PDA

View Full Version : What position would you throw your money at?

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
You're an NFL GM. You've got limited cap space, an amazing free agent market and a team in desperate need of help in almost every position because the previous GM and Coach were better at Connect Four and Stratego than football. What position do you go after first? Which position is most worth the money? If its too difficult to pick one, rank the importance of football positions based on limited cap.

tyler

Doe
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. DT
5. RT
6. CB
7. HB
8. MLB
9. WLB
10. WR
11. SS
12. Center
13. FS
14. Guard
15. SLB
16. TE
17. FB

QB is the most important position because it gives a team the longest window of opportunity to win a championship. LT is followed closely because he keeps your quarterback healthy. Then d-line is next. If a team doesn't have a great quarterback, the next best way to win is with a great defense. A great defensive line can effectively stop both dimensions of a dynamic offense.

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 10:44 PM
This is a quality first post, Doe! I agree for the most part, although I'd move HB down and WR up, since most HBs are pretty close to over the hill by the time they become FAs.

Welcome to the forum!

Doe
08-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks

gbpackfan
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
I like Doe's list. Start with a franchise QB and then build those lines! Everything starts at the line!!!

Cheesehead Craig
08-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I'd even skip the QB and go with the OL and DL to start. After that, CB and RB. Then WR and MLB and Safties. I would then go after a QB. Some may call me nuts, but JMO.

ahaha
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Quarterback or Defensive End. Those two positions are the most unpredictable when it comes to the draft. You can use your high draft pick on a LT.

ChicagoPackerFan
08-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Running Back, Defensive End and Offensive Line... in that order.

Pack0514
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. DT
5. RT
6. CB
7. HB
8. MLB
9. WLB
10. WR
11. SS
12. Center
13. FS
14. Guard
15. SLB
16. TE
17. FB

This list shows you why Barnett doesnt want to move to Sam. The Mike position is ranked #8 and the Sam position is ranked #15.

Anyways, where does K and P rank on the list? There have been some kickers who have gotten pretty good money.

TheRaven
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. DT
5. RT
6. CB
7. HB
8. MLB
9. WLB
10. WR
11. SS
12. Center
13. FS
14. Guard
15. SLB
16. TE
17. FB

This list shows you why Barnett doesnt want to move to Sam. The Mike position is ranked #8 and the Sam position is ranked #15.

Anyways, where does K and P rank on the list? There have been some kickers who have gotten pretty good money.

Or it shows why you SHOULD move him there since he is perhaps overrated in his abilities.

Pack0514
08-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Or it shows why you SHOULD move him there since he is perhaps overrated in his abilities.

Thats debateable...... but whatever, it still shows why he doesnt want to move.

Packnut
08-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Gotta put the money into the O and D lines. Football is won in the trenches. There is a reason where you find a real good QB and real good RB, you'll also find a good line. I wish TT understood this.

The Bears are proof that if you can bring pressure with 4 guys, the rest of the D becomes 10 times better.

jack's smirking revenge
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Gotta put the money into the O and D lines. Football is won in the trenches. There is a reason where you find a real good QB and real good RB, you'll also find a good line. I wish TT understood this.

The Bears are proof that if you can bring pressure with 4 guys, the rest of the D becomes 10 times better.

I agree with the lines perspective. That's where the game is won. As for QBs, I think you can get away with a serviceable QB. It helps to have a HoF'er, but the talent level of QBs in this league is not eye-opening. Plus, there are always diamonds in the rough. Brady was drafted 6th (??) and turned out to be a stud. A good QB coach can elevate the skill of his gunslinger. Look at Brooks, Brunell, Warner..... all of these guys were backups behind Favre in the GB system. They are all or were all reasonably-priced starters.

tyler

Packnut
08-15-2006, 09:45 AM

I agree with the lines perspective. That's where the game is won. As for QBs, I think you can get away with a serviceable QB. It helps to have a HoF'er, but the talent level of QBs in this league is not eye-opening. Plus, there are always diamonds in the rough. Brady was drafted 6th (??) and turned out to be a stud. A good QB coach can elevate the skill of his gunslinger. Look at Brooks, Brunell, Warner..... all of these guys were backups behind Favre in the GB system. They are all or were all reasonably-priced starters.

tyler

Even the most average looking QB plays much better with time to throw the ball.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I'd even skip the QB and go with the OL and DL to start. After that, CB and RB. Then WR and MLB and Safties. I would then go after a QB. Some may call me nuts, but JMO.

Yup!

No sense having a quality QB if you can't protect him. Same goes for your RB.

It starts with the OL and DL.

That's the battle in the trench's - at the line of scrimmage where games are won or lost.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Nice post Doe and that breakdown isn't far off. :mrgreen:

Welcome to OUR (your) Packer Forum.

Doe
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
1. QB
2. LT
3. DE
4. DT
5. RT
6. CB
7. HB
8. MLB
9. WLB
10. WR
11. SS
12. Center
13. FS
14. Guard
15. SLB
16. TE
17. FB

What? Kickers and punters are football players? :lol:

18. K
19. P

I would never draft a kicker or punter and there's no way in hell I would trade up for one.

Doe
08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
The only reason I would put QB higher is that it is up to one person to get the job done. Most of the all-time best offensive lines have had a group that sticked together for a medium to long period of time and gelled. Five good lineman will look great together, whereas one good QB would just look good.

ND72
08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm biased....I'd get as many quality OL guys as possible to start with. Cannot do jack squat on offense without it. so...

1. OL (i don't care who or what, just get them)
2. QB (gotta have a leader)
3.LB (perferably MLB to start with)
4. DL (same as OL)
5. DB
6. HB
7. WR

yeah i went more by general description...but that's my foundation.

ahaha
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
I agree that a great offensive or defensive line is the best was to mask the defecencies of other positions. But, the situation is limited cap space. Picking up two offensive linemen doesn't neccesarily make it a great offensive line. If you're limited, and can only bring in a few, say two big time free agents, the positions that have the most impact in a game are Quarterback and Defensive End.