PDA

View Full Version : Does Florio Have A Point, Are Coaches Undermining New Rules?

pbmax
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Its conjecture to be sure, but Florio makes a reasonable point that rather than explaining itself to a single player, the league ought to be holding the coach's feet to the fire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/01/league-makes-mistake-by-meeting-with-suh/

He came back to this point this morning when Jim Schwartz would not directly answer what he found out during the meeting of Suh with the Commish, Jeff Fisher and the disciplinary folks. Florio speculates that coaches might be playing dumb on the new rules to help encourage aggressive defense.

McCarthy has had at least two plays where he clearly didn't agree with what was called on the field, but at least in Matthews case there was no fine. I assume his questions have been answered but I would love someone to ask him directly if he is satisfied he understands the calls.

MJZiggy
11-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I've always seen it as he understands perfectly well what the rule is, he just (vehemently) disagrees with the way it is called or the interpretation on the field.

channtheman
11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I've always seen it as he understands perfectly well what the rule is, he just (vehemently) disagrees with the way it is called or the interpretation on the field.

Exactly this. If you watched the MNF game between the Chargers and the Chiefs, you saw a terrible offensive pass interference call against Antonia Gates late in the game. I know what PI is and by being angry or upset about the call, I am not acting as if I disagree with the rule, but only that I think how it was interpreted was wrong.

In regards to Florio's point, I actually think the meeting with Suh is more a knock on Suh, rather than saying the rules are too complicated. Suh was a little too "slow" to understand that he can't rip QB's heads off and violently twist them to the ground after they've thrown the ball as evidenced by numerous incidents and fines regarding him constantly doing the same thing. He needed a meeting to hopefully get it through his thick skull. At least that's what my initial impression was after hearing that he met with the commissioner.

Pugger
11-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll be shocked if Suh alters his approach to the game one iota.

woodbuck27
11-04-2011, 02:58 AM

PLUS One. I agree MJ.

pbmax
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Exactly this. If you watched the MNF game between the Chargers and the Chiefs, you saw a terrible offensive pass interference call against Antonia Gates late in the game. I know what PI is and by being angry or upset about the call, I am not acting as if I disagree with the rule, but only that I think how it was interpreted was wrong.

In regards to Florio's point, I actually think the meeting with Suh is more a knock on Suh, rather than saying the rules are too complicated. Suh was a little too "slow" to understand that he can't rip QB's heads off and violently twist them to the ground after they've thrown the ball as evidenced by numerous incidents and fines regarding him constantly doing the same thing. He needed a meeting to hopefully get it through his thick skull. At least that's what my initial impression was after hearing that he met with the commissioner.

Perhaps. But the commish was singing his praises and the changes to his game after that meeting. I think Goodell was trying to have half a loaf, congratulating him and commenting that he has changed. I wish I knew exactly what calls Suh was confused about. Because head twist doesn't seem all that complicated.

Fritz
11-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Ndahmanamanahmakong, you can't twist until you snap their necks, you can't spear them with your helmet like a pike, and you can't pike their eyeballs out. That's all!

MJZiggy
11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Then he'd start ramming them in the back after the ball was gone..."Well they didn't say not to do that!"

Upnorth
11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I have been thinking about this one, and while I imagine some coaches actively coach to undermine the rule, I think most try to comply as its a small league and if word got out a coach was doing that it could have large repercussions. To me the biggest problem with the rule is how random some interpretations of legal / illegal some refs are within a game itself.