PDA

View Full Version : Smidgeon's Former Goats, Now Redeemed

Smidgeon
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM
(Note: Not necessarily players I've been down on, but players that seem to have been down in the eyes of the general populace.)

Mason Crosby. 9 for 9. He had been taking a lot of heat for his accuracy in years past, including the most recent offseason, but he's hit a solid stride, including a franchise record tying 56 yarder with plenty of distance to spare. It sometimes takes kickers a couple years to hit their kicking strides. Hopefully Mason just hit his, because he's got a leg that is almost as good as Sea Bass's.

James Jones. Fifteen games without 100 yards, yet he showed up big time yesterday. He caught the long TD and made a crucial catch on third down late in the game. Like many people have been writing, it was his turn to step up, and he didn't disappoint.

Derek Sherrod. People were already starting to think "bust" because of preseason action. He was getting admitted help when he first showed up in the game, but was holding his own by the end of the game without help. I was worried there might be a chance that he wouldn't live up to his Round One status (simply because eventually TT will have to miss one--he's human), but like the Atlanta game, the slow start didn't mean he wasn't going to come out ahead. He looks like another solid pick for someone who didn't play RT in the preseason much at all.

Not former goats, but players who deserve special mention:

Marshall Newhouse. His mid-game switch to the left side impressed a lot of people on the national stage. Enough that more than just the die-hards are wondering if he'll be Clifton's replacement instead of Sherrod. A good problem to have.

Jermichael Finley. Sure, he had a down game, but I wanted to give him props for addressing directly the question put to him by Bob Costas about calling for the ball more. He may talk a lot, but I think at his core he's just a hard working kid who expects the absolute best out of himself and says so. This relative poor showing (for someone who usually catches everything) might be the best thing that happened to him this year. With his competitiveness, he'll buckle down and get even better.

Aaron Rodgers. He just makes ~400 YDs and 2 TDs seem kind of normal and "blah", doesn't he?

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 12:00 PM
(Note: Not necessarily players I've been down on, but players that seem to have been down in the eyes of the general populace.)

Mason Crosby. 9 for 9. He had been taking a lot of heat for his accuracy in years past, including the most recent offseason, but he's hit a solid stride, including a franchise record tying 56 yarder with plenty of distance to spare. It sometimes takes kickers a couple years to hit their kicking strides. Hopefully Mason just hit his, because he's got a leg that is almost as good as Sea Bass's.

James Jones. Fifteen games without 100 yards, yet he showed up big time yesterday. He caught the long TD and made a crucial catch on third down late in the game. Like many people have been writing, it was his turn to step up, and he didn't disappoint.

Derek Sherrod. People were already starting to think "bust" because of preseason action. He was getting admitted help when he first showed up in the game, but was holding his own by the end of the game without help. I was worried there might be a chance that he wouldn't live up to his Round One status (simply because eventually TT will have to miss one--he's human), but like the Atlanta game, the slow start didn't mean he wasn't going to come out ahead. He looks like another solid pick for someone who didn't play RT in the preseason much at all.

Not former goats, but players who deserve special mention:

Marshall Newhouse. His mid-game switch to the left side impressed a lot of people on the national stage. Enough that more than just the die-hards are wondering if he'll be Clifton's replacement instead of Sherrod. A good problem to have.

Jermichael Finley. Sure, he had a down game, but I wanted to give him props for addressing directly the question put to him by Bob Costas about calling for the ball more. He may talk a lot, but I think at his core he's just a hard working kid who expects the absolute best out of himself and says so. This relative poor showing (for someone who usually catches everything) might be the best thing that happened to him this year. With his competitiveness, he'll buckle down and get even better.

Aaron Rodgers. He just makes ~400 YDs and 2 TDs seem kind of normal and "blah", doesn't he?

Nice list. Also one comment, Arod throws for 400 yrds, 2 tds no picks and his QB rating went down. So for him I guess it was a blah game.

Noodle
10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
The Mason Crosby hate has always mystified me. I've agreed with Patler's view that the kid is pretty dang good. Crosby just showed showed yesterday that you cross Patler at your own peril.

As to Sherrod, I also agree that he looked much better than I would have expected. I hadn't written him off, as I expect a new lineman to take a year or two before he's quality. Looks like our young'un is going to have to accelerate that pace.

Oh, and TT has had his Round 1 bust: Justin Harrell. I think Hawk is a disappointment as a 5 pick, but not a bust.

vince
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll eat crow on Newhouse. He's been pretty reliable as a swing tackle when pressed into action. Between him, Bulaga and Sherrod who's obviously going to get stronger and better, it looks like the Packers are going to be pretty well positioned for the future at tackle. That's HUGE.

Smidgeon
10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
The Mason Crosby hate has always mystified me. I've agreed with Patler's view that the kid is pretty dang good. Crosby just showed showed yesterday that you cross Patler at your own peril.

As to Sherrod, I also agree that he looked much better than I would have expected. I hadn't written him off, as I expect a new lineman to take a year or two before he's quality. Looks like our young'un is going to have to accelerate that pace.

Oh, and TT has had his Round 1 bust: Justin Harrell. I think Hawk is a disappointment as a 5 pick, but not a bust.

I don't call Harrell a bust. It's been rehashed in other threads, but I can't call bust for an injury. He wasn't scouted poorly. He had first round talent.

Upnorth
10-10-2011, 12:34 PM
We do look good at tackle when the injured players get back, however how often had Buluga been injured now? I kinda remeber him missing 3 - 4 games last year, now 3 - 4 games this year. That is not a good start for a tackle's first two year on the injury front. I want him to have a decade long career since he plays great, I hope with Sherrod doing well he get the time he needs to come back at full strenght.

channtheman
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
I'll wait until the season is over to change my opinion on Crosby, but so far he looks good. Hopefully it continues. Does anyone know if Crosby is still aiming for the uprights or if he has changed to actually aiming right down the middle? All of his kicks are finally right down the middle instead of missing by a yard because he aimed at the upright.

Spaulding
10-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Agree on Crosby. I've been a fan of his since he kicked at CU and always thought he got the shaft from many fans. Thought he was the #1 off season priority (where prior we lost Longwell and struggled to find a replacement for him). Glad to see him starting out perfect on the season and getting some props.

Also, loved the stats they provided on him where he was accurate 93% of the time when in domes. Imagine he had bolted to a dome team. Could very well have ended up one of the most accurate kickers in the game. Certainly glad he didn't and that we always have a chance on a long field goal late in any game for the win.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
We do look good at tackle when the injured players get back, however how often had Buluga been injured now? I kinda remeber him missing 3 - 4 games last year, now 3 - 4 games this year. That is not a good start for a tackle's first two year on the injury front. I want him to have a decade long career since he plays great, I hope with Sherrod doing well he get the time he needs to come back at full strenght.

I don't remember Bulaga missing any time. Tauscher started at the beginning of the year, but Bulaga started every game after Tauscher went out.

Lurker64
10-10-2011, 02:51 PM
I don't remember Bulaga missing any time. Tauscher started at the beginning of the year, but Bulaga started every game after Tauscher went out.

Bulaga was injured in the preseason, which likely prevented him from beating out Colledge for the starting LG job. In the regular season last year, he did not start in the first four games (but was active for all of them) and then he started every game from week 5 through the superbowl.

smuggler
10-10-2011, 03:18 PM
If you watched the play itself, you realize there was no way for Bulaga to avoid this injury, and that we're lucky he wasn't hurt more seriously. To me, that's a plus for durability, not a minus.

MJZiggy
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM

I look at that as being pre-Patlerized...I agree too. Crosby's always had a monster leg so they've always asked him to do things you wouldn't dream of asking a Longwell to do. Longwell wouldn't have even been on the field. They'd have punted.

bobblehead
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM

My mason hate has always been about his clutch kicking. When he nailed the 56 yarder it was pretty clutch as we couldn't afford a miss. I'll eat crow. He has impressed.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I look at that as being pre-Patlerized...I agree too. Crosby's always had a monster leg so they've always asked him to do things you wouldn't dream of asking a Longwell to do. Longwell wouldn't have even been on the field. They'd have punted.

What? I get no credit for all of the Crosby stats I've thrown out there over the years?

MJZiggy
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
You were there as a voice of sense and reason...

RashanGary
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll eat crow on Newhouse. He's been pretty reliable as a swing tackle when pressed into action. Between him, Bulaga and Sherrod who's obviously going to get stronger and better, it looks like the Packers are going to be pretty well positioned for the future at tackle. That's HUGE.

It is huge. Boy, it would be nice to draft a heck of a C/G. We'll be ready to rock for a long time.

Partial
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
They look solid across the line. Wells is fine. The offense is general is pretty disgustingly stacked. Where do we draft an offensive player next year? QB naturally. Maybe Center.

Next year is the defensive fortification. They need to fortify: CB, S, ILB, OLB, DE.

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 06:23 AM
They look solid across the line. Wells is fine. The offense is general is pretty disgustingly stacked. Where do we draft an offensive player next year? QB naturally. Maybe Center.

Next year is the defensive fortification. They need to fortify: CB, S, ILB, OLB, DE.

Maybe Luck will fall to us like Rodgers did. :D

Bub
10-12-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm not sold on Sherrod yet. He played half the game against one of the worst DLs in the league. In my opinion he needs a few more weeks of solid play to be considered a solid 1st round OT.

vince
10-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not sold on Sherrod yet. He played half the game against one of the worst DLs in the league. In my opinion he needs a few more weeks of solid play to be considered a solid 1st round OT.
That's fair. The Falcons d-line minus Abraham is as weak as they come. That said, he held up well against Edwards, who's a legit (though average IMO) NFL DE.

pbmax
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
That's fair. The Falcons d-line minus Abraham is as weak as they come. That said, he held up well against Edwards, who's a legit (though average IMO) NFL DE.

Edwards was good enough in recent years to give fits to Tauscher, Lang and Bulaga. So he wasn't a bad test. But he is not otherworldly either, as you state.

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Bulaga's back this week. Interesting because it was picked up by the local news here.

http://wtop.com/?nid=351&sid=2589483

Noodle
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Regarding Sherrod, my point is that I don't expect any kid, unless he's Joe Thomas, to come in and play LT at a high level. There's just too much learning and getting strong to do.

So while I agree with Bub and Vince that one game doesn't prove he's the real deal, I'd also say that Sherrod is coming along fine and has shown that he may well be a 10-year LT. But let's give him a season or two.

Joemailman
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Bulaga's back this week. Interesting because it was picked up by the local news here.

http://wtop.com/?nid=351&sid=2589483

Thanks. That's a more in depth report on the Bulaga situation than JS or GBPG provided.

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Come to Washington for your in-depth Packer coverage!

pittstang5
10-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks. That's a more in depth report on the Bulaga situation than JS or GBPG provided.

Yeah, what's up with that. Living in Iggles territory, all I hear about is Fat Ass Reid this and Vick that. I rely on those websites (and this site obviously) for Packer Info. Sad that a far away news media source has better info. and is more insightful then the locals.

MJZiggy
10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Ya know, now that you mention it, there wasn't anything in the news about the redskins...lol

Noodle
10-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, Zigs, good post. WTOP is a pretty good broadcaster, to be sure.

Interesting also that MM indicates, without equivocation, that Bulaga is heading to RT.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Its an AP article and the writer (Jenkins) is based in Wisconsin. Follow him here and you'll see links for each article:

https://twitter.com/#!/ByChrisJenkins

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Regarding Sherrod, my point is that I don't expect any kid, unless he's Joe Thomas, to come in and play LT at a high level. There's just too much learning and getting strong to do.

So while I agree with Bub and Vince that one game doesn't prove he's the real deal, I'd also say that Sherrod is coming along fine and has shown that he may well be a 10-year LT. But let's give him a season or two.

Yep, the lockout killed any chance of him coming in and being good from the start. He's had to learn as he plays. After last week's game he showed enough to make everyone feel good about his future. I think he'll be a much, much improved player next season especially after he gets a full camp and OTA under his belt.

MJZiggy
10-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Its an AP article and the writer (Jenkins) is based in Wisconsin. Follow him here and you'll see links for each article:

https://twitter.com/#!/ByChrisJenkins
You're no fun. Actually, I was just posting it because I was amazed that our local news outlet published it with the headline in the link of "Bulaga Returns" like anyone here besides me is going to know who Bulaga is.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
You're no fun. Actually, I was just posting it because I was amazed that our local news outlet published it with the headline in the link of "Bulaga Returns" like anyone here besides me is going to know who Bulaga is.

I wonder how they decide which to publish? Is someone making an editorial decision? Or does the publishing system just see NFL and Packers and post it?

Fritz
10-14-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't call Harrell a bust. It's been rehashed in other threads, but I can't call bust for an injury. He wasn't scouted poorly. He had first round talent.

I agree. Honestly, some of you guys wouldn't know a bust if it hit you in the face:

http://copperkitten.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/a_11_boobs1258730528.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
I agree. Honestly, some of you guys wouldn't know a bust if it hit you in the face:

http://copperkitten.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/a_11_boobs1258730528.jpg

You're my favorite poster Fritz.

Fritz
10-14-2011, 11:43 AM
You're my favorite poster Fritz.

I think she's your favorite poster!