PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars: Cheap Or Incompetent?

pbmax
10-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Forget for the moment the player personnel issues involved in releasing an injured player and forget for the moment that the Jaguars do appear to be supremely cheap due, at least in part, to locating a franchise in Jacksonville when other more lucrative options existed. Also forget the idiotic rationale the NFL used to select Jacksonville over St. Louis, Baltimore and Memphis.

Is it possible they did not know Garrard had a herniated disc in his back?

He claims some back problems since college and had tightness there last year, though not bad enough to miss games. But this preseason, he aggravated the back and was diagnosed (the article does not specify by whom) with a bulging disc.

A month after his release, when rehab had made back and leg problems worse, he consults with another doctor who finds a herniated disc.

That is a bad reputation to have as a franchise. And while I despised the Elway maneuver when he did it in 1983, I can now understand why someone (Luck) might do the same to the Jaguars. Not sure why Eli did that to the Chargers, though.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-10-17/story/agent-accuses-jaguars-shirking-bill-cutting-david-garrard#ixzz1bMUKhCnp

Fritz
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I find "cheap" and "incompetent" are often not mutually exclusive terms.

red
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
they should take all 3 shitty teams that no one wants to go see in florida and combine them into one team based in orlando

its nuts that the state has 3 teams and none of them can sell out a game

Fritz
10-21-2011, 01:28 PM
That goes back to when owners of sports franchises saw all those old folks retiring down there and thought they had an automatic market. But Grandpa doesn't want to maneuver himself and his walker around a stadium - it's easier to watch on TV.

red
10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
That is a bad reputation to have as a franchise. And while I despised the Elway maneuver when he did it in 1983, I can now understand why someone (Luck) might do the same to the Jaguars. Not sure why Eli did that to the Chargers, though.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-10-17/story/agent-accuses-jaguars-shirking-bill-cutting-david-garrard#ixzz1bMUKhCnp

the charges were horrible until that draft

96. 8-8
97. 4-12
98. 5-11
99. 8-8
00. 1-11
01. 5-11
02. 8-8
03- 4-12

it was the next year(after that draft) when the chargers blew up. and don't forget, the chargers already had that brees guy on the roster (although he was hurt)

red
10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
That goes back to when owners of sports franchises saw all those old folks retiring down there and thought they had an automatic market. But Grandpa doesn't want to maneuver himself and his walker around a stadium - it's easier to watch on TV.grandpa's not exactly living the high life with just those social security checks coming in either

Guiness
10-21-2011, 01:39 PM
the charges were horrible until that draft

96. 8-8
97. 4-12
98. 5-11
99. 8-8
00. 1-11
01. 5-11
02. 8-8
03- 4-12

it was the next year(after that draft) when the chargers blew up. and don't forget, the chargers already had that brees guy on the roster (although he was hurt)

Yup. He didn't want to be part of a team that seemed to be perpetually mired in mediocrity. Actually, mediocrity would have been overstating their play; they were just plain old bad for some time, and no reason to believe they were going to turn it around.

mraynrand
10-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Yup. He didn't want to be part of a team that seemed to be perpetually mired in mediocrity. Actually, mediocrity would have been overstating their play; they were just plain old bad for some time, and no reason to believe they were going to turn it around.

He probably didn't appreciate the fate of the last #1 pick either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1707zfdNCw&feature=related

MJZiggy
10-21-2011, 05:48 PM
grandpa's not exactly living the high life with just those social security checks coming in either

And just 'cause he moved to Florida does not mean he gave up rooting for his hometown team.

Pugger
10-21-2011, 09:35 PM
That goes back to when owners of sports franchises saw all those old folks retiring down there and thought they had an automatic market. But Grandpa doesn't want to maneuver himself and his walker around a stadium - it's easier to watch on TV.

Most of the old folks in Florida come from somewhere else and continue to follow the team they've been fans of for years. Folks like me are not going to switch alliances just because we retired down here. I have grey haired friends who go to Tampa and/or Miami when their hometown team is playing these Florida teams and half the stands are cheering for the visitors.

woodbuck27
10-22-2011, 01:30 AM
I find "cheap" and "incompetent" are often not mutually exclusive terms.

An 'incompetent' spendthrift boyfriend failed to buy flowers and other nice things for his gal. One day she decided to send him packing;informing him that he was 'cheap'.