PDA

View Full Version : Prep coach resigns after profane rant leaked on YouTube. Wooops !!

woodbuck27
10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Prep-coach-resigns-after-profane-rant-leaked-on-?urn=highschool-wp7695

Wed Oct 26 11:06am EDT

Prep coach resigns after profane rant leaked on YouTube

By: Cameron Smith

A profanity-laced pregame rant by a Tennessee high school football coach has cost him his job and stoked a controversy about what constitutes appropriate motivational language in school sports.

As reported by the Associated Press and Memphis Commercial Appeal, among other sources, Collierville (Tenn.) High football coach Shawn Abel resigned on Tuesday, two days after an aggressive, profane pregame speech he gave to his football team on Friday night was leaked as an audio file on YouTube. You can hear Abel's rant right here, though be warned, it contains a significant amount of offensive language.

[Related: Jim Harbaugh unapologetic after another run-in with coach]

CLICK on the LINK Please for the entire story.

PACKERS !

Guiness
10-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Read about that. Didn't watch the video, but it said it was pretty bad. High school coach cussing out the kids.

Of course, there is a movement to save his jobs, apparently 800 ppl signed up to a Facebook page supporting him. What a crock.

MJZiggy
10-27-2011, 09:55 PM
I guess how you view is going to depend on how you interpret language and what offends you. I'm not so easily offended, yet I don't think I'd be signing up to save the job of a man who motivates kids by cussing at them. More because I wouldn't want someone stupid enough to do something that any fool could see would cost him his job in a position of authority over my son.

Guiness
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Seems like one of the kids turned him in. In the article I read, he seemed most upset that 'the sanctity of the locker room' had been violated.

Thinking like that is what allows the Graham James' and Richard Turley's of the world to go undetected.

Gunakor
10-28-2011, 01:50 AM
A HS football coach isn't trying to prep his players for life after graduation when giving a pregame speech. He's trying to win a football game. Whatever motivates the players is fine on gameday IMO. No line was crossed.

Besides, does anybody believe that a coach giving a profanity laced pregame pep talk could possibly say anything to a high schooler that they haven't head beforehand? Like, earlier that day perhaps? And the day before? AND the day before that? EVERY DAY vulgar language is used by high school students themselves, so it's not a foreign concept to them. Talk about blowing something way out of proportion...

Brandon494
10-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Just another case of the pussification of America.

Tony Oday
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM

+1

Grow the fuck up kids you dont like it dont play football. My coach in school was MUCH worse than that. This is pathetic and I hope people kick the guys ass that posted it.

gbgary
10-28-2011, 09:16 AM
pathetic...the overreaction.

Scott Campbell
10-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Rex Ryan loved the speech.

Brandon494
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Vince Lombardi loved that speech

pbmax
10-28-2011, 09:34 AM
A HS football coach isn't trying to prep his players for life after graduation when giving a pregame speech. He's trying to win a football game. Whatever motivates the players is fine on gameday IMO. No line was crossed.

Besides, does anybody believe that a coach giving a profanity laced pregame pep talk could possibly say anything to a high schooler that they haven't head beforehand? Like, earlier that day perhaps? And the day before? AND the day before that? EVERY DAY vulgar language is used by high school students themselves, so it's not a foreign concept to them. Talk about blowing something way out of proportion...

So anything kids hear is fair game for use for the rest of their life? In any setting? By an authority figure? There is no higher standard?

Really?

The school and the community pay this guys salary. They get to decide if he stays or goes. 800 facebook likes might save him. But since he turned in his own resignation, that seems a hard deal to overturn.

Last thought, he seems not upset simply with his team's motivation for the game. He seems to think he has lost control of his team. Threatening to have kids from other schools arrested for trespassing seems an odd way to motivate a team to win, win, win. Does he really say, "Don't f***ing play golf!" or I not hearing that correctly?

Deputy Nutz
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
If you are going to go on a profanity laced speech to high school kids, no matter the fashion or the reason, why the hell are you going to record it? This blows my mind. Sure it is inappropriate, the profanity isn't needed and makes this coach seem uneducated, unable to expand his vocabulary past words that he learned on the playground 30 years ago. Sure these kids have all heard this type of language. I am sure they were uneffected by it, but if my son's or daughter's high school coach was recorded acting like this I would be a little pissed. I have coached high school athletes for the past 12 years and sure I cuss infront of the kids, I would be lying if I didn't admit it. We had some pretty funny bus rides that included some very colorful language, but I wasn't or never used swearing as a way to motivated kids, or to show how "manly" I am because I can cuss.

I had a high school coach that gave the most intense pregame speeches. When I was brought up to varsity as a Sophomore I just about pissed my pants I was so pumped up with emotion after hearing the guy speak. Sure he might have used a swear here and there but nothing that over the top, his speeches weren't filled with profanity. You can motivate without swearing.

Two things that most people don't realize about football, football coaches, football players, cans of snuff are as visible in a lockerrooms as rolls of athletic tape, and profanity is common. I went to a Catholic school and we swore more than any other school in our conference. Not proud of it, but I am not all that offended by it either.

Swearing around high school athletes is different than swearing at high school kids.

pbmax
10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Listened to him again and I think the troubling issue is not language at all. Its mild compared to some. But the message is that's a man who can't get his kids to do what he wished them to do. He has lost the team, or never had control to begin with.

I suspect that this isn't the first time round for this kind of rant. Which would explain why someone was ready to tape it.

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Listened to him again and I think the troubling issue is not language at all. Its mild compared to some. But the message is that's a man who can't get his kids to do what he wished them to do. He has lost the team, or never had control to begin with.

I suspect that this isn't the first time round for this kind of rant. Which would explain why someone was ready to tape it.

He's totally lost the team. I really don't think the kids had any respect for him and thus it drove him nuts and he went off the deep end.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I guess how you view is going to depend on how you interpret language and what offends you. I'm not so easily offended, yet I don't think I'd be signing up to save the job of a man who motivates kids by cussing at them. More because I wouldn't want someone stupid enough to do something that any fool could see would cost him his job in a position of authority over my son.

Yes. A coach is ala 'a teacher' yet, not in a formal school environment but with the similiar influence on the attitude of a child/teen. That man was in a privaleged position of influence. He totally lost it and had to be removed from that privalege.

PACKERS .... TWO STRAIGHT SUPER BOWLS.... Back to Back World Champs ...Again.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Seems like one of the kids turned him in. In the article I read, he seemed most upset that 'the sanctity of the locker room' had been violated.

Thinking like that is what allows the Graham James' and Richard Turley's of the world to go undetected.

Excellent assessment and comment Guiness.

Packers ! Packer fans, Fans 'in harmony' to support a REPEAT.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Point wel taken, Gunakor.

The counter argument; thus a debate may? begin. Through debate we all possibly learn something.

PACKERS in 2011 ! ... REPEAT !!

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 12:20 PM
If you are going to go on a profanity laced speech to high school kids, no matter the fashion or the reason, why the hell are you going to record it? This blows my mind. Sure it is inappropriate, the profanity isn't needed and makes this coach seem uneducated, unable to expand his vocabulary past words that he learned on the playground 30 years ago. Sure these kids have all heard this type of language. I am sure they were uneffected by it, but if my son's or daughter's high school coach was recorded acting like this I would be a little pissed. I have coached high school athletes for the past 12 years and sure I cuss infront of the kids, I would be lying if I didn't admit it. We had some pretty funny bus rides that included some very colorful language, but I wasn't or never used swearing as a way to motivated kids, or to show how "manly" I am because I can cuss.

I had a high school coach that gave the most intense pregame speeches. When I was brought up to varsity as a Sophomore I just about pissed my pants I was so pumped up with emotion after hearing the guy speak. Sure he might have used a swear here and there but nothing that over the top, his speeches weren't filled with profanity. You can motivate without swearing.

Two things that most people don't realize about football, football coaches, football players, cans of snuff are as visible in a lockerrooms as rolls of athletic tape, and profanity is common. I went to a Catholic school and we swore more than any other school in our conference. Not proud of it, but I am not all that offended by it either.

Swearing around high school athletes is different than swearing at high school kids.

I wasn't or never used swearing as a way to motivated kids, or to show how "manly" I am because I can cuss.

I like that stance Deputy Nutz. There isn't a fine line there. You nailed it down Deputy.

GO PACKERS. Again, in 2011 !

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 12:21 PM

mmmmm

P A C K E R S !!

mraynrand
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM

+1. Wahhh, Wahhh, my coach SWORE!!! Wahhhhhh!!!

Love this coach. (Ahh, what the hell do I know - he could be a totally shitty coach).

Edit: Is the rant really a sign that he lost the team? Someone broke a rule of his and he's pissed. That's not too shocking, is it? What are people basing "He's lost the team" on?

The point I guess on second thought, is that I wouldn't base an assessment of this guy - either way - just on this little rant. Standing on it's own, it just doesn't seem that bad. If there's a pattern and he has no control of his team, then it's another matter.

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Read about that. Didn't watch the video, but it said it was pretty bad. High school coach cussing out the kids.

Of course, there is a movement to save his jobs, apparently 800 ppl signed up to a Facebook page supporting him. What a crock.

I've re-assessed my position on this story:

I looked at this again and my opinion is that he just needs to make a proper amend; he should be offered a second chance. Everyone can lose it. Ever loose it Packerfan? Do or say something wrong, that you regretted later?

The overall body of his service should be considered in any FINAL decision RE: his former position. He deserves another chance.

P A C K E R S !

Guiness
10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
is that I wouldn't base an assessment of this guy - either way - just on this little rant.

I looked at this again and my opinion is that he just needs to make a proper amend; he should be offered a second chance.

A sign of the Apocalypse. Near as I can tell, you two are agreeing on something. Lord have mercy!

This was recorded by a player, and posted on Youtube. I agree with pbmax that this likely wasn't the first time it happened, and that's why the kids were ready to record and post it.

Granted, with cell phones, it could have been a spur of the moment decision, but I think he was routinely going off the deep end and the kids were sick of it.

CaptainD
10-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Smith Center KS the program that won 70 something straight. Lets see there idea of pre game speech's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2ggeF_WQc&feature=related

Big difference ! Oh and they win by about 50 points a game.

Gunakor
10-29-2011, 07:22 AM
So anything kids hear is fair game for use for the rest of their life? In any setting? By an authority figure? There is no higher standard?

Really?

The school and the community pay this guys salary. They get to decide if he stays or goes. 800 facebook likes might save him. But since he turned in his own resignation, that seems a hard deal to overturn.

Last thought, he seems not upset simply with his team's motivation for the game. He seems to think he has lost control of his team. Threatening to have kids from other schools arrested for trespassing seems an odd way to motivate a team to win, win, win. Does he really say, "Don't f***ing play golf!" or I not hearing that correctly?

Well, my boss cusses at me all the time. I cuss back. It's been this way for 10 years. So... Yeah, I suppose it is fair game.

The threat about having kids arrested for trespassing sounds to me a result of his players bringing their friends from other schools to practice. Coach doesn't want that happening, and whether or not these friends know a football from a chinstrap I could certainly understand his not wanting them to be there.

He's talking about his players "Doing their own thing" as opposed to buying into the team concept. He says that if they want to do their own thing they should "Go fucking play golf!!" Because golf isn't a team sport. Nothing at all wrong with what he said there.

I loved the speech. He's pissed. Yeah, I think he's lost the team too, but it doesn't sound like they were ever much of a team to begin with. Without hearing the players and their side, it just sounds like the players weren't buying into a team concept because they were too busy trying to impress someone or too busy doing their own thing. Sounds to me like the players needed an ass kicking. He delivered one. What's the problem?

pbmax
10-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Well, my boss cusses at me all the time. I cuss back. It's been this way for 10 years. So... Yeah, I suppose it is fair game.

The threat about having kids arrested for trespassing sounds to me a result of his players bringing their friends from other schools to practice. Coach doesn't want that happening, and whether or not these friends know a football from a chinstrap I could certainly understand his not wanting them to be there.

He's talking about his players "Doing their own thing" as opposed to buying into the team concept. He says that if they want to do their own thing they should "Go fucking play golf!!" Because golf isn't a team sport. Nothing at all wrong with what he said there.

I loved the speech. He's pissed. Yeah, I think he's lost the team too, but it doesn't sound like they were ever much of a team to begin with. Without hearing the players and their side, it just sounds like the players weren't buying into a team concept because they were too busy trying to impress someone or too busy doing their own thing. Sounds to me like the players needed an ass kicking. He delivered one. What's the problem?

"Go play golf ..." makes much more sense than what I thought I heard. The problem, from this one example, is that he gives the kids no reason to be there. Scaring kids straight is fine. Why should kids on the fence (and there are always kids on the fence) continue to play? You want to be part of something bigger and better. And this coach doesn't sound like he is going to make that happen. You need to want to play better, to succeed for the team, school, coach or parents. Or perhaps most of all for yourself. He's just yelling at them to follow rules, which is boring. Could he be different in other scenes? Possibly. But he sounds like he has lost control over a situation that has been developing for sometime.

As for cussing, it can work. But the more you do it, the less effective it is.

channtheman
10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe the guy was just a shitty coach and his teams sucked, so he resigned not because of this, but because he was going to get fired after the season anyway.

woodbuck27
10-30-2011, 05:00 AM
A sign of the Apocalypse. Near as I can tell, you two are agreeing on something. Lord have mercy!

This was recorded by a player, and posted on Youtube. I agree with pbmax that this likely wasn't the first time it happened, and that's why the kids were ready to record and post it.

Granted, with cell phones, it could have been a spur of the moment decision, but I think he was routinely going off the deep end and the kids were sick of it.

Well somehow someone should have proff that is the fact. He seems to have a load of support for keeping him on. He certainly seems remorseful to me and more impressively he feels responsibility, shame and humility.

I like that response in any man that has screwed up. If I was the man to decide his future an the institution and the football Program; and I saw such an attitude, after the fact. I would have to sit down with that man and ask him if might he not reconsider.

GO PACKERS !