PDA

View Full Version : Strange Game

superfan
10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Lots of bizarre stuff going on in tonight's game. Noted here along with other rambling thoughts:

- Only one GB possession in first quarter
- Previously stout red zone defense ineffective early in the game
- Ryan Grant, who never fumbles, fumbled
- More drops than I could count, the biggest offender being Finley's, which should have been a TD
- Couple strange calls by the Triplette (my least favorite ref) crew, most notably the no call on Cobb fair catch interference
- Clifton goes out early in the game, which causes the GB oline to suddenly become the Bears oline
- Atlanta with their first sack since week 1, then another sack on the next play
- Crosby absolutely crushing a 56 yard FG. And on the opening kickoff he drilled the upright. Crosby is dialed in.
- 3rd quarter seemed to take about 3 times as long as the 1st quarter
- Hawk, who never gets flagged for dumb penalties, gets flagged for a dumb penalty
- First time trailing by more than a TD since 2009
- Tramon Williams isn't close to the level of play he showed last year
- 5 WRs, 4 RBs, and 3 TEs catch at least 1 pass
- YPC = GB 2.9, ATL 4.3
- 3 kickoffs by Atlanta, GB starting yard line after those kickoffs - 14, 16, 18. Not one of those returns made it back to the 20.

Yet GB still finds a way to win by 11 points, on the road, against a team desperately needing a win and hungry for payback after last year.

gbgary
10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
yeah...shit happens. guys playing hurt, a couple of bad breaks, big game in primetime. the key to me was the d and the stops they got after the last falcon td.

superfan
10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
First time trailing by more than a TD since 2009

Except for the Carolina game earlier this year. :doh:

Although I thought they showed a graphic about that during the game. Maybe it was the first time down by two TDs since 2009.

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 12:13 AM
I was plesantly suprised by LT Newhouse and RT sherrod. After the quick sacks, they cleaned up quite a bit

Guiness
10-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I remember thinking 'what else' as well.

Surprised at the YPC for GB. Seemed like the ground game was working. Atl's ground game was good though.

Another strange ref call was the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on GB near the end of the 3rd quarter, apparently for a personal change after a punt. Couldn't see what happened there.

You have to think Tramon is hurt more than we know.

Freak Out
10-10-2011, 12:40 AM
It took a few to adapt after Cliffy went down but they did just that..helped the tackles out when they needed it and Rodgers was Rodgers....keeping plays alive and throwing rockets.

Pugger
10-10-2011, 01:14 AM
I was plesantly suprised by LT Newhouse and RT sherrod. After the quick sacks, they cleaned up quite a bit

Yes, they both played pretty well and this is a good thing if Cliffy is out for any length of time. Will Bulaga be back next week?

Little Whiskey
10-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I didn't understand either of those call/no-call. No flag for fair catch interference, but then a flag for the team running out on the field. WTF? should special teams play offense?

Fritz
10-10-2011, 07:36 AM
To me, this was perhaps the most satisfying game to watch so far this year. They stunk it up early but remained composed, and after some initial hesitation, Newhouse and Sherrod played very well. The defense, though lacking a great pass rush, put more heat on Ryan later in the game and started to look a bit like the defense we saw at the end of last year.

I was disappointed in the running game, I will say. I know Grant fumbled, but he did get yards in big situations. Starks did not look so great last night.

All in all, though, a very solid performance, leaving me feeling better about this team.

SkinBasket
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
after some initial hesitation, Newhouse and Sherrod played very well.

Forget those two, Lang looked downright retarded his first dozen snaps at LT. When he finally took his head out of his ass, things looked a lot better out there.

woodbuck27
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Lots of bizarre stuff going on in tonight's game. Noted here along with other rambling thoughts:

- Only one GB possession in first quarter
- Previously stout red zone defense ineffective early in the game
- Ryan Grant, who never fumbles, fumbled
- More drops than I could count, the biggest offender being Finley's, which should have been a TD
- Couple strange calls by the Triplette (my least favorite ref) crew, most notably the no call on Cobb fair catch interference
- Clifton goes out early in the game, which causes the GB oline to suddenly become the Bears oline
- Atlanta with their first sack since week 1, then another sack on the next play
- Crosby absolutely crushing a 56 yard FG. And on the opening kickoff he drilled the upright. Crosby is dialed in.
- 3rd quarter seemed to take about 3 times as long as the 1st quarter
- Hawk, who never gets flagged for dumb penalties, gets flagged for a dumb penalty
- First time trailing by more than a TD since 2009
- Tramon Williams isn't close to the level of play he showed last year
- 5 WRs, 4 RBs, and 3 TEs catch at least 1 pass
- YPC = GB 2.9, ATL 4.3
- 3 kickoffs by Atlanta, GB starting yard line after those kickoffs - 14, 16, 18. Not one of those returns made it back to the 20.

Yet GB still finds a way to win by 11 points, on the road, against a team desperately needing a win and hungry for payback after last year.

Yes isn't that amazing strictly assessed in terms of your solid analysis. Aaron Rodgers using 12 receivers blows my mind. How intricate is OUR playbook on 'O' or are we talking alot of broken plays. I didn't see the game due to other priorities.

Us and (maybe?) after tonight the LIONS both at 5-0. That is also amazing to think about. US OK ... but 'the LIONS'. WOW! That is an exciting thought for me as I'm really into 'not just everything' Packers. I will always love the NFL and game itself. It,s a real onus that my beloved Packers are on top of the heap right now and for as long as that lasts and it will not last I'm very happy.

I'm into the moment RE: OUR Team. WOW!

GO PACKERS and tonight....GO ! Lions !!

Pugger
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
To me, this was perhaps the most satisfying game to watch so far this year. They stunk it up early but remained composed, and after some initial hesitation, Newhouse and Sherrod played very well. The defense, though lacking a great pass rush, put more heat on Ryan later in the game and started to look a bit like the defense we saw at the end of last year.

I was disappointed in the running game, I will say. I know Grant fumbled, but he did get yards in big situations. Starks did not look so great last night.

All in all, though, a very solid performance, leaving me feeling better about this team.

Starks also still needs to get better at blitz pick-ups, especially now if Cliffy is out for any length of time.

Pugger
10-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Forget those two, Lang looked downright retarded his first dozen snaps at LT. When he finally took his head out of his ass, things looked a lot better out there.

Lang did't play LT, Newhouse did.

ThunderDan
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
My favorite part of the Hawk play was that he pushed the OL guy back and not only did he "dive" to the ground after the push but somehow managed to do 3/4 of a twist in the air before hitting the ground. Hawk must be one strong mother##cker.

Cheesehead Craig
10-10-2011, 08:40 AM

I thought neither of them gave up sacks when they were in. Weren't the sacks from the inside?

pbmax
10-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Yes, both guards looked lost early. Sherrod had an excuse, those two didn't.

pbmax
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
I thought neither of them gave up sacks when they were in. Weren't the sacks from the inside?

I think Sherrod gave one up, though I seem to remember it came after Rodgers had to avoid another rusher.

gbgary
10-10-2011, 09:02 AM
I think Sherrod gave one up, though I seem to remember it came after Rodgers had to avoid another rusher.

me too...from up the middle. a lang whif i think.

denverYooper
10-10-2011, 11:05 AM
me too...from up the middle. a lang whif i think.

Not the greatest game from the guards but I think they were looking out to help the young tackles a bit after Cliffy went down.

sheepshead
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Maybe the only way to 'rate' a coaching staff is to hand them a Lombardi. But last night was one of the best adjustments I have seen on both sides of the ball in a long time. Personally, I dont like Atlanta, the city, the sports teams, Arthur Blank et al. Just dont like em. Then the trash talking I heard about today. It was almost as gratifying as beating the Bears. I'm glad these games cant be scripted. We would get bored.

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Yes isn't that amazing strictly assessed in terms of your solid analysis. Aaron Rodgers using 12 receivers blows my mind. How intricate is OUR playbook on 'O' or are we talking alot of broken plays. I didn't see the game due to other priorities.

Us and (maybe?) after tonight the LIONS both at 5-0. That is also amazing to think about. US OK ... but 'the LIONS'. WOW! That is an exciting thought for me as I'm really into 'not just everything' Packers. I will always love the NFL and game itself. It,s a real onus that my beloved Packers are on top of the heap right now and for as long as that lasts and it will not last I'm very happy.

I'm into the moment RE: OUR Team. WOW!

GO PACKERS and tonight....GO ! Lions !!

Whuile I agreee with the Go Packers part of your post I would like to show a different take on the lions. I hope they all choke on gonereha and have to start wearing loser skirts for being to sucky to live on the field, I hope Jane Cutler takes it to them and makes them look like the not talent hacks they are. Screw the Lions, screw the bears and scerw the vikings.
P.S. How do you spell gonereha, I am certain most of you have had it by now (i kid i kid)

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
My favorite part of the Hawk play was that he pushed the OL guy back and not only did he "dive" to the ground after the push but somehow managed to do 3/4 of a twist in the air before hitting the ground. Hawk must be one strong mother##cker.

That guy must have played soccer in high school. That or he was trying out for the dive team.

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe the only way to 'rate' a coaching staff is to hand them a Lombardi. But last night was one of the best adjustments I have seen on both sides of the ball in a long time. Personally, I dont like Atlanta, the city, the sports teams, Arthur Blank et al. Just dont like em. Then the trash talking I heard about today. It was almost as gratifying as beating the Bears. I'm glad these games cant be scripted. We would get bored.

I agree, Great coaching last night, Capers got into shutdown mode and MM dealt perfectly with not haveing your two starting tackles, move the pocket and have players chip till the backups get confidence. Also the deep route with quick slants under neath was fun to see again.

gbgary
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
good point on the adjustments. the second halfs of the games this season (? n.o. maybe not, don't remember) have seen better d play.

smuggler
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Princess Hawley living up to his nickname. The Falcons offense looked like utter shit once they burned through their scripted plays. Yikes! One more loss and they're done.

I wonder if he'll be fined, since diving is against the rules.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d82300d3e/Flopping-Falcons

KYPack
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
People have spoken about this, but a real amazing deal was the OLine after Cliffy's injury. The interior guys all screwed up. Lang had trouble, & Wells and Sitton both had whiffs that resulted in sacks. After the coaches got them all leveled out, the whole unit played pretty well. Newhouse absolutely floored me. He switched sides and adjusted beautifully to having to put his left hand down. The footwork is the mirror opposite & after a bit, the kid played great.

To get a sevicable LT from the 5th round is unbelievable.

MJZiggy
10-10-2011, 06:22 PM
People have spoken about this, but a real amazing deal was the OLine after Cliffy's injury. The interior guys all screwed up. Lang had trouble, & Wells and Sitton both had whiffs that resulted in sacks. After the coaches got them all leveled out, the whole unit played pretty well. Newhouse absolutely floored me. He switched sides and adjusted beautifully to having to put his left hand down. The footwork is the mirror opposite & after a bit, the kid played great.

To get a sevicable LT from the 5th round is unbelievable.

Especially after Collinsworth explained to us in such great detail about how the timing was gonna be all screwed up now and that the line was gonna suck the rest of the game.