PDA

View Full Version : Ben Muth on Packers O Line

pbmax
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Football Outsiders Ben Muth was raised in Phoenix, Arizona and had season tickets to both the Cardinals and Sun Devils. As a result, he insists on irrationally defending Jake Plummer as quarterback. He left the state to go to college in California. He played offensive line at Stanford from 2004-08 and was named first team all conference in his final season. He now literally bleeds Cardinal red (for the Arizona Cardinals and Stanford). He was picked up by the San Diego Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2009 but released later that same year, due to combination of injury and giving up too many sacks in practice. Football Outsiders is his first writing experience.

Bulaga and Newhouse are not praised, but Lang, Wells and Sitton are held in high esteem.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Watching GB-MIN. One drive in, it looks like it's going to be a LONG day for Newhouse.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Love GB calling a motion crack back on Allen the first play after he had a drive killing sack the series before.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
GB oline is like 2 different units. The interior guys are really good, the tackles not so much.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Both guards really solid. Get good movement on running plays and don't give much ground in pass pro.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Wells is a stud. Awesome game from him. As good as Iv'e seen a center play since I started working for FO.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Newhouse had a really rough game. Looked tentative and slow in pass pro. Didn't cut anyone off on the backside of running plays.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Oh, and he fell down when he was the lead blocker on a toss and almost tackled Starks himself.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Bulaga plays too high in the running game, always seems to be on wrong side of LOS (did make a nice cutoff block on Packers last 1st down).

RobDemovsky Rob Demovsky
Some #NFL milestones through Week 7. tinyurl.com/3gbu5xu #Packers

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Doesn't seem very athletic in pass pro. Got beat around the edge too often.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Also, he sucks at stopping the penetrator on twists. Doesn't blunt him at all, always screwed his guard.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
Was just 1 game and maybe MIN DEs are just alot better than their DTs, but it was amazing 2 see the difference between the inside & outside.

FO_wordofmuth Ben Muth
@jeffcav22 Not as bad as you would think. Interior should be fun to watch. Think the OTs have more trouble w/speed. Not Jackson & KVBs forte

steve823
10-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Agree with almost everything he said, except his talk about Bulaga. Our interior is very good (especially Sitton/Wells), but I also think Bulaga is good. It seems that he got a lot stronger and learned a lot from his rookie year.

Our LT spot is still up in the air. I would love to see how Sherrod plays for 2 full games since I'm not sold on Newhouse and Clifton is too beat up to count on for being healthy.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Was just 1 game and maybe MIN DEs are just alot better than their DTs

ding ding ding

woodbuck27
10-28-2011, 07:10 PM
"GB oline is like 2 different units. The interior guys are really good, the tackles not so much." article

Comments anyone?

PACKERS FOREVER!

Upnorth
10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
I like muths stuff, two comments on pack oline.
Buluga is still recovering and was suseptible to some of the moves thrown at him.
For Newhouse first start going against Allen he kicked ass. Before the game allen lead the league in sacks so its not like he is a push over. What I saw from newhouse gives me confidence in his long term sucsess. He may never be a clifton but he will be good.

Harlan Huckleby
10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
i racked my brain, but am unable to work the phrase "Muth diver" into any sentence. how I tried.

gbgary
10-28-2011, 11:52 PM
muth ado about nothing.

denverYooper
10-30-2011, 05:24 PM
ding ding ding

Jared Allen is the best DE in the league this year if not the best defensive player overall so it's a pretty big understatement.

Harlan Huckleby
10-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Jared Allen is the best DE in the league this year if not the best defensive player overall so it's a pretty big understatement.

I think Robison the Nut Cruncher is pretty damn good too. Very Mathewsesque in quickness. Harvey said he is nothing special in his scouting report last summer, which I count as an extra point in Robison's favor.