PDA

View Full Version : Apple

Partial
10-27-2011, 09:14 AM
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/27/hell-freezes-over-forrester-urges-it-to-support-the-mac/?source=yahoo_quote

Which makes the findings of the Forrester survey of 590 IT executives and decision makers that produced the chart above all the more surprising. "It's time to repeal prohibition and take decisive action," writes David Johnson in a new report made available to Fortune (and available for sale here). "Mac users are your HEROes and you should enable them not hinder them."
"HERO," it turns out, is a Forrester acronym for Highly Empowered and Resourceful Operatives -- "the 17% of information workers who use new technologies and find innovative ways to be more productive and serve customers more effectively."

Click to enlarge. Source: Forrester Research
"Most of the Macs today," writes Johnson, "are being freewheeled into the office by executives, top sales reps, and other workaholics. Forrester believes this is the same demographic that we're now calling the "power laptop user," and according to the latest Workforce Technology And Engagement Survey, power laptop users make 44% more money, use more collaboration apps, and carry an average of three devices wherever they go."

The report goes on to offer six steps IT departments can take to "ease Macs into their enterprises" and three case studies of companies that have done so successfully.
"Stand in the way," Forrester concludes, "and you will eventually get run over."
It's quite a turnaround for the voice of Windows in the enterprise.

Capitalism tends to pay people what they're worth. Apple users make more money. It can be extrapolated that Apple users are smarter, hard working, and productive than non-Apple users.

These power users are willing to pay for MacBooks Pros out of their own pocket, according to Forrester, because their company-supplied Microsoft (MSFT) Windows PCs:
Are slowing them down. Time is the only thing that these fierce competitors can't make more of. Many of today's corporate PCs are saddled with management, backup, and security agents that can bog down a PC. Employees want their PCs to boot in 10 seconds, not 10 minutes, and they don't want to have to get a cup of coffee while opening a 20 MB spreadsheet in Excel. They're drawn to uncluttered Macs — especially those with solid-state drives, which are more responsive and boot in seconds.
Look cheaply made. Image and personal brand are the currency of influence, and first impressions matter. For the same reason they wouldn't wear cheap shoes and a bolo tie to meet with Lloyd's of London to insure their cargo ships and cranes, these power brokers don't want to show up to a meeting with a plastic laptop that sends the subliminal message that they aren't prosperous enough to afford something nicer.

I agree. My PC is technically faster than my MBP, but it's not nearly as fast. Certainly not when it's running 10 year old Windows XP (grumble grumble). My application server on XP starts up 6x slower than it does on my Mac. Yes, 6x. On faster hardware. I start and stop this thing every time I make a code change, so at least 20 times a day during a development cycle. That's 10 minutes of start time on my Mac, but an hour on the XP machine.

I agree 100% on image. Some executives around here would probably be more successful if they cared more about how they project themselves.

Partial
10-27-2011, 09:20 AM
A study of price to earnings.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/26/bizzaro-valuations-amazon-pe-100-vs-apple-14/

Bizzaro valuations: Amazon (P/E = 100) vs. Apple (14)

Two different business models. Both growing rapidly, both (mostly) profitable. But at Tuesday's close, Apple's shares (at $397.77) were selling at 14.4 times trailing earnings and Amazon's ($227.15) were selling at 100.2.
Can someone tell me why?

I can. Because Apple is ridiculously undervalued right now. Amazon is also overvalued.

mraynrand
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank goodness: A new apple thread.

SkinBasket
10-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Can we ban Partial for this?

MJZiggy
10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm for it. Banning, that is.

Partial
10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Yeah buddy. I'm all about an Apple HDTV.

If they can deliver quality content at a price that will get me away from TW, that is. Dish Network was okay I guess when I had that.

This is such a good idea. The age of receivers and 10 remotes would come to an end.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/27/large-television-parts-spotted-in-apple’s-prototype-supply-chain/

I immediately began snooping around, asking Apple employees and people close to the company if a full fledged Apple Television was in the works. Several people, all speaking on condition of anonymity for obvious reasons, told me that nothing was actively being built, but — and this was a big but — I was told repeatedly that Apple would eventually make a television. “Absolutely, it is a guaranteed product for Apple,” I was told by one individual. “Steve thinks the industry is totally broken.”

It’s the stuff of science fiction. You sit on your couch and rather than fumble with several remotes or use hand gestures, you simply talk: “Put on the last episode of Gossip Girl.” “Play the local news headlines.” “Play some Coldplay music videos.” Siri does the rest. Of course this experience goes beyond just playing TV shows or the local news. As the line between television programming and Web content continues to erode, a Siri-powered television would become more necessary. You aren’t going to want to flip through file folders or baskets of content, checking off what you want. Telling Siri to “play videos of cute cats falling asleep” would return an endless YouTube stream of adorable napping fur balls.

Good old Apple's at it again completely re-imagining how tools should work.

Partial
10-28-2011, 09:57 AM
This is probably why the iPhone gets so much better battery life than Android phones.

The nation’s third-largest carrier, Sprint Nextel, yesterday reported third-quarter earnings and their CEO Dan Hesse opined “iPhone is worth every penny”. We learned they pay a 40 percent higher subsidy to Apple than the industry average, amounting to $200 more per device. In a conference call with analysts, Hesse said “iPhone users are likely to consume significantly less 3G than the typical user of a dual-mode 3G/4G device”, Barron’s reports. Was the iPhone’s 50 percent lower data consumption the reason why Sprint agreed to reportedly pay $20 billion for 30.5 million iPhone units?

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/27/iphone-4s-consuming-50-percent-less-data-than-android-3g4g-phones-sprint-says/

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2011, 10:21 AM
where is that highlarious video with the apple and the orange? boy we could use a good laugh here.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 10:27 AM
where is that highlarious video with the apple and the orange? boy we could use a good laugh here.

Yea great to see your 'on ahhgenda' Ehh!

Pork bellies and oranges today. Tah heck with high teck discussion. We need to eat well.

SkinBasket
10-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Just for Harlan, my best friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuE-5PlZPgU

woodbuck27
10-29-2011, 02:32 AM
CUPERTINO, Calif./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Steve Jobs, in pain and too weak to climb stairs a few weeks before his death, wanted his children to understand why he wasn't always there for them, according to the author of his highly anticipated biography.

Steve Jobs has passed away.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/steve-jobs/

CLICK LINK for this story.

woodbuck27
10-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Steve Jobs authorized biography so his kids can know him.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-co-founder-steve-jobs-dead-56-000022817.html

CUPERTINO, Calif./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters)

Steve Jobs, in pain and too weak to climb stairs a few weeks before his death, wanted his children to understand why he wasn't always there for them, according to the author of his highly anticipated biography.

"I wanted my kids to know me," Jobs was quoted as saying by Pulitzer Prize nominee Walter Isaacson, when he asked the Apple Inc co-founder why he authorized a tell-all biography after living a private, almost ascetic life.

"I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did," Jobs told Isaacson in their final interview at Jobs' home in Palo Alto, California.

red
10-29-2011, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4egf4X2pqE

SkinBasket
10-29-2011, 07:31 AM

NO SHIT?!?!

When did this happen?

Joemailman
10-29-2011, 08:48 AM
No wonder Partial had a meltdown.

MJZiggy
10-29-2011, 09:03 AM
NO SHIT?!?!

When did this happen?

The news coverage was so scarce, one could hardly blame you for not knowing...

Scott Campbell
10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
CUPERTINO, Calif./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Steve Jobs, in pain and too weak to climb stairs a few weeks before his death, wanted his children to understand why he wasn't always there for them, according to the author of his highly anticipated biography.

:lol:

And there's a rumor were closing in Bin Laden.

MJZiggy
10-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I've heard rumor that he's hiding at sea. It'll be hard to find him there.

mraynrand
10-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Hurricane Katrina is expected to make landfall within the hour. God help New Orleans.

Patler
10-29-2011, 02:55 PM
:lol:

And there's a rumor were closing in Bin Laden.

Sure they are. !:roll:
Next you will tell me that the Libyans have ousted/terminated Muammar Gaddafi!!

MJZiggy
10-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm going back to bed. All you rebel kids and your crazy ideas...

channtheman
10-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Did Sreve really die? I thought he was such a good family man, sounds like he was just a fucking asshole.

Joemailman
10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
http://freddyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Packers-win-the-Superbowl-XLV-SPL.jpg

red
10-29-2011, 06:11 PM
WHOOOHOOOO

BRETT'S GONNA PLAY THIS YEAR

we're super bowl bound for sure with this team. we can't be stopped with brett coming back and the additions of justin harrell and brandon jackson. hawk is gonna break out this year, you guys watch

FTW

Scott Campbell
10-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Don't forget to set your clocks back 3 months for Canadian daylight savings time.

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Is anybody paying attention?

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 05:35 AM
No wonder Partial had a meltdown.

Is everyone really paying attention. Fricken' amazing.

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Is anybody paying attention?

Yes, dear. Ninety eight percent of us are paying attention.

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 09:52 AM

What do we have here really MJZiggy? What approx 40 to 50 posters that make this a consistent site to visit? So according to your percentage and taking the higher number; and you would know that as well as the owner (s).

98% of 50 = 49 and 50-49 - 1 ( One )

So according to you only one poster is NOT paying attention. That one certainly isn't me. Who then is that one person? **

** MJ.... I suggest you to assess that and keep it to yourself.

In my honest view more than one poster isn't paying attention. Yet the more I look at a certain issue the more it becomes fricken' clear. There is nothing that will be done. So together we must survive; give up personal values. The justaposition is to suck it up or ignore it.

I've chosen the latter. It just made sense. Too bad so damn sad ! It's really 'just ' this:

PACKERS FOREVER !

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Why Steve Jobs never drove with license plates:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/why-steve-jobs-never-drove-license-plates-184059661.html

By Jordan Chittley ... Daily Buzz – Fri, 28 Oct, 2011....tweet4EmailPrint.....

Steve Jobs could easily be spotted driving around and people could identify his parked car because he never had license plates.Steve Wozniak suggested he had a special permit because he was trying to be anonymous and some outlets said he would just pay the fines if caught by police, but the true answer is not as exciting and far simpler.

CLICK on the LINK to find out please.

PACKERS FOREVER

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 10:10 AM

MJ this is a reasonably easy week in the Pro Pickem'. Be careful that you don't lose anymore ground on the two just ahead of you. It's beginning to open up betwen the top and below position three (YOU). Not a week to play it cute. That advice goes for any of the top six in that competition. I don't want to see a sudden spread at the very top as we had last season. That became a one horse race; not to take anything away from the Champ. He was outstanding in 2010 compared to any NFL fan or expert playing in that exciting NFL analysis measurement tool.

SkinBasket
10-30-2011, 02:55 PM

I'm paying attention, but I haven't a fucking clue as to what's happening.

channtheman
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Woodbuck, I like you, but what are you talking about?

red
10-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm paying attention, but I haven't a fucking clue as to what's happening.

+2

might be time for him to take that trip to the old folks home

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 03:59 PM
+2

Again?

Scott Campbell
10-30-2011, 07:26 PM
+2

Hit him with the sedative first.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
http://rmparchive.com/images/hosting/600Border/LC2299-600Border.jpg

Zool
10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
+2

He broke the hips of 6 old ladies with all the dancing. He's now allowed back.

Upnorth
11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
What do we have here really MJZiggy? What approx 40 to 50 posters that make this a consistent site to visit? So according to your percentage and taking the higher number; and you would know that as well as the owner (s).

98% of 50 = 49 and 50-49 - 1 ( One )

So according to you only one poster is NOT paying attention. That one certainly isn't me. Who then is that one person? **

** MJ.... I suggest you to assess that and keep it to yourself.

In my honest view more than one poster isn't paying attention. Yet the more I look at a certain issue the more it becomes fricken' clear. There is nothing that will be done. So together we must survive; give up personal values. The justaposition is to suck it up or ignore it.

I've chosen the latter. It just made sense. Too bad so damn sad ! It's really 'just ' this:

PACKERS FOREVER !

Sorry I wasn't paying attention, whats going on? Oh Canadian daylight savings time, yeah we dont have that in saskatchewan.

Freak Out
11-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Holy sheit this is some funny stuff.

Freak Out
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
MJ this is a reasonably easy week in the Pro Pickem'. Be careful that you don't lose anymore ground on the two just ahead of you. It's beginning to open up betwen the top and below position three (YOU). Not a week to play it cute. That advice goes for any of the top six in that competition. I don't want to see a sudden spread at the very top as we had last season. That became a one horse race; not to take anything away from the Champ. He was outstanding in 2010 compared to any NFL fan or expert playing in that exciting NFL analysis measurement tool.

The Freak is climbing fast my crazy Canadian friend. I can't wait to get my free Jesus loves me ring tone after my dominant season.

MJZiggy
11-02-2011, 07:58 PM
The Freak is climbing fast my crazy Canadian friend. I can't wait to get my free Jesus loves me ring tone after my dominant season.

If I keep sucking the way I have for the last two weeks, you should have an easy time of it.

woodbuck27
11-03-2011, 05:42 AM

Hey ' The Freak' I like your great attitude Packer fan. Go for it! Are you 'The Freak ' in OUR Pro Pickem? You don't need to comply with that question as sometimes it's an advantage to remain anonymous. The first season I was Champion and next changed my name to Hank Bosch. For the past three seasons I'm Bert Bosch. Bert Bosch and esoxx are both aiming to be the first time 'two time Champions'. MJZiggy is hanging tough and retailguy (always there) will be back I'm sure.

The rest of you posters have to reign us rabbits in. (-:

General comment RE: Our Pro Pickem'. I don't mean to re-direct the general topic raised by this thread.

This is my sixth season in this competiition. I always promote trying to maintain a top ten finish as a goal. I'll check to see if your entered under your PackerRat handle
' The Freak '. Again go for it and good luck man. We need a great competition and not allowing any competitor to run away from the rest of the pack. Last week was a sign that others in the competition have a response and that's pleasing to me as another thing I promote is that PackerRat posters are more than Packer fans.

That at PackerRats we have real football fans. That we're sound in our overall NFL knowledge and among the very BEST NFL fans. Year after year I've seen proof that's a fact.

Personally, I'm keen on the Pro Pickem, as it keeps me abreast of all NFL teams and their stuggle to compete. I'm seeing something alarming develop in the NFL this season. Every team in the league in both conferences has at least two loss's. The exception ' The Green Bay Packers'. As Packer fans we have to be very pleased with OUR team.

Question for anyone here?

What is going on in the NFL? When a team such as the St. Louis Cardinals can upset the NO Saints (wasn't that on the road as well?); do so convincinly! Is amazing to me.

That KC Chiefs defeat Vs the San Diego Chargers in for a visit cost me first place with esoxx. I lost my CP 13 ( Saints loss) and 12 (Chargers loss) last week. Who among all NFL teams will really step up to challenge us or wil our team regress or fall back with the rest as we face adversity (injurys and concerns there not properly addressed as there is no clear response available). What of the pool of really talented footbal players? The CAP may be the answer. hat in olace tends to usher i pariy but where are the truly elite teams.

Two weeks ago we saw the Jacksonville Jaguars defeat the Baltimore Ravens and did they have a first down the entire game? What is going on? I've been thinking for the past ten days, that I wanted to raise this topic of discussion in the football section of OUR forum. I will do that after submitting this post.

Maintain that right attitude The Freak. Great STUFF Packer fan.