PDA

View Full Version : Vikings top pick Greenway injures left knee

mmmdk
08-15-2006, 04:17 AM
This could be bad for Greenway and the Vikings. This out of NFL.com: Greenway will have an MRI this morning, and indications Monday night were that it could be a season-ending tear to his anterior cruciate ligament. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin did not want to speculate on the injury. "We'll hold our breath until the morning and let the tests [occur]," he said.

Also, speedster KR/RB Sproles just had surgery for a broken leg.

We all know about Underwood and his double ACL. Culver must step up and Manuel must step on the field!

Injuries are part of the game but it's still ugly.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 06:45 AM
This could be bad for Greenway and the Vikings. This out of NFL.com: Greenway will have an MRI this morning, and indications Monday night were that it could be a season-ending tear to his anterior cruciate ligament. Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin did not want to speculate on the injury. "We'll hold our breath until the morning and let the tests [occur]," he said.

Also, speedster KR/RB Sproles just had surgery for a broken leg.

We all know about Underwood and his double ACL. Culver must step up and Manuel must step on the field!

Injuries are part of the game but it's still ugly.

Yea, I didn't even see it happen...it was on special teams and he walked off under his own power. To this point he was a backup but you do hate to lose your #1 pick like that, plus on a more personal note, it's gotta suck going from the top of the world, being drafted in the NFL one week to a whole freaking year of painful rehab.

CaliforniaCheez
08-15-2006, 07:59 AM
It is such bad luck when players get contaminated by that purple slime.

The kid deserved better.

FavreChild
08-15-2006, 08:04 AM
They just showed the injury on SportsCenter.

Hopefully NOT an ACL tear. No more injuries!! We want to beat you at your best, rastak. Or by Longwell missing a 39-yarder. :wink:

TheRaven
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
This blows. I hate the Vikings, but I am a big Hawkeye fan was hoping Greenway would do well in the pros.

red
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
it might not be as bad as they're saying

his knee didn't buckle, so theres at least hope that he didn't blow it out. but then again walkers didn't buckle last year either

but we all know he was just faking

though break rastak

Cheesehead Craig
08-15-2006, 11:20 AM
I hope he's ok and it's not as bad as feared. Never would wish an injury on an opponent.

TheRaven
08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Never would wish an injury on an opponent.

I wish I could say the same. I have many times. :sad:

mngolf19
08-15-2006, 02:56 PM
They just showed the injury on SportsCenter.

Hopefully NOT an ACL tear. No more injuries!! We want to beat you at your best, rastak. Or by Longwell missing a 39-yarder. :wink:

I'm with you. I want the Vikes to beat the Packers at full strength, not decimated by injuries.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
On the "plus" side for the Vikings. Washington has been suffering even more significant injuries, and likely will be without two of their best players in the opener.

"WASHINGTON (AFP) - One day after star running back Clinton Portis was ruled out for at least a month with a partially dislocated left shoulder, the Washington Redskins' defensive unit received bad injury news.

Redskins starting cornerback Shawn Springs underwent surgery to repair a minor abdominal muscle tear Tuesday and will be sidelined three to four weeks."

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I hate to see players that any team relys on heavily fall to such injury in TC.

It's especially tough whenever a team loses a highly touted Rookie as Chad Greenway is. To see a young players development hampered that way is sad.

I hope for you that won't be the case Rastak.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Just announced that Greenway is out for the year. I like Greenway. He's a nice farm kid from South Dakota. At the very least it really hurts their depth at LB. Both Minnesota and Green Bay have lost some of their depth after one preseason game.

BallHawk
08-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Damn. What a shame. I was looking forward to a little competition between Hodge and Green way, to see who was going to be the best Iowa Linebacker this season. He also seemed like a good kid.

BlueBrewer
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
That is his second blown knee I think, I wonder if it is the same one twice?

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
It's the other knee, I believe.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Tough break for the Vikings! WOW. That's bad.

This is a fact of fate in the NFL and football in general but man. . . .

jack's smirking revenge
08-15-2006, 04:44 PM
That is a bummer, but that's what preseason is good for---INJURY HEADLINES. First pick down the toilet before he even got a chance to play, before the Vikes could see his ability. Now THAT sucks.

It's almost like Russian Roulette, only minus the Russian and minus....ok, so it really isn't very much like Russian Roulette. How about Powerball in Hell? Who's the next lucky winner on the preseason injury list?!

tyler

Rastak
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
That is a bummer, but that's what preseason is good for---INJURY HEADLINES. First pick down the toilet before he even got a chance to play, before the Vikes could see his ability. Now THAT sucks.

It's almost like Russian Roulette, only minus the Russian and minus....ok, so it really isn't very much like Russian Roulette. How about Powerball in Hell? Who's the next lucky winner on the preseason injury list?!

tyler

I'd be crying my eyes out into my Summitt if he had been #1 on the depth chart, but now I'm just sobbing quietly.... :shock:

Yea, it does hurt to lose your #1 pick right away.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 04:58 PM
Damn. What a shame. I was looking forward to a little competition between Hodge and Green way, to see who was going to be the best Iowa Linebacker this season. He also seemed like a good kid.

yea, I was looking forward to that competition from afar.....oh well.

FavreChild
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Sorry for the bad news, Rastak & mngolf. Never like to see that happen to a rook, especially.

At least Kornheiser still likes the Vikes' chances. So...ya know...you got that going for ya.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Sorry for the bad news, Rastak & mngolf. Never like to see that happen to a rook, especially.

At least Kornheiser still likes the Vikes' chances. So...ya know...you got that going for ya.

Actually it was Harvey's favoite telecaster Theisman who said they were the most improved team.....but thanks for the sentiment. I actually did feel bad when Underwood went down. Hate to see a young player have to go through that. I guess it's part of the job they signed up for.

FavreChild
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
I hate Theisman, too, so I don't listen to anything he says.

But I sorta hope all the teams in the division improve a bit (except for the Bears who will be revealed as frauds) so that all the "experts" can stop raggin' on the NFC North.

Tony Oday
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Im sure its been posted but just reported he is out for the season...

BooHoo
08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Im sure its been posted but just reported he is out for the season...

This is a big loss for the Vikes.

Lurker64
08-15-2006, 05:46 PM
This blows. I hate the Vikings, but I am a big Hawkeye fan was hoping Greenway would do well in the pros.

I agree. It sucks for the Vikings, which admittedly doesn't really break my heart, but it sucks even more for Chad, who's a really good guy.

I was looking forward to Greenway becoming a free agent, so I could cheer for him without guilt or shame.

hurleyfan
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Too bad for Greenway...

Hate to see these young talents lose a whole year, 'specially their first year in a game that doesn't mean a thing, other than evaluating talent..

Wait a minute, that's what pre season(and training camp) is for! Let's evaluate these guys and see if they can play.

Football is a violent game and injuries happen, as unfortunate as they are.

Who else is playing LB for the Vikes (Rastak?)

Rastak
08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Too bad for Greenway...

Hate to see these young talents lose a whole year, 'specially their first year in a game that doesn't mean a thing, other than evaluating talent..

Wait a minute, that's what pre season(and training camp) is for! Let's evaluate these guys and see if they can play.

Right now EJ Henderson is WLB (having a great camp), Nappy Harris is MLB (he's actually doing okay so far) and Ben Leber is SAM I think.

hurleyfan
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Too bad for Greenway...

Right now EJ Henderson is WLB (having a great camp), Nappy Harris is MLB (he's actually doing okay so far) and Ben Leber is SAM I think.

Some familiar names, but if their front four does what they're supposed to do, it makes LB'ing much easier. Seems the Vikes LB's are always active and making plays..

Again, sorry to hear about Green'ies end of season..

mngolf19
08-16-2006, 12:24 PM

I've had better accolades than Kornheiser. Not sure I'll take that one to the bank.