PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wells Gets Some Run

pbmax
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
He got a nice mention is Ben Muth's Twitter feed review of the game against the Vikings (best game by a Center he had seen this year).

And now he is the mid-season All Pro pick for Peter King in SI (Rodgers and Matthews also make the cut).

http://insidesportsillustrated.com/2011/11/02/patriots-win-super-bowl-xlvi-in-our-playoff-forecast-peter-kings-midseason-all-pro-team/

denverYooper
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Pay the man!

Fritz
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I think we're all ready for a headline that reads "Scott Wells Gets Some Coin."

Or how about "Scott Wells Gets Some"?

Guiness
11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
He's turned into a heck of a player. A guy who it seemed like the Pack was trying to replace since the day he became a starter has done yeoman's work and makes it to the top at his craft.

I always liked the guy, and thought that his wrestling backround served him well.

pbmax
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
He's turned into a heck of a player. A guy who it seemed like the Pack was trying to replace since the day he became a starter has done yeoman's work and makes it to the top at his craft.

I always liked the guy, and thought that his wrestling backround served him well.

I thought he was topped out the year Spitz won the job before Jason's back injury. But Wells got even better. Its a nice reminder that these guys care and work hard even after they have "made it". Its even better when it works out for them and they get the contract they have earned.

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I think we're all ready for a headline that reads "Scott Wells Gets Some Coin."

Or how about "Scott Wells Gets Some"?

Or "Scott Wells Gets Some Run-DMC"?

http://wernervonwallenrod.com/run/rundmc2.jpg

rbaloha1
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Very Good Sherman pick that needs to be locked up.

Patler
11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
There was an article I think after the '09 season in which Philbin said they had to become smarter in how they used Wells. That because of his size there were certain things they shouldn't ask him to do too much, but there were other things he did extremely well that they needed to take better advantage of. He said they might have to block some plays just a little differently than they had been to achieve both objectives. I think that was the same year that MM said he wanted to have Philbin more involved in the O-line because of his 20 years experience as an O-line coach.

Have the Packers just gotten better at taking advantage of his strengths and not asking him to do what he doesn't do as well?

pbmax
11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
There was an article I think after the '09 season in which Philbin said they had to become smarter in how they used Wells. That because of his size there were certain things they shouldn't ask him to do too much, but there were other things he did extremely well that they needed to take better advantage of. He said they might have to block some plays just a little differently than they had been to achieve both objectives. I think that was the same year that MM said he wanted to have Philbin more involved in the O-line because of his 20 years experience as an O-line coach.

Have the Packers just gotten better at taking advantage of his strengths and not asking him to do what he doesn't do as well?

Could very well be. Though I think thought Philbin with more O line duties was last year, wasn't it? And I thought it would continue this year with Fontenot moving to RB coach.

Patler
11-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Could very well be. Though I think thought Philbin with more O line duties was last year, wasn't it? And I thought it would continue this year with Fontenot moving to RB coach.

Well, I said I thought the article was after the '09 season, with Philbin talking about what changes they would have to make to maximize Wells' value, so I guess that would have been Philbin becoming more involved with the O-line for the 2010 season, wouldn't it? He reviewed the '09 season and put changes in place for 2010.

pbmax
11-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, I said I thought the article was after the '09 season, with Philbin talking about what changes they would have to make to maximize Wells' value, so I guess that would have been Philbin becoming more involved with the O-line for the 2010 season, wouldn't it? He reviewed the '09 season and put changes in place for 2010.

Your timeline is probably spot on. I missed the "after" qualifier for the 2009 season comment.

hoosier
11-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Hard to argue with most of those, though there are some names you don't hear too often in that group (Kam Chancellor? Navorro Bowman? Eric Winston?). But Crosby over Janikowski (by a hair) seems right.

Cleft Crusty
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Giants have a two game lead over the Eagles and have already beaten them once - on the road. He must be relying on strength of schedule - Patriots, Packers, N.O., Jets, Cowboys twice and Eagles - because this paid prognosticator (professional bullshitter) has the Giants out of the playoffs.

mission
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Navarro Bowman is said to be playing better than Patrick Willis in SF. I've heard that from a few folks... was surprised myself.

Upnorth
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
I think alot of Well's sucsess is from his pad level.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2011, 10:19 AM

And overcoming his coaching.

Scott Campbell
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Wells doesn't have ideal measurables. And that's ok.

Fritz
11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

With just a little nudging I think we can turn this into a "James Campen sucks" thread. We're edging ever so close!

It will take me some serious work, though, to get this to a fire Shawn Slocum thread. But I might try.

Upnorth
11-03-2011, 05:25 PM
With just a little nudging I think we can turn this into a "James Campen sucks" thread. We're edging ever so close!

It will take me some serious work, though, to get this to a fire Shawn Slocum thread. But I might try.

So we have seen progress with the olines blocking, however we have not seen any progress with the special teams blocking, therefore FIRE SLOCUM!

Hows that Fritz?

smuggler
11-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Yep. Fire Slocum. But keep Masthay and Crosby. =3

pbmax
11-04-2011, 08:07 AM

A rare case on the O line where it pays to be short.

Kiwon
11-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Very Good Sherman pick that needs to be locked up.

Sherman? Who's Sherman?

That seems like ages ago. How times passes...............

smuggler
11-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Yep. Wells is a gamer, but he's no world beater. He's a lot like Olin Kreutz (before he was terrible) for the Bears. Somehow, Kreutz won a bunch of honors like Pro Bowl appearances and I think even a 2nd team All-Pro, but this season Wells is playing better than Kreutz ever did.