PDA

View Full Version : Tebow takes a beating

Guiness
10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Tebow was sacked 7 times today!!! Am I the only one who thinks Orton was on the sidelines going "ouch..."

He was under 50% completion ration, but did rush 10 times for 63yds. I'm too lazy to go look, I wonder if Vick's #'s were similar early in his career.

A Lions LB celebrated a sack by 'Tebowing' (http://tebowing.com/ <- that didn't take long). I wonder how he's taking that? IMO it's some nasty mocking.

Joemailman
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
It looks to me like he gets sacked a lot because he holds on to the ball too long. And he's inaccurate. I know it's been said before, but when you see the QB problems some teams have, it's amazing that the Packers have had Favre and Rodgers for 20 years.

Brando19
10-30-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't agree with the mocking of Tebow. I think Tebow sucks...but he's a super nice guy and doesn't bad mouth anyone. In my opinion...the Detroit defense is full of thugs and ass holes.

Joemailman
10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't agree with the mocking of Tebow. I think Tebow sucks...but he's a super nice guy and doesn't bad mouth anyone. In my opinion...the Detroit defense is full of thugs and ass holes.

I agree. It's not Tebow's fault that he's a guy who was drafted on the 1st round even though he doesn't really have NFL skills.

At the beginning of the year, I thought it was cool that the Lions were finally going to be good. Now I not only want the Packers to beat them on Thanksgiving, I want the Packers to really put them in their place. The Lions appear to be a reflection of their coach, and their coach appears to be a jerk.

Brandon494
10-30-2011, 09:58 PM
The Lions are too mean, they should be nicer.... ITS FOOTBALL! LMAO, some of the best players in the past were complete assholes, whats with everyone getting so soft now a days?

Brandon494
10-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Also Tebow needs to switch to TE, hes not a NFL QB. I don't care how nice of a guy he is, being nice does win games.

bobblehead
10-30-2011, 10:14 PM
The Lions are too mean, they should be nicer.... ITS FOOTBALL! LMAO, some of the best players in the past were complete assholes, whats with everyone getting so soft now a days?

Because you can be both. I can admire one's talent while saying he is and asshole, but I can admire a person who has great talent even more. I get your point, but I will be a huge fan of guys like Driver long after I am a fan of guys like Rothlesburger.

Brandon494
10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I agree with you but I guess I just like my defense to have a little mean streak.

MJZiggy
10-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I agree with you but I guess I just like my defense to have a little mean streak.

I want them to play mean and dominate. You can do that with your mouth shut.

Brandon494
10-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Trash talking is part of the game, its Football!

mraynrand
10-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Tebow was sacked 7 times today!!! Am I the only one who thinks Orton was on the sidelines going "ouch..."

He was under 50% completion ration, but did rush 10 times for 63yds. I'm too lazy to go look, I wonder if Vick's #'s were similar early in his career.

A Lions LB celebrated a sack by 'Tebowing' (http://tebowing.com/ <- that didn't take long). I wonder how he's taking that? IMO it's some nasty mocking.

Probably he will read Matt 10:22 "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

pbmax
10-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Schwartz was mouthing with Denver players today along the sideline, I saw one instance though it was lost in replay because of a flag elsewhere on the play.

Tebow getting his move mocked was predictable. Players mocked Rodgers belt before he won a Super Bowl and have repeated it this year. Tebow has gotten a tremendous amount of press attention and had little production on it. I doubt its a big deal to the Denver players. The fans on the other hand ....

Pugger
10-30-2011, 11:15 PM
We want our players to be aggressive and have a nasty streak but only so far. There is difference between aggressive play and thuggery.

sharpe1027
10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Having an edge is fine, but there has to be a line somewhere though. Are the Lions past the line? Depends on who you ask.

I look at it this way, judging their behavior based upon all the other teams playing the same game should give a pretty good indicator of where they stand. Can you name a team that acts worse than them? At the very least, they do shit that other teams don't think is appropriate. It probably doesn't mean all that much in the end, but it does make me want to see them fail miserably.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Suh's plays earlier this year are one thing, but Champ Bailey didn't have much of a problem with the Lions after having played them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20111030_DET@DEN

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Tebow has gotten a tremendous amount of press attention and had little production on it.

+1

That would be odd, if he weren't a championship QB. He's like Cam Newton, without the NFL talent.

Patler
10-31-2011, 06:26 AM
Were a Packer to do that in a game to mock Tebow, I would be very disappointed.
Mocking something as personal as a person's religious beliefs is inappropriate, in my opinion.
Mocking Rodgers' "belt" or another contrived celebratory move is juvenile, in my opinion, but is show for show. It is mocking something that is done for the show of the game. Mocking an individuals heartfelt action based on a belief in God is disrespect of an act unrelated to football. Tebow does not do it for show.

Incidentally, it should be noted that several Packer receivers take a knee for a brief moment of thanks after scoring a TD. Other players do, too. No need to mock Tebow for it just because he is a QB.

Fritz
10-31-2011, 07:06 AM
According to Lions' linebacker Stephen Tulloch, he was "'Not mocking him or anything, but everybody's doing it,' explained Tulloch, who told Tebow as much — and encouraged him — when the quarterback congratulated him on the field after the game. 'So I figured if I got to him, I was gonna do one, too.'"

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111031/OPINION03/110310348/Victory-proves-two-things--Lions-have-arrived--and-Tim-Tebow-hasn’t#ixzz1cMOcp7x1

A more disturbing issue than whether the Lions are d-bags is the fact that the NFL once again displayed its huge hypocrisy - after cracking down on players for perceived "illegal" hits, it had the temerity to advertise the Lions-Broncos battle as good versus evil. It was on the NFL's own website.

Packers4Glory
10-31-2011, 07:34 AM
I think they are setting Tebow up to fail. He's a guy that needs to have a system around him and not try to jam him into a system that is more suited to the Ortons or Quinn's. He's not that type of QB. The Brass know the season is over so they are trying to shut up the fan base by putting him out there.

Scott Campbell
10-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Mocking something as personal as a person's religious beliefs is inappropriate, in my opinion.
Mocking Rodgers' "belt" or another contrived celebratory move is juvenile, in my opinion, but is show for show. It is mocking something that is done for the show of the game. Mocking an individuals heartfelt action based on a belief in God is disrespect of an act unrelated to football. Tebow does not do it for show.

You can be plenty sincere about your beliefs without praying on the field. I don't agree with what the Lions are doing, but Tebow brought it upon himself.

Pugger
10-31-2011, 09:06 AM

Incidentally, it should be noted that several Packer receivers take a knee for a brief moment of thanks after scoring a TD. Other players do, too. No need to mock Tebow for it just because he is a QB.

Then why did Nick Collins get flagged in the SB for his actions after his INT for a TD?

Patler
10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Then why did Nick Collins get flagged in the SB for his actions after his INT for a TD?

I believe because he went to both knees after having been up. One knee is OK, two is considered going to the ground in excessive celebration. They have a lot of silly distinctions in the excessive celebration stuff, such as involving fans (Lambeau Leap is "grandfathered"), involving other players, going to the ground, etc.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
You can't go to the ground for a celebration. The one exception is one someone is "praying" after a score.

Jared Allen's sack dance was illegal because one of his knees was on the ground. He's revised it so that knee doesn't touch anymore so now it's ok.

Zool
10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Go to 1 knee on the sidelines. You do it on the field its fair game for mockery when you blow as many goats as Tebow did yesterday.

denverYooper
10-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Also Tebow needs to switch to TE, hes not a NFL QB. I don't care how nice of a guy he is, being nice does win games.

I heard the TE thing from someone else this morning too. Why do you think he needs to switch to TE? Why not HB/FB/Option QB?

Brandon494
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Just think TE would be his best position.

denverYooper
10-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I think they are setting Tebow up to fail. He's a guy that needs to have a system around him and not try to jam him into a system that is more suited to the Ortons or Quinn's. He's not that type of QB. The Brass know the season is over so they are trying to shut up the fan base by putting him out there.

While I don't think they're exactly setting him up to fail, I don't think they're trying to maximize his chance for success. I do think you're right, though, that the Johns don't see Tebow as the long term QB and it's somewhat of a win for them if Tebow plays himself out of the job. I feel like he'll get another couple of starts depending on how the Oakland game goes. If he can play ok against a hated division rival, he probably buys himself a few more games. If they lose by 30 pts to Oak, he's probably done for.

Brady Quinn, on the other hand, is somewhat intriguing. Word is that he hired a coach to work with him on his game in the offseason and looked pretty good in camp. I kind of hope they put him in for a few games to take a look.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I watched that game. Like most broadcast games, you don't get a view of the secondary, but it seemed to me there weren't a whole lot of receivers getting separation for Denver. Ask yourself this: who is a number 1 receiver in that offense? Decker? I'm not impressed at all with Tebow, but dude doesn't have much help.

MadScientist
10-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Probably he will read Matt 10:22 "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."
If he would have read Matthew 6:5-6 he wouldn't be Tebowing in the first place, and many people would find him a lot less annoying

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
+1

That would be odd, if he weren't a championship QB. He's like Cam Newton, without the NFL talent.

Leaving Gainesville hasn't cut down the coverage much. Though I suspect as a first round pick, his pay has increased.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:25 PM

How do you know it's a heartfelt action?

I find it odd that any player does it, but Tebow's was even more posed and considered than most of the public celebrations of this type. I find it odd that such a prayer never follows an INT, when a player (DB or QB) still has a lot to be thankful for.

Fritz
10-31-2011, 01:28 PM
I would prefer a QB shaking his fist at the sky after throwing an interception. If God needs to be thanked after helping you succeed, why not blame him/her/it when you fail? If God is responsible for success, why not failure too?

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I would prefer a QB shaking his fist at the sky after throwing an interception. If God needs to be thanked after helping you succeed, why not blame him/her/it when you fail? If God is responsible for success, why not failure too?

The gesture, and reminder behind it (often, all glory belongs to God) is usually evoked to keep oneself humble. However, to do this in a stadium of 80,000 with a national television audience watching, seems to speak of everything BESIDE humility.

What I always wonder is if they would do the same when playing a pickup game.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:43 PM
I watched that game. Like most broadcast games, you don't get a view of the secondary, but it seemed to me there weren't a whole lot of receivers getting separation for Denver. Ask yourself this: who is a number 1 receiver in that offense? Decker? I'm not impressed at all with Tebow, but dude doesn't have much help.

Brandon Lloyd, but the point is well taken. Its a team without many threats.

I don't think he is Vick, Young (Steve or Vince) or Newton or Rodgers in terms of mobility at QB. He is a battering ram of a player who has been most accurate and consistent with the spread and lots of short, quick routes like Meyers Florida and Utah offenses. Either they would need to move to that or he needs to become an H back/wildcat.

Since Elway and Fox did not draft him, I see him being moved to a new position or team.

The worst thing that happened to him was that a neophyte coach fell in love with him and didn't have the power to stay in place to build an offense around him.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:46 PM
If he would have read Matthew 6:5-6 he wouldn't be Tebowing in the first place, and many people would find him a lot less annoying

That's a good point, if Tebow is seeking to glorify himself. Alternatively, he may be witnessing. It is not possible to do that in private, though it's valid to question the efficacy of doing it on the football field.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Brandon Lloyd, but the point is well taken. Its a team without many threats.

I don't think he is Vick, Young (Steve or Vince) or Newton or Rodgers in terms of mobility at QB. He is a battering ram of a player who has been most accurate and consistent with the spread and lots of short, quick routes like Meyers Florida and Utah offenses. Either they would need to move to that or he needs to become an H back/wildcat.

Since Elway and Fox did not draft him, I see him being moved to a new position or team.

The worst thing that happened to him was that a neophyte coach fell in love with him and didn't have the power to stay in place to build an offense around him.

Lloyd went to St. Louis before the trade deadline, and is making A.J. Feeley look good

Patler
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM

How do you know it's a heartfelt action?

I find it odd that any player does it, but Tebow's was even more posed and considered than most of the public celebrations of this type. I find it odd that such a prayer never follows an INT, when a player (DB or QB) still has a lot to be thankful for.

You guys on this website are unbelievable. How about "Mocking an individual for what in my opinion is a heartfelt action based on a belief in God is disrespect of an act unrelated to football. Tebow does not do it for show, in my opinion." Is that better?

Was it that unclear that I was writing OPINION??????? I wrote "....in my opinion......" twice in that same paragraph.

Do I know have to precede or end every sentence with "in my opinion???????????????

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM

It's potentially more dangerous to yell at God when things don't go your way. You know, lightening strikes and all that. Especially when you are in the Rockies.

Patler
10-31-2011, 01:54 PM

How do you know the coach fell in love with him? (See, two can play your silly-ass game.)

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Do I know have to precede or end every sentence with "in my opinion???????????????

On this website? Probably a good idea - especially if you don't want to get shot by Skinbasket's kids. BTW, you can just use IMO or IMHO - you don't have to write it all out. BTW, IMHO In his stead, and by his command, Tim Tebow forgives you.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
That's a good point, if Tebow is seeking to glorify himself. Alternatively, he may be witnessing. It is not possible to do that in private, though it's valid to question the efficacy of doing it on the football field.

I have always found that dichotomy fascinating. I suspect that a number of athletes do this at games to set a good example, a step less serious than a witness (in my mind anyway). Which raises a whole other host of questions.

I can understand the humility aspect after a touchdown, especially when contrasted to Ochocinco putting the football with a pylon. But it would still make more sense to me if you were doing it before a crucial fourth down play, looking for guidance before deciding on a run/pass option.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
I have always found that dichotomy fascinating. I suspect that a number of athletes do this at games to set a good example, a step less serious than a witness (in my mind anyway). Which raises a whole other host of questions.

I can understand the humility aspect after a touchdown, especially when contrasted to Ochocinco putting the football with a pylon. But it would still make more sense to me if you were doing it before a crucial fourth down play, looking for guidance before deciding on a run/pass option.

I suspect a lot of QBs pray on fourth down - especially if it's for more than 10 yards, and they are playing in Baltimore.

Airin' Rodgers
10-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Jennings prays after nearly every touchdown reception. No one mocks him.

Patler
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Jennings prays after nearly every touchdown reception. No one mocks him.

Yes he does, and I think at least one other WR does too. James Jones perhaps?

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
I suspect a lot of QBs pray on fourth down - especially if it's for more than 10 yards, and they are playing in Baltimore.

That could be while some QBs still kneel in the huddle. Tough to do in the no-huddle though.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 02:09 PM
How do you know the coach fell in love with him? (See, two can play your silly-ass game.)

I know how important rock solid proof is to you Patler:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/JoshandTimmy.jpg

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
Yes he does, and I think at least one other WR does too. James Jones perhaps?

Why then, do you suspect, that Tebow is regarded differently?

Patler
10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
For those too addle-brained to realize it, the entirety of the following statement is offered as opinion based on a life time of observation, but is not offered as a statement of fact for any purpose whatsoever:

For those referencing Matthew 6:5-6:

There is a big difference between pronounced public prayer to seek guidance and direction, and a quick public prayer in thanksgiving for a blessing just received.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Why then, do you suspect, that Tebow is regarded differently?

Not to answer for Patler, but Tebow is more outspoken about it - even though Jennings did say 'To God be the glory' in his post-Superbowl interview. That's less in-your-face than what Tebow does. I'm a bit conflicted about Tebow. he seems to be utterly sincere, but there's a fine line to walk there where you put people off and may destroy your efforts, as suggested by Mad Scientist above. Then there's the Aaron Kampman strategy, which I prefer, and which conforms to Matt. 6. But it's far less visible, so does it have as much of an effect? It's an interesting question to me, but probably not so much for a football forum!

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 02:22 PM
For those too addle-brained to realize it, the entirety of the following statement is offered as opinion based on a life time of observation, but is not offered as a statement of fact for any purpose whatsoever:

There is a big difference between pronounced public prayer to seek guidance and direction, and a quick public prayer in thanksgiving for a blessing just received.

Just Use 'OBOALOO.' Everyone else does.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
You guys on this website are unbelievable. How about "Mocking an individual for what in my opinion is a heartfelt action based on a belief in God is disrespect of an act unrelated to football. Tebow does not do it for show, in my opinion." Is that better?

Was it that unclear that I was writing OPINION??????? I wrote "....in my opinion......" twice in that same paragraph.

I was not trying to pry an "in Patler's opinion" out of you. I was pointing out that the difference you suggest between Rodger's and Tebow's gestures are based solely on the opinion of the person viewing the gesture. Therefore, open to interpretation by all.

In my opinion, I see players mocking a another who is completely out of his depth at his position. And who carries a media presence that far outstrips his professional accomplishments.

And I detect an odd disconnect between associating oneself in this manner with God only when success is at hand.

In this light, mocking Rodgers gesture prior to the Super Bowl made perfect sense. Mocking it this year seems to be grasping. Mocking Tebow after the success of Miami (the road game, not "the U") seems to me to be making light of his minimal professional accomplishments.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html

Unless I need to defend the use of the word love used idiomatically to mean "overvalue".

I am not sure why the question of assertion of fact versus opinion has become such a hot topic, but I did not attempt to refute your point by merely questioning what was obviously your opinion. I used a question about your opinion as a start to offer a contradictory one.

My full apologies for the (unintended) offense.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html

Unless I need to defend the use of the word love used idiomatically to mean "overvalue".

I am not sure why the question of assertion of fact versus opinion has become such a hot topic, but I did not attempt to refute your point by merely questioning what was obviously your opinion. I used a question about your opinion as a start to offer a contradictory one.

My full apologies for the (unintended) offense.

OBOALOO, Tebow baffled McDaniels with his bullshit. If Tebow picks up the terminology so fast, it shouldn't be hard to pick up John Fox's terminology: "Hand the ball to running back. Repeat."

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Not to answer for Patler, but Tebow is more outspoken about it - even though Jennings did say 'To God be the glory' in his post-Superbowl interview. That's less in-your-face than what Tebow does. I'm a bit conflicted about Tebow. he seems to be utterly sincere, but there's a fine line to walk there where you put people off and may destroy your efforts, as suggested by Mad Scientist above. Then there's the Aaron Kampman strategy, which I prefer, and which conforms to Matt. 6. But it's far less visible, so does it have as much of an effect? It's an interesting question to me, but probably not so much for a football forum!

I agree it is fascinating, but my own thinking is far more closely aligned to the Kampman approach than to the Tebow approach (or Andrew Quarless' approach).

However, I think Tebow is hurt more than helped in this arena and in football by his notoriety, which is unfortunate.

Patler
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
I was not trying to pry an "in Patler's opinion" out of you. I was pointing out that the difference you suggest between Rodger's and Tebow's gestures are based solely on the opinion of the person viewing the gesture. Therefore, open to interpretation by all.

In my opinion, I see players mocking a another who is completely out of his depth at his position. And who carries a media presence that far outstrips his professional accomplishments.

And I detect an odd disconnect between associating oneself in this manner with God only when success is at hand.

In this light, mocking Rodgers gesture prior to the Super Bowl made perfect sense. Mocking it this year seems to be grasping. Mocking Tebow after the success of Miami seems to me to be making light of his minimal professional accomplishments.

In my opinion your "explanation" does not correlate with you previous post. Just my opinion however. No factual basis or support for it at all. Just my interpretation of the words you used in the combinations presented. I could be completely wrong about this. I fully recognize that.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 02:46 PM

In my opinion your "explanation" does not correlate with you previous post. Just my opinion however. No factual basis or support for it at all. Just my interpretation of the words you used in the combinations presented. I could be completely wrong about this. I fully recognize that.

I recommend a bottle of Bass Ale before your next post. I think things will look better - OBOALOO.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:52 PM

In my opinion, they are consistent, though the second post (quoted in your message quoted here) was a fuller explanation of both my doubts about the gesture and the possible reasons one could choose to mock it.

MadScientist
10-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Just Use 'OBOALOO.' Everyone else does.

According to Google, you are the only one using that acronym, whatever it stands for.

Patler
10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
According to Google, you are the only one using that acronym, whatever it stands for.

OBOALOO.

"Opinion Based On A Lifetime Of Observation", I assume.

Cheesehead Craig
10-31-2011, 03:37 PM
OBOALOO.

But that's just your opinion on that though, at least that's my opinion on the subject.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 03:46 PM
In the name of unnecessary specificity, I move that we vote to require the actual number of years in one's lifetime before using that acronym.

/end joke

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
But that's just your opinion on that though, at least that's my opinion on the subject.

I like it better than IMHO, 44 OBOALOO.

mraynrand
10-31-2011, 04:14 PM
:lol:

Awesome that you googled it! :tup:

When I googled it, I got 4 million hits for Balloo:

http://images.wikia.com/disney/images/3/35/35158_hi_BalooFruit_39816_500w.jpg

This thread is really off the rails. I blame me.

sharpe1027
10-31-2011, 04:58 PM

In PB's defense, that is not how I read it at all.

Usually when someone asks that type of question they are curious to know the why behind a certain statement. Is it really necessary to spell out each time that the discussion relates another posters opinion before asking any question? "How do you reach the opinion that it's a heartfelt action?" Perhaps not?

Just my opinion on the subject, and I can understand how it could be interpreted another way.

sharpe1027
10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
For clarification, my above post is IMHO, BF OBOALOO.

Patler
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
44 OBOALOO.

Huh. Just a kid. Your OBOALOO is virtually worthless, IMHO.

##OBOALOO ( I have to keep some secrets. At least you know there are only two digits in it!)

MJZiggy
10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
What in bloody hell are you people talking about? And what have you done to Patler???

Fritz
10-31-2011, 05:49 PM
The gesture, and reminder behind it (often, all glory belongs to God) is usually evoked to keep oneself humble. However, to do this in a stadium of 80,000 with a national television audience watching, seems to speak of everything BESIDE humility.

What I always wonder is if they would do the same when playing a pickup game.

It's weird that we (as in "general American culture") perceive ourselves to be more-or-less a Christian nation, and brief efforts (like the quick pointing-to-the-sky-after-a-touchdown) are seen as okay, but when a guy actually performs actions or says things that seem to indicate he's serious about his religion, he kinda gets made fun of.

American, the land of the paradox.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
It's weird that we (as in "general American culture") perceive ourselves to be more-or-less a Christian nation, and brief efforts (like the quick pointing-to-the-sky-after-a-touchdown) are seen as okay, but when a guy actually performs actions or says things that seem to indicate he's serious about his religion, he kinda gets made fun of.

American, the land of the paradox.

I think, especially in the Midwest, certain religious traditions and days long past, there is/was a tendency to downplay public acts of piety, and someone quoted the scripture most often associated with that sentiment. And that is the tradition I was raised in. I take most public statements (and this fits in well with the internet) with a grain of salt.

So while cynical, older me, 44_OBOALOO, suspects I am being sold a bill of goods, I recognize my standard is not everyone's standard when it comes to public displays of religious fealty. In the congregations of my youth, the only outright witness being presented was if there was a fender bender in the parking lot after service.

And I would add that I doubt the players are concerned with Tebow's religious convictions, as I bet most of them share his motivation, evidenced by the number of players who perform similar acts after scoring and the lineup at midfield for the shared prayer. Personally, I would more easily identify with a player at that prayer circle, regardless of outcome or individual accomplishment, who is thankful simply to have been there.

denverYooper
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't usually enjoy the comments section in ESPN articles, but someone started a pretty funny meme in this one: "XX > Tebow",

eg:

Lot lizards in Rock Springs, WY > Tebow
Being caught by your kids, watching internet porn > Tebow
Mark Brunell's savings account > Tebow
The "Charlie Weis Diet" > Tebow
The tooth fairy stealing your money > Tebow
being santa in philly > tebow

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/34680/time-for-elway-to-think-post-tebow

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Reggie White might have been the most religious man to ever play the game and he didn't get down on his knees to pray everytime he sacked a QB. Reggie knew the time and place to spread the word of God and he didn't shove it down peoples' throats while wearing an NFL uniform.

Tebow is known as a Christian do gooder, and that is great. He has the bible thumpers eating out of his hand and he will most likely make more money speaking in churches than throwing a football. He has marketed himself really well in that respect. Hopefully he doesn't get caught playing footsey in a mens' public restroom.

mraynrand
11-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Tebow ... will most likely make more money speaking in churches than throwing a football. .

Throw out the Money Changers!

Patler
11-02-2011, 08:49 AM
When has Tebow prayed? From what I have read, only after the games have ended, or on the sidelines. White always prayed after games, sometimes leading a group of players from both teams while still on the field as the players left. Many players still do. You can see it after almost any game. I suspect others pray during games, too.

Arguable, Tebow's prayers have been less demonstrative than those by players like Jennings who do it on the field during the course of the game at a time when attention is focused specifically on them after a TD catch.

Is Tebow any more of a Christian do-gooder than White was?

Are good players like White, Jennings, Bravaro and others allowed to be demonstrative of their religious beliefs but not very good NFL players like Tebow are not? If Tebow becomes a good player, will it then be acceptable to the masses as Whites prayers were and Jennings prayers are?

Upnorth
11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
OBOALOO.

According to painstaking research (i typed it into google) Myannrand is a big fan of the bear Baloo and may be dyslexic.
Not opinion, just facts here.

And now that I have read to the end of the thread I see my supposed ha ha was used by some one else already.
IMHO 39/BALOO

Pugger
11-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I suspect Tebow gets this derision from other players (there is no other way to describe it IMO) because of his position (QB), notoriety and the fact he has shown he can't play NFL caliber football as a QB. The players mocking Tebow remind me of high schoolers teasing the class nerd. Juvenile behavior to nth degree.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/01/boomer-esiason-broncos-time-to-end-the-tim-tebow-experiment/

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Oh hell, anybody and everyone should be mocked for their trademarks. I think it is funny and people should unbundle their undies.

denverYooper
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
When has Tebow prayed? From what I have read, only after the games have ended, or on the sidelines. White always prayed after games, sometimes leading a group of players from both teams while still on the field as the players left. Many players still do. You can see it after almost any game. I suspect others pray during games, too.

Arguable, Tebow's prayers have been less demonstrative than those by players like Jennings who do it on the field during the course of the game at a time when attention is focused specifically on them after a TD catch.

Is Tebow any more of a Christian do-gooder than White was?

Are good players like White, Jennings, Bravaro and others allowed to be demonstrative of their religious beliefs but not very good NFL players like Tebow are not? If Tebow becomes a good player, will it then be acceptable to the masses as Whites prayers were and Jennings prayers are?

Living in Denver and being exposed to many Tebow interviews through our local maedia, I can tell you that his religious expression is a lot more muted than it's made out to be. He'll end an interview with "God bless" or something but he's not in your face with it.

Brandon494
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I like our football players are now being classified as thugs because they aren't playing nice. No offense to anyone but it's pretty clear which posters on this board have never played a down of football in their life. It's a mean and voilent sport, always has been. I almost feel sorry for the defensive players now a days with all the new rules favoring the offense. It's getting to the point where they can't do anything without being fined or penalized.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Reggie White had a sense of humor about himself, wasn't afraid of jokes about his religiosity. Not too many ministers dabbling in professional wrestling. He was a funny guy.

The religous are NOT oppressed in America. It is OK to make jokes about religion, done in good fun, just like other aspect of our lives.

pbmax
11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Reggie White had a sense of humor about himself, wasn't afraid of jokes about his religiosity. Not too many ministers dabbling in professional wrestling. He was a funny guy.

The religous are NOT oppressed in America. It is OK to make jokes about religion, done in good fun, just like other aspect of our lives.

If Tebowing is a joke about religion, was planking was a joke about exercising? I have my doubts. Both are completely removed from context EXCEPT Tulloch did it on the same field of play that Tebow was on in celebration of a sack of Tebow.

Bringing it back home, so to speak, means its fair game to ask what Tulloch might be saying about Tebow. But I still have a hard time seeing it as a comment about religion.

Patler
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
No offense to anyone but it's pretty clear which posters on this board have never played a down of football in their life. It's a mean and voilent sport, always has been.

Be careful of the judgements you make. You might be surprised.

Oh, and if football, or any sport, is what you perceive to be "mean" or "violent", consider yourself very lucky.

Freak Out
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I've actualy sacraficed virgins of both sexes on the field after a touchdown....no kidding.

Patler
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I've actualy sacraficed virgins of both sexes on the field after a touchdown....no kidding.

Just another religious act from an earlier time. :wink:

pbmax
11-02-2011, 02:43 PM

To celebrate or prevent? Context is everything. :shock:

Cleft Crusty
11-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I like our football players are now being classified as thugs because they aren't playing nice. No offense to anyone but it's pretty clear which posters on this board have never played a down of football in their life. It's a mean and voilent sport, always has been. I almost feel sorry for the defensive players now a days with all the new rules favoring the offense. It's getting to the point where they can't do anything without being fined or penalized.

Mr. 494, you are absolutely right. Back in the day, football players would beat each other senseless, with swinging clothesline tackles, forearm shivers and closed-fisted punches right in the kisser. Today's generation is hopelessly wussified. Even my pathetic son-in-law won't play pick-up ball with me anymore. "You're too interested in winning, Pop. I just want to shoot around and have a nice time" he says. Then he goes in and texts his buddies about which specialty IPA they're going to drink later. Pathetic. Last time we played one-on-one I crushed him 11-3, even with having to use the paddles twice to stop fibrillation. Problem with modern momma's boys is that they think their crap smells good and that they're going to live forever so long as they drink bottled water. Can't stand any of 'em.

Scott Campbell
11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

I thought you were a male cheerleader.

Brandon494
11-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I thought you were a male cheerleader.

I wish, they have the best view at the game.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2011, 05:55 PM
In the old days, when it was Christians versus Lions, the Lions were undefeated. 28,457-0

vince
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
In the old days, when it was Christians versus Lions, the Lions were undefeated. 28,457-0
Football games go back even further than that, and religion had a central place in the game since its inception, so Tebow is just carrying on ancient tradition.

Footballs were originally symbolic representations of the Sun God used by primitives in ceremonies to bless the ground for good crops that season. Primitive men believed the size of their bounty depended on how well they handled the Sun God. Tribes divided into teams and the Sun-God was tossed and kicked during a ritual game with the teams competing to advance Sun-God to their goal, which was typically a tree that represented their crops. The Sun-God was sometimes sprinkled with water to ensure rain – and fumbles. Victory meant the Sun God looked kindly down upon them and bountiful riches of food and meaty women would be had for the season.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/twernke/Packers/PHOTO_4911339_32422_9366249_main.jpg
(Gratuitous boob shot) The tailgating continues even after game time.

Pray on Tim Tebow and give thanks. Your bounty may be undeserved, but it may also be short-lived.

Harlan Huckleby
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
I suppose fans complained that the league went soft when they started flagging defenders for spearing - "too many deaths before halftime"

Are those rastafarians with the giant spliffs?

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Well this thread is going into the garbage can.

pbmax
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I wish, they have the best view at the game.

I always thought in was the people directly behind the cheerleaders who had the best views. Or maybe the cameraman and his producer.