PDA

View Full Version : Tis The Season

GrnBay007
10-18-2011, 11:59 PM
...for Chili !

Post your favorite/best chili recipe for other Rats to try. :)

GrnBay007
10-19-2011, 12:17 AM
I like to try different recipes for chili. Last year I made this one, it's called Boilermaker Tailgate Chili, and we really liked it. The only thing I left out of the ingredients was the bacon bits and I think I used about 1/2 bottle of beer instead of 1/2 cup....and I used a dark beer.

2 pounds ground chuck
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar

Directions

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

SkinBasket
10-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, carrots, hamburger, garlic, bell pepper, green onion, baked beans, and bacon.

ground cayenne pepper, old bay, bay leaves, and basil for seasoning

secret ingredient: 3-5 bags of matcha ground green tea leaves for a real earthy depth of flavor.

I'm a big believer in adding any and all ingredients to taste. boil carrots to soften, slice. Cook bacon - remove, brown garlic and onion in grease - remove, brown hamburger, drain grease, combine everything and cook for a few hours. cover with cheddar cheese and use saltines as a spoon.

Iron Mike
10-19-2011, 07:01 AM
1. Head over to Tucker's

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1305/4698351978_6282060e53_z.jpg

2. Buy a quart of chili

3. Drive home and eat the chili

Iron Mike
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Alternatively, if you're in Green Bay.....

1. Head over to Chili John's

http://diningfolio.com/photos/246_0.jpg

2. Eat some chili

Little Whiskey
10-19-2011, 07:19 AM
A couple "secret" ingredients that I use. Venison Burger and White Corn.

I do like the bacon idea......and the baked beans. I'll also give the tea leaves next time.

SkinBasket
10-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Another trick I just used. My wife doesn't like onions, peppers, or fresh tomatoes in her chili. So I use salsa to add the flavor of all those things. It also helps in a pinch if you can't find those things fresh in the kitchen. And then she likes noddles in the chili. Of course, by then it's not really chili, but the things one must do for love.

Oh, sometimes i throw a V8 or two in for the salt content and healthyness.

Little Whiskey
10-19-2011, 07:43 AM
. And then she likes noddles in the chili. Of course, by then it's not really chili, but the things one must do for love.

thats what you get for living in Cincy!

SkinBasket
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
thats what you get for living in Cincy!

No, that's just the way she was raised in Wisconsin. It might be part of her Mexican heritage. Noodles.

GrnBay007
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM
baked beans, and bacon.

old bay, bay leaves,

I know you are going to say idk, I just wing it, or to taste.........but approximately how much of the above stuff do you use?

Upnorth
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
If you want to experiment mustard seed (whole not ground) adds an new flavor and fun texture to chili.

Also I preffer Brown Demmar sugar to white, but that is just me.

SkinBasket
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I know you are going to say idk, I just wing it, or to taste.........but approximately how much of the above stuff do you use?

I think to make about 4 quarts of chilli, I used two cans of baked beans and 6 slices of thick cut bacon.

I add the old bay last of seasoning since it's the most powerful. I would guess not much. I would start with just half a teaspoon for 4 quarts and work your way up. Less if you've used some other salt already.

3-4 leaves, which I leave in when I refrigerate. fuck if I know if they even really do that much, but that's how my parents used to make chilli.

Deputy Nutz
10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I throw a couple of cans of tuna in my chilli to give it that deep down aroma and taste.

GrnBay007
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
^^ piggy! :)

Freak Out
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Um.....did I hear something about noodles in the chili? It it's got noodles it's not chili.

channtheman
10-20-2011, 01:15 AM
My dad just throws almost any leftover in the fridge in his chilli. Makes for some interesting (and some shitty) chilli's but they are mostly good. I guess, basically if you think it might be good in a chilli, throw it in. The worst thing that can happen is you have some food for the dog or something.

Iron Mike
10-20-2011, 07:09 AM
My dad just throws almost any leftover in the fridge in his chilli. Makes for some interesting (and some shitty) chilli's but they are mostly good. I guess, basically if you think it might be good in a chilli, throw it in. The worst thing that can happen is you have some food for the dog or something.

My Son actually does something along the same lines.....he's put bamboo shoots in chili one time, and white hominy in chili another time. Both turned out pretty good.

Deputy Nutz
10-20-2011, 07:31 AM
I just put buckets of shit in my chilli. Doesn't really matter what kind, dog shit, goose shit, mice shit, if a floater wasn't flushed I'll net that sonofabitch out of the toliet and drop that into the pot.

MadtownPacker
10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
It might be part of her Mexican heritage. Noodles.

This is true. Extra cheddar cheese also.

MJZiggy
10-20-2011, 05:41 PM

If we fed the dog failed chili, we'd have to move out for a week until the place aired out from all the dog farts.

woodbuck27
10-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I like to try different recipes for chili. Last year I made this one, it's called Boilermaker Tailgate Chili, and we really liked it. The only thing I left out of the ingredients was the bacon bits and I think I used about 1/2 bottle of beer instead of 1/2 cup....and I used a dark beer.

2 pounds ground chuck
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon bacon bits
4 cubes beef bouillon
1/2 cup beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar

Directions

Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.

Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

shhheeessshh ! 007 ! That recipe looks like one of my posts. You feeding a Scout Pack?

GrnBay007
10-21-2011, 12:05 AM
shhheeessshh ! 007 ! That recipe looks like one of my posts.

LOL! :)

SkinBasket
01-06-2013, 05:16 PM
i might use a potato this year.