PDA

View Full Version : 5-0 and under the radar

Tony Oday
10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I guess it could be me but it feels like we are under the radar as a team this year. Basically it has been "AR is good he has tons of weapons. next topic" Then its all about the motor city kitties being 5-0, the collapse occuring in Phili, Romo throwing away games, Brady getting a haircut, Washington being good, Buffalo surprising you pick the story line it really just seems like the Packers are a given when it comes to the talking heads and so really they arent talking about us much.

****disclaimer****
I do not watch ESPN because really they make me want to bomb both coasts...

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I think you have some good points. The media knew the Packers were going to be good coming into the season so they are playing as expected. The other teams are surprising them so those teams get more coverage.

Unless of course you're NE where everyone there is amazing and should be enshrined in the HOF immediately. That opinion of course has nothing to do with the fact they are essentially Boston-based and thus, more important than anyone else.

Bossman641
10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree. Every time I flip through ESPN and NFL network they are always talking about Philly, Detroit, Buffalo/New England and the AFC East, and Tebow. No complaining from me though, let the other teams take the spotlight.

Fritz
10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't quite agree. I think that when a team is 5-0 and sailing along, and they were good the year before, there's no story for ESPN to latch on to. The Philly store is interesting the way a train wreck is interesting. Lots of rubber necking. The kitties are interesting because it's the rising-from-the-ashes meme, and the Cowboys are interesting the way drama queens are interesting.

I think Craig has a point too about NE and east coast bias. That's real.

Tony Oday
10-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Oh I agree I dont WANT to be on the Radar!

Just seems weird to me that we are not garnering more attention. I guess if you really think about it though its not that interesting. We dont sign UFA to huge contracts, build in a slow methodical way like a glacier coming at you :)

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
They don't talk about us that much, but we are definitely on the radar. They all say we are the best team in the NFL. We won the Super Bowl last year. Not much to talk about--except for an occasional injury, Finley tweet, or Rodgers interview.

rbaloha1
10-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Its a good thing. The Packers have proven -- no matter where positioned in the playoffs it can win.

The poise and confidence of the team is impressive.

MadScientist
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM
The Packers were expected to be better than last year, at least in many ways. Offensively they have been, but they've been worse defensively. So they are winning as expected, but not totally out-classing their opponents. Also other than the Saints, the Packers haven't played a good team that is off to a good start. The sum of all this is there isn't an exciting story to talk about, which is fine. Even a pasting of the Lambs and Queens won't get a rise out of the national media, especially if Detroit gets past SF.

It's fine, because if the Packers were all the media ever talked about, that would just give opponents more motivation. They have enough as it is.

gbgary
10-13-2011, 07:52 PM
the Packers have been "under the radar" since they won the sb. hell, the friggen cowboys get more mention than the Packers.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, we can fix this. I heard Marshall Newhouse is mad he isn't getting many snaps as a tackle eligible and its reducing his chances for receiving glory and a better 2nd contract.

gbgary
10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, we can fix this. I heard Marshall Newhouse is mad he isn't getting many snaps as a tackle eligible and its reducing his chances for receiving glory and a better 2nd contract.

cut him now!! can't stand mouthy players.

channtheman
10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure that we are under the radar necessarily. I do think that if New England or Indianapolis or maybe even Pittsburgh were undefeated that they would all be getting a lot more praise than we are.

pbmax
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
cut him now!! can't stand mouthy players.

But we could call him the "Tool Chest"!

http://www.mindspring.com/~cquade/pics/ToolChest1.jpg

Pugger
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
The Packers were expected to be better than last year, at least in many ways. Offensively they have been, but they've been worse defensively. So they are winning as expected, but not totally out-classing their opponents. Also other than the Saints, the Packers haven't played a good team that is off to a good start. The sum of all this is there isn't an exciting story to talk about, which is fine. Even a pasting of the Lambs and Queens won't get a rise out of the national media, especially if Detroit gets past SF.

It's fine, because if the Packers were all the media ever talked about, that would just give opponents more motivation. They have enough as it is.

This.

KalamazooPackerFan
10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
It is weird, the Packers are mentioned in a lot of stories about other teams as examples of what the other team needs to do. Probably especially true about A-Rod and, lately, the Ted Thompson-Mike McCarthy pertnership. The stories are about other teams or non-Packer players but it's Packer s who are held up as the standard to shhot for. It reminds me, dare I say it, of the status Green Bay had during the Lombardi years.

MJZiggy
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh I agree I dont WANT to be on the Radar!

Just seems weird to me that we are not garnering more attention. I guess if you really think about it though its not that interesting. We dont sign UFA to huge contracts, build in a slow methodical way like a glacier coming at you :)

What I find weird, and frankly a little annoying is that Rodgers has the best-selling jersey in the NFL and still you don't see Packer gear around here. I can't stomach that I see more Cowboy crap than Packer gear in stores.

mission
10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
I'll tell you guys... I listen to a lot of sports talk running appointments and it seems like I'm always hearing about the Packers and how good they are. Obviously being in Atlanta, the local talking heads here who are being a little tough on the Falcons are always referencing the Pack as the barometer. I don't ever remember this much unanimous opinion regarding the Packers being the best team in the league. Obviously 96/97 were great years but there was always an argument from another fanbase or pundit.

The story really isn't the Packers. We expected this, just figured a slower offensive start. Under the radar means we're not visible and sneaking past enemy defense... obviously we aren't surprising anyone.

The entire country really does know we're fucking awesome.

mission
10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
It is weird, the Packers are mentioned in a lot of stories about other teams as examples of what the other team needs to do. Probably especially true about A-Rod and, lately, the Ted Thompson-Mike McCarthy pertnership. The stories are about other teams or non-Packer players but it's Packer s who are held up as the standard to shhot for. It reminds me, dare I say it, of the status Green Bay had during the Lombardi years.

Exactly. Hearing/seeing that everywhere.

Smidgeon
10-13-2011, 09:26 PM

This made me think that the real reason is likely that there simply isn't a story in Green Bay. Like free agency in Green Bay, there just isn't anything to write home about.

Gunakor
10-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Pretty much every talking head out there has Green Bay at the top of the power rankings. I wouldn't say we're flying under the radar. Detroit might be the hot topic of conversation, but I doubt anyone outside of the state of Michigan honestly believes that the Lions are a better football team than the Packers. The Lions could finish 14-2 this year but they'd still end up playing on the road as a wild card in Janurary. That's the story behind the story being told.

VegasPackFan
10-14-2011, 02:40 AM
We lack drama. I'm good with that. Nobody doubts how great we are right now, there just aren't any juicy stories. And that is part of the GB mystique.

sheepshead
10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
The packers are the best team in football right now, that's all I know. I think you guys watch too much TV.

CaliforniaCheez
10-16-2011, 06:05 AM
If John Wayne shoots all the bad guys and Indians in the first 15 minutes; it is not a very good movie. It lacks the drama and conflict.

Right now the drama and close games are elsewhere. Right now every team gets discussed.

Over the next month one third will no longer be discussed. By December only half the league matters. Then only those remaining in the playoffs.

Eventually, there will be some underdog team portrayed as daring for making it a close game with the Packers. The media knows they have the Packers story for later and don't want to burn it out.

Like the John Wayne movie, the bit characters are now setting up the drama, the big show down shootout comes at the end.

Bretsky
10-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Packers seem to be the measuring stick for success with the media.
Now Money Crosby........he's flying under the radar :)

Upnorth
10-16-2011, 09:35 AM
If John Wayne shoots all the bad guys and Indians in the first 15 minutes; it is not a very good movie. It lacks the drama and conflict.

Right now the drama and close games are elsewhere. Right now every team gets discussed.

Over the next month one third will no longer be discussed. By December only half the league matters. Then only those remaining in the playoffs.

Eventually, there will be some underdog team portrayed as daring for making it a close game with the Packers. The media knows they have the Packers story for later and don't want to burn it out.

Like the John Wayne movie, the bit characters are now setting up the drama, the big show down shootout comes at the end.

My take away from this is we should shoot the other team in the first quarter to ensure victory. Not entirley legal, but I like you style calicheeze.

Upnorth
10-16-2011, 09:36 AM
If det looses to an up and coming 49'ers today (which I kind of doubt will happen) we will have all the attention we would want and then way more as well.

Tony Oday
10-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Not 1 story on ESPN about our 6-0 Packers...damn I love flying under the radar or so damn high above it that nobody can see us!