PDA

View Full Version : Match Made In Heaven: McCarthy and Finley

pbmax
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
McCarthy sets him up, and Finley knocks it out of the park:

"Coach said in the first quarter, 'They're going to shoot their wad, and we've just got to come out and play our type of ball,' and we did," said tight end Jermichael Finley , who caught a third-quarter touchdown pass. "We're the only team in the league that's got that goose egg behind us. We've just got to stay humble and don't get complacent."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2011/10/23/4496_recap.html#ixzz1bfLCCesI

Life would be boring without the the loquacious one. :)

smuggler
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
Haha. That's awesome.

gbpackfan
10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
That is how real people talk. Nothing wrong with what he said. I love J-Mike and firmly believe the Packers will and NEED to resign him.

woodbuck27
10-24-2011, 06:36 AM
COOL !

Packers4Glory
10-24-2011, 07:34 AM
yup..that's how real men talk. It's always great to see in in print.

hoosier
10-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Finley forgot to mention that the Vikings are musket loaders too.

bobblehead
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
That is how real people talk. Nothing wrong with what he said. I love J-Mike and firmly believe the Packers will and NEED to resign him.

I was on this wagon several weeks ago, but recently I keep seeing things I don't like. This week it was JMike not knowing where to line up at the goal line and then costing us 6 when ARod turned his way and he looked lost. Its one thing after another that hints that he doesn't take the game as seriously as ARod, MM and TT might want him to. I don't see a blockbuster resigning in his near future. Franchise tag seems more likely to me.

Smeefers
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I'm just happy he didn't go on about eating scrambled eggs or something.

mraynrand
10-24-2011, 09:01 AM
"Coach said in the first quarter, 'They're going to shoot their wad, and we've just got to come out and play our type of ball,' and we did," said tight end Jermichael Finley , who caught a third-quarter touchdown pass. "We're the only team in the league that's got that goose egg behind us. We've just got to stay humble and don't get complacent."

Lang isn't going to be shooting his wad for a while, that's for sure. But MM was right - the Vikings were going to come out amped up. And they stayed that way, even when they got down. Peterson was impressive.

Spaulding
10-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I was on this wagon several weeks ago, but recently I keep seeing things I don't like. This week it was JMike not knowing where to line up at the goal line and then costing us 6 when ARod turned his way and he looked lost. Its one thing after another that hints that he doesn't take the game as seriously as ARod, MM and TT might want him to. I don't see a blockbuster resigning in his near future. Franchise tag seems more likely to me.

There is no denying Finley's talent but the more I follow him the more I think he's gone next year. Last year we proved we could win an SB without him and this year he's disappeared in several games and it's not due to double teams. To be honest, the team was almost worse last year when he was clicking. In that I mean early in the season last year his stats were going through the roof and Jennings and the rest of the WR's were suffering and it almost seemed the Rodgers had tunnel vision for Finley to the cost of the rest of the offense.

I think without him we're more balanced and that one of the four other TE's (Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, or Taylor) will step up enough that the cost of resigning Finley is just too high with new contracts on the horizon for Matthews and Raji. Plus resigning Wells should be a high priority as we don't seem to have anybody slated to replace him unless we take one high in the 2012 draft.

If he goes via FA we'll likely get a 3rd or 4th for him based on contract and if we franchise him for the year and then trade him we might get even more.

gbpackfan
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
You don't let difference makers just walk away. TT did that with Jenkins, and it is biting him in the ass. No offense to the other TEs on the roster, but NO DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE would game plan around them. They do for J Mike. What happens if Jennings gets injured? Then what? I just think that J Mike is a playmaker, a top talent and one of the best TEs in the league. He's young and only getting better. You keep him. PERIOD.

Spaulding
10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Respectfully disagree. He's going to want top dollar and he's not worth that to our team where ball distribution is extensive. At the cost of losing a Matthews or Raji in 2013, I think you do try to resign him but not break the bank. If he does want $'s over winning, then he goes to the highest bidder and I think you let him walk for FA compensation or if TT thinks he can trade him for more or afford him for one more year, you franchise him.

bobblehead
10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
You don't let difference makers just walk away. TT did that with Jenkins, and it is biting him in the ass. No offense to the other TEs on the roster, but NO DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE would game plan around them. They do for J Mike. What happens if Jennings gets injured? Then what? I just think that J Mike is a playmaker, a top talent and one of the best TEs in the league. He's young and only getting better. You keep him. PERIOD.

We are 7-0 right?? The eagles are what now? 2-5?

Fritz
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Apparently there's been a lot of wad-shooting in Minny for years and years. Here, again, is Coach Lombardi's quote after the first Viking-Packer contest ever, back in 1961:

“'The Vikings were aroused, I think,' Packers coach Vince Lombardi said."

Smidgeon
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
We are 7-0 right?? The eagles are what now? 2-5?

Exactly.

Brandon494
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I still have to laugh at fans who think we should let Finley walk.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 07:08 PM
There is no denying Finley's talent but the more I follow him the more I think he's gone next year. Last year we proved we could win an SB without him and this year he's disappeared in several games and it's not due to double teams. To be honest, the team was almost worse last year when he was clicking. In that I mean early in the season last year his stats were going through the roof and Jennings and the rest of the WR's were suffering and it almost seemed the Rodgers had tunnel vision for Finley to the cost of the rest of the offense.

I think without him we're more balanced and that one of the four other TE's (Quarless, Crabtree, Williams, or Taylor) will step up enough that the cost of resigning Finley is just too high with new contracts on the horizon for Matthews and Raji. Plus resigning Wells should be a high priority as we don't seem to have anybody slated to replace him unless we take one high in the 2012 draft.

If he goes via FA we'll likely get a 3rd or 4th for him based on contract and if we franchise him for the year and then trade him we might get even more.

Bolded portion times 1000. Jennings (NOT Finley) is the difference maker in this offense (other than Rodgers of course).

channtheman
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Did we or did we not just win a Super Bowl without him?

I mean, I think he was on the team, but I just don't recall him being a gamechanger or having any impact on our 6 game winning streak to end the season. Hmm, am I forgetting something?

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 07:44 PM
The Packers are a better team with Finley. It wasn't Finley's fault that Rodgers had tunnel vision toward Finley last year and seemed to be forgetting about Jennings. That said, if the Packers had to go without Finley, I think they would adjust quite well. You would see more 4-5 WR sets than you are seeing now. Quarless would be getting more opportunities than he is getting now.

The question, in my opinion, is not so much whether the Packers want Finley as it is whether Finley wants to stay here. Can't rule out the possibility that Finley will want to go to a team that doesn't have the varied receiving options the Packers have. I could see the Packers franchising Finley and trading him out of the division if they can't come to a contract agreement.

Brandon494
10-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Did we or did we not just win a Super Bowl without him?

I mean, I think he was on the team, but I just don't recall him being a gamechanger or having any impact on our 6 game winning streak to end the season. Hmm, am I forgetting something?

Your smarter then this.... I hope

channtheman
10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Your smarter then this.... I hope

Well I just figured since he is such a difference maker and this team needs him so much that there is no way we could have possibly won a Super Bowl without him.

You didn't answer the question though. I'll simplify it for you. Did we win the Super Bowl last year without Finley? (hint: yes.)

Packers4Glory
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
we won pretty much w/o Woodson playing as well. lets cut him.

steve823
10-24-2011, 09:46 PM
All this talk about Finley ,but signing Wells is more important than signing Finley. Wells has been playing great and we have nobody else besides him. Plus he does help protect the best player in the league. For Finley, at this point I don't care..if he wants crazy money screw him, if not we keep him.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
we won pretty much w/o Woodson playing as well. lets cut him.

I don't remember the part where Woodson got put on IR.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
All this talk about Finley ,but signing Wells is more important than signing Finley. Wells has been playing great and we have nobody else besides him. Plus he does help protect the best player in the league. For Finley, at this point I don't care..if he wants crazy money screw him, if not we keep him.

This. He is not some pivotal player that makes this offense go and without him we are screwed. We did just fine without him. If we can get him for what he is worth to us great. I don't think we will because he wants more money and more spotlight.

Lurker64
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Is everybody forgetting that we can just franchise Finley?

You're not going to franchise Wells, because that means you'd be paying him LT money when you can pay him C money and get him for more than one year. Who else are we going to use the tag on? Nelson is resigned, Sitton is resigned, Matt Flynn will certainly not be franchised (as that puts the Packers at risk for having to pay him the tag fee, which is like $17m, or trade him for peanuts)...

pbmax
10-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Don't Free Finley!

Can anyone get a deal on T-Shirts for this?

Spaulding
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM

You're not going to franchise Wells, because that means you'd be paying him LT money when you can pay him C money and get him for more than one year. Who else are we going to use the tag on? Nelson is resigned, Sitton is resigned, Matt Flynn will certainly not be franchised (as that puts the Packers at risk for having to pay him the tag fee, which is like $17m, or trade him for peanuts)...

Barring a cap issue I think we do franchise him and see if we can sign him for a reasonable contract (assuming we pay him like a top 5 TE and not THEE top TE which is what was hinted at this prior offseason). My point earlier though is I don't think you break the bank for a player that you've proven you can win without and where some the defensive studs (Raji and Matthews) will be due a new contract the following year and where you have no current replacement for a solid center in Wells that is also a free agent.

Brandon494
10-25-2011, 11:15 AM
You guys need to realize that big contracts like Clifton, Driver, Grant, Woodson, and possibly Collins will be off the books by the time those guys will need to be resigned. Just because don't dislike Finley stop denying his talents and acting like resigning him will handicap our team.

Did we win the SB without him? We sure did but you must be Ray Charles if you cant see that having him makes us a better team.

denverYooper
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Check out the Jennings TD play. 3 defenders again go toward Finley.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823669a5/Rodgers-Jennings-connection

That's the second play I've seen on record where Finley effectively took out 3 guys and left Jennings open just by being there.

Jennings should be asking for Finley to get paid. I don't think Finley is going anywhere.

mmmdk
10-25-2011, 01:09 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823669a5/Rodgers-Jennings-connection

That's the second play I've seen on record where Finley effectively took out 3 guys and left Jennings open just by being there.

Jennings should be asking for Finley to get paid. I don't think Finley is going anywhere.

Very good point! :tup:

hoosier
10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Can't rule out the possibility that Finley will want to go to a team that doesn't have the varied receiving options the Packers have.

This is what I have been thinking too: that Finley is going to want to go somewhere where he is showcased as the first and best option in the passing game. I hope I'm wrong, and that winning turns out to mean more to him than personal glory, but I suspect that with him the chance to put up personal numbers will have more sway.

hoosier
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM

The guy who blows the coverage is the strong safety, Tyrell Johnson (#25), who closes instead of maintaining depth like he was supposed to. It looks to me like he tries to jump Driver's crossing route (not converges on Finley). The TV angle isn't great but, for what it's worth, Mr. Concussion Syndrome (Aikman) had the same interpretation. On second thought, that probably means I am wrong.

MJZiggy
10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Don't Free Finley!

Can anyone get a deal on T-Shirts for this?

Tweet it to Finley. Maybe he'll add it to his clothing line.

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
The guy who blows the coverage is the strong safety, Tyrell Johnson (#25), who closes instead of maintaining depth like he was supposed to. It looks to me like he tries to jump Driver's crossing route (not converges on Finley). The TV angle isn't great but, for what it's worth, Mr. Concussion Syndrome (Aikman) had the same interpretation. On second thought, that probably means I am wrong.

Husain Abdullah blew the play

mraynrand
10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't remember the part where Woodson got put on IR.

Halftime of the Superbowl

mraynrand
10-25-2011, 11:23 PM

This was discussed from the opposite viewpoint in the Scott Wells thread. Patler still isn't talking to me.

MJZiggy
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
http://lufkindailynews.com/sports/article_beadaecc-ff81-11e0-b5e0-001cc4c03286.html

King Friday
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM

I don't want to let Finley walk. However, I think he WILL walk because he wants to catch 120 balls a year and make top dollar.

I'm not bothered with Finley leaving...I think we have reasonable talent behind him at TE and proved we can win without him last postseason. I'd rather pay the defensive stars...because without Clay or Raji our team would face a far greater chance of falling back to the pack.

King Friday
10-26-2011, 09:14 PM
You guys need to realize that big contracts like Clifton, Driver, Grant, Woodson, and possibly Collins will be off the books by the time those guys will need to be resigned. Just because don't dislike Finley stop denying his talents and acting like resigning him will handicap our team.

You need to realize that Thompson simply isn't interested in overpaying for anyone...at least until they earn it over time. He even got Rodgers locked up for peanuts, which will have to be increased greatly over time as well. Rodgers, Clay and Raji will eat up all the money from the players you mention and then some.

Lurker64
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
You need to realize that Thompson simply isn't interested in overpaying for anyone...at least until they earn it over time. He even got Rodgers locked up for peanuts, which will have to be increased greatly over time as well. Rodgers, Clay and Raji will eat up all the money from the players you mention and then some.

Franchising Finley for a year really isn't overpaying him. The franchise number for a TE is about $6m/year, which is a number we can deal with.

MJZiggy
10-26-2011, 09:48 PM
You guys talk about Finley leaving like it's a done deal. You never know what can happen.

Fritz
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
How true that is.

Brandon494
10-26-2011, 10:24 PM

You need to do a little research before you post and actually see what type of money players like Clifton, Driver, and Woodson are making right now. We'll have more then enough to resign Finley, Clay, and Raji. TT isnt going to overpay for Finley but stop assuming that we'll have to break the bank to resign Finley. Some fans act like this kid is the next TO just because he wants to be a great player. Its you actually followed his on tweets on twitter everyday instead of going by what he hear from the media you would know that this guy is all about the team and isn't a me first player. He just wants to be great and some fans take what he says the wrong way.

mraynrand
10-27-2011, 02:32 AM
You need to do a little research before you post and actually see what type of money players like Clifton, Driver, and Woodson are making right now. We'll have more then enough to resign Finley, Clay, and Raji. TT isnt going to overpay for Finley but stop assuming that we'll have to break the bank to resign Finley. Some fans act like this kid is the next TO just because he wants to be a great player. Its you actually followed his on tweets on twitter everyday instead of going by what he hear from the media you would know that this guy is all about the team and isn't a me first player. He just wants to be great and some fans take what he says the wrong way.

I agree. I think Finley comes across as an engaging, very confident guy. Nothing wrong with that. He still has some rough edges (doesn't always line up properly), but he's a great asset and makes the offense dynamic in the extreme. They will resign him, and he will be dominant for years to come.

And in answer to the jab that they won a Superbowl without him - well, yes they did. But it wasn't a cakewalk by any stretch. Just compare the offense against Chicago with and without Finley. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference Finley makes against teams like San Diego and Tampa as well. Assuming pass pro remains decent, I think Finley will continue to force most teams to leave guys open and give Rodgers all sorts of mismatches to exploit in the offense.

Fritz
10-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Look, I think Finley seems often to be a charismatic, confident, but still very young guy. He may well be a team-first guy. But he's got to look out for himself and make what he can while he can. He'd be foolish to play for relative peanuts just cuz he's a neat-o guy. And who could blame him for wanting to make what he can while he can in the precarious business that is the NFL?

Smeefers
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm saying Finley is gone because he is such a great player. I think he's an elite level tight end and he deserves to get paid. I simply believe that TT isn't going to spend that kind of money for a TE, especially with 4 TE's sitting behind him. I don't think Finley is going to want to get paid like a TE either. I think he's going to want to get paid like a reciever and that kind of money is huge. We may have the money to sign him, but just because we have it sitting in the bank doesn't mean TT is going to hand it out. Even though this is his contract year, Finley hasn't had much on the field production because of injury and the fact that he came into the league early and started off as a developmental player. Someone is going to pay him all kinds of money on the potential every single person who watches him play, sees. I just don't know if TT is in the habit of giving out monster contracts on potential alone.

Of course, if we do happen to hang on to him, I will be extremely happy. I just don't think it's going to happen (without a franchise tag).

mraynrand
10-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Look, I think Finley seems often to be a charismatic, confident, but still very young guy. He may well be a team-first guy. But he's got to look out for himself and make what he can while he can. He'd be foolish to play for relative peanuts just cuz he's a neat-o guy. And who could blame him for wanting to make what he can while he can in the precarious business that is the NFL?

What you say is true. Thing is, even without the F-tag, I'm betting the Packers can sign Finley - I suspect he might be willing to sign for less than crazy money. Top 3 TE money. There is the chance he will want to bolt no matter what, thinking he'd be the overwhelming featured guy in a lesser offense. We'll have to see.

gbgary
10-27-2011, 12:25 PM

yup. would be like letting jennings walk. crazy! i think tt will sign him also. i don't think tt wants to be like ron wolf and not keep top notch tallent around rodgers.

mraynrand
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM
yup. would be like letting jennings walk. crazy! i think tt will sign him also. i don't think tt wants to be like ron wolf and not keep top notch tallent around rodgers.

Oh stop that. Wolf wanted more receiving talent around Favre, he just couldn't always make it happen. But in 2000 alone, he drafted two tackles that would protect Favre for 7 years, and made a fabulous steal to pick up a RB that would protect him by not having to throw the ball every down, and drafted a TE in the first round who he thought would be the safety valve for a long time. Got to get over the "Ron Wolf didn't surround Favre with talent" meme. It's a bit trite.

gbgary
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
wolf himself admitted he didn't do enough. that that was his biggest regret. i'm not judging wolf...wolf judged wolf. i'm just using his assessment. i don't think tt ever wants to have to say that. hey wolf is a Packers legend as far as i'm concerned.

mraynrand
10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
wolf himself admitted he didn't do enough. that that was his biggest regret. i'm not judging wolf...wolf judged wolf. i'm just using his assessment. i don't think tt ever wants to have to say that. hey wolf is a Packers legend as far as i'm concerned.

It's tired even from Wolf himself. Seriously. Wolf regrets not drafting Moss. So did 19 other teams, etc. etc. etc. *Yawn*

Guiness
10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
It's tired even from Wolf himself. Seriously. Wolf regrets not drafting Moss. So did 19 other teams, etc. etc. etc. *Yawn*

Wolf's done his fair share of 'talking to hear myself talk'.

KYPack
10-27-2011, 04:16 PM
MM always wanted an elite pass catching TE to complete the full house hand the GBP holds on offense. TT traded for Tony Gonzales in mid season a few seasons back. Carl Peterson from KC reneged on the deal and the trade was cancelled. Thompson knows what a top TE means to this offense. Using the tag on JF? It might well happen, but nobody plays moneyball better than TT, the king of the NFL moneyball game.

woodbuck27
10-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I agree. I think Finley comes across as an engaging, very confident guy. Nothing wrong with that. He still has some rough edges (doesn't always line up properly), but he's a great asset and makes the offense dynamic in the extreme. They will resign him, and he will be dominant for years to come.

And in answer to the jab that they won a Superbowl without him - well, yes they did. But it wasn't a cakewalk by any stretch. Just compare the offense against Chicago with and without Finley. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference Finley makes against teams like San Diego and Tampa as well. Assuming pass pro remains decent, I think Finley will continue to force most teams to leave guys open and give Rodgers all sorts of mismatches to exploit in the offense.

Just how inteligent is this TE? ie What was his winderlic score? Then ... how smart is he? How wise??

How long will it take him to get it right in setting up for the play calls? Does he pay attention under duress? Again intelligence and will power are measured.

Is he still a threat to stretch the field?

How many players on the opposition 'D' are needed to cover him in a sure passing play?

How well is he handling assignment in terms of blocking?

Is he overall assignment sure?

Is he in any way a distraction to the team? ie a me me me guy? or

A potential leader?

Does his confidence match his effort and hands on gameday?

Who do you pay? J. Finley or R. Grant?

Is that even a consideration?

Just some of the questions I'd be asking myself or getting answers for if I was 'the man'.

GO PACK GO!

woodbuck27
10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
MM always wanted an elite pass catching TE to complete the full house hand the GBP holds on offense. TT traded for Tony Gonzales in mid season a few seasons back. Carl Peterson from KC reneged on the deal and the trade was cancelled. Thompson knows what a top TE means to this offense. Using the tag on JF? It might well happen, but nobody plays moneyball better than TT, the king of the NFL moneyball game.

Moneyball and TT and BEST.

KY if you say that. I buy that Man. That's my respect for you.

On the note of Moneyball....

http://www.moneyball-movie.com/

Everyone ... if you havn't seen Moneyball starring Brad Pitt try hard to get to that amazing movie.

Brad Pitt will win the OSCAR (Best Actor) THIS YEAR FOR HIS AMAZING PERFORMACE. I saw this movie 2X and enjoyed it more the second time. It's really well done.

I seldom go there or revisit a movie. It has to be something else and moies todat seem to reach hard into 'the SUCKY Department. I

saw 'The Town' 2X ( Ben Affleck's solid acting and Directorial debut); before that and way back in what, 1985, and Platoon.

GO PACKERS !

Partial
10-28-2011, 12:56 AM

I don't know if I'd go that far but he certainly has gotta be up there with Ozzie Newsome and Phil Savage as the king of talent evaluators. He's the best or second best drafter, that's for sure.

Finley isn't going anywhere unless they don't want him. I would not be surprised to see him signed to a 3 year extension during the bye. He'll have plenty of time to go out and get more money in a few years.

pbmax
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM
One other thing to consider would be how much elite money is committed on offense? Rodgers, Sitton and Jennings are young vets with high price tags. Bulaga and Sherrod are first round picks but both were the end of the 1st round and esp with Sherrod and the new slotting system, each is relatively cheap for a starting caliber player.

Clifton is the other carrying a big price tag but I suspect that might only be the case for one more year at most.

Driver, Jones and Nelson are all reasonable as is the rest of the O line.

I think there is money on offense to sign him to a big deal, if they wish to commit. The only open question is whether Finley is committed to testing FA like Jones, or is willing to sign early like Sitton or Jennings.

Guiness
10-28-2011, 01:30 PM
One other thing to consider would be how much elite money is committed on offense? Rodgers, Sitton and Jennings are young vets with high price tags. Bulaga and Sherrod are first round picks but both were the end of the 1st round and esp with Sherrod and the new slotting system, each is relatively cheap for a starting caliber player.

Clifton is the other carrying a big price tag but I suspect that might only be the case for one more year at most.

Driver, Jones and Nelson are all reasonable as is the rest of the O line.

I think there is money on offense to sign him to a big deal, if they wish to commit. The only open question is whether Finley is committed to testing FA like Jones, or is willing to sign early like Sitton or Jennings.

Is Sitton really getting elite money? His deal averages under $7million/year, so it's high, but not what Mankins or Hutchison make.

Driver may well renegotiate down to stay with the team. I'd say Clifton will come off the books, but it seems like I've heard that each of the last three years.

Regardless, I think the money is there, if TT decides Finley is where he wants to spend it. My gut tells me it won't happen though, that monster money will get thrown at him. I think he ends up being franchised and traded, as we did with Corey Williams. There's a lesser chance we sign him before the season is out, but I don't think so. I hope so, but don't think so.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Is Sitton really getting elite money? His deal averages under $7million/year, so it's high, but not what Mankins or Hutchison make.

Driver may well renegotiate down to stay with the team. I'd say Clifton will come off the books, but it seems like I've heard that each of the last three years.

Regardless, I think the money is there, if TT decides Finley is where he wants to spend it. My gut tells me it won't happen though, that monster money will get thrown at him. I think he ends up being franchised and traded, as we did with Corey Williams. There's a lesser chance we sign him before the season is out, but I don't think so. I hope so, but don't think so.

IMO. The botton line will be how he performs this season. That could be very well and could then go either way. How deep is his loyalty and dedication to OUR team?

PACKERS FOREVER !

pbmax
10-28-2011, 02:23 PM

A good point. I meant elite in terms of other Packer salaries. But he is definitely not a huge cost considering his comparables.

Guiness
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
JSO has an article on the TE's. A little light on content, but gives some perspective.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/snaps-are-precious-for-finleys-backup-crew-132756088.html

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
JSO has an article on the TE's. A little light on content, but gives some perspective.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/snaps-are-precious-for-finleys-backup-crew-132756088.html

THANKS Guiness. I enjoyed that story.It gave me an excellent insight in terms of the roles of 'the FIVE'. Five TE's, Unbelievable. (-:

Whatever woks for MM and the Coach's is good for US fans. WINS are indisputable.

PACKERS FOREVER!

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 07:15 PM

He has to want to stay. Be a Packer. Demonstrate that by producing, growing as a complete TE.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Upnorth
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I am excited to see quarless get more involved in the passing game. I hope williams blocking is improving, I just remember the sack where he fell away from the rusher and thought yikes.

Fritz
10-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I wonder if maybe the mucky-mucks upstairs would like to see a little more of Quarless this second half so they can decide how much they can or can't afford to lose Finley.

Finley is an awful blocker. Can you imagine how valuable he could be if he didn't whiff or go half-ass on so many blocks?

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 05:21 AM
I wonder if maybe the mucky-mucks upstairs would like to see a little more of Quarless this second half so they can decide how much they can or can't afford to lose Finley.

Finley is an awful blocker. Can you imagine how valuable he could be if he didn't whiff or go half-ass on so many blocks?

and with that post my mind is made up.

We lose Finley. He's expendable for the better whole of the team and that explains exactly why we have Five (5) TE's on the team. It is a message to J. F.

Using some New Brunswick slang so forgive me but it's this:

Shape up cause you outta, cause see what's in your backyard!? More Roosters!!

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
You people are nuts. He's one of the best tight ends in football. He's not expendable. Just because there happen to BE other tight ends on the team, doesn't mean they have Finley's talent. And if we're overrating his talent level, or his blocking truly does suck, other teams know that and he won't get the payday he's looking for. Teams do scout players before signing them--at least I'd hope they do.

Brandon494
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
and with that post my mind is made up.

We lose Finley. He's expendable for the better whole of the team and that explains exactly why we have Five (5) TE's on the team. It is a message to J. F.

Using some New Brunswick slang so forgive me but it's this:

Shape up cause you outta, cause see what's in your backyard!? More Roosters!!

and that post made up my mind that we keep Finley, you are always wrong. :)

mission
10-30-2011, 01:47 PM
and that post made up my mind that we keep Finley, you are always wrong. :)

:lol: Wiseguys call that a 'fade' ... safe play here imo.

Guiness
10-30-2011, 06:36 PM
You people are nuts. He's one of the best tight ends in football. He's not expendable. Just because there happen to BE other tight ends on the team, doesn't mean they have Finley's talent. And if we're overrating his talent level, or his blocking truly does suck, other teams know that and he won't get the payday he's looking for. Teams do scout players before signing them--at least I'd hope they do.

Daniel Snyder doesn't.

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Daniel Snyder doesn't.

To stupendous results.

Guiness
10-30-2011, 08:11 PM
To stupendous results.

I know. I just couldn't resist what may be my only opportunity in life to prove a woman wrong.

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I know. I just couldn't resist what may be my only opportunity in life to prove a woman wrong.
You obviously don't come around here enough. I'm wrong a lot.

Pugger
10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
A lot of us around here are wrong a lot regardless of gender.

Patler
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM

With all due respect, whether Finley is expendable or not does not depend at all on whether another TE on the roster has similar talent. It is clear that they do not. Finley's expendability depends entirely on TT and MM determining which is more valuable to overall team performance and long term projections:

The passing game options of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Starks, Driver or another WR and the remaining TEs plus $5-7 million to spend elsewhere on the team; or

The same passing game options plus Finley, and $5-7 million less to spend elsewhere on the team.

The passing game will change without Finley, for sure, but will any change in effectiveness be offset by benefits achieved from the use of that money elsewhere? It's a lot like money available for capital improvements without unlimited funds for all the improvements. Which is the greater need?

Brandon494
10-31-2011, 10:53 AM
You keep talent around ARod, plain and simple. Driver is on his way out soon, whatever he's making will just be shipped towards Finley. We can pay Hawk 5M a year but now 7M for Finley is too much?

Smidgeon
10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I've been thinking about this lately, and I'm not sure I've seen much of it. Whatever happened to the end zone jump ball of two years ago? Is Rodgers just so good that he doesn't need to toss it up? Finley is the perfect target for those throws because of his body control/hands/height.

Patler
10-31-2011, 11:44 AM
You keep talent around ARod, plain and simple. Driver is on his way out soon, whatever he's making will just be shipped towards Finley. We can pay Hawk 5M a year but now 7M for Finley is too much?

Theoretically, no it isn't. (I won't bore you with the arguments as to why Hawk is of more value to the team than Finley. :lol: ) But, there really are no good cap summaries out there right now like there were before the uncapped year. It is difficult for us as fans to project with any accuracy what their cap situation will look like in 2012, let alone in 2013 or 2014. Before the uncapped year, that was very easy information to find.

So, yes, maybe (notice I wrote "maybe") whereas they had $5M to spend on Hawk they won't have $7M to spend on Finley because they would rather have it for Jennings, or Rodgers, or Raji or Matthews, or to use part of it for several of Wells and/or Lang and/or Shields, and/or Masthay.

At some point in the not too distant future it is very likely that the Packers will have to let good and valuable players leave because they won't be able to pay them all. They might have to decide within their roster makeup if the top TE has more value to the team than a starting guard and the punter, for example.

Letting Jenkins go was just the start of what might happen more frequently and with even younger players, those becoming FAs for the first time.

Brandon494
10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for not posting why you think Hawk is more vauable then Finley, I think my head would have exploded.

Patler
10-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for not posting why you think Hawk is more vauable then Finley, I think my head would have exploded.

Well, if THAT'S what will happen....I will get right on it! :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
The passing game IS almost the sole reason we are 7-0. Run offense, run defense, pass defense, and special teams have all been right around average. Yet we are 7-0. Maybe Thompson knows that's where the wise money goes. We keep the passing game as is, and we try to hit some home runs in the draft in other areas.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
With all due respect, whether Finley is expendable or not does not depend at all on whether another TE on the roster has similar talent. It is clear that they do not. Finley's expendability depends entirely on TT and MM determining which is more valuable to overall team performance and long term projections:

The passing game options of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Starks, Driver or another WR and the remaining TEs plus $5-7 million to spend elsewhere on the team; or

The same passing game options plus Finley, and $5-7 million less to spend elsewhere on the team.

The passing game will change without Finley, for sure, but will any change in effectiveness be offset by benefits achieved from the use of that money elsewhere? It's a lot like money available for capital improvements without unlimited funds for all the improvements. Which is the greater need?

Actually, would greater need cover it or would Thompson's approach look more like he valued a higher return on his investment?

In my opinion, its clear now, with the drafting of Raji over Crabtree and the trade back into the first round for Matthews (maybe even drafting of Harrell over Revis, wasn't it), that Thompson is capable of drafting for need over BPA. So I doubt his decision-making is as one dimensional as his media coverage often makes it out to be.

But I think he would want a decent ROI rather than the more cash, though that is not to say the budget on Finley is unlimited.

denverYooper
10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
From Demovsky's Tweets:

#Packers TE @JermichaelF88 on his future: "I want to stay here no doubt. This is a town, a team, organization, you couldn’t ask for more."

Finley said he doesn't know where contract talks stand with the #Packers but hopes something gets done.

Finley on the possibility the #Packers tag him: "If they do that, I'm down with that. I ain't going to be pissed off. I just love the game."

Smidgeon
10-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Actually, would greater need cover it or would Thompson's approach look more like he valued a higher return on his investment?

In my opinion, its clear now, with the drafting of Raji over Crabtree and the trade back into the first round for Matthews (maybe even drafting of Harrell over Revis, wasn't it), that Thompson is capable of drafting for need over BPA. So I doubt his decision-making is as one dimensional as his media coverage often makes it out to be.

But I think he would want a decent ROI rather than the more cash, though that is not to say the budget on Finley is unlimited.

Revis was drafted 14th and Harrell 16th.

denverYooper
10-31-2011, 04:29 PM
"Finley Wants to Stay a Packer for Life"

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/10/31/11/Finley-wants-to-stay-a-Packer-for-life/landing_packers.html?blockID=593580&feedID=5196

Brandon494
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
"Finley Wants to Stay a Packer for Life"

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/10/31/11/Finley-wants-to-stay-a-Packer-for-life/landing_packers.html?blockID=593580&feedID=5196

Good find, after reading that I think its a lock hes not going anywhere. Like most players who come to play for the Pack the town of Green Bay has seemed to grow on him.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Revis was drafted 14th and Harrell 16th.

Quite right, and now reminded, I do remember the story that the Packers needed to do something else once he left the board. So that may not have been the best example. But as his rebuilding project has moved along, I have become convinced that Ted is not married unalterably to BPA and think the defense drafted for Dom in 2009's first two picks demonstrates that.

mission
10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Good find, after reading that I think its a lock hes not going anywhere. Like most players who come to play for the Pack the town of Green Bay has seemed to grow on him.

Quite the opposite of what so many people have been saying about 88, like they know him. "He's going to break the bank"... I think it's really up to the Packers and there's no way he's not back next year. Rodgers has to have a lot to do with it too. Finley wants to win.

They aren't in a rush to sign him... maybe even keeping his production down a bit to make him affordable, but something will happen. :tinfoilhat:

Brandon494
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
The guy isn't the smartest and doesn't really know how to handle the media so fans misunderstand him for being a "me first" player. Hes also matured a lot since being drafted by Green Bay, remember he was only a RS sophomore when he came out.

ThunderDan
10-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Hes also matured a lot since being drafted by Green Bay, remember he was only a RS sophomore when he came out.

Making babies and taking care of his family. If Finley had stayed an extra year in college, who knows for sure, he probably is a 1st round pick if not top 10.