PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins On Injury: Career In Doubt

pbmax
10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/blogs/lanceallan/131378473.html

Plus, confirmed it was a bulging disk (actually quoted as plural) which was removed, replaced and fused.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Pretty straightforward. Sounds like his head is in the right place.

bobblehead
10-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I would think a disc replacement would end a career....but I didn't even stay at a holliday inn last night, so it could be no big deal.

vince
10-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Nick Collins is a great Packer in my eyes regardless. Great teammate, such a positive guy and a complete safety with uncommon speed for the position who made a lot of big plays. A shoe-in for the Packer Hall of Fame.

Here's how I'll remember him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGIlTMnSVQ&feature=related

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
very sad when this happens. Collins at least had chance to show good he is.

vince
10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Just saw this. A message from Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=byVpHFvXp2E

Upnorth
10-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Good luck Nick we are all cheering you on.

rbaloha1
10-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Another great Packer career shortened by injury. Unfortunate.

Peprah needs to step it up.

KalamazooPackerFan
10-08-2011, 08:44 PM
As much as his occasional penchant for taking the bad angle would drive me bonkers, he was a playmaker and, by all reports, a great teammate. It's be great if he could come back but if not, he made his impact on packer lore and legend especially as a small college guy who's drafting inspired a chorus of "huh?" from the national commentators.

gbgary
10-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Pretty straightforward. Sounds like his head is in the right place.

pun intended?

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
pun intended?

No pun intended. Perhaps change the word to mind.

gbgary
10-08-2011, 10:31 PM
No pun intended. Perhaps change the word to mind.

too bad. i'm a punster and i giggled when i read that.

MJZiggy
10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
too bad. i'm a punster and i giggled when i read that.

I'll try to remember that for future reference.

channtheman
10-09-2011, 12:51 AM
He was a great Packer and I'm going to assume he never plays again.

Jimx29
10-09-2011, 03:05 AM
This is what ended Sharpes career too, right?
I had the same discectomy procedure done on my C4/C5 disc back in fall 2007, and there's realistically no way he plays any contact sport again.

Packers4Glory
10-09-2011, 09:13 AM
boo. we were lucky to have the run of safeties we've had. Hoping for the best!

Smidgeon
10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
This is what ended Sharpes career too, right?
I had the same discectomy procedure done on my C4/C5 disc back in fall 2007, and there's realistically no way he plays any contact sport again.

I thought Sharpe's issue was stenosis?

pbmax
10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Sharpe had what they termed laxity in his C1 and C2 cervical vertebrae. The news reports said he did not have a disc problem or stenosis. Though we found out from a report about Collins that stenosis can develop after such procedures if there is sufficient inflammation and scarring.

Sharpe had what was termed a very unusual condition. His stinger like symptoms were normally associated with pinching of nerves much lower in the column.

The fusion they were set to perform (the article was written in advance of the surgery) would leave him with normal extension and flexion. But pivoting and rotating would be limited by fusion, meaning turning his head from side to side would be limited.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=oB4eAAAAIBAJ&sjid=On8EAAAAIBAJ&dq=sterling%20sharpe%20neck%20injury&pg=3903%2C3763410

Lurker64
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I think "in question" is a better way to put it than "in doubt." The thing that causes doctors to recommend retirement in cases of neck injuries that are corrected by surgery is generally narrowing of the spinal column (spinal stenosis). This is what ended Jeremy Thompson and Terrence Murphy's careers, for example. Collins doesn't have any pre-existing history of stenosis, so it all comes down to whether or not he develops it during his recovery. If he does, the doctors will probably recommend he retires, if he doesn't then he will probably be able to continue playing.

But there's no way of knowing whether or not he will at this point, so there's no point in Nick being unrealistic. He's at a point in his life where there's a realistic chance that his football career is over, so he might as well admit that to himself. It's not certain (or even necessarily probable) that he's done at this point, there's just a significant chance that he is. We should have realized this as soon as he got neck surgery, honestly.

Kiwon
10-10-2011, 03:02 AM
Sometimes just when you are tempted to gripe about how much these guys get paid to play a game you have to remember what they are risking. They can lose their livelihood and their health in an instant.

SkinBasket
10-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Sometimes just when you are tempted to gripe about how much these guys get paid to play a game you have to remember what they are risking. They can lose their livelihood and their health in an instant.

So can a bus driver. Or a bum, for that matter.

woodbuck27
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Nick Collins is a great Packer in my eyes regardless. Great teammate, such a positive guy and a complete safety with uncommon speed for the position who made a lot of big plays. A shoe-in for the Packer Hall of Fame.

Here's how I'll remember him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGIlTMnSVQ&feature=related

Ohh my goodness this is sad news for me. I think of Nick Collins as our Donald Driver on 'D'. Terrible news. Right up there with Robert Brooks and Sterling Sharpe. . . and Chad Clifton. We can remain hopeful ?

woodbuck27
10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Ohh my goodness this is sad news for me. I think of Nick Collins as our Donald Driver on 'D'. Terrible news. Right up there with Robert Brooks and Sterling Sharpe. . . and Chad Clifton. We can remain hopeful ?

That pick on Brett Favre (Viking Edition) is utterly amazing in terms of Nick Collins athleticism.

As always you deliver and THANKS Vince for this Video clip of Nick Collins Highlights.

pbmax
10-10-2011, 08:51 AM
So can a bus driver. Or a bum, for that matter.

My actuary would like to make some bets with you.