PDA

View Full Version : Alex Green done for year

denverYooper
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Per MM's presser. He's got to have knee surgery.

denverYooper
10-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Greg Jennings has a bruised hand but it should be ok.

hoosier
10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Alex Green --> Quinn Johnson?

Fritz
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Does it ever end with this team?

sheepshead
10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Alex Green --> Quinn Johnson?

Oh Geez. I happen to be at the game. It didnt look good at all. This really sucks for this kid

Guiness
10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately we didn't get to see much of him - 3 attempts for 11 yards.

He didn't appear in the box score, and I don't remember seeing him on the screen. I assume he got hurt on an ST play?

pittstang5
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
So are they going to lose a player or have a sigficant injury in every game this year. Seems like a trend.

pittstang5
10-24-2011, 04:16 PM

He didn't appear in the box score, and I don't remember seeing him on the screen. I assume he got hurt on an ST play?

Yes, very early...might have been the opening kickoff.

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
jeez. the lions have lost 2 running backs. I imagine it is slim pickings out there. I guess it is time to bring Nance back.

pbmax
10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
OK. Time for everyone to repent for enjoying McCarthy's first couple of relatively injury free years too much.

sheepshead
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Yep right in front of me. Then he was on the meat cart within minutes.

gbgary
10-24-2011, 06:31 PM
dammit. feel bad for mr. green.

Lurker64
10-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Too bad for him, but he really missed out due to the lockout because you almost couldn't play him because he didn't know the offense. Hopefully while he rehabs his knee, he can learn what he missed in the OTAs that never happened.

I wonder which back we bring back: Saine or Nance.

MJZiggy
10-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Is there an RB on the practice squad? I thought we had one, or did he get poached?

gbgary
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Too bad for him, but he really missed out due to the lockout because you almost couldn't play him because he didn't know the offense. Hopefully while he rehabs his knee, he can learn what he missed in the OTAs that never happened.

the preseason is a blur but didn't saine do pretty good?

mission
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Does it ever end with this team?

I know it sucks, but maybe our perspective is a bit skewed on this. Seems like a lot of teams have had to deal with crushing injury losses this year more than most. We've had some bad ones (Collins) and less-impactful losses like Green. No injury is good obviously but you know what I'm saying.

mission
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Not awesome but a lot better than anyone thought.

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Is there an RB on the practice squad? I thought we had one, or did he get poached?

Brandon Saine is on the practice squad.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
It's not like we were ever gonna play him anyway, so I don't see this as a big loss.

Joemailman
10-24-2011, 07:30 PM
The decision on who to replace Green with will probably be based more on special teams needs than offensive needs. In other words, we have no idea.

Guiness
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
It's not like we were ever gonna play him anyway, so I don't see this as a big loss.

Well, he wasn't going to get any carries, but was he an ST contributor?

channtheman
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Well, he wasn't going to get any carries, but was he an ST contributor?

He was active on Sunday, but if I'm not mistaken he wasn't active for most of the games this year.

Brohm
10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
:( Damn

Green wasn't a starter (yet) but knee injuries and RB's are no good. Hope he makes a full recovery. Lots of starters missing time this year with injuries: Collins (IR), Clifton, Neal, Zombo. Hopefully we've reached our fair share for the year 0.o

Guiness
10-24-2011, 09:09 PM
The decision on who to replace Green with will probably be based more on special teams needs than offensive needs. In other words, we have no idea.

I know, I know! A TE!!! :lol:

Lurker64
10-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Both Nance and Saine did well enough in the preseason that you'd consider bringing them back. Saine's on the PS, Nance is on his couch. Saine displayed some very good hands in the Preseason, and both were solid blockers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
That sucks, he could have been a weapon later in the year.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I realize the potential Green has guys, but come on, we're 7-0 with our offense lighting it up and Green hasn't seen the field all year save for like 3 carries I think someone said? Green is on IR and nothing of value is lost.

King Friday
10-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I liked Seine in preseason...he ran the ball hard. Wouldn't mind taking a look at him in mop up duty.

Lurker64
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
I think they might be better suited to filling Green's roster spot with a fourth safety, instead of a fourth running back. As long as Burnett has to wear that club, the deep secondary is kind of problematic.

It's not like Green was really getting touches as a traditional running back anyway, he was mostly inactive and played special teams.

Bretsky
10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
gotta agree; honestly Burnett is playing great for only have one hand to work with. But I'd also take more help there

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM

what happens if grant or sparks get hurt?

Green might have been a capable runner yet this year. Nance or Saine, doubtful.

channtheman
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
what happens if grant or sparks get hurt?

Green might have been a capable runner yet this year. Nance or Saine, doubtful.

If we're lucky, Sparks will be the one to get hurt. Then we still have Grant and Starks to carry the load. ;)

We can start saying "what if" all day long. What if Matt Flynn or Rodgers get hurt? Our 3rd QB (do we have one?) is not set to run this offense. I'm not worried at all about losing Green. It's seriously like losing number 53 on your roster. I don't even know who that is and he rarely ever plays.

Harlan Huckleby
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Running backs get hurt quite regularly.

Green was quality depth. This is like losing Newhouse or Bush.

woodbuck27
10-24-2011, 11:19 PM

or someone else.

Ahman Green was up here early in the Pre season trying it with OUR Montreal Alouettes. He was out of the TC very early it seemed to me. I thought maybe he had a shot elsewhere and so left TC. The Alouettes are looking for their 3rd straight Grey Cup this season.
They seem to be back on track too and their QB Anthony Calvillo will son eclipse the ALLTIME Passing mark set by Damon Allen for career total yards passing.He,s own every significant passing record then. He's a dandy. A great field General as well and smart, smart, really smart.

I always loved this Pic of Ahman Green:

http://nflbook.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/green1.jpg

1995-1998 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Pro Career:

NFL DRAFT 76th pick 1998 for the
Seattle Seahawks

1998-1999 - Seattle
2000-2006 - Green Bay
2007-2008 Houston
2009 - Green Bay
2010 Omaha Nighthawks
2011 les Alouettes de Montréal

Pro Bowl 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

GO PACK GO!

CaliforniaCheez
10-24-2011, 11:28 PM
It could be very Ted Thompson like to bring back Quinn Johnson (he is available). Kuhn is the 3rd RB.

woodbuck27
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Damn . We're falling like house flys in November.

Lurker64
10-24-2011, 11:40 PM
It could be very Ted Thompson like to bring back Quinn Johnson (he is available). Kuhn is the 3rd RB.

Since McCarthy has been using TEs as extra fullbacks (Crabtree is the 2nd FB in the inverted wishbone) I don't think he would bring in another back who is just a blocker.

mmmdk
10-25-2011, 12:56 AM
gotta agree; honestly Burnett is playing great for only have one hand to work with. But I'd also take more help there

I hear he's got a third leg though...:rs:

mmmdk
10-25-2011, 12:58 AM
That sucks, he could have been a weapon later in the year.

Yup, it sucks! But injuries win championships!

pbmax
10-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Green was active for 4 games and on the coverage units.

smuggler
10-25-2011, 07:53 AM
ST play aside, I would prefer to have Saine. He looks like a 3dRB candidate. Can he block?

Gunakor
10-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Since McCarthy has been using TEs as extra fullbacks (Crabtree is the 2nd FB in the inverted wishbone) I don't think he would bring in another back who is just a blocker.

Not with both Grant and Starks healthy. But if we were ever in a situation where Kuhn would be called upon regularly, like last year, I doubt they'd use Crabtree as his full time lead blocker. If either Grant or Starks gets hurt for any length of time I could see QJ getting another shot here.

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I realize the potential Green has guys, but come on, we're 7-0 with our offense lighting it up and Green hasn't seen the field all year save for like 3 carries I think someone said? Green is on IR and nothing of value is lost.

Agree. Not a big deal really.

denverYooper
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Johnson now plays for the Broncos.

gbgary
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Not awesome but a lot better than anyone thought.

Both Nance and Saine did well enough in the preseason that you'd consider bringing them back. Saine's on the PS, Nance is on his couch. Saine displayed some very good hands in the Preseason, and both were solid blockers.

cool. thanks!

HarveyWallbangers
10-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I thought Saine looked pretty good in the preseason. Bringing up Saine is the Packers way (draft/sign and develop).

denverYooper
10-25-2011, 10:34 AM
I thought Saine looked pretty good in the preseason. Bringing up Saine is the Packers way (draft/sign and develop).

I thought he looked a little like Hendo.

rbaloha1
10-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Unfortunate. Expect AG to rehab nicely and return next season ready to play.

Saine looked good in preseason and should provide adequate spot duty.

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I bet TT brings in a player that nobody has heard of. He might even make a trade.

Some think Green isn't a big loss because he hasn't played much. Last year should teach you the value of quality depth. One of our running backs is bound to go down for a period, and we need two. Green could step in, and after some work, has a good chance of being as good as what we got now.

Flynn likely won't play a down this season, but if he gets struck by lightening, the team is weakened.

channtheman
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
I bet TT brings in a player that nobody has heard of. He might even make a trade.

Some think Green isn't a big loss because he hasn't played much. Last year should teach you the value of quality depth. One of our running backs is bound to go down for a period, and we need two. Green could step in, and after some work, has a good chance of being as good as what we got now.

Flynn likely won't play a down this season, but if he gets struck by lightening, the team is weakened.

And it should also teach you that depth at running back on this team is not that important. We rolled through the regular season with B Jack and Kuhn as our starters last year. I think we'll be fine if we have Grant/Starks and someone else (assuming Grant or Starks miss multiple games). In the playoffs, we had one running back (Starks). So unless both Grant and Starks get hurt, you'll forget that Green is even on IR. And if our top 2 RB's both get hurt, then it isn't like it really matters anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Starks emergence last season was critical to the late season success of the team. We were NOT OK with BJ & Kuhns.

Green is a big loss to the overall strength of the team, he's not just an end-of-roster special teamer.

Maybe TT can find a player capable of being a starter, that's a tall order though.

Brandon494
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
TT is not bringing in a new name, Saine will be the guy to replace him.

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM
TT is not bringing in a new name, Saine will be the guy to replace him.
For a backup running back, it is not critical that they know the offense right away. And there is the bye week.

There are a lot of running backs on practice squads around the league, what are odds that Saine is very best? There are a lot of third and fourth string backs on other rosters that TT may have a fondness for. You may be right that Saine gets the nod, but it is far from a sure thing.

Freak Out
10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Has Justin Harrell been put on suicide watch yet? Where is he?

Harlan Huckleby
10-25-2011, 01:09 PM
He's living with his family in a cabin in Tennessee, no kidding, with millions of dollars in the bank. Life is good.

Maybe he'll even shoot his shotgun into the ground and discover oil, move to beverly hills.

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
He's living with his family in a cabin in Tennessee, no kidding, with millions of dollars in the bank. Life is good.

Maybe he'll even shoot his shotgun into the ground and discover oil, move to beverly hills.

I believe he was referring to the poster, not the player. JustinHarrell was touting that Green was the RBOTF for the Packers and a future star.

channtheman
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Starks emergence last season was critical to the late season success of the team. We were NOT OK with BJ & Kuhns.

Green is a big loss to the overall strength of the team, he's not just an end-of-roster special teamer.

Maybe TT can find a player capable of being a starter, that's a tall order though.

Yes and your argument is that we are going to be in a big bind if just ONE of our current starting caliber RB's gets hurt. We did okay with just ONE in the playoffs last year.

I'll add, maybe in the future Green will make an impact on this team, but where is your proof that he has been anything but a special teamer this year? I think pb said he was active for 4 games and inactive for 3. So, THIS year, this loss is negligible. Really.

Bossman641
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
I was really hoping Green could provide a spark to the running game late in the year, but overall this isn’t a huge loss as long as Grant and Starks stay healthy.

On the bright side, at least MM and Rodgers will have a new toy to work into the offense next year.

RashanGary
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

mraynrand
10-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I bet we could get Gregg Lumpkin back for a #2

mraynrand
10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Green was active for 4 games and on the coverage units.

Once again, injuries and a youthful roster will likely make Slocum a bad ST coach.

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Not unless you have a time machine, trade deadline was last week.

Old School
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Nance worked out for the Falcons yesterday. If memory serves, I believe we got him from them to begin with.

Pugger
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

There is a Brandon Saine on the PS right now.

Pugger
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I think they might be better suited to filling Green's roster spot with a fourth safety, instead of a fourth running back. As long as Burnett has to wear that club, the deep secondary is kind of problematic.

It's not like Green was really getting touches as a traditional running back anyway, he was mostly inactive and played special teams.

Or maybe bring up Jonny Jones to give our D linemen a breather?

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes and your argument is that we are going to be in a big bind if just ONE of our current starting caliber RB's gets hurt. We did okay with just ONE in the playoffs last year.

I'll add, maybe in the future Green will make an impact on this team, but where is your proof that he has been anything but a special teamer this year? I think pb said he was active for 4 games and inactive for 3. So, THIS year, this loss is negligible. Really.

If Starks gets hurt, we're screwed. Just my opinion. i think Grant would get pulverized down to dog-doo if we needed him to carry load late in season when running game really matters. Maybe team would keep winning, not sure, but definitely a crippled version of pack.

I think Green was just as important as the top backup in every other position group.

Even though the Pack have best team in league, they are really not that much better than N.O., N.E.

Harlan Huckleby
10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I bet we could get Gregg Lumpkin back for a #2Lumpkin looked positively horrible in Tampa's game Sunday. And not just because team was getting overrun.

I have a hunch Saine will not be promoted from practice squad. TT has something up his sleeve. The odds of any particular scrub being the king of scrubs are small.

woodbuck27
10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Or maybe bring up Jonny Jones to give our D linemen a breather?

Here's ............. Johnny !

mraynrand
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM

It appears two people took me seriously!

I am aghast!

I need to hire new writers.

woodbuck27
10-26-2011, 01:36 PM
It appears two people took me seriously!

I am aghast!

I need to hire new writers.

Finally your out of the CLOSET. A PackerRat 'OWNER' reveals himself.

Actually 'in a way', we all own this forum; and should post as if we do.

PACKERS FOREVER !