PDA

View Full Version : Safety Marquand Manuel - Back On The Field

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Training Camp Report: Manuel Back On The Field

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com

08/14/2006

Starting safety Marquand Manuel's nagging calf injury finally healed enough to allow him to hit the practice field Monday for the first time in camp, and the timing of his return couldn't have been better.

Head Coach Mike McCarthy confirmed that fellow safety Marviel Underwood is out for the season with the knee injury suffered on the defense's opening series at San Diego on Saturday. Surgery will be scheduled soon.

Underwood had been taking Manuel's spot with the No. 1 defense with Manuel getting two weeks of what are often called "mental reps," going through every play and defensive call in his head on the sideline.

"I've been getting a pretty good feel," said Manuel, who wore a black rubber sleeve on his troublesome right calf and iced it after practice. "Being an older player, you just need to know where you need to be. I think that's really the key, and now the guys are starting to trust me."

Manuel, a free-agent acquisition from the NFC champion Seattle Seahawks, hated missing practice. But staying mentally involved on the sideline helped him get on the field as a rookie sixth-round draft choice in 2002 with Cincinnati, so he understood the benefits and never let his frustration interfere with his focus on learning the Packers' defensive scheme.

"Playing the calls when I was on the sideline -- getting back in there my depth might not be the same or I might not react as fast -- but it kept me sharp and in tune with what was going on," he said.

Secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said the most important thing for Manuel is developing communication with fellow safety Nick Collins and the cornerbacks so the entire secondary can operate smoothly. But he's not expecting there to be a lengthy transition period with a veteran of Manuel's ability.

"He's a very smart player and he understands good communication, the importance of it," Schottenheimer said. "He's a great talker out there. He's always going to let you know down-and-distance, let you know the personnel. He's going to anticipate different plays based on formations and that kind of thing."

GO PACKERS ! FAITH !!

pbmax
08-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Good news. Lets hope it translates onto the field shortly.

BlueBrewer
08-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Did Roman land anywhere yet?

Packnut
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Good news. Lets hope it translates onto the field shortly.

I think this guy will help a lot. I would expect we won't see anymore blown coverages with him on the field.

Astonishment
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Manuel being back will be a big boost - mainly for Collins, and the line backers in coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
08-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Roman signed with San Fran.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Well why did it take Underwood getting hurt for Manuel to grace Clarke Hinkle Field with his presence? well the either way the timing is fantastic.

Cheesehead Craig
08-15-2006, 11:22 AM
It's great he's back. I liked the signing originally and I still like it. He'll be leaps and bounds better then Roman.