PDA

View Full Version : Luck doubters coming out

Guiness
11-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Seen a few people have come out doubting Luck's ability to be an NFL QB. I tend to think they're just trying to sell newspapers/get eyeballs on their website, but maybe there's something there?

If he'd come out last year, he may have gone #1, certainly not out of the top 5. He's got nowhere do go but down. Are there chinks appearing in his armour? Will he drop like Leinhart did? Staying in school another year may cost him a lot of money if the scouts start picking him apart.

Of course, it could be a couple of guys just trying to be controversial.

Brandon494
11-03-2011, 05:45 AM
He's the clear #1 pick, not even worth debating.

Brandon494
11-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I do believe Cam Newton is a better QB though

mraynrand
11-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I do believe Cam Newton is a better QB though

of course you do! :lol: Some things need not be stated. I think Dalton is better than Luck.

Cheesehead Craig
11-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Luck is being so hyped he simply won't live up to it. His game and all his decisions will be picked apart by everyone.

He's doomed to fail.

mraynrand
11-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Luck is being so hyped he simply won't live up to it. His game and all his decisions will be picked apart by everyone.

He's doomed to fail.

I think it depends on the situation. Compare Sam Bradford to Cam Newton or Andy Dalton. Even with solid NFL QB talent, you're gonna struggle without talent surrounding you. Cam came into a team with a solid O-line, two high level TEs, a running game, and an exceptional all-pro WR, and that other WR guy 'Da do da Day.' Dalton has a good line, an excellent run game, and got a top flight, stretch-the-field WR - Green - to boot. Bradford got a running back and a marginal line. Now he will have Lloyd. It's not really enough. If Luck goes to a sewer of a team, he will struggle. I noticed that the Colts drafted heavily in the O-line the last year or so. It's possible Luck could walk into a decent situation there, assuming they sign some of their most valuable free agents. Wait and see....

Fritz
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I really believe that having the balls to keep a guy on the bench for at least a year is tremendously helpful. I know some guys come right in, but a year of watch-and-learn would help about any QB.

I think it does depend on the situation Luck ends up in.

MadScientist
11-03-2011, 04:49 PM
The looser of the Suck for Luck contest may be in a good situation. They could go hard after Flynn in FA and then use the #2 overall to pick up a stud (WR, RB, TE, LT) to further upgrade the offense.

Lurker64
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
"Nitpicking the top QB prospect in the draft" is the easiest thing to do in the draftnik business.

But, Luck is the best NFL prospect as a college QB I've personally seen. He's a cut above guys like Newton, Stafford, Bradford, etc. as an NFL prospect. Whether or not he'll turn into a player, it's impossible to tell. A lot depends on what sort of situation he lands in.

King Friday
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
How many QBs have come out of the PAC10 with great pedigrees only to fall flat on their face, especially recently?

Rodgers is the one guy who has found great success at the next level...but he was also the one who was dissed in the draft process.

Personally, I'm not a huge Luck fan. I think he's a reasonable talent, but I'm guessing at least one of the other QBs in this draft will wind up being better. He's not worth all the hype he's getting IMO.

ThunderDan
11-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly, if you really wanted to turn your franchise around in a hurry, I would pick Luck and trade him for two 1s and a 2nd or some sort of similar arrangement. Get as many high draft picks as possible and hope you hit on a couple. You may be trading some sucess this year to build a stronger team down the road.

The opposite of this strategy is what ATL did to grab the WR. No player is worth that many draft picks.

mraynrand
11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
The opposite of this strategy is what ATL did to grab the WR. No player is worth that many draft picks.

Say that again and I'll beat the life out of you
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/HEALTH/10/11/herschel.fitness.martial.arts/story.walker.fighting.sf.jpg

woodbuck27
11-04-2011, 02:56 AM
I really believe that having the balls to keep a guy on the bench for at least a year is tremendously helpful. I know some guys come right in, but a year of watch-and-learn would help about any QB.

I think it does depend on the situation Luck ends up in.

Exactly. He can't be placed unde fire too soon. It's a huge leap to the NFL and 'of course' for him to a team that is ranked at the bottom s has many issues to address and fix before becoming elite again. The team drafting Luck cannot do so and make him another brand new bigger part of a progressing problem.

Cheesehead Craig
11-04-2011, 08:53 AM
The looser of the Suck for Luck contest may be in a good situation. They could go hard after Flynn in FA and then use the #2 overall to pick up a stud (WR, RB, TE, LT) to further upgrade the offense.

What I was thinking as well. Justin Blackmon at Ok St is a monster WR and would be a big-time offensive upgrade for a team in that spot.

Fritz
11-04-2011, 06:18 PM
How many wide receivers are worth taking with the #2 overall pick? Is this Blackmon as good as CJ?

channtheman
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Luck doubters are gay?

MJZiggy
11-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Seen a few people have come out doubting Luck's ability to be an NFL QB. I tend to think they're just trying to sell newspapers/get eyeballs on their website, but maybe there's something there?

If he'd come out last year, he may have gone #1, certainly not out of the top 5. He's got nowhere do go but down. Are there chinks appearing in his armour? Will he drop like Leinhart did? Staying in school another year may cost him a lot of money if the scouts start picking him apart.

Of course, it could be a couple of guys just trying to be controversial.

Are the people questioning his abilities perhaps the teams likely to have the second through fifth picks?

Pugger
11-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately for Luck he's gonna get stuck on one of the NFL's bottom feeders and will be thrown to the wolves as a rookie. If he goes to Indy he might have a decent chance to succeed if Manning returns in 2012. Then Luck can do what Rodgers was able to do - be the backup to a HOF QB until he is ready to start.

rbaloha1
11-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Luck is the best qb prospect since Elway. Shall have Newton type success. Whatever team Luck is drafted to shall be a playoff contender in Year 2.

Runs a pro style west coast offense. Transition is not an issue.

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
How many wide receivers are worth taking with the #2 overall pick? Is this Blackmon as good as CJ?

He is. Not yet to CJ standards but he's fantastic. He's similar to Dez Bryant but not an ass like him and has a great work ethic. Gonna be a superstar.

mmmdk
11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Nothin' but Luck!