PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl level

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2011, 12:47 AM
It seems we have fewer guys playing at "Pro Bowl level," and are being carried by a few elite players. Last year, we had Rodgers, Jennings, Clifton, Sitton, Raji, Matthews, Williams, Woodson, and Collins all playing at Pro Bowl level.

This year, we have Rodgers, Jennings, Bishop, and probably Finley (the last game notwithstanding). Clifton and Collins have been hurt. Sitton and Raji aren't playing as well. Matthew and Williams have been nicked up. Woodson is playing a different role.

Really, Rodgers is playing out of his mind. Last year, it was fun to watch the team win. This year, it's fun to watch Rodgers carry us.

vince
10-13-2011, 06:09 AM
It's still about the team IMO.

Rodgers has obviously played at a historically high level. His passing effectiveness has benefitted from an improved run game and the availability of Finley to really open things up. His play-action passing has been lethal. For the most part, he's had the time he needs to deliver the ball, so the line has done the job for him. Nelson has stepped up his production to a pro bowl level. I don't have the exact stats, but during this 11-0 streak, he's on pace for like 1200 yards and 12 TDs. Bulaga was nearly flawless until going down. Wells has been very good. Lang's physical presence has strengthened the line overall.

Defensively, they're obviously giving up more yards, but still leading the league in turnovers last I saw. Pickett can't be run on and neither can Matthews so far. In terms of passing defense, the pressure and coverage haven't synced up until very recently. Against Atlanta, they only recorded one sack but got consistent pressure to force Ryan to move and/or deliver the ball before he wanted to and disrupt the Falcons' passing game. Matthews has been consistently double and triple-teamed and isn't getting the sack numbers but his pressures are where you'd want them to be overall. Neal's injury has impacted the team's ability to pressure the passer. Williams isn't playing his style of coverage because of his injury, which has made a big difference. Shields' game appears to be rounding back into shape.

Special teams has improved and the field position game is working to the Packers favor more this year than previously. The team's overall strategy to be very aggressive and get the lead early, then work the clock both offensively and defensively to keep opponents from catching up has worked flawlessly.

Joemailman
10-13-2011, 06:43 AM
The last 3 quarters of the Atlanta game were the first time this year that I thought the defense played at an elite level, so things may be changing. I would agree that on defense up until now only Bishop has played as well as last year. Vince is right that when they have gotten the lead early they have been tough, but they've also had to come back from double digit deficits in 2 games. I think the in-game adjustments by the coaching staff have been a factor this year.

Fritz
10-13-2011, 06:54 AM
I disagree with posters in other threads who claim the offense can and will carry this team all season.
Every big offense can be shut down in a big game - see NE vs. NYG in the Super Bowl. There will be times this season when the defense will have to carry the load. My one big wish for next year's draft is a focus on an OLB to shine opposite Matthews, and another pass-rushing defensive lineman.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I though Clifton got his Pro Bowl nod last year as a combination of team notoriety and career achievement award. Otherwise, I agree with the list.

And though it doesn't meet the standard of the thread title, one reason the run defense has been very good is that Walden has been a force on the edge. His pass rush is going nowhere, but he sets the edge well and seems to get sucked into cutbacks and change of direction less compared to last year's collection of OLBs.

hoosier
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
For what it's worth we could probably add Crosby to the playing-at-PB-level. That's Pro Bowl, not Pbmax level.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
For what it's worth we could probably add Crosby to the playing-at-PB-level. That's Pro Bowl, not Pbmax level.

That's actually the basis of the acronymn. :)

sharpe1027
10-13-2011, 10:08 AM

Nobody is up to that level! ;)

denverYooper
10-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I though Clifton got his Pro Bowl nod last year as a combination of team notoriety and career achievement award. Otherwise, I agree with the list.

And though it doesn't meet the standard of the thread title, one reason the run defense has been very good is that Walden has been a force on the edge. His pass rush is going nowhere, but he sets the edge well and seems to get sucked into cutbacks and change of direction less compared to last year's collection of OLBs.

McGinn mentioned in his rating article that "Kevin Greene just wants Matthews and Walden to crash into tackles and be disciplined." I thought that was an interesting little nugget and it makes me think that we'll see more in terms of pass rush from the OLBs later in the year.

denverYooper
10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I disagree with posters in other threads who claim the offense can and will carry this team all season.
Every big offense can be shut down in a big game - see NE vs. NYG in the Super Bowl. There will be times this season when the defense will have to carry the load. My one big wish for next year's draft is a focus on an OLB to shine opposite Matthews, and another pass-rushing defensive lineman.

I think we saw some of the D crackdown on Sunday when they needed it. IMO, their D will be one of the better ones come playoff time.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Clifton struggled early, but really turned it on in the second half and the playoffs. I've heard coaches say it was the best year he's had with them. That might be overstating it, but I think he was pretty good.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Clifton struggled early, but really turned it on in the second half and the playoffs. I've heard coaches say it was the best year he's had with them. That might be overstating it, but I think he was pretty good.

I am often wrong, but best year really seems to be stretching it. Though he did excel in pass pro in the playoffs. Few have blocked Harrison better.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 11:29 AM
McGinn mentioned in his rating article that "Kevin Greene just wants Matthews and Walden to crash into tackles and be disciplined." I thought that was an interesting little nugget and it makes me think that we'll see more in terms of pass rush from the OLBs later in the year.

Their default pass rush is a bull rush, but Matthews and others have used different moves at other times, probably dependent on formation and down and distance. In the Super Bowl, they called of the dogs to keep Rothliesberger in one place. Capers has said this season that they have used a large amount of 3 man rush. But even versus the Falcons, when Matthews used his dip move to the outside, he was just a fraction late.

Fritz
10-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I thought "pbmax" stood for "peanut butter max."

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Good point. Crosby's leg strength, accuracy and stroke is at its best level ever.

Pro Bowl level

Offense -- Rodgers, Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Wells

Defense -- Matthews, Pickett, Bishop

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 01:16 PM
With one sack on the season I don't really think you can put Matthews at a pro bowl level so far this season. Also Nelson is having a good season but far from being a Pro Bowler.

Partial
10-13-2011, 01:25 PM

This. LOL!

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
With one sack on the season I don't really think you can put Matthews at a pro bowl level so far this season.

Just like you can't be a pro bowl defensive back without INTs

pbmax
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM

That too. Its versatile, like a first round offensive tackle draft pick.

Or Frankenbacker.

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 03:06 PM
With one sack on the season I don't really think you can put Matthews at a pro bowl level so far this season. Also Nelson is having a good season but far from being a Pro Bowler.

Sacks aside -- Matthews is playing well. Sacks are misleading and come in bunches. My guess is Matthews has good number of hurries.

Expect by the end of the season Matthews to have decent sack numbers.

Nelson shall continue to benefit by Finley drawing double - triple teams and DD's reduced playing time. The Packers running game and play action stuff shall also contribute to Nelson's numbers.

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:05 PM

hahaha nice try but take a look a the past pro bowl selections. SACKS DO MATTER!

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Sacks aside -- Matthews is playing well. Sacks are misleading and come in bunches. My guess is Matthews has good number of hurries.

Nelson shall continue to benefit by Finley drawing double - triple teams and DD's reduced playing time. The Packers running game and play action stuff shall also contribute to Nelson's numbers.

When was the last time a player made the pro bowl on QB hurries? and I don't care how many double teams Finley draws Nelson is not making the Pro Bowl.

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM

hahaha nice try but take a look a the past pro bowl selections. SACKS DO MATTER!

What's your point? How often do DBs go to the pro bowl without INTs? as you might put it: INTs DO MATTER. Even when people agree with you, you act a fool.

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
First of all you were not agreeing with me you were trying to be a smart ass

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:17 PM
and second INTs do not matter as much as sacks when Revis made the pro bowl with ZERO INTs last season.

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:18 PM
First of all you were not agreeing with me you were trying to be a smart ass

:bs:

I'll repeat: even when someone agrees with you, you act the fool

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Unless he gets the sack numbers, he won't go to the pro bowl - except perhaps on reputation. The Packers do have a lot of national exposure, including what will likely be national games on all the holidays.

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
and second INTs do not matter as much as sacks when Revis made the pro bowl with ZERO INTs last season.

I could be wrong; however, see my rep post.

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Unless he gets the sack numbers, he won't go to the pro bowl - except perhaps on reputation. The Packers do have a lot of national exposure, including what will likely be national games on all the holidays.

There is a huge difference between pro bowl performance and making the pro bowl.

I believe the thread is about pro bowl performance -- not who makes the pro bowl. Provided names that imo are playing at a pro bowl level.

1/3 of the vote is the fans -- CM is popular and makes the pro bowl with a low number of sacks. Dude is performing at a pro bowl level.

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
When was the last time a player made the pro bowl on QB hurries? and I don't care how many double teams Finley draws Nelson is not making the Pro Bowl.

Is it because Nelson is white?

Joemailman
10-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Probably has more to do with the fact that you rarely if ever get 2 WR's from the same team in the Pro Bowl. Also, the fact that he's currently 16th in the NFC in receiving yards might be a factor.

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:33 PM
There is a huge difference between pro bowl performance and making the pro bowl.

I believe the thread is about pro bowl performance -- not who makes the pro bowl. Provided names that imo are playing at a pro bowl level.

1/3 of the vote is the fans -- CM is popular and makes the pro bowl with a low number of sacks. Dude is performing at a pro bowl level.

Good point. Many thought Matthews played an outstanding game versus Chicago, but didn't get a sack.

Look at the ATL game. The entire first two drives for ATL were schemed specifically to counter Matthews. You know those coaches spent a ton of time all offseason figuring out how to minimize his effectiveness. And it was effective - for two drives - until Capers adjusted.

Same thing with Revis - teams scheme how to avoid him - how to get their best receivers lined up against someone else.

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Well if you were agreeing with me then I apologize for laughing but from past experience you have always come across as a dick towards me so thats how to took the comment.

Brandon494
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Is that why you want him to make the Pro Bowl?

mraynrand
10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Well if you were agreeing with me then I apologize for laughing but from past experience you have always come across as a dick towards me so thats how to took the comment.

Well, I admit I was trying to pimp you a bit - but I burned myself a bit too, because 1) we were talking about performance not pro bowl selection and 2) if we're talking about selection, rep plays into that as much as numbers. So :oops::oops:

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Is that why you want him to make the Pro Bowl?

Thats right -- reverse racism baby!

Guiness
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Good point. Many thought Matthews played an outstanding game versus Chicago, but didn't get a sack.

Look at the ATL game. The entire first two drives for ATL were schemed specifically to counter Matthews. You know those coaches spent a ton of time all offseason figuring out how to minimize his effectiveness. And it was effective - for two drives - until Capers adjusted.

Same thing with Revis - teams scheme how to avoid him - how to get their best receivers lined up against someone else.

Seemed like Matthews was drawing penalties against Atl. One against the RT for hands to the face, I believe.

mission
10-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Well if Matthews isn't Pro Bowl "level" then at least we gain a Pro Bowl "level" player in Morgan Burnett. Ranks high in a lot of standard production categories if that's the basis...

rbaloha1
10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Well if Matthews isn't Pro Bowl "level" then at least we gain a Pro Bowl "level" player in Morgan Burnett. Ranks high in a lot of standard production categories if that's the basis...

MB is on the cusp -- just needs to be more consistent. The next Darren Sharper.

Upnorth
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
I expect there to be zero packers playing the probowl. As to being selected to the probowl, it is a joke with a lot of talent missed because they dont play on a big national team. I hope the hall quits looking at probowl as it is becoming less relavant every year.

sheepshead
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
My mom says they all deserve to go.