my new thread for the list of candidates.

vince
10-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't see a list there that compares, although I admit I'm as bullish as you can get on Rodgers. The top 3 for the Packers is unequalled and then the list goes deeper for the Packers than any other team with Pro Bowl quality guys from every era. 49ers probably come the closest IMO. Obviously we have nothing but our opinions though.

I don't know how long he was an Eagle, but I'd move Sonny Jurgensen and Norm Van Brocklin up on the Eagles' list.

Edit: He was an Eagle for 7 and a Redskin for 11.

MadtownPacker
10-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Ahh, so lets shut this thread down too as you have mentioned on other threads you dont like or agree with.

Peeps are talking just fine on this thread so if you dont like it fucking ignore it. You use to be cool but every since you let skinbasket get to you you have acted like a jaded little bitch. Let others enjoy the discussion because it is a legit one.

sheepshead
10-09-2011, 09:13 AM
silly

Its not. Not really. Stats bear this out. If the question is a popularity contest well then there is no end to that discussion.

vince
10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Its not. Not really. Stats bear this out. If the question is a popularity contest well then there is no end to that discussion.
The Definitive List (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2103_The_definitive_list:_Top_10_NFL_quarterbac ks.html)

Fritz
10-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Rodgers' career has only just begun (we hope) so it is impossible to suggest he compares favorably to Favre just yet. It will take at least one more ring and 4-5 more Pro Bowl caliber seasons before Rodgers is truly on par with Favre. I certainly would be willing to bet that Rodgers makes good on that. The scary thing is that he will only get BETTER over the next 3-4 years, just as Tom Brady did in the second half of the previous decade. With the surplus of receiving talent on the roster, Rodgers is primed to have one of the greatest QB careers of all-time.

Starr obviously had the most successful career of any Packer QB by a wide margin due to the titles, although he is probably only the 4th most talented QB to wear the green and gold. Rodgers is probably one of the very few who actually has a legitimate chance at establishing a career that eclipses Starr's. I think it would take 3 SB wins in the modern era to compare favorably to what Starr accomplished, since it certainly is much harder to consistently win today with three times as many franchises fighting for the title, plus free agency.

If Starr is the fourth most talented, who are the three you rank ahead of him in talent? Favre,Rodgers, and ???

sheepshead
10-09-2011, 01:18 PM
The Definitive List (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2103_The_definitive_list:_Top_10_NFL_quarterbac ks.html)

No one's going to convince me that Montana isnt the best QB of all time. I love Starr (the only jersey I own BTW) but Kerry and I disagree.

Brandon494
10-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Ahh, so lets shut this thread down too as you have mentioned on other threads you dont like or agree with.

Peeps are talking just fine on this thread so if you dont like it fucking ignore it. You use to be cool but every since you let skinbasket get to you you have acted like a jaded little bitch. Let others enjoy the discussion because it is a legit one.

My bad essay just tired of all the Favre talk, chill the fuck out and go smoke some angel dust.

MadtownPacker
10-09-2011, 02:16 PM
My bad essay just tired of all the Favre talk, chill the fuck out and go smoke some angel dust.

As long as you take your own advice so will I.

Brandon494
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
As long as you take your own advice so will I.

I can't, that shit have me acting funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dWZCQyyALw&feature=player_embedded

Brandon494
10-09-2011, 03:02 PM
and the answer is clearly Rodgers IMO

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Did anybody notice that Rodgers younger brother QB'd for Vanderbilt yesterday? He is second string, starter out. Not sure how he did.

Brandon494
10-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Did anybody notice that Rodgers younger brother QB'd for Vanderbilt yesterday? He is second string, starter out. Not sure how he did.

They got shut out but it was against Alabama which is pretty much an NFL defense.

Tony Oday
10-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I think all the TDs completions and other records will be eclipsed if AR wins two more SBs

vince
10-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I think all the TDs completions and other records will be eclipsed if AR wins two more SBs
I think Rodgers' highest QB rating in history in both the regular season and playoffs cancels out those records over time if he can continue to hold them and play for another 5 years or more. Super Bowl wins are important, but as long as Rodgers continues to play consistently at the top of the sport he'll have done what he can to be accurately judged. Super Bowl wins are potentially such a team statistic that they can be very deceiving when judging quarterbacks. They're the most coveted honor for every player who dedicates themselves to winning, but they don't necessarily define an individual player's ability or production.

gbgary
10-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Will AR have a better career than Favre?

i sure hope so. i'd hate to think he and the former minnesota great's careers will be compared from now on.