PDA

View Full Version : My guy is BACK...as in re-signed!!!!!

Patler
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Anthony Levine resigned to the practice squad:

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-announce-roster-moves/61c6781d-6a6e-40d6-a452-ab4297964956

Some of you might recall, he was my long shot candidate to make the roster.
When Collins was hurt, I predicted Levine would be re-signed.
I later heard he was still nursing a minor injury.

His Pro Day workout a year ago would have put him at the top of safeties at the Combine in 2010, to which he was not invited. The Packers signed him to a 3 year contract last year. He was on PS all last year until the last couple weeks when he went to IR. Was never completely healthy during camp this year, missed way too many practices to be a factor.

vince
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
I too thought Levine would be the guy to come back after Collins went down. In the limited action he saw early this preseason, he looked good, particularly as a tackler I thought. I think he had a hamstring injury if I recall from the preseason and you can't make the team from the training room.

Doc Jennings has some playmaking ability but he seems to be pretty raw yet. He's been a bit of a liabilty on special teams with a few penalties and he was the guy who almost ran into Cobb causing him to fumble a punt last game. I think he'll continue to learn, but Levine has a bit more experience being with the team all last year and was more assignment sure at the point he got hurt than Jennings, so it's good to have a back-up to get ready in the even of further trouble with Jennings or another injury.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Good news. I thought more of him than Dr. Jennings prior to his disappearance.

Patler
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
I too thought Levine would be the guy to come back after Collins went down. In the limited action he saw early this preseason, he looked good, particularly as a tackler I thought. I think he had a hamstring injury if I recall from the preseason and you can't make the team from the training room.

Doc Jennings has some playmaking ability but he seems to be pretty raw yet. He's been a bit of a liabilty on special teams with a few penalties and he was the guy who almost ran into Cobb causing him to fumble a punt last game. I think he'll continue to learn, but Levine has a bit more experience being with the team all last year and was more assignment sure at the point he got hurt than Jennings, so it's good to have a back-up to get ready in the even of further trouble with Jennings or another injury.

Ya, I think it was a hamstring problem, too; but I'm not completely sure. Hopefully he won't be Bigby II.

During TC in 2010, the DB coaches pointed out Levine as a guy with extremely good instincts, one referred to him as showing an understanding of the things you can't really teach, or something like that.

Patler
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I have no personal opinion about the guy's ability at all. Nor about MD Jennings for that matter. For what little they flash onto a screen during a preseason game against other players with minimal NFL potential, I learn nothing.

I have not seen one second of either of them in practice. I simply like Levine based on what I have read about him. If accurately reported, he seems to have characteristics that give him a shot to make it in the NFL.

pbmax
10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Levine might have had a hamstring injury, but he also had a concussion and the need to pass the outside neurologist's test that kept him out of camp for a long stretch.

I only remember him in one preseason game this year (Browns?) after he was moved ahead of Underwood for the #2 safety unit. I think he got hurt in a practice shortly after that. After he was promoted, Perry said he was among the smartest guys and was just a notch below Collins as an athlete.

Fritz
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Well, he must be healthy now. Let's hope he sticks on the practice squad and is not needed this year; next year he can compete for a full-time gig.

3irty1
10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Levine has got some elite change of direction skills for his size. Reminds me a bit of Jarrett Bush without the teams play. Love this mold, guys like this who break out can play forever.

Bretsky
10-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Levine has got some elite change of direction skills for his size. Reminds me a bit of Jarrett Bush without the teams play. Love this mold, guys like this who break out can play forever.

Levine would probably already be a solid starter for Green Bay had Patler not Atlas Herrion'd him

Patler
10-31-2011, 10:11 PM
Levine would probably already be a solid starter for Green Bay had Patler not Atlas Herrion'd him

:lol:

gbgary
11-01-2011, 12:10 AM

:lol:

what happened here?

Fritz
11-01-2011, 05:25 AM
They re-signed Patler's guy? What? Atlas Herrion?

pbmax
11-01-2011, 07:19 AM
what happened here?

Many posters over the years have championed various players for a role with the team. Bretsky, for instance has a mixed record with certain draft picks. And Patler has his (former?) support of one Atlas Herrion for a roster spot at Guard.

smuggler
11-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I like Levine and think he has pro level talent. Hopefully he can stay healthy, learn the playbook, and advance to the roster eventually.