PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers = Mr. Consistency

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I'd like to see Rodgers get this "record." These are from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has begun this season with nearly historic passing statistics, but such numbers are fairly typical for him:

• He's the first QB to start a season with six consecutive passer ratings of 110 or higher since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

• Six consecutive ratings of 110 or higher is tied for the second-longest streak in NFL history, one behind Steve Young's mark set in 1994.

• Rodgers has reached 110 or higher in 14 of his past 17 starts.

RODGERS VS. FAVRE

Rodgers Category Favre

65.1 Career completion percentage 62.0

5.7 Touchdown percentage 5.0

1.9 Interception percentage 3.3

8.1 Yards per attempt 7.1

101.2 Passer rating 86.0

62.3 Winning percentage 62.2

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
And somebody has the nerve to say what I've been saying. :) I think Rodgers is playing better than Favre did at his best.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/132288158.html

Rodgers surpassing Favre's legend
JIM SOUHAN, Star Tribune

Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre have one thing in common, other than quarterbacking Super Bowl champions in Green Bay and shunning razors:

They both hate ties. Favre refused to wear one, even when showing up in Minnesota to sign a $25 million contract, favoring T-shirts, jeans and soiled golf caps. Two weeks ago, after beating the Falcons in Atlanta, Rodgers threw on a tie for his postgame news conference, then walked briskly toward a couple of Packers equipment men, ripping off the tie and popping open his collar as if he were choking.

They're also different in this important way:

Rodgers is better than Favre.

Not just better than the guy who hangs around high school and college football teams in Mississippi, sometimes even embarrassing himself by taking shots at Rodgers in passive-aggressive radio interviews. Rodgers is better than Favre was at his best. And Favre was one of the best who ever played.

If Favre was a Ferrari, Rodgers is a Ferrari that gets 40 miles per gallon while emitting the scent of lilacs instead of exhaust. Rodgers mimics all of Favre's best attributes and none of his faults.

Rodgers is more accurate. His career completion percentage is .651; his career best is this year's mark of .702. Favre's career percentage is .620, and he peaked at .684 with the 2009 Vikings.

Rodgers is more reliable. Two weeks ago, he became the first NFL quarterback to reach 100 touchdown passes while throwing as few as 34 interceptions, according to ESPN.com and Elias Sports Bureau. After three seasons and 37 touchdown passes, Favre had already thrown 39 interceptions. Rodgers' career interception percentage is 1.9; Favre's was 3.3.

Rodgers is more mobile and a more effective runner. Favre rushed 602 times for 1,844 yards, a 3.1 average, with 14 touchdowns and 166 fumbles. Rodgers has rushed 216 times for 993 yards, a 4.6 average, with 15 touchdowns and 28 fumbles.

Rodgers has won 62.3 percent of his starts to Favre's 62.2. It's a virtual draw, but Rodgers just passed Favre in that category and should blow past him this season. Both have won one Super Bowl; assuming good health, Rodgers should separate himself in that category as well.

Rodgers is a better teammate today than Favre was at the end of his career, when Favre was willing to hold entire organizations hostage while he mulled retirement.

Favre holds one obvious advantage: He proved himself to be one of the toughest players in NFL history, starting 321 consecutive games (including playoffs). Rodgers has started 12 in a row. Perhaps no one will ever match Favre in this category.

Rodgers is moving past Favre in high gear by almost any other measure. This season, Rodgers has a completion percentage of 70.2, with 17 touchdowns and three interceptions. He has passed for more yards through six games, 2,031, than any quarterback in franchise history.

He ranks first in the NFL in passer rating, at 122.5. Tom Brady is second at 104.8. Rodgers leads the league in touchdowns, yards per attempt and completion percentage. He's thrown for 300 yards in five of six games this year. Favre holds the franchise record of seven in one season.

Against Denver this season, Rodgers became the first quarterback in NFL history to amass 400 passing yards, four touchdown passes and two touchdown runs in one game. And he's still improving. Over his past 17 starts, including playoffs, Rodgers has completed 70.1 percent of his passes for 5,036 yards, 42 touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 119.3 passer rating.

Rodgers and Mike McCarthy have developed a rapport that parallels that of Joe Montana and Bill Walsh.

"I think it's a combination of getting more experience and getting more comfortable and getting the opportunity to make this offense my own, to figure out how to make this offense work for me," Rodgers said. "Mike and I have really gotten on the same page, I would say, in those last 16, 17 games, whatever it might be.

"We have a great play caller-to-quarterback relationship, and when that line of communication is great, and you have some playmakers on the outside, you should have success."

McCarthy inherited Favre as his starter and Rodgers as his backup. "I would say everybody felt strongly that Aaron was going to be a good player, just from the first day our staff had the opportunity to work with him, just because of his talent level," McCarthy said. "He was a great fit for the offense, as far as in the pocket, out of the pocket. Very bright, very cerebral, good work ethic. But you never really know until you play the games if your quarterback has a chance to be a great one.

"I always felt strongly that he'd be a good player, but it's been exciting, it's been fun to watch him develop and turn into a great player."

MadScientist
10-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Good articles, but Favre comparisons are no longer needed. Rodgers numbers wow by themselves. The title of Mr. Consistency is a little weak. Rodgers has been consistently awesome.

pbmax
10-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Favre comparisons are legit, but not for the top level of performance, but for career longevity and effectiveness.

There is an argument about MVPs, but its hard not to find that Rodgers has at least equaled Favre's peak performance.

Fritz
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I have also read that Aaron Rodgers's poop does not stink. Not one bit.

gbgary
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I have also read that Aaron Rodgers's poop does not stink. Not one bit.

:lol:

Guiness
10-21-2011, 02:30 PM
PB's got it exactly right.

There's no doubt that Rodger's ceiling is as high as Favre's ever was. What remains to be seen is if will be able to have a long career.

The Pack didn't have to worry about who was going to be under center for well over a decade. I remember reading something about the number of QB's Chicago went through during Favre's tenure, and it was shocking. That was something that certainly contributed in a not-insignificant way to how good and central he was to the Pack's success.

No one is expecting Rodger's to have anywhere near the longevity Favre did - I doubt anyone will, ever again.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
The Packers are 17-1 in the last 18 games that Rodgers has started and finished. Rodgers has a passer rating of 111 or better in 14 of the last 16. If it weren't for Chicago, he'd be on an even crazier run. The only two games in which he didn't achieve a 111+ passer rating were the two Chicago games at the end of last year. It was a good sign that he achieved that in this year's game at Chicago. I don't know where it's leading, but I'm just astounded by the current run he's on.

Gunakor
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Rodgers doesn't miss that start against New England if it's 1996. Favre doesn't start 321 consecutive games if his rookie season is 2005. The reason we'll never see that kind of longevity anymore is because we're no longer turning a blind eye to the effects of certain injuries. The day Favre suffered that concussion only to return to the game without medical clearance to toss a 4th down TD to Javon Walker - he wouldn't have been allowed to go back in that game, and he wouldn't have been allowed to play the following game either. This is not meant to take away from Favre's accomplishment or to imply his record is any less meaningful or important. But it's not something anyone can hold against Aaron Rodgers or any other young QB playing the game today. It's not because they're not tough enough.

Fritz
10-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Gun's got a good post there.

pbmax
10-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Gun's got a good post there.

What game was it Favre went out after being knocked dizzy and told he was done for the day, went back in and threw wildly for a TD and then was physically restrained from returning to the field?

mraynrand
10-21-2011, 06:00 PM
What game was it Favre went out after being knocked dizzy and told he was done for the day, went back in and threw wildly for a TD and then was physically restrained from returning to the field?

Giants at Green Bay, 2004. I was there! That was crazy. Week three in a four game losing streak after beating Carolina on MNF to open the season. This was the Slow-wit experiment year of extreme blitzing with corners who couldn't cover a piece of bread with peanut butter. Favre got dinged in the third quarter, was loopy on the sidelines and then ran out there, snapped the ball, ran around like crazy, and chucked one up for the Packers only TD. Pederson took over but was hurt and Craig Nall came in too late and threw 1 pass for 24 yards, launching speculation that the Craig Nall era had begun. Tiki Barber ran all over the Packers, and Kurt Warner outlasted the Pack.

rbaloha1
10-21-2011, 06:55 PM
AR is Mr. Consistent.

The comparisons to Favre are difficult since:

1. Favre was a 3 time MVP

2. AR has thrown to a stable receiving core. Favre's receiving core was unstable.

3. IMO Favre had a better offensive line.

Nonetheless I prefer AR's game management skills (which Favre mocked) to Favre's game management skills.

Pugger
10-21-2011, 09:42 PM
We all love Rodgers but I suggest we end these comparison threads between #12 and #4. We don't need another pissing match about these two players. :beat:

Guiness
10-21-2011, 10:31 PM
We all love Rodgers but I suggest we end these comparison threads between #12 and #4. We don't need another pissing match about these two players. :beat:

I don't think this is so much a pissing match as admitting the different eras. Gun's got it right, the term 'got his bell rung' has a far different outcome now than it did, even just 10 years ago. Smelling salts are no longer the first thing a trainer pulls out.

Of course, maybe Favre never had a concussion. Ever see the Simpson's episode where Homer decides to start boxing, and it turns out his brain is so small, it doesn't crash into the side of his head?

http://www.joe-ks.com/images/HomerSimpsonX-Ray.jpg

RashanGary
10-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Favre had durability, charisma and an addiction to the "wow" moment. He's an all time great.

And I know Joe Montana is considered a better QB than Favre, but who do you think people remember more? Favre had an aura about him.

Rodgers is boring. It looks too easy. Favre made it look hard, made it exciting. AR throws on the run with a 260 LB LB chasing him and it looks like he's warming up on the sideline.

If you like a winner, a champion, I think AR is your guy. If you like excitement. It's Favre. But that's an individual thing. While AR is a bit boring. . . Favre was an exciting individual.

While AR is a great player, the spotlight is on the team, at least from a Packer fan perspective. For your average fan, the highlights of Rodgers and hte stats are probably what people think of when they think of hte Packers right now. Us fans, I don't know. I think we're kind of spread out between a bunch of cool guys. There are your Harvey's out there who <heart> AR and yeah, he's the biggest name, but I think there are a lot of Packer fans who have other favorite players. I do. When Favre was here, he was the one and only. He overshadowed everything. It's a very different dynamic. Favre had more aura. AR is better.

HarveyWallbangers
10-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Rodgers isn't my favorite Packer. Never has been. Just acknowledging greatness. My favorite current Packer is Greg Jennings. My previous favorite was Ahman Green.

Partial
10-22-2011, 12:02 AM
He's obviously playing unreal right now. I think you guys overrate him, though. Given a choice of needing to win a game tomorrow, I still take Manning and Brady over him. That's probably it, though.

channtheman
10-22-2011, 12:47 AM
He's obviously playing unreal right now. I think you guys overrate him, though. Given a choice of needing to win a game tomorrow, I still take Manning and Brady over him. That's probably it, though.

I don't.

vince
10-22-2011, 01:02 AM
There's nothing boring to me about greatness. It's impossible to overrate the streak Rodgers is on. IT's never been done before in the history of the game. Maybe Brady when they went on their run a few years back is second, but they have a Super Bowl loss to show and Rodgers has an epic run through the playoffs on the road and a Super Bowl MVP. Enough said.

Tying Young would be big, but getting the 13th straight win for the all-time Packer record is bigger.

woodbuck27
10-22-2011, 01:06 AM
I'd like to see Rodgers get this "record." These are from the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Great facts really Harvey but:

What's with the comparisons with Brett Favre. they are two differrent people and QB's under different regimes. Favre played a long long time. He played alot alot alot. He gave alot alot alot. Favre was definitely the NFL Icon for some time. Favre was and will continue to be a LEGEND. Farve was MR. EXCITEMENT.

Aaron Rodgers is off the a blazing start as an NFL QB, and fortunate for us TT drafted him. His potential and his actual performance were and is off the charts outstanding. Really he's in his own class now in the NFL or headed there. Please don't JINX him with over the top, off the wall comparisons to a truly GREAT GREEN BAY PACKER.

What you said, what I said, what anyone here said in the past RE: whatever; is moot compared with what we have to post that's truly positive today. Let's get the karma advantage. Let's shake the nonsense comparisons to prove whatever and just enjoy this Packer tam and their leader on the field.

The dominating starting QB. Aaron Rodgers. GOD protect this man on the field.

vince
10-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Favre and Rodgers are forever going to be compared and contrasted. Get used to it.

woodbuck27
10-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Favre and Rodgers are forever going to be compared and contrasted. Get used to it.

Isn't that a sad thing. If I was Aaron Rodgers. I would just enjoy being seen for the QB I am period. Certainly NOT compared to a GREEN BAY PACKER GREAT. His legacy as an NFL QB and a Packer QB should stand alone.

GO Aaron Rodgers. GO PACK GO!

MadScientist
10-22-2011, 01:58 AM
Isn't that a sad thing. If I was Aaron Rodgers. I would just enjoy being seen for the QB I am period. Certainly NOT compared to a GREEN BAY PACKER GREAT. His legacy as an NFL QB and a Packer QB should stand alone.

I tried suggesting this and the conversation went straight to BF. :roll:

Look, comparing statistics is fine for getting historical context, but it shouldn't be just AR v BF. Look at Rodgers season so far, he as a rating+ (a stat that can be used to compare across eras better than just rating) of 150. If he can keep that up for the season (huge if) that would put it in the same category as Brady in 07, Manning in 04, Young '94, Montana '89, and so on. Basically Rodgers season so far is on par with the best seasons of the best players in history. Long way to go, but we could be watching a truly special season. (Although he as no chance of touching Arnie Herber's 198 in 1936)

Pugger
10-22-2011, 06:15 AM
On every Packer board I visit if anyone begins a thread about Rodgers' play it ALWAYS becomes a AR/BF comparison and this is my beef. Why can't we just discuss Rodgers and HIS play without having to bring our past QB into every freaking thread? Woodbuck is right, Rodgers' play, especially over these past dozen games since last season, should stand on their own merit.

vince
10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
QB's are always compared to one another. The Packers have been blessed with two historically great QBs in succession. Which one is/was greater? The comparisons are not only inevitable, but they're good for the Packers and demonstrate how exceptional the franchis is and how fortunate Packer fans have been.

At first, Rodgers couldn't compare to the greatness of Favre, but he was still compared to him and people blasted him for it. Kids were telling him to go fuck himself. He was even threatened physical harm if I recall. How could he ever match up to Favre...

Well, he got past that, but today, he not only compares, but has done better when you look at production on the field at this respective point in their careers. Now it's not just Rodgers being compared to Favre, but Favre being compared to Rodgers - in many ways not so well. Rodgers has arrived and a good way to establish that is to compare him to the legendary QB who came before him. It's a legitimate thing to do and it's good for Rodgers and the Packers.

Those who continue to harbor emotional baggage don't like the comparisons, but attempting to stifle the free exchange of ideas because of some personal emotional need to avoid thinking about certain things isn't going to work.

Pugger
10-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Constantly comparing the two does no justice to EITHER PLAYER. They both were/are great. I have no problem comparing the two but it becomes tiresome when every cotton pickin' thread about Rodgers becomes a comparison.

vince
10-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Constantly comparing the two does no justice to EITHER PLAYER.
Of course it does. The only way to establish context to discuss the greatness of any player is to compare them to other great players.

pbmax
10-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Favre had durability, charisma and an addiction to the "wow" moment. He's an all time great.

And I know Joe Montana is considered a better QB than Favre, but who do you think people remember more? Favre had an aura about him.

Rodgers is boring. It looks too easy. Favre made it look hard, made it exciting. AR throws on the run with a 260 LB LB chasing him and it looks like he's warming up on the sideline.

If you like a winner, a champion, I think AR is your guy. If you like excitement. It's Favre. But that's an individual thing. While AR is a bit boring. . . Favre was an exciting individual.

While AR is a great player, the spotlight is on the team, at least from a Packer fan perspective. For your average fan, the highlights of Rodgers and hte stats are probably what people think of when they think of hte Packers right now. Us fans, I don't know. I think we're kind of spread out between a bunch of cool guys. There are your Harvey's out there who <heart> AR and yeah, he's the biggest name, but I think there are a lot of Packer fans who have other favorite players. I do. When Favre was here, he was the one and only. He overshadowed everything. It's a very different dynamic. Favre had more aura. AR is better.

For those that have seen both, Joe Montana. By a country mile. Perhaps even a country parsec. At the start of his career, the charming persona was used as the positive side of the coverage while he played like his hair was on fire. He might have been Joe Cool to the media, but on the field he was an assassin.

Only young'uns could be confused by that comparison.

pbmax
10-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Eli? I don't buy that one. But if you mean Peyton, then I will take the QB without the neck collar on. :lol:

Fritz
10-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Well, how about comparing Rodgers to Starr? They are more similar in style than Favre and Starr or Favre and Rodgers.

pbmax
10-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Dan Patrick yesterday made the mistake of calling Bart Starr a game manager along the lines of Bob Griese. I would bet older Packer fans lit up the telegraph office with complaints.

Fritz
10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Dan Patrick yesterday made the mistake of calling Bart Starr a game manager along the lines of Bob Griese. I would bet older Packer fans lit up the telegraph office with complaints.

Maybe Dan Patrick should stop looking in the mirror and fondling his nipples all the time and maybe do some research. Here ya go, DP (love your initials!):

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2103_The_definitive_list%3A_Top_10_NFL_quarterb acks.html

MJZiggy
10-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Eli? I don't buy that one. But if you mean Peyton, then I will take the QB without the neck collar on. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing except I forgot about Eli. How can you forget a whole quarterback????

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Great facts really Harvey but:

What's with the comparisons with Brett Favre.

It wasn't my comparison. It was an article in the Minneapolis paper. I think it was an interesting talking point, and something that I've been saying for several weeks now.

HarveyWallbangers
10-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Before Favre vs. Rodgers, we had plenty of discussions about Favre vs. Starr. The years separating these three greats is the reason you see even more Favre vs. Rodgers comparison. I'm sure most Steve Young conversations ended up being a Young vs. Montana comparison for 49ers fans in the early to mid 90s.

Maybe we should compare Starr vs. Favre vs. Rodgers. Which of the three do you think was the best at their best? Rank 'em. I'd go Rodgers (now), Favre (in the mid 90s), and Starr (in the mid 60s). Favre had the longevity, so did Starr. For career accomplishments those two are still at the top of the list, but I'd go with Rodgers play right now being the best QB play we've ever seen in Green Bay.

gbgary
10-22-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2103_The_definitive_list%3A_Top_10_NFL_quarterb acks.html

fooking awesome!!

Harlan Huckleby
10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I can't remember any QB playing better over a string of games, ever. But then again, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Fritz
10-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Your mom made Kraft macaroni and cheese, blue dog. She gave you a milk bone for dessert.

woodbuck27
10-23-2011, 12:14 AM

There's no doubt that Rodger's ceiling is as high as Favre's ever was. What remains to be seen is if will be able to have a long career.

The Pack didn't have to worry about who was going to be under center for well over a decade. I remember reading something about the number of QB's Chicago went through during Favre's tenure, and it was shocking. That was something that certainly contributed in a not-insignificant way to how good and central he was to the Pack's success.

No one is expecting Rodger's to have anywhere near the longevity Favre did - I doubt anyone will, ever again.

woodbuck27
10-23-2011, 12:18 AM
On every Packer board I visit if anyone begins a thread about Rodgers' play it ALWAYS becomes a AR/BF comparison and this is my beef. Why can't we just discuss Rodgers and HIS play without having to bring our past QB into every freaking thread? Woodbuck is right, Rodgers' play, especially over these past dozen games since last season, should stand on their own merit.

Thank You.

woodbuck27
10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
QB's are always compared to one another. The Packers have been blessed with two historically great QBs in succession. Which one is/was greater? The comparisons are not only inevitable, but they're good for the Packers and demonstrate how exceptional the franchis is and how fortunate Packer fans have been.

At first, Rodgers couldn't compare to the greatness of Favre, but he was still compared to him and people blasted him for it. Kids were telling him to go fuck himself. He was even threatened physical harm if I recall. How could he ever match up to Favre...

Well, he got past that, but today, he not only compares, but has done better when you look at production on the field at this respective point in their careers. Now it's not just Rodgers being compared to Favre, but Favre being compared to Rodgers - in many ways not so well. Rodgers has arrived and a good way to establish that is to compare him to the legendary QB who came before him. It's a legitimate thing to do and it's good for Rodgers and the Packers.

Those who continue to harbor emotional baggage don't like the comparisons, but attempting to stifle the free exchange of ideas because of some personal emotional need to avoid thinking about certain things isn't going to work.

Those who continue to harbor emotional baggage don't like the comparisons, but attempting to stifle the free exchange of ideas because of some personal emotional need to avoid thinking about certain things isn't going to work. Vince

No Vince.I humbly submit this:

I personally hope that AR absolutely destroys Favre's and any other QB's seasonal records, as he's our current QB.

The people who loved Brett Favre will not ever let go of that love as we appreciated Favre's special ways as our QB. we especilly have to appreciate his endurance and lonetivity to start all those games and somehow lead some pretty poor talent to winning seasons. He played awesome overall right up to and including his final season in Green Bay. He just had a difficult time wiring that brain of his and his emotions into finishing more often. That sucker gave us all he was and sometimes that was too much. He was removed and replaced as OUR QB and that was emotonal for some of his most dedicated fans

Is that too strange? Too much to comprehend?

It's called loyality to a GREAT Green Bay Packer. Loyalty to a QB that will go down as an ALL Time NFL GREAT; as well and a man that played the game with as much grit, determination and toughness as can be matched by no other NFL player IMO, much more an NFL QB.

I'm a Green Bay Packer fan today as I've be for over 50 seasons.

I realistically pull for and enjoy seeing AR play as he has so far. That is one amazing NFL QB and WOW! He's OURS ! The past is the past. We Favre fans appreciate all Favre did for the game as a Green Bay Packer and his legacy is assured and in the books. Read all the ink. There is a load of it and that spells Favre's GREATNESS. PERIOD.

I want AR to do his best to surpass FAVRE AND PLAY LIGHTS OUT FOOTBALL AS OUR QB AND I SEE HIS POTENTIAL TO BE MORE EFFICIENT AND A BETTER BIG GAME WINNER THAN BRETT FAVRE WAS. AR WILL HAVE TO PLAY MORE SEASONS YET, BEFORE WE CAN ACCURATELY ASSESS HIM VS BRETT FAVRE IN TERMS OF THAT INK I WRITE OF.

FOR NOW I WANT AARON RODGERS TO BE THE BEST SEASON TO SEASON WE'VE EVER SEEN. (WHOOPS...SORRY FOR THE CAP LOCKS)

woodbuck27
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
It wasn't my comparison. It was an article in the Minneapolis paper. I think it was an interesting talking point, and something that I've been saying for several weeks now.

It's cool Harve and now we have a debate that may just clear some air in OUR Packer Home.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2011, 01:38 AM
AR WILL HAVE TO PLAY MORE SEASONS YET, BEFORE WE CAN ACCURATELY ASSESS HIM VS BRETT FAVRE IN TERMS OF THAT INK I WRITE OF.

It's not talking about career achievements. Favre had more longevity than anyone. Rodgers won't be around that long, so he'll never have the career records. The premise of the article is that Rodgers is playing better right now than Favre did at his best. You don't need more seasons to determine that. Either you agree with the premise or you don't.

Pugger
10-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Of course it does. The only way to establish context to discuss the greatness of any player is to compare them to other great players.

But in every thread?? As I said above, it isn't just here. Its on other forums as well. If you visit them and read any Rodgers thread about his play in any particular game sooner or later somebody will bring up #4. I don't recall this happening when Favre was our starter and folks bringing up Starr all the time.

Comparisons are fine when you are trying to establish the overall play of a QB but not when you are discussing how the QB is performing each week.

Pugger
10-23-2011, 07:48 AM
It's not talking about career achievements. Favre had more longevity than anyone. Rodgers won't be around that long, so he'll never have the career records. The premise of the article is that Rodgers is playing better right now than Favre did at his best. You don't need more seasons to determine that. Either you agree with the premise or you don't.

And the author of this article is correct. I don't know if I've seen a QB play like Rodgers is now anywhere before either. Thanks Ted!!! :D

Fritz
10-23-2011, 07:54 AM
In some regards this is a debate about sample size. Has Rodgers performed at this high level for long enough to consider him a great as other great QB's? Whether you say Favre, or PManning or Brady, has Rodgers played long enough at a high level to be considered in their class?

MJZiggy
10-23-2011, 08:13 AM
But in every thread?? As I said above, it isn't just here. Its on other forums as well. If you visit them and read any Rodgers thread about his play in any particular game sooner or later somebody will bring up #4. I don't recall this happening when Favre was our starter and folks bringing up Starr all the time.

Comparisons are fine when you are trying to establish the overall play of a QB but not when you are discussing how the QB is performing each week.

I think it may be a proximity issue. There was a LONG, COLD drought between Starr's glory and Favre's arrival. I think if the Majik Man had had a longer career, you might have seen more comparisons there, but who were people going to compare Favre to? Dickey? Really?

Pugger
10-23-2011, 09:14 AM
I think it may be a proximity issue. There was a LONG, COLD drought between Starr's glory and Favre's arrival. I think if the Majik Man had had a longer career, you might have seen more comparisons there, but who were people going to compare Favre to? Dickey? Really?

You are right, it is the proximity issue. But it is still ridiculous that every time Rodgers' play is discussed somebody has to bring up #4.

Pugger
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
In some regards this is a debate about sample size. Has Rodgers performed at this high level for long enough to consider him a great as other great QB's? Whether you say Favre, or PManning or Brady, has Rodgers played long enough at a high level to be considered in their class?

This is why it is silly to compare Rodgers to ANY of these QBs until we have a larger body of work to consider.

MJZiggy
10-23-2011, 10:56 AM
You are right, it is the proximity issue. But it is still ridiculous that every time Rodgers' play is discussed somebody has to bring up #4.

It'll go away soon enough. Right now people are working through the idea that Rodgers may actually be better (something that some folks thought was simply not possible) and trying to define "better" in terms of very different styles of play. It'll get worked out and hopefully the comparisons will be silly for a different reason. :)

mraynrand
10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Gee, you never see current QBs compared to their predecessors. Right, Steve Young?

Rodgers' play, especially over these past dozen games since last season, should stand on their own merit. What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Harlan Huckleby
10-23-2011, 02:17 PM
why aren't there more "mr rodger's neighborhood" references made? seems to me there is some comedy gold in there somewhere.

MJZiggy
10-23-2011, 02:29 PM
why aren't there more "mr rodger's neighborhood" references made? seems to me there is some comedy gold in there somewhere.

Too obvious.

ThunderDan
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
The people who loved Brett Favre will not ever let go of that love as we appreciated Favre's special ways as our QB. we especilly have to appreciate his endurance and lonetivity to start all those games and somehow lead some pretty poor talent to winning seasons.

Is this really what arguement you are left with? You are trying to make BF better somehow by saying he played with poor talent. BF's record doesn't need to be propped up with crap like that.

Let's just say this: BF was an increadible Ironman. He was a dynamic player and leader. He left the Packers in a pissing contest that he was sure he couldn't loose. He went to The Queens, after the Jets, to get back at the Packers organization. He will be a first ballot HOFer.

Personally I dislike BF for leaving the Pack and trying to stick it to the organization. I also realize he was an integral part of our team for over 15 years that won the Superbowl in 96.

pbmax
10-23-2011, 10:50 PM
kareemcopeland Kareem Copeland
Rodgers: 20-23, 87%, 305 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 158.3 QB rating. Fights crime during down time.

Copeland's Twitter feed.

HarveyWallbangers
10-23-2011, 11:02 PM
24 of 30. Two spikes. Two throwaways. One drop. One off target throw. In fact, according to Stats Inc., it's the first time this year that a QB with at least 30 pass attempts had fewer than two off target throws in a game. But Partial thinks we overrate him. Talk about a guy too proud to admit he's wrong.

In his last 17 full games Rodgers is 401 of 566 (70.8 %) for 5331 yards (9.4 ypa) with 46 TDs and 6 interceptions. The Packers are 16-1. Not often you see a guy lead the league in completion % and yards per attempt.

Upnorth
10-23-2011, 11:26 PM
24 of 30. Two spikes. Two throwaways. One drop. One off target throw. In fact, according to Stats Inc., it's the first time this year that a QB with at least 30 pass attempts had fewer than two off target throws in a game. But Partial thinks we overrate him. Talk about a guy too proud to admit he's wrong.

In his last 17 full games Rodgers is 401 of 566 (70.8 %) for 5331 yards (9.4 ypa) with 46 TDs and 6 interceptions. The Packers are 16-1. Not often you see a guy lead the league in completion % and yards per attempt.

After the graphic in the 49ers game that made arod a cyborg amalgamation of the best part of the best qbs I for one expect this level of performance.

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Rodgers current stats if projected over 16 games: 391-546 5421 yards 46 TD's 7 INT 125.7 rating
Tom Brady in 2007: 398-578 4806 yards 50 TD's 8 INT's 117.2 rating
Peyton Manning in 2004: 336-497 4557 yards 49 TD's 10 INT 121.1 rating

Gunakor
10-24-2011, 04:42 AM
But Partial thinks we overrate him.

I'd put him in the top 6 or 7.

woodbuck27
10-24-2011, 05:24 AM
I don't think this is so much a pissing match as admitting the different eras. Gun's got it right, the term 'got his bell rung' has a far different outcome now than it did, even just 10 years ago. Smelling salts are no longer the first thing a trainer pulls out.

Of course, maybe Favre never had a concussion. Ever see the Simpson's episode where Homer decides to start boxing, and it turns out his brain is so small, it doesn't crash into the side of his head?

http://www.joe-ks.com/images/HomerSimpsonX-Ray.jpg

May I take fr. that that Favre may have a small brain? That may be implied based on a resemblance to Homer Simpson (somehow)? or ... Favre's 'drawl' slow talking manner?

That Favre didn't ever have a concussion. Do you think he escaped such a fate? I don't.

SHIT ! Brett Favre wouldn't have the common sense to complain to the HC or trainers that he was concussed.

Agree or disagree doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I loved Brett Favre behind OUR center.

He'd just puke and put his ass back out on the field to produce points for his team. Alot of you wil recall that game where he got his bell rung and was out for a couple of plays and installed himself into the game and engineered a TD right awa as I re-call it. hat man was out on the field. I believe he was concussed but too much into the game to protect himself. He was Brett Favre. MR. let,s go get em. Mr. Gung Ho !

That's what Brett Favre was all about. He just loved to play football, to compete. Brett Favre was a real DANDY and as a QB for the Green Bay Packers he was way beyond 'just' special. Just the fact he was OUR QB makes him special but the way he was OUR QB. Awesome in the HIGHEST.

Agree or disagree doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I loved Brett Favre behind OUR center.

Now I LOVE Aaron Rodgers behind OUR center.We are Green Bay Packer 'super fans'. We come here to our Packer HOME to celebrate the PACKERS and tlk football and on Romper Roo anything under the sun is so well discussed.

e are one bunch of very fortunate people to have PACKERRATS. So let's celebrate Aaron Rodgers as he's totally awesome. Let's not forget any Packer player, least of all that 'a Legend'; all the positive Brett Favre gave to us, or at least tried to.

Damn he let me down at times too, but I love him. I'll always cherish the way that man played the game for my team and to go anywhere else makes ZERO sense to me.

Let's all heal or somehow try to get along better here. To go on squibling over the Favre Vs Aaron Rodgers controversy is simply silly. We are one lucky bunch to have these great QB's; one follow the other to stand behind OUR center and play lights out football.

For the positive memory of Brett Favre and the contemplation of the greatness of Aaron Rodgers.

GO PACKERS!

PS: Now @ 7 wins... ZERO Loss's after defeating the Minnesota Vikings in Minny yesterday Sunday Oct. 23 2011. RAW! RAW!! RAW!!!

My name is Ed. woodbuck27

Pugger
10-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Ed, until recently the league didn't take concussions very seriously. I'd wager Favre had a few concussions in his career but went back out there anyway. I recall in one game they gave him smelling salts! Because of changes in how teams will address this I doubt any QB in the future will be able to touch Favre's streak.

mraynrand
10-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Ed, until recently the league didn't take concussions very seriously. I'd wager Favre had a few concussions in his career but went back out there anyway. I recall in one game they gave him smelling salts! Because of changes in how teams will address this I doubt any QB in the future will be able to touch Favre's streak.

yup. Spot on

3irty1
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM

I'll bite here. Favre had more upside for sure. Favre's physical tools were off the charts even by today's standards. That said if you put Favre's 40 year old mind in his 23 year old body I still don't think I'd take him over Rodgers. Rodgers when coupled with McCarthy is the most cerebral tandem that's ever existed in the NFL IMO. More so than Brady and Belichick, Warner and Martz, or Manning and himself.

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll bite here. Favre had more upside for sure. Favre's physical tools were off the charts even by today's standards. That said if you put Favre's 40 year old mind in his 23 year old body I still don't think I'd take him over Rodgers. Rodgers when coupled with McCarthy is the most cerebral tandem that's ever existed in the NFL IMO. More so than Brady and Belichick, Warner and Martz, or Manning and himself.

Montana and Walsh?

mraynrand
10-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Montana and Walsh?

That's who they look like, don't they? Except Rodgers throws a better deep ball.

mraynrand
10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
After the graphic in the 49ers game that made arod a frankensteinian amalgamation of the best part of the best qbs I for one expect this level of performance.

fixed (I would have agreed with cyborg, but Manning's injury proved that he isn't a robot, as previously believed)