PDA

View Full Version : any news on cliffy?

gbgary
10-09-2011, 10:46 PM
bob costas said hammy? really?

red
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
bob costas said hammy? really?

thats what it looked like to me, he grabbed it going to the ground and couldn't put any weight on it coming off the field. best case is a pull and he misses a couple weeks. but it could be a tear meaning he's done for a while, or the year

pbmax
10-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Nothing on Twitter besides the official announcement that it was a hammy and his return was doubtful.

Ballboy
10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
After winning last night, whatever the injury, we should be OK. We got the Rams this week, which based off the first part of the season shouldnt give us much of a pass rush.....plus it gives Sherrod & Newhouse more game time.

The week after we play Vikings, then the bye week. Can we get through these next two games without Cliffy & Bulaga so that they are well rested & recovered for the following games versus Tampa & Detroit?

denverYooper
10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Sounds like Bulaga could be back next week.

pittstang5
10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I read that Bulaga really wanted to go Sunday night, but the doctors held him out. I'm thinking Bulaga should be good to go next week against the Rams.

I didn't get to see last nights game, but heard about Clifton's injury and the shuffle on the line. I'm going to assume that Clifton will be out next week.

Here's a good question - If Bulaga is back and Clifton is indeed out, do you move Bulaga to LT and keep Newhouse at RT. Again, I didn't see how Sherrod and Newhouse did at RT and LT respectively. But wasn't Bulaga initially supposed to be the heir to LT before Tauscher went down and took over the RT spot.

hoosier
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
My intuition is that Bulaga is more or less entrenched at RT and that they see Newhouse as better poised to make the switch to LT--either because of skill sets or just because Bulaga has becomes more comfortable on the right side.

Joemailman
10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Ever since they drafted Newhouse, LT has seemed to be his best position. Therefore, I would see no reason to move Bulaga over there. By the way, kudos to TT for finding a guy in the 5th round who is good enough to play LT. That doesn't happen too often. Although Newhouse played LT at TCU, I recall that the general consensus was that he would be a G in the NFL.

rbaloha1
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Its nice to have depth -- offense can function at a high level no matter what o-linemen are playing.

Joemailman
10-10-2011, 03:19 PM
In his PC, MM just said it will take a couple of weeks to evaluate what he called a "significant hamstring injury". It is usually not good news when MM used the words "significant injury". Don't expect to see Clifton back soon, if at all.

Ballboy
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
In his PC, MM just said it will take a couple of weeks to evaluate what he called a "significant hamstring injury". It is usually not good news when MM used the words "significant injury". Don't expect to see Clifton back soon, if at all.

Heard the same thing as well, if that is the case, I say put Newhouse in at LT and leave Bulaga at RT; this could/will be our OL for the forseeable future.

hoosier
10-10-2011, 03:40 PM
"Lots of swelling and bleeding": sounds like a tear, probably minimum of 6 weeks to season ending.

Noodle
10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
You know, it's just been a matter of time before Cliffy got an injury that would put him on the shelf for a significant period of time. I hate to say it, but given his age and the pounding his body has taken, that clock has been ticking pretty loudly.

As others have noted, you have to hand it to TT and the scouts for making sure we had quality guys ready to step in. Time for them to put on their big boy britches and get after it.

Packers4Glory
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
if its that bad it is likely 6-8 weeks. I'd be a lil surprised if it was a season ender. But it COULD be a blessing in disguise to get him back late in the season and pretty well rested and fresh.

King Friday
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
At this point, it could be a blessing in disguise for GB for Clifton to be DONE for an extended period. While Clifton will go down as one of the greatest OL players in Packer's history, he is a shadow of himself at this point and Newhouse has been impressive to this point filling in for Bulaga. Newhouse made the switch from RT to LT almost effortlessly last night...not at all easy to accomplish. Newhouse is only going to get BETTER by the week at this point (think of Bulaga's progress last season) and by the end of the season just might be a better player than Clifton could be at this point in his career.

Joemailman
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
If Newhouse proves to be solid in pass pro, there would possibly be little reason to re-insert Clifton into the lineup. Newhouse can probably run block better than Clifton right now with one hand. Only if it were felt that Clifton was clearly better in pass pro would it really make sense to bring Clifton back.

Packers4Glory
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
umm WUT

gbgary
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM
cliffy may be a "shadow of his former self" but mm and tt both think he's better and more trustworthy than newhouse. now nothing against newhouse but whenever cliffy is ready he needs to go back in there.

Joemailman
10-10-2011, 06:32 PM
A lot would depend on how well Newhouse does. There won't be any sentimentality in the decision. The best player will play. If Clifton tore his hamstring, it probably won't matter anyway. Given his age and physical condition of his legs, it would likely take him longer than the average player to come back from an injury like that.

gbgary
10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
oh i agree that the best player plays. but if they're equal physically then i would go with the craftier, more experienced cliffton.

bobblehead
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM
If Newhouse proves to be solid in pass pro, there would possibly be little reason to re-insert Clifton into the lineup. Newhouse can probably run block better than Clifton right now with one hand. Only if it were felt that Clifton was clearly better in pass pro would it really make sense to bring Clifton back.

I think the kid I watched play in the high school football game friday night run blocks better than clifton. About 3 times this year I thought we resigned allen babre. It astounds me that he is so good in pass pro at the same time.

Guiness
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
A shadow of his former self, but he sure know how to get in the way!

I say keep Newhouse at LT - he accounted himself well there.

Upnorth
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
If Newhouse is very good at pass pro then I will agree to letting Clifton go as back up. However, if we see any reason that cliffy is better in pass protection than Newhouse leading up to the Detroit game, we will need cliffy in there. The Loins are to good on pass rush to risk Arod.

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
I say glue factory for Cliffy.

Actually, I expect he will get his starting job back late in the year. But it would be great to see Newhouse get his all-around game together and hold the job.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
You know, it's just been a matter of time before Cliffy got an injury that would put him on the shelf for a significant period of time. I hate to say it, but given his age and the pounding his body has taken, that clock has been ticking pretty loudly.

As others have noted, you have to hand it to TT and the scouts for making sure we had quality guys ready to step in. Time for them to put on their big boy britches and get after it.

This. I honestly think Cliffy's time is done. His body simply may not be able to answer to the bell anymore.

Fritz
10-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Answer the bell? Ithought he was supposed to be saved by it!

hoosier
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Answer the bell or saved by the bell? Neither one: he gets his bell rung.

The real question is, is there a bell in the glue factory?

Noodle
10-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Answer the bell or saved by the bell? Neither one: he gets his bell rung.

The real question is, is there a bell in the glue factory?

If there is, I'm afraid it tolls for Cliffy, a true Packer great.

Fritz
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
If there is, I'm afraid it tolls for Cliffy, a true Packer great.

Noodle, you know better than to ask for whom the bell tolls.

3irty1
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I expect to see Bulaga at LT and he may never move again if Cliffy is really done. The talent differential there is too great, you've got to put your best player there newhouses-most-natural-position be damned. If Sherrod had come on really strong I may have changed my mind but with the immediate need and a stud like Bulaga ready to stand in at the premiere position on the OL it seems like a no-brainer.

Those who are speculating that we might be better off without Clifton don't know what they're talking about. You'll never lose a game because of Chad Clifton.

hoosier
10-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Cliffy, a true Packer great, and the son of a Southern belle.

KYPack
10-11-2011, 07:29 PM
I expect to see Bulaga at LT and he may never move again if Cliffy is really done. The talent differential there is too great, you've got to put your best player there newhouses-most-natural-position be damned. If Sherrod had come on really strong I may have changed my mind but with the immediate need and a stud like Bulaga ready to stand in at the premiere position on the OL it seems like a no-brainer.

Those who are speculating that we might be better off without Clifton don't know what they're talking about. You'll never lose a game because of Chad Clifton.

Three one for leader.

RT is a placeholder, LT is pivotal. Pass pro at left tackle is like diamonds to an OC. Our OC is also our coach. I think Bulaga winds up there, I just don't know if they can do it this season. We must have an effective pass pro LT if we are to go deep in the play-offs (No Jim Mora jokes about the early mention, please).

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I expect to see Bulaga at LT and he may never move again if Cliffy is really done. The talent differential there is too great .

Newhouse may be a better LT than Bulaga. And next year, Sherrod might be better than both of them. It is not obvious. Bulaga was up and down as a rookie.

RashanGary
10-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Newhouse may be a better LT than Bulaga. And next year, Sherrod might be better than both of them. It is not obvious. Bulaga was up and down as a rookie.

This about covers it. More than likely Newhouse for now. Bulaga at RT. Next year I'd love to see Sherrod nail that spot down, but shit, Newhouse might be a player. . . . .

Is this possible?

Sherrod/Newhouse/Sitton/Lang/Bulaga ? ? ? Sitton is our emergency long snapper.

RashanGary
10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
With Clifton gone after this year, more than likely, the Packers are a pretty big fan of having 3 tackles who can play. Drafting a solid guard and resigning Wells would make this OL the best it's been in years. With Bulaga playing, it already is.

Gunakor
10-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Is this possible?

I like Wells.

Sherrod/Newhouse/Wells/Sitton/Bulaga. I like that better.

bobblehead
10-12-2011, 04:39 AM

Interesting situation. Based on body type and the way they all move I think sherrod is the best LT long term. Bulaga right now. However, bulaga might be RT long term, so do you start moving him around? Only MM knows.

Patler
10-12-2011, 06:03 AM
This about covers it. More than likely Newhouse for now. Bulaga at RT. Next year I'd love to see Sherrod nail that spot down, but shit, Newhouse might be a player. . . . .

Is this possible?

I like Wells.

Sherrod/Newhouse/Wells/Sitton/Bulaga. I like that better.

Neither Sherrod nor Newhouse has shown an ability to play guard; in fact, so far, they have shown that they can't play guard. On the other hand, Bulaga seemingly had LG nailed down last year in TC before a late camp injury gave it back to Colledge. By the time Bulaga came back, he was needed at RT. Lang did some work in camp as an emergency center this year, and when he was drafted some scouts had him pegged as an NFL center.

If Wells does not return or becomes old in performance such that the five best are Bulaga, Sitton, Lang, Newhouse and Sherrod; an off-season rework of the line could have:

LT - Newhouse/Sherrod
LG - Bulaga
C - Lang
RG - Sitton
RT - Sherrod/Newhouse

... but only if both Newhouse and Sherrod prove themselves to be deserving of being starting tackles on a playoff calibre team. Otherwise, Bulaga will stay at one of the two tackle positions.

vince
10-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Interesting thoughts. I never considered Lang at center, but it's hard for me to see that happening with him having no experience whatsoever other than a few one-on-one-drill reps in camp there. That was probably because they wanted the d-lineman to get the rep at NT. They need more depth with or without Wells, but it does appear they have five reliable young keepers counting Sherrod.

I too don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Newhouse goes to LT. Bulaga is clearly the best tackle of the three right now. They could go either way with that, but I think they go in assuming the worst case that Clifton is done for the year.

bobblehead
10-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Try telling Bulaga that, in a contract year, he has to move to guard. I don't think he will be very happy, nor will you chances of extending him be that great unless you pay him like a tackle.

Patler
10-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Try telling Bulaga that, in a contract year, he has to move to guard. I don't think he will be very happy, nor will you chances of extending him be that great unless you pay him like a tackle.

Contract year? Bulaga is signed through 2014.

Upnorth
10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
If Newhouse is the real deal (a big if but hopefully) then I would say our starting line would be set at guard and tackle. However it was point out that Well's is getting older. I have always felt he was an under appreciated part of our line and tended to play much bigger than he is. I don't see his replacement anywhere on our roster. Is this TT's first round choice this year, or do they get a pass rusher?
A good center man is very important for the oline's continuity.

Joemailman
10-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't see them moving Bulaga now. They gave him a shot at LG last year because they had Clifton and Tauscher at Tackle and figured he could be an upgrade over Colledge. Now though, he probably their best Tackle, and they're not going to move their best Tackle to Guard. If Newhouse wants to be a starter in the future, he'll either have to beat out Sherrod at Tackle, or learn to play Guard even though he failed there last year.

KYPack
10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Contract year? Bulaga is signed through 2014.

Yeah, he's in the fold. Bulaga to LG? I dunno about that one. Lang's got that job for now. Wells is a wildcard. This season, it seemed like he was finally getting his due. He's always been a great, hustling kid. I remember one year, he had a great game against the Vikes. Then I got on PR and had to read about how Wellsy got "ragdolled" in the game.

This year found Collinsworth gushing about Scott in the opener and he deserved all the praise. Then came last weeks game. Wells deteriorated to worse than his rookie level of play. I guess he freaked out bc Cliffy went out, but man, did he stink the place up on a few plays. I'd say they re-sign him, but maybe Old P has some TT ESP workin' and they do want to get all the young guys on the Oline.

I'd say no way to Bulaga at LG. He's getting tackle money, he'll stay at tackle.

Patler
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Bulaga at $3M/year isn't really getting tackle money (5 years, $14.75 million).
I proposed the lineup I did in response to those who suggested Newhouse at LG, a position he has shown no ability to play in the past. Neither has Sherrod, so you can't put him there.

I proposed Bulaga at guard only as a package deal if:
- Wells is no longer one of the 5 best O-lineman (probably because he is gone).
- Newhouse and Sherrod prove to be worthy tackles.
- There is an off season to work it out.
- Sitton, Bulaga, Lange, Newhouse and Sherrod are the 5 best linemen at the time.

It considers the following facts:
- Bulaga has proven himself capable at LG, may have started last year but for an injury
- Neither Newhouse nor Sherrod has shown an ability to play guard. Might be tackles only.
- Lange was seen by some scouts to be a center, and the Packers have at least thought of it.
- The Packers don't appear to have an up & coming center. (Genus maybe???)

I am absolutely NOT suggesting that it should happen, but as of right now it would seem that Bulaga at LG would be more likely than either Sherrod or Newhouse at LG if either or both Sherrod and Newhouse show themselves to be capable tackles.

I have long advocated re-signing Wells, to the point of suggesting signing him was a higher priority than re-signing Finley, not because he is better than Finley, but because the Packers need him more than they need Finley.

rbaloha1
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I like the idea of Lang moving to center (if Wells is unsigned) and BB playing lg. What a site to see BB and JS pulling and bulldozing defensive players on screens.

Fritz
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Screw it. Just re-sign Wells and be done with it.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
They have to resign Wells, he is key to the roll they are on. We haven't seen enough of Newhouse & Sherrod to handicap all the positions across the line. The fact that they didn't meltdown last week is hugely encouraging, though. I would hate to see Bulaga moved from a position where he is performing well.

apologies for the Captain Obvious post, will try to have something better next time.

rbaloha1
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
IMO BB is a better guard.

pbmax
10-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I saw Sitton and Lang struggle but didn't notice Wells except for one bad run play. I suppose a severe test will be 2 games versus Detroit.

I do remember Bulaga giving Colledge a run for his money last year in camp, but I thought their performance was pretty similar. However, I have no specific memory of the reporting before he got injured.

Patler
10-16-2011, 05:33 AM
I'm not the only one who thinks Bulaga could be moved inside.
From NFP:

*With left tackle Chad Clifton expected to miss significant time, it looks like the Packers will be reliant on 2010 fifth round pick Marshall Newhouse to protect Aaron Rodgers’ blindside. Some analysts thought the Packers reached for Newhouse in the fifth round last year. Many teams thought Newhouse was a guard only coming out of Texas Christian even though he played left tackle there. In fact, even Packers coaches thought he was a guard initially. But this year in camp, they put him at tackle and liked what they saw. Now they believe Newhouse’s best position is left tackle. Newhouse has enough quick feet and athleticism to play tackle. He could be Clifton’s eventual replacement. If it plays out that way, 2011 first round pick Derrick Sherrod will likely play right tackle, and 2010 first round pick Bryan Bulaga probably will move inside to guard.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Anybody else hear the comment during the Rams game by one of the broadcasters stating that Clifton would be out 2-3 weeks? I wonder if that was pure speculation, a mistake, or if they had some inside information. It seemed odd because I would suspect Clifton would be out for awhile. With how well Newhouse is playing I'm not sure if we wouldn't better off just going with Newhouse and letting him develop.

vince
10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I'd guess that was a misinterpretation of McCarthy's statement that he'll be evaluated in 2 weeks. I'd be shocked if he's back in that short time and surprised if he's back at all.

Newhouse will get his big test this week. It'll be interesting to see how much McCarthy trusts him on Allen on an island. I hope he gets a lot of help because I think Rodgers and the receivers can handle MN's weak and banged up DB's with just a few guys enroute. Keeping Rodgers untouched should be a high priority in this game because he'll slice up their secondary when he has time.

Upnorth
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
I agree with Vince for the upcoming game.

Long term the thought of Sherrod at RT Buluga at LG is hard to figure, as Buluga is a very good RT. If Newhouse is the real deal, and it looks good (Allen will tell us what we need to know) and Buluga is LG then our blind side protection will be amazing. HOwever runs to the left might be tricky, I haven't seen enough power out of Buluga to run blick as a guard consistently. I must admit I have really only focused on his pass protection at tackle so I might be out to lunch.
Finally I think it is very important to resign wells and get his eventual replacement on roster.

denverYooper
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
I'd guess that was a misinterpretation of McCarthy's statement that he'll be evaluated in 2 weeks. I'd be shocked if he's back in that short time and surprised if he's back at all.

Newhouse will get his big test this week. It'll be interesting to see how much McCarthy trusts him on Allen on an island. I hope he gets a lot of help because I think Rodgers and the receivers can handle MN's weak and banged up DB's with just a few guys enroute. Keeping Rodgers untouched should be a high priority in this game because he'll slice up their secondary when he has time.

I agree with this. If he does well over JA, I have to think the coaching staff probably likes him from this game forward.

denverYooper
10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree with Vince for the upcoming game.

Long term the thought of Sherrod at RT Buluga at LG is hard to figure, as Buluga is a very good RT. If Newhouse is the real deal, and it looks good (Allen will tell us what we need to know) and Buluga is LG then our blind side protection will be amazing. HOwever runs to the left might be tricky, I haven't seen enough power out of Buluga to run blick as a guard consistently. I must admit I have really only focused on his pass protection at tackle so I might be out to lunch.
Finally I think it is very important to resign wells and get his eventual replacement on roster.

Bulaga is an outstanding RT. A lot of things would have to happen for him to be moved to LG.

rbaloha1
10-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Newhouse had some help in the previous game. Against Allen its probably prudent to have consistent help.

Pugger
10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Newhouse had some help in the previous game. Against Allen its probably prudent to have consistent help.

This.

How is Cliffy coming along anyway?

Fritz
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I've been wondering about Cliffy's long-term prognosis. Back this season at all?

What about Collins? Is there a chance he can come back next year?

And I do wonder too if MM will be safe and keep some extra protection in (Williams? Crabtree?) on Newhouse's side. I agree - better to keep extra blockers in to keep Rodgers upright and clean, and let a couple receivers work at getting open against Minny's d-bags. I mean, d-backs.

mraynrand
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I've been wondering about Cliffy's long-term prognosis. Back this season at all?

What about Collins? Is there a chance he can come back next year?

And I do wonder too if MM will be safe and keep some extra protection in (Williams? Crabtree?) on Newhouse's side. I agree - better to keep extra blockers in to keep Rodgers upright and clean, and let a couple receivers work at getting open against Minny's d-bags. I mean, d-backs.

I thought they did a really nice job chipping DEs with the TEs - and getting a pass out to them after the chip - especially right after Clifton was injured. I'd like to see them get Allen with a few decleater chips at the start of the game. Get him looking for it. Getting the ball out fast helps as well, and Rodger's accuracy and decision making makes the quick pass almost unstoppable. And if they start jumping routes, he'll kill 'em with a double move. Stubby/Rodgers seem to be several moves ahead of the opposition.

Harlan Huckleby
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Allen is going to beat Newhouse on a couple plays, at least. Allen is on a hot streak and is beating more established OTs.

I don't know if Clifton is any good any more. Well, to put it another way, if Newhouse does a decent job, I'd prefer to stick with him.

Pugger
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Allen gives veteran tackles like Cliffy fits so I sure pray MM gives Newhouse some assistance over there. I'll be pissed if Newhouse gets spun around and our wonderful QB gets seriously hurt. If that happens we can kiss our season goodbye.