PDA

View Full Version : Nike Neal maybe practicing next week!

Upnorth
11-03-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=6327

I think this is great news. I realize he is not back yet, but to get him a bit closer to the feild is great.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
It takes time to get an atrophied muscle built up.

I'm not counting on much from Neal, maybe after Xmass.

Brandon494
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Very good news until he gets injured again.

Harlan Huckleby
11-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't think he is terribly prone to re-injury, although that is more likely than before.

I just think it will be a while before he gets the power back in that leg. He's gonna look like shit as a football player for a while. If he can play a bit in December, maybe he'll be contributing in January.

Packers4Glory
11-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Only thing I know is he tweets a lot now a days. This years most disappointing player award goes to Mike Neal by a land slide. The guy who was suppose to step in for CJ...stepped in a pile of shit instead. I'm sure its not his fault but its frustrating as a fan.

Tony Oday
11-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Only thing I know is he tweets a lot now a days. This years most disappointing player award goes to Mike Neal by a land slide. The guy who was suppose to step in for CJ...stepped in a pile of shit instead. I'm sure its not his fault but its frustrating as a fan.

100% disagree. I think the BIGGEST disapointment has to go to the LB opposite CMIII, be it Walden, Zombo, So'oto whomever.

MadScientist
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
100% disagree. I think the BIGGEST disappointment has to go to the LB opposite CMIII, be it Walden, Zombo, So'oto whomever.
For the LB crew, we were expecting mediocre and got poor. For Neal, due to the hype, we were expecting good an have gotten zip.
Good - zip > mediocre - poor, so Neal is the bigger disappointment.

Fritz
11-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, he's practicing. Maybe he'll play a little in December, get back into the swing for January. If he doesn't get hurt again.

channtheman
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
TT has a great hit on a D lineman (Raji) and then a couple of big time injury busts (Harrell and Neal). I don't ever expect anything out of Neal.

smuggler
11-04-2011, 04:33 AM
As someone who has had a cartilage injury (baseball), I'll say he should be good to go the minute he can play without reinjury. Of course, my game was mostly speed, but I think the same logic would apply.

denverYooper
11-04-2011, 11:09 AM
The title of this thread makes me laugh every time I see it.

I think it's the "maybe" in the title and the state of Green Bay's pass rush.

mraynrand
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Green Bay has a pass rush?

RashanGary
11-04-2011, 12:15 PM
If he's strong for the playoffs, I'm good.

Patler
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Football players are such wimps now days!

Fifty years ago a player with Neal's knee would have just kept on playing with his "trick knee". It might have caused his knee to lock up every now and then, making him fall on his face while running, but so what????

Cleft Crusty
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Fifty years ago a player with Neal's knee would have just kept on playing with his "trick knee". It might have caused his knee to lock up every now and then, making him fall on his face while running, but so what????

You are right on the money there, Patler. To hear Neal and the Packer staff talk about his knee injury, you'd think the Good Lord only gave us one leg each.

Upnorth
11-04-2011, 03:02 PM
The title of this thread makes me laugh every time I see it.

I think it's the "maybe" in the title and the state of Green Bay's pass rush.

When your needy, hope is a beautiful thing.

Fritz
11-04-2011, 06:01 PM

And if an eyeball popped out, they'd pop it back in and get back out there, dammit.

swede
11-04-2011, 08:49 PM
And if an eyeball popped out, they'd pop it back in and get back out there, dammit.

No school like the old school.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTc5MjY5MjY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDMzODM2._V1._ SY314_CR6,0,214,314_.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
11-04-2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111102133

“My quad went from being super ginormous to looking like a baby leg. I look like I have one of the trainer’s legs,” Neal said.

Unless he takes Patler's advice, rubs some mud on it and gets the hell out there, it is going to be a while before Neal is football ready.

How quickly do muscles build up? A month and a half would be fast.

gbgary
11-04-2011, 10:12 PM

they'd rub some dirt on it first.

channtheman
11-04-2011, 11:31 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011111102133

“My quad went from being super ginormous to looking like a baby leg. I look like I have one of the trainer’s legs,” Neal said.

Unless he takes Patler's advice, rubs some mud on it and gets the hell out there, it is going to be a while before Neal is football ready.

How quickly do muscles build up? A month and a half would be fast.

As if I needed even more reason to think I'll never see Neal play for the Packers. Some guys come to the NFL and juts get hurt, and then they get hurt again, and then again, and (you get the point). I think Neal is one of those guys. And the funny thing is, we don't even know if he is any good. For all we know, he could be a bust on the field as well!

Guiness
11-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I just looked back through the injury report, Mathews has been listed for his quad, and hasn't had a full practice since week 3!

Pugger
11-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Green Bay has a pass rush?

Unfortunately no.

RashanGary
11-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Sounds like a bunch of retards to me.

rbaloha1
11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Is Neal Justin Harrell II?

Patler
11-05-2011, 08:56 PM

You are right on the money there, Patler. To hear Neal and the Packer staff talk about his knee injury, you'd think the Good Lord only gave us one leg each.

Ya, it wasn't that long ago that knee surgery generally meant the end of your career. Athletes just didn't recover from it very well, so they played with it as long as they possibly could without having the surgery. Running backs especially used to talk about there "trick knees". Some could play again, but many never came close to what they were before the surgery. Knee surgery required an incision about 12" long, and they would expose the whole knee. Rehab meant immobilizing the knee for quite a while, now the PTs are with you the next day.

I often wonder what Gale Sayers career might have been if the arthroscopic techniques of the last 15-20 years had been available to him.

Fritz
11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Ya, it wasn't that long ago that knee surgery generally meant the end of your career. Athletes just didn't recover from it very well, so they played with it as long as they possibly could without having the surgery. Running backs especially used to talk about there "trick knees". Some could play again, but many never came close to what they were before the surgery. Knee surgery required an incision about 12" long, and they would expose the whole knee. Rehab meant immobilizing the knee for quite a while, now the PTs are with you the next day.

I often wonder what Gale Sayers career might have been if the arthroscopic techniques of the last 15-20 years had been available to him.

I find myself wondering the same sorts of things. I think Sayers might've gone done as one of the all-time greats, right there with Jim Brown.

I think it would've affected RB's more than others, but how about Nitsck? Would the end of his career been different?

mraynrand
11-06-2011, 11:10 AM
One thing that's kind of interesting about these injuries, is that, for example, when you blow out an ACL, you get all this associated trauma to the knee - swelling, inflammatory response, etc. Those things cause a lot of damage in the knee as well, and actually speed up the process of degeneration. So while you get surgery to fix the central problem, and you can return to the field, other damage can also affect flexibility and long term knee health - so that early onset arthritis is almost a given. This is an area of active research, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that addressing the immediate damage response, coupled with stem cell therapies to generate new cartilage, that within 20 years, most major injuries will be treated to to the extent of a 'perfect fix' - at least for the highest level athletes. You could even see the most valuable athletes grow their own tissue bank of cartilage, etc. as a precaution against injury. Just like some people self donate blood for surgeries down the road.

pbmax
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM

Yep.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-11-02/sports/20873850_1_artificial-leg-artificial-limb-artificial-right-knee