PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis passes

wist43
10-08-2011, 09:49 AM
He was a thorn in the leagues side for decades... but he will be missed. Sports needs characters - and Al was certainly that.

RIP

KYPack
10-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Al was definitely one of a kind. No cause of death, must've just been orneryness. He told his wife he wouldn't leave the Raiders until he won two more SB's or he died. Guess we know the answer to that one now.

denverYooper
10-08-2011, 10:04 AM
From Al Davis Wikipedia article: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis)

Davis passed away at the age of 82 on October 8, 2011. The cause of death is unknown. What we do know is that Al Davis may have passed away in 1993. I keed I keed.

He was a legend.

bobblehead
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Can't wait for the screenplay "A Weekend at Al's"

denverYooper
10-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Can't wait for the screenplay "A Weekend at Al's"

Oh man, that reminds me of a recent story here in Denver. A couple of guys were busted bringing their dead friend around town and got themselves on video using his credit card to get into Shotgun Willie's. One fled and another (the Jonathan Silverman type) was brought in. He was interviewed at the pen and kept having to defend against the weekend at Bernie's scenario. "We weren't trying to do any Weekend at Bernie's thing or anything like that."

He claims he only thought his friend wasn't feeling well and that "Bernie" might have been doing some coke that night, and maybe that's why he died. Tox screen showed multiple drugs on the vic but I'm pretty sure that the deceased wasn't the only one partying hard that night.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Al was certainly entertaining. Everybody wants to know what people died of. When my dad passes a few years ago, everyone was trying to figure it out. Finally I said, "he was 86. He died of being old."

Al died of geezerness. RIP

red
10-08-2011, 11:21 AM
and all of raider nation celebrates.

maybe now their team won't be a complete joke anymore

mraynrand
10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
why are they reporting a story from 2004?

pbmax
10-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Belichick, via PFT, partially refuting a long held assumption about Al Davis and his approach to hiring football coaches:

“It really seemed like a waste of time, because I felt pretty certain that he wouldn’t hire a defensive coach, because he hasn’t since Eddie Erdelatz in [1960],” Belichick said. “It’s a parade of offensive coaches out there. He’s really a defensive coordinator.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/bill-belichick-reflects-on-his-interview-with-al-davis/

Belichick had interviewed for the job that eventually went to Jon Gruden. The common refrain about Davis in regard to coaches is that he wants to interfere on the offensive side of the ball and keep the vertical passing game concepts (from his days serving under Sid Gillman) of the original West Coast Offense. But Belichick said the real sticking point was on the defensive side of the ball.

Jimx29
10-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Jerry Jones moves up the ladder of despised owners

smuggler
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Jerry was already more despised than Al.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Jerry Jones moves up the ladder of despised owners
Moves up? Wasn't he always at the helm???

pbmax
10-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Best Cowboys joke ever told? Al Davis to a reporter: So who do you guess is everyone's least favorite NFL franchise?

Reporter guessing he is being sandbagged: Oakland Raiders

Davis: Nope, we aren't even close to the Cowboys. :lol:

KYPack
10-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Best Cowboys joke ever told? Al Davis to a reporter: So who do you guess is everyone's least favorite NFL franchise?

Reporter guessing he is being sandbagged: Oakland Raiders

Davis: Nope, we aren't even close to the Cowboys. :lol:

I went to watch NFLN this afternoon. They had a Davis-fest on. Jerruh Jones was interviewed for a good bit of time. He was crying like a little baby about how tight he was with Al D. Jones went on and on about how much Al meant to him and the NFL.

I thought are you kiddin' me?

Al Davis could give a shit about Jerry Jones and the Dallas franchise.

Not according to JJ, boy. He was acting like they were twin sons from different mothers.

gbgary
10-08-2011, 10:33 PM
why are they reporting a story from 2004?

i was thinking the same thing.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 10:40 PM
So is he still running the Raiders or what? Just 'cause he's actually dead now doesn't mean anything's different...

Kiwon
10-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Will Lane Kiffin be going to the funeral?

Pugger
10-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Al Davis has looked like a corpse for several years now...

mmmdk
10-09-2011, 08:24 AM
So is he still running the Raiders or what? Just 'cause he's actually dead now doesn't mean anything's different...

Somehow that would be cool yet disturbing...add weird to that notion. :shock:

pbmax
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Lane is slippery as an eel. He gave a very kind statement. I am not sure if it was genuine or 100% cow pie, but it was a beautiful thing to read.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/08/kiffin-very-saddened-by-passing-of-al-davis/

Fritz
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
He was good for the NFL. But bad for the Raiders for the last few years.

Now who's going to pick a receiver in the top ten who runs a 4.2 40 but has average hands and runs lousy routes?

I'm gonna miss that guy.

MadtownPacker
10-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I believe he is gonna car pool with Jon Gruden.

Seriously though, RIP Al Davis you made it fun to hate the raiders and their fans.

mmmdk
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
He was good for the NFL. But bad for the Raiders for the last few years.

Now who's going to pick a receiver in the top ten who runs a 4.2 40 but has average hands and runs lousy routes?

I'm gonna miss that guy.

I second this; I just watched some NFL Countdown on ESPN America and Al & NFL were once almost the same. RIP Al Davis.

gbgary
10-10-2011, 08:42 AM
http://col.stb.s-msn.com/i/EF/E7F4CD9F1BFCA3C32BC67FE0C55D46.jpg

RAIDAH coach crying...out of relief because now he won't be fired on a whim or over a personal vendeta.