PDA

View Full Version : 2012 draft thread

red
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
well, its getting close to that time, so why not look ahead?

we'll be picking near or at the very end of every round

honestly, with our d looking so suspect, old and injured, i wouldn't mind seeing us use every single pick on the defense. except maybe one or two picks in the middle or end for o-line help

we need a pass rush. we need help on the d-line, and we have to get another threat opposite clay.

we need more cb's. bush as our nickle cb sucks hard. he's improved his play from fucking pathetic, to below average. we need to still find a future #2 cb to play with t-will. i don't know if shields can be that guy or if he's just a nickle. behind the top 3 cb's we have a bunch of nothing

it would be nice to look for another stud to pair with burnett in case collins career is over. we may not know for sure if he can ever play again by draft time. you can find good safties in rounds 2 through 4

anyone got their eyes on anyone. and no, i don't just want a list of wisconsin players

sheepshead
10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
seriously?

channtheman
10-25-2011, 12:40 PM
seriously?

It IS bye week. ;)

Brandon494
10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
seriously?

+1

mmmdk
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Picking at the # 32 spot is the goal. :pack:

red
10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
sure why not? its not like we have an insane amount of awesome threads on here anymore

now is the time to start looking ahead to the guys in the upcoming draft. you can actually watch them play real games, so you aren't just relying on combine numbers when the draft rolls around

Cheesehead Craig
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
sure why not? its not like we have an insane amount of awesome threads on here anymore

True. Ever since the Brett Favre threads went away it isn't as much fun.

Such is the life of a forum of the defending Super Bowl champs who are undefeated.

sharpe1027
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Bush has turned into a pretty good 4th DB (good ST, and versatile enough to play nickel or safety in a pinch). That being said, I can't see him ever being a starter.

Chase Minnifield from Virginia might be a possibility in the first round. He's tall enough (listed at 6' even) for TT and seems to be a good character guy.

Still, TT has not had much luck drafting DBs, so I'd guess he goes for a LBer or DT with the first pick.

Smidgeon
10-25-2011, 03:09 PM

we'll be picking [DELETED] at the very end of every round

honestly, with our d looking so suspect, old and injured, i wouldn't mind seeing us use every single pick on the defense. except maybe one or two picks in the middle or end for o-line help

we need a pass rush. we need help on the d-line, and we have to get another threat opposite clay. Agreed, although the committee had a significant amount of sacks last year...

we need more cb's. bush as our nickle cb sucks hard. he's improved his play from fucking pathetic, to below average. we need to still find a future #2 cb to play with t-will. i don't know if shields can be that guy or if he's just a nickle. behind the top 3 cb's we have a bunch of nothing Davon House

it would be nice to look for another stud to pair with burnett in case collins career is over. we may not know for sure if he can ever play again by draft time. you can find good safties in rounds 2 through 4 MD Jennings

anyone got their eyes on anyone. and no, i don't just want a list of wisconsin players

See above.

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Guys who have impressed me this year that would help the Packers and could conceivably be available at #32.

Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama.
Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
David DeCastro, OG (OC?), Stanford

PoohToes
10-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Definitely don't see Upshaw available at the end of the 1st round. Upshaw is a top 15 pick easy in my opinion. Safety Mark Barron is the Bama player I would keep an eye on as a Packer fan. If you're looking at a good OLB mainstay opposite Clay Matthews, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Chase Thomas at Stanford. Otherwise it's a pretty shallow pool of OLBs this year.

If you're looking for a late 1st round corner, I'd look at Casey Hayward out of Vanderbilt... ball hawking type with decent size and great athleticism.

Billy Winn is a great DE... no idea why his draft stock is predicted between the 2nd or 3rd round. He really strikes me as the Sean Weatherspoon type of pick that Atlanta made a couple years ago... very consistent performer, great player and teammate, kinda overlooked come draft time. But I think that Winn, much like Weatherspoon, will become a big name in the years to follow his draft pick.

No idea which way the Packers might go... I would think it more important to build up the secondary with a strong 1st round pick, but you guys may see other needs to be filled than I do.

How crazy would it be if they selected Montee Ball?

hoosier
10-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Guys who have impressed me this year that would help the Packers and could conceivably be available at #32.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 04:50 PM
How crazy would it be if they selected Montee Ball?

It's almost entirely unthinkable. In the last 20 years, the Packers have selected only three players who played football for Wisconsin: Bill Ferrario (OG, 4th, 2001), Mark Tausher (OT, 7th, 2000), and Don Davey (DE, 3rd, 1991).

But if Ball is there in the third, maybe.

MJZiggy
10-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.
I heard those chicks who play in their undies are pretty good. Maybe one of 'em is named Jane.

woodbuck27
10-25-2011, 06:21 PM

we'll be picking near or at the very end of every round

we need a pass rush. we need help on the d-line, and we have to get another threat opposite clay.

we need more cb's. bush as our nickle cb sucks hard. he's improved his play from fucking pathetic, to below average. we need to still find a future #2 cb to play with t-will. i don't know if shields can be that guy or if he's just a nickle. behind the top 3 cb's we have a bunch of nothing

it would be nice to look for another stud to pair with burnett in case collins career is over. we may not know for sure if he can ever play again by draft time. you can find good safties in rounds 2 through 4

You won't dance but I'm with you in this one Red. My post in the Bye week Stat's thread:

Looking at those STAT's and thinking of OUR future:

OK. Impressive Offensive stats after seven games and if this trend continues we need to bolster our team on the lines (LT Chad Clifton can't last forever and he's injured now).

Overall on 'D' with the exception being our secondary that's holding up well inspite of serious injuries. On that note. An NFL team cannot have enough sold CB's. If we loose Nick Collins that's really bad.

It seems to me that we need something to give us a better pass rush and since Ahman Green departed OUR Running game is not consistent.

GO PACKERS!

mission
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I want South Carolina's Melvin Ingram at all costs. Forces fumbles, sacks QBs, runs fake punts for 70 yards and can throw a football (supposedly) farther than anyone on the team. One of the best football players in the country. I put him right up there with LSU's Tyrann Mathieu, who, by the way, would be my number one choice but that would never come close to happening.

Dude is awesome.

Joemailman
10-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
David DeCastro, OG (OC?), Stanford

Winn could be a real possibility if they decide that Neal is a lost cause.

Lurker64
10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Even if they don't give up on Neal, you do have five DL active on game days, Pickett isn't going to play forever, Green is probably gone after this year, and Winn is probably better than Wilson and Wynn.

Though if we could line up Winn and Wynn on the same DL...

woodbuck27
10-25-2011, 06:46 PM
True. Ever since the Brett Favre threads went away it isn't as much fun.

Such is the life of a forum of the defending Super Bowl champs who are undefeated.

Ever since the Brett Favre threads went away it isn't as much fun. Cheesehead Craig

Yup. That was a real RIOT. Frick ! (-:

woodbuck27
10-25-2011, 06:47 PM

I'd fall off my horse if TT selected a decent DE.

PACKERS !

PoohToes
10-26-2011, 01:32 AM
I want South Carolina's Melvin Ingram at all costs. Forces fumbles, sacks QBs, runs fake punts for 70 yards and can throw a football (supposedly) farther than anyone on the team. One of the best football players in the country. I put him right up there with LSU's Tyrann Mathieu, who, by the way, would be my number one choice but that would never come close to happening.

Dude is awesome.

Yep, Melvin Ingram is something else... it's insane how athletic he is for his size. He's far and away better than Devin Taylor in my opinion. South Carolina also has a true freshman named Jadeveon Clowney who is starting and playing like a junior or senior... kid was the #1 overall recruit for this past recruiting class and he is going to be something ridiculous by the time he's ready for the draft. He's already eating everyone's lunch.

Upnorth
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
My thoughts on position priority are DE, S, OLB, CB, C, QB
I have no problem if TT packages picks to move up and grab a DE like we did with CMIII. Also if Collins comes back S is not a need, I just don't expect him to come back but I pray he does.

woodbuck27
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Dude is awesome.

Never a bad time to look to the new blood for OUR Team.

South Carolina's Melvin Ingram. Checking him out ! THANKS.

PACKERS ! FOREVER !!

woodbuck27
10-26-2011, 01:02 PM
My thoughts on position priority are DE, S, OLB, CB, C, QB
I have no problem if TT packages picks to move up and grab a DE like we did with CMIII. Also if Collins comes back S is not a need, I just don't expect him to come back but I pray he does.

Good. DE but it won't happen (-:.

Maybe TT and Scouting Dept. first looks at another LT. Yup on Nick Collins and need at safety; but always look for a solid LT (Chad Clifton?)or CB (especially given that the NFL is so pass happy and Charles Woodson cannot go on forever).

Yes RE: a backup QB and is development within OUR Program. Certainly not a high priority unless an outstanding candidate is just sitting there.

PACKERS FOREVER !

Lurker64
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Dude is awesome.

The thing about Ingram is I don't know where he'd play in this defense, other than "inside, in the nickel." Since he's about 6-2, 276. That's kind of small to play on the line, and kind of big to play in space. He just seems like a better fit in an even front.

woodbuck27
10-26-2011, 01:48 PM
The thing about Ingram is I don't know where he'd play in this defense, other than "inside, in the nickel." Since he's about 6-2, 276. That's kind of small to play on the line, and kind of big to play in space. He just seems like a better fit in an even front.

Boy ohh boy! I pay attention to your draft knowledge Lurker64.

PACKERS FOREVER!

MadScientist
10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
TT will definitely look to shore up DE in an early round if possible regardless of Neal's status, unless Wynn and Wilson start looking really good. He may go for a NT type as well because Pickett and Green are getting old (I really hate writing that about people who are in their early thirties). OLB if he can get a really good one. CB priority will depend on how they see House panning out, although they will take one if he's BPA. Similarly safety priority will depend on how Jennings is coming along, more than Collins' recovery.

Guiness
10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
QB has to be a higher priority, as shown by Indi's current situation.

I don't expect Flynn back, and there's no one behind him. I don't want Kerry Collins et al showing up here, and TT has shown that he's willing to go with a young unproven guy at that position.

Is Graham Harrell still hanging around? On the ps?

Lurker64
10-26-2011, 04:11 PM
I would expect Ted to pick up a backup QB as early as round 2, if there's somebody he likes. He's demonstrated in the past that he's willing to roll with a rookie backup (the year he drafted Brohm and Flynn), but I also wouldn't be surprised if he signs a vet backup.

I just don't have a good handle on the middle tiers of the QB class. Everybody knows exactly what the top tier looks like, and we're pretty sure who the fourth guy to be picked will be (Robert Griffin III, from Baylor, if he declares) but past that? We need the rest of the season and probably the entire pre-draft process. Can you turn Case Keenum or Kellen Moore into an NFL player?

Joemailman
10-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't see much college FB until bowl season, but is Aaron Henry a player? Maybe as a 3rd round pick? Seems about the size of player that TT likes at S.

Partial
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Montee Ball is a junior so there is a zero percent chance of the Packers picking him. He's not coming out.

I don't think Henry is that good but maybe he doesn't stand out because he's a safety. Fenelus is a great college player but won't do anything in the NFL.

wootah
10-27-2011, 02:16 AM
Is Graham Harrell still hanging around? On the ps?

The Packers are paying practice squad QB Graham Harrell $12,500 per week, which is more than double the practice squad minimum of $5,700 per week. Harrell was surprisingly waived earlier this month after being touted by HC Mike McCarthy as the Packers' potential backup quarterback of the future during training camp. That huge salary makes it clear, however, that Green Bay is still hoping Harrell can step in behind Aaron Rodgers in 2012 with current backup Matt Flynn likely to depart via free agency next offseason.

link (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5209/graham-harrell)

Smeefers
10-27-2011, 08:08 AM

now is the time to start looking ahead to the guys in the upcoming draft. you can actually watch them play real games, so you aren't just relying on combine numbers when the draft rolls around

Awww! I like just reading like, 3 scouting reports, then pouring over what you fine young gentlemen say, then of course say "offensive line." More likely, TT is going to trade away his 1st rounder for an early 2nd rounder. I'm guessing then we're either going to get a WR or a TE.

smuggler
10-28-2011, 01:09 PM
LOL if we draft a WR or a TE

gbpackfan
10-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Something, anything to improve the pass rush!

pbmax
10-28-2011, 01:29 PM
LOL if we draft a WR or a TE

We are really down on our FB allotment.

sheepshead
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't think the guys that will be drafted are thinking about the draft yet.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think the guys that will be drafted are thinking about the draft yet.

Ahh, no.

Many eligible for the DRAFT are thinking ahead BIG TIME to playing in the NFL.

PACKERS FOREVER.

red
10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
some great names i get to try and look for

thanks guys